Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference in "pain management policies" of different doctors?  (Read 2277 times)

Mtall

I just wanted to know, because there seems to be vast differences in the pain level reported by different LLers:

Are some doctors more likely to give you strong painkillers to reduce your pain? And are some doctors more demanding when it comes to their patients having to tolerate the pain?
In particular, patients of Dr. Mangal Parihar and Dr. Manish Dhawan, can you please tell me the readiness of these 2 doctors (who are very reputed and well respected) to give you strong painkillers?

ub40

Re: Difference in "pain management policies" of different doctors?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »

3 posts about pain, no offence man but maybe this might not be the best procedure for you.

One of the main reasons they do the psychological evaluation for this surgery is to see if a person won't breakdown from the isolation, from being handicapped and from the pain. While I think the first two are bigger issues you have to go in with the mentality that there will be unavoidable pain in some circumstances. You're having your legs broken and stretched

It's not medieval torture and no doctor wants you to be uncomfortable but there is no escaping it. It's not like stepping on glas or getting burnt, it's bearable but it's chronic pain and it destroys your morale at times. Ask yourself if it's a fair trade, because it's unavoidable
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:57:50 PM »

Dr Parihar thinks it's important you're in a good state of mind and doesn't want you to get "loopy" off of pain meds, so most of the pain relievers he prescribes are light.

After the effect of the epidural wore off I was given injections (perhaps morphine) the first few nights for pain management when it was at its worst, which I think was the 2nd and 3rd day after surgery. You're given an NSAID called Voveran SR along with antacids for 5 days, but he recommends only taking it if the pain is intolerable. After that you're moved off of them and given a pain medication called Ultracet, which is a tramadol/tylenol combo. If there's a point where the pain is really bad again despite the use of Ultraset, they'll give you an NSAID supply again, but only enough to last for 7 days if taken once a day (I did bring my own bottle of Ibuprofen though, which I resorted to taking once or twice after the NSAIDs that Dr Parihar prescribed ran out).
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Mtall

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:15:56 PM »

3 posts about pain, no offence man but maybe this might not be the best procedure for you.

One of the main reasons they do the psychological evaluation for this surgery is to see if a person won't breakdown from the isolation, from being handicapped and from the pain. While I think the first two are bigger issues you have to go in with the mentality that there will be unavoidable pain in some circumstances. You're having your legs broken and stretched

It's not medieval torture and no doctor wants you to be uncomfortable but there is no escaping it. It's not like stepping on glas or getting burnt, it's bearable but it's chronic pain and it destroys your morale at times. Ask yourself if it's a fair trade, because it's unavoidable

I'll have to do LL surgery, there's no two ways to that. I, like everyone else in this world, would probably want to make things easier for myself during this trying time.

Mtall

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »

After the effect of the epidural wore off I was given injections (perhaps morphine) the first few nights for pain management when it was at its worst, which I think was the 2nd and 3rd day after surgery.  NSAIDs that Dr Parihar prescribed ran out).

Kilokahn, how do you know if the pain was at its worst if you were given the morphine? Do they wait for you to howl in pain and then give it you or is it standard procedure to give morphine for the 1st few nights after surgery?
One more thing, I really admire the way you come back to this forum even after successfully finishing your LL journey. People like me who are just starting off will never be able to thank you LL veterans enough.

ub40

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

I'll have to do LL surgery, there's no two ways to that. I, like everyone else in this world, would probably want to make things easier for myself during this trying time.

Of course, just try and not psyche yourself out. People are pretty resilient and actually adapt to pretty difficult situations very fast. I surprised myself to be honest
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating
Pages: [1]   Go Up