Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice 2.2 Questions  (Read 1015 times)

AD93

Precice 2.2 Questions
« on: March 12, 2024, 12:48:02 AM »

I have a few questions regarding Precice 2.2 I hope someone can answer them for me:

1- How long will it take approximately to be able to walk with crutches after lengthening?

2- How long till I can walk without crutches? I heard after 6 months..

3- Am I able to walk with a walker like when going to the bathroom during lengthening phase or I that might break the nail?

4- In your opinion would G-Nail be better since you recover much faster? (because I heard that people always have difficulty with the clicks of the G-nail)

Thanks in advance :)

CLLvet

Re: Precice 2.2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 02:50:05 PM »

I have a few questions regarding Precice 2.2 I hope someone can answer them for me:

1- How long will it take approximately to be able to walk with crutches after lengthening?

2- How long till I can walk without crutches? I heard after 6 months..

3- Am I able to walk with a walker like when going to the bathroom during lengthening phase or I that might break the nail?

4- In your opinion would G-Nail be better since you recover much faster? (because I heard that people always have difficulty with the clicks of the G-nail)

Thanks in advance :)

My recommendation would be to send an email to your doctor and ask these questions to him. They are well within his purview. But as for some approximate timelines for Precice patients, here are some. These are all post-lengthening completion (not post surgery date).

These are estimates and depend on the patient-

Precise Recovery Timelines (after lengthening completed)

First month post lengthening: Keep using wheelchair
1-month post lengthening: Stop using wheelchair, can move around with walker
2-2.5 months post lengthening: Transition from walker to crutches
3-4 months post lengthening: Begin walking unassisted (without crutches)

If you use G-Nail, subtract about 1-1.5 months from the timeline above and that will be your recovery timeline post-lengthening.

Again, these are estimates. This will vary based on your bone consolidation rate, which can vary a lot from patient to patient

174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)

AD93

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:19:01 PM »

My recommendation would be to send an email to your doctor and ask these questions to him. They are well within his purview. But as for some approximate timelines for Precice patients, here are some. These are all post-lengthening completion (not post surgery date).

These are estimates and depend on the patient-

Precise Recovery Timelines (after lengthening completed)

First month post lengthening: Keep using wheelchair
1-month post lengthening: Stop using wheelchair, can move around with walker
2-2.5 months post lengthening: Transition from walker to crutches
3-4 months post lengthening: Begin walking unassisted (without crutches)

If you use G-Nail, subtract about 1-1.5 months from the timeline above and that will be your recovery timeline post-lengthening.

Again, these are estimates. This will vary based on your bone consolidation rate, which can vary a lot from patient to patient

Hey man! Thanks for the info! yeah I think will send him an email and check with him. I have a question that had been on my mind for a while, were you able to squat and gain your muscle back ? I'm afraid I wont be able to even do the squat position, which is something I do daily when I try to get out of my car since it is very low haha

jbfjbj4

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 03:38:59 PM »

Hey man! Thanks for the info! yeah I think will send him an email and check with him. I have a question that had been on my mind for a while, were you able to squat and gain your muscle back ? I'm afraid I wont be able to even do the squat position, which is something I do daily when I try to get out of my car since it is very low haha

You'll push yourself up with your hands.

I'm 11 months post-surgery and still can't do a full squat. Or even a half squat tbh. But everything else is fine.

CLLvet

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 05:23:54 PM »

You'll push yourself up with your hands.

I'm 11 months post-surgery and still can't do a full squat. Or even a half squat tbh. But everything else is fine.

I was able to do a full squat probably 4 or 5 months into consolidation. Around the same time I was able to start walking around carrying heavy groceries. So my recovery timeline is different perhaps.

But I also used a fully weight bearing femur nail.  So I can't speak to a Precise patient.

As for now, I'm about 7 months consolidation in my tibias. I can squat, jog, jump, and do pretty much whatever I want. I don't feel limited in any way. Except maybe high intensity sprinting. Haven't really tried that though either, so I may surprise myself
174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)

AD93

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 09:13:09 AM »

But it seems like a lot of people cannot do the squatting position without putting pressure on the knees or maybe can't get deep enough to reach something on the ground especially since this might be important when you want to pick something up, not sure but would love to hear from other people as well who fully recovered, Also another thing would be getting up from the chair will I have to hold on something to get up?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 09:45:06 AM by AD93 »

Beemer m3

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 09:30:55 AM »

going up from a chair is easy as time goes on . like i say 3 months after initial surgery. then gradually use dumbells to sit and stand. for me i cant do a full squat. im squating with weights but its not full. not sure when i can do that. im not fully consolidated so i cant really jump also. i can bend my leg fully when im on the bed though so thats good.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

jbfjbj4

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 07:49:10 AM »

I was able to do a full squat probably 4 or 5 months into consolidation. Around the same time I was able to start walking around carrying heavy groceries. So my recovery timeline is different perhaps.

But I also used a fully weight bearing femur nail.  So I can't speak to a Precise patient.

As for now, I'm about 7 months consolidation in my tibias. I can squat, jog, jump, and do pretty much whatever I want. I don't feel limited in any way. Except maybe high intensity sprinting. Haven't really tried that though either, so I may surprise myself

6 months into consolidation here/11 months post surgery. Can walk 100% fine, can't jog or squat. That's with gnail.

Still perfectly happy I got it done though. Just don't drop things on the floor around other people, simple as that.

jbfjbj4

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 07:51:45 AM »

But it seems like a lot of people cannot do the squatting position without putting pressure on the knees or maybe can't get deep enough to reach something on the ground especially since this might be important when you want to pick something up, not sure but would love to hear from other people as well who fully recovered, Also another thing would be getting up from the chair will I have to hold on something to get up?

You can bend over to pick something up from the floor (well, when you're consolidated). Your ability to squat likely comes back in time but in my experience, not quickly. For instance, I used to not be able to get up from the bed without using my hands - now I can. I can get up from some chairs hands-free but others i need to push down with a hand. This improves a bit each month.

AD93

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 07:59:05 AM »

You can bend over to pick something up from the floor (well, when you're consolidated). Your ability to squat likely comes back in time but in my experience, not quickly. For instance, I used to not be able to get up from the bed without using my hands - now I can. I can get up from some chairs hands-free but others i need to push down with a hand. This improves a bit each month.

Did you only do femurs?

jbfjbj4

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 04:06:02 PM »

Did you only do femurs?

Yeah, 9.2cm tho so quite a bit. I did gnail. From talking to others at the clinic, there's no real difference in recovery times with both - I've seen precise patients recover faster than gnail and vice versa. Gnail is easier during the lengthening period itself although yeah the clicking is pretty bad at the start (and ultimately I had to stop at 9.2 because it became too difficult again to click, I'd have maxed out the nail to 10cm otherwise).
Pages: [1]   Go Up