Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LATN  (Read 566 times)

Johnson1111

LATN
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »

Would the nails stay in forever after both legs have been nailed?

And if so, How does this effect your risk of getting an infection like swimming in a lake or getting your legs dirty hiking etc? Or does that not matter and it will be fine?

So once both legs are nailed recovery time is an additional 3-6 months? So this is essentially over a year of limited/no mobility once your first surgery starts?

Android

Re: LATN
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »

Typically the nails are removed a year or two later, after consolidation.

Infection after getting stitched up isn't a concern. If any infection is detected, it'll be early on after nail insertion. It won't be due to outdoor activities.

Once nails are in, you begin consolidation like other methods. Advantage here compared to classic Ilizarov is that you have weight bearing without frames. Mobility will be limited, you'll need crutches for at least a couple months. Even after, your gait won't be quite right for another few months.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Johnson1111

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »

Typically the nails are removed a year or two later, after consolidation.

Infection after getting stitched up isn't a concern. If any infection is detected, it'll be early on after nail insertion. It won't be due to outdoor activities.

Once nails are in, you begin consolidation like other methods. Advantage here compared to classic Ilizarov is that you have weight bearing without frames. Mobility will be limited, you'll need crutches for at least a couple months. Even after, your gait won't be quite right for another few months.

That's interesting because the doctor I was speaking with that recommended me to do this method said that they should be fine to stay in forever. I wonder why he said that then?

Also I appreciate your response as always. So if i'm lengthening using LATN my right leg first, by the time my left leg is nailed i'll probably be already all set to walk on the right in most cases correct?

Android

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »

That's interesting because the doctor I was speaking with that recommended me to do this method said that they should be fine to stay in forever. I wonder why he said that then?

Also I appreciate your response as always. So if i'm lengthening using LATN my right leg first, by the time my left leg is nailed i'll probably be already all set to walk on the right in most cases correct?

They could stay in forever if you don't mind them there. If you have knee pain, removing them may help a lot, so keep that in mind. But since you're considering femurs, I guess you'll be fine.

Just an FYI for others, nails like Precice should be removed, since they contain rare metals inside that could cause problems if there's leakage (though odds are very low). If you're in an accident, nail breakage would complicate matters as well.

And your second question: yes, your first leg operated should be in good shape to walk by the time you start the process on your other leg. Lengthen first leg, consolidation + restore gait (3-4 months), then operate on other leg.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh
Pages: [1]   Go Up