Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I screwed by being East Asian? It seems to be the consensus on this forum  (Read 673 times)

Apparition

• Visitor

I just read this post: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9105.0

Quotes:

"i read somewhere that even LL doctors acknowledge there are slight differents between caucasians and east asian bones; i believe east asian bones are more hollow (?)"

"East, Southeast (and probably South) Asians tend to have thinner bones on average, which can be a problem for intramedullary nailing."

"Mylogin is right, race effects type of bone and bone formation. Non union is typical for East Asia patients. I met some."

Am I destined to never be able to do LL because Asian bones are too weak and small to cope with it? It seems that the general consensus on this forum is that Asian = guaranteed non union. The thread I quoted is not the only thread here I've seen saying that.
Starting height: 169cm / 5'7"

Goal height: 182cm / almost 6'0"

epikness

That's like saying once asians injure their bones, they'll never be able to use that limb again.

No, they are certainly different in form and structure from caucasians/african people but they can still limb lengthen fine.
Those people who claim that every Asian person will have non-union is just dumb. Might as well say that anybody that has a broken leg or arm as an asian will never be able to use it again.

Ghostfish

When I was in Paley institute, a lot of patients are actually asians, including small asian girls.  They didn't have any problem to insert nails.  None had problem of non union either.

cheekycabs

I'm South East Asian and I just did LL. What a crock of crap.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Sanity

is there a scientifc backing on this? if yes plz show
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

GrowTow

Wouldn't having different types of bones make different races different species?

I'm pretty sure everyone has the same biological make up.

Some races may have higher chances of having bigger stronger bones etc but i've definitely not heard anything about 1 specific race having hollow and unhollow bones.

Also, I think it should be an advantage to be Eastern Asian for height surgery as Drs will have most experience with other people of your background. If i'm not wrong, East Asians are the second highest percentage of people who do this surgery after South Asians.
May 2023: Completed 5.3cm LON Tibia w AFA 164>169
Upcoming LON Femur in October 2023

myloginacc

Wouldn't having different types of bones make different races different species?

I'm pretty sure everyone has the same biological make up.

Some races may have higher chances of having bigger stronger bones etc but i've definitely not heard anything about 1 specific race having hollow and unhollow bones.

Also, I think it should be an advantage to be Eastern Asian for height surgery as Drs will have most experience with other people of your background. If i'm not wrong, East Asians are the second highest percentage of people who do this surgery after South Asians.

Bone size is just another aspect of one's genetic makeup. Like any phenotype, it varies across the world.

With that said, despite being quoted in one of posts here, I don't think East Asians should have a notably harder time with CLL, as long the nail's diameter was chosen appropriately for the patient. It was Guichet's opinion that "wide bone caucasians" healed faster.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up