Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RB - Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021  (Read 20912 times)

SirStretchAlot

Re: RB - Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2021, 11:27:31 PM »

Yeah you may be right on that, I´m looking for appointments now and will most likely have to wait 1,5-2 Months before having a safe surgery date anyway, so i´m going to use that time to at least TRY to stretch the IT-band as much as possible and also work a lot on my hip flexor mobility, that seems to be a good plan for the next weeks ahead. Other than that of course muscle athrophy and lack of strength is the second major issue, I´m already working multiple times a week on bringing back quads, glutes etc. but of course that will take some time as well, since I´m only 1 week into consolidation phase. Betz looked over my Xrays 2 days ago and basically told me everything is where its supposed to be at this point, still have to be careful tho and walk on crutches for at least 3 more months until he needs the next Xrays from the front and side. Honestly thats all to be expected and tolerable but as RB´s experience already showed, just being able to stand up STRAIGHT with feed in close from the ITB-release and feel your true height makes such a huch difference and most likely gives you a huge mental advantage for the next months in crutches that lie ahead. I hope to experience the same feeling soon, right now my mental state really isnt all that good as lengthning itself was very tough and now I gotta deal with the wide legs issue.

If you're in Europe, I'd recommend Giotikas from Athens. You shouldn't have to wait 1.5-2 months for an ITB surgery. It's 20 minutes long, and can fit into any doctor's schedule. I would do it ASAP so you can stretch more effectively. The ITB will compltely prevent you from stretching your hip abuctors for example.

If you're already in consolidation, then your muscle atrophy will reverse quite quickly. You will experience significant reduction in weakness each week. It's one of the few problems that go away by itself after lengthening. :)
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

LegendKiller

• Visitor
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »

If you're in Europe, I'd recommend Giotikas from Athens. You shouldn't have to wait 1.5-2 months for an ITB surgery. It's 20 minutes long, and can fit into any doctor's schedule. I would do it ASAP so you can stretch more effectively. The ITB will compltely prevent you from stretching your hip abuctors for example.

If you're already in consolidation, then your muscle atrophy will reverse quite quickly. You will experience significant reduction in weakness each week. It's one of the few problems that go away by itself after lengthening. :)

Yeah bro but I'm not going to go to another country to get that done, I'll do it here in Germany plenty of orthopedic surgeons out here who should be able to solve that problem.... I'll def do it asap once I found out the right guy to perform it on me so I can get back to 100% as quickly as possible.

Hope you are right on the muscle weakness slowly leaving each week, I'm only one week inti, consolidation so I'm just going to continue training and see how it goes. :)
Starting height: 172cm

Final height : 182,5cm

nebula79283

• Visitor
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2021, 01:59:06 AM »

Do you plan on also doing tibias later down the line?

RB

« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2021, 06:34:37 AM »

Do you plan on also doing tibias later down the line?

Probably not. I’m very satisfied with my height now and don’t want to put myself through this process again. Would be nice to be 175-176 after tibias but to me it’s not worth the extra money, recovery, risks with tibias and loss of athleticism. Never say never though.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Growing

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2021, 11:45:01 PM »

Probably not. I’m very satisfied with my height now and don’t want to put myself through this process again. Would be nice to be 175-176 after tibias but to me it’s not worth the extra money, recovery, risks with tibias and loss of athleticism. Never say never though.

Sup RB any update? Andy photos or walking videos?

RB

« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2021, 01:12:26 AM »

Sup RB any update? Andy photos or walking videos?

Hey man, I'm doing well at the moment. Walking 100% unassisted with gait at about 85-90% normal. I'll provide a full update and xrays in about 3.5 weeks time when I hit the 6 month post surgery mark which will probably be one of my last update posts on the forum. DM me if you want to see a walking vid.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

lucindaris

« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2021, 01:55:07 AM »

How much did it cost as entire process? Nail + Surgery + Removel + Additional Costs in Germany? I'd like to have approx number.

RB

« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2021, 04:01:26 AM »

How much did it cost as entire process? Nail + Surgery + Removel + Additional Costs in Germany? I'd like to have approx number.

I’d say around 56k euros inclusive of surgery, accomodation, medication, food, PT etc. The removal is an extra 6.7k euros I believe.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

RB

« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2021, 09:29:08 AM »

Hey guys,

It's been a while since an update - mainly because life is slowly moving on and every day the memory of the surgery fades more and more. I started this journey excited, scared and hopeful. My height neurosis had developed from early high school and had only intensified into adulthood. Being 5'4" is a rough height for a man and people will often make sure that you aware of that. I would think about my height every day and it would be the first thing on my mind in every face to face interaction with people. It became so ingrained in my subconscious to the point where I couldn't escape my own thoughts regarding my height, or lack thereof. Despite having a beautiful girlfriend and multiple past relationships, despite building my own business and progressing well in my corporate career at an early age, despite having lots of friends and despite enjoying life by travelling and experiencing as much as the world has to offer, I could never shake the feeling that no matter what I did or how successful I became, I would always be the 'short guy' and have that defining characteristic follow me wherever I went. Not all short men feel like this though, I know 3 men at my previous height who genuinely seem like they don't have an issue with their height at all and would never consider something as drastic as this. Short height is not a barrier to living a happy and successful life so I made sure that I lived life to the fullest in everything that I did despite my nagging height neurosis.

I am the type of person that if there is a solution to something that is deeply important to me, I just have to explore it, no matter how drastic that solution might be. When I first discovered internal LL in 2018, my first thought was "These people are insane, I could never break my legs for a few inches", but then as I learned more and more about the procedure, I began to feel the opposite way and began to intensely research and decided to get this done one day. That process took about 6 months from first discovering LL. I would go back and forth between wanting the surgery then not wanting it and then back again. I finally decided to commit that one day I would get the surgery and nothing would stop me from achieving that goal. Not a global pandemic with a narrow window to get a travel exemption to leave the country, not the recall of Stryde 1 month before I was scheduled in Greece, not being locked up in a hotel room with no fresh air for 2 weeks with 2 broken legs. I decided that nothing would stop me from achieving my goal. I was hellbent on achieving it. The greatest thing that this process has taught me as cheesy as it sounds is that no matter how difficult the changing circumstances are that will attempt to derail you from achieving your goal, if it is extremely important to you and you dedicate yourself completely to that goal, you will achieve it.

Now 6.5 months later, I can honestly say this has been one of the best decisions of my life. I no longer hate the way I feel around other people and I no longer think about how short I am. In fact, I bought a stadiometer to measure my final height and to my surprise I measure 172cm out of bed and stay around 171.5-171 throughout the day. Either I measured my initial height wrong or Betz made a bigger gap in the osteotomy than 0.5mm. Either way I am thrilled at basically being 5'8" now lol. I had a relatively smooth process apart from needing an ITB release (which was an insanely quick recovery) and I do know that my thoughts on if this is worth it would be affected if I had run into severe complications. This is why it is so important to choose a safe method and doctor. I may not agree with Dr. Betz not performing an ITB release but aside from that he is as a good of an LL surgeon as there is in the world especially from a technical standpoint.

Do I recommend this surgery? I recommend it to people who have genuine height neurosis and have other areas of their life maxed out. I don't mean some slight dissatisfaction with your height (as most guys below average have anyway) but a genuine neurosis that cannot be cured with therapy (which it can't despite what they tell you). If that sounds like you then this surgery can definitely change your life for the better. It has changed mine. I still haven't seen my friends due to lockdown (will in a few weeks) and am a bit worried about their reactions to the height increase but at the end of the day I did this for me and I would rather receive comments on looking taller the first couple of times I see them than living the rest of my life with height neurosis. This surgery is risky but if you mitigate risk by going to a good surgeon and dong an internal method and keeping your goal realistic, it can absolutely be worth it.

My gait is now at about 90-95% and is undetectable to the casual observer. I am still a few months off running as even though my consolidation is great, I want to take it easy in the athletic recovery department. One day I hope to get back to competitive sports although a I acknowledge this will never be at the same level. But I am ok with that.

I wanted to thank you guys for providing info and good discussion in the lead up to my prep for this surgery. The forum isn't what it once was with some of these ridiculous trolls and threads but there are some good people here with genuine intent to learn about this and get it done in the future. I hope the community continues to improve and has found value and benefit in my experience. This will be one of my last posts before I leave for good. As always feel free to ask any questions! Thanks guys, wishing you all the best with your future LL journeys.

RB
5'4" > 5'7.5"

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »

My gait is now at about 90-95% and is undetectable to the casual observer. I am still a few months off running as even though my consolidation is great, I want to take it easy in the athletic recovery department.

Long time no see, RB. I am glad to know that you are doing good and are happy about undertaking this surgery. Also, it's good to know that your gait is now almost normal.
I wish you good luck and success in your life.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

Johnp86

• Visitor
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »

I was waiting for your feedback, happy to read that you are back to almost 100% with your gait and that your height neurosis is now cured. Thanks for sharing your story and experience, enjoy your new life bro

Want-3-inches

« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »

Congrats RB. Your will power is impressive. I wish I had the courage to go to Betz. In spite of many such good outcomes, some bad outcomes and potential problems with clicking makes me feel afraid to go there. But in most cases I think it's a pretty smooth a fast experience with Betz.

JimmyJW

• Visitor
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »

Congratulations RB. Thank you for sharing your experience.

RB

« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2021, 09:38:57 AM »

Long time no see, RB. I am glad to know that you are doing good and are happy about undertaking this surgery. Also, it's good to know that your gait is now almost normal.
I wish you good luck and success in your life.

Thanks man! Glad to see you have also achieved your goal and are also happy with the results. I also wish you good luck and success!

I was waiting for your feedback, happy to read that you are back to almost 100% with your gait and that your height neurosis is now cured. Thanks for sharing your story and experience, enjoy your new life bro

Thanks man means a lot. Might see you again one day when I'm back in Europe!

Congratulations RB. Thank you for sharing your experience.

No problem at all man! Glad I could be of help to the community.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »

6.5 months and unnoticable gait! Congrats!

Do you happen to have trouble sleeping in certain positions or feel tight in certain areas? Does your butt hurt from sitting too long?

Thanks

RB

« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2021, 11:16:23 AM »

6.5 months and unnoticable gait! Congrats!

Do you happen to have trouble sleeping in certain positions or feel tight in certain areas? Does your butt hurt from sitting too long?

Thanks

Thanks man! Also really great to see you achieve your goal and finish lengthening.

I had trouble sleeping in certain positions up until around 4.5-5 months post surgery. Now especially in the last few weeks I have no issues moving as much as I want, tossing and turning etc. It lasts for a while after lengthening but it goes away completely eventually.

As for the butt hurting, I don't have any pain anymore unless I sit on a wooden chair or something. The butt muscles do come back so the pain will decrease over time but I still have a flat pancake but unfortunately lol.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

eric.cartman

« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »

I wanted to thank you guys for providing info and good discussion in the lead up to my prep for this surgery. The forum isn't what it once was with some of these ridiculous trolls and threads but there are some good people here with genuine intent to learn about this and get it done in the future. I hope the community continues to improve and has found value and benefit in my experience. This will be one of my last posts before I leave for good. As always feel free to ask any questions! Thanks guys, wishing you all the best with your future LL journeys.

RB
Congraulations and well done! thanks for sharing your experience here in the forum!

RB

« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2021, 04:46:55 AM »

Congraulations and well done! thanks for sharing your experience here in the forum!

Thanks mate appreciate it!
5'4" > 5'7.5"

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »

Thanks man! Also really great to see you achieve your goal and finish lengthening.

I had trouble sleeping in certain positions up until around 4.5-5 months post surgery. Now especially in the last few weeks I have no issues moving as much as I want, tossing and turning etc. It lasts for a while after lengthening but it goes away completely eventually.

As for the butt hurting, I don't have any pain anymore unless I sit on a wooden chair or something. The butt muscles do come back so the pain will decrease over time but I still have a flat pancake but unfortunately lol.

Nice! I think you even worked harder than I did. I'm 5 months since surgery and still wake up from sores from certain sleeping positions, lol.

RB

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »

Nice! I think you even worked harder than I did. I'm 5 months since surgery and still wake up from sores from certain sleeping positions, lol.

I think in the end it will go away for you too lol, it just might take a bit longer since you did 10cm.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

RB

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »

Congrats RB. Your will power is impressive. I wish I had the courage to go to Betz. In spite of many such good outcomes, some bad outcomes and potential problems with clicking makes me feel afraid to go there. But in most cases I think it's a pretty smooth a fast experience with Betz.

Thanks man!

Yeah I understand your concern regarding clicking. Most patients are fine with it in the end but it really is based on luck who struggles and who doesn't.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

VermontGuy762

• Visitor
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it's nice to hear how much it helped someone else out. I'm 5'6 on a good day and considering going for this.

Growth.journey

« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »

Questions
Questions
- Is it safe to bend over and pick up something off the floor?
- Can I work out if lying on a bench
- Do I need a physio or is dedicated stretching by yourself enough?
- How long do I need crutches for 7-8cm at 15 clicks per day
- How short distances I can walk around without crutches (5 mins? 20 mins?) is it risky to do this?
- Can I walk my dog with it?
- Possible to still have sex?
- Can I cook or will I need crutches
- Lifts in shoes? Or not good
- Best stretches?
- How do I get home with crutches and luggage
- Sleeping position at night. Can I lie on my side?
- Sleeping tablets a good idea at night?
- What’s stretches and exercises should I do prior to coming?
- Have you noticed more attention from ladies?
- What are the key things to avoid risking  a bent nail or screw.
- What are the key things to pack when coming over?
- Any good excuses to tell coworkers?
- Is it possible to work in office full time after surgery or is too hard.

1team

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2022, 09:02:32 AM »

Hi RB,

Great Diary.
Would you say you are fully recovered now?
Sent DM asking other details.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2023, 06:36:29 PM »

Any update on reactions from friends and family to your new height?  Did you tell close family?
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

GreenAvocado

• Visitor
  • To conquer the world, I must first conquer myself.
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2023, 06:22:29 AM »

Hey man, I'm doing well at the moment. Walking 100% unassisted with gait at about 85-90% normal. I'll provide a full update and xrays in about 3.5 weeks time when I hit the 6 month post surgery mark which will probably be one of my last update posts on the forum. DM me if you want to see a walking vid.

Hey RB! Congrats on your journey. I am following in your footsteps and going for 8 cm with Becker in March this year. Can I DM you for links to videos of walking over time? Curious to see how gait improved.

I believe all LL femur patients get ITB release now as well.
Current Height: 172cm (~5’8”)
Goal Height: 180cm (~5'11')
Wingspan: 178cm
Femurs with Dr. Becker: 5/10/2023

RB

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2023, 12:42:20 AM »

Hey guys. Wow it’s been a while since I have properly visited the forums. Mainly because life has been normal for a while and I don’t think about this anymore. This surgery has changed my life drastically and I can’t even describe how much of a difference being 5’7 is when you have lived your whole life at 5’4. This surgery is seriously life changing. I am also back to running and light sports and plan to go back to martial arts when i get the nails out which will be later this year to be on the safe side even though I am fully consolidated. Quick answer to qs:

Any update on reactions from friends and family to your new height?  Did you tell close family?

Funnily enough I have integrated quite well back with fam send friends with minimal suspicion raised. I think covid and lockdowns really helped me mask it but some people especially those close to my original height defs noticed and made comments but I just brushed it off and now it dosent come up anymore. Some people genuinely didn’t notice any change. And then there’s people who you can tell know something is different but don’t know what it is exactly. Overall I stressed so much over reactions but it ended up being ok in the end. People can have their suspicions but at the end of the day I couldn’t care less anymore.

Hey RB! Congrats on your journey. I am following in your footsteps and going for 8 cm with Becker in March this year. Can I DM you for links to videos of walking over time? Curious to see how gait improved.

I believe all LL femur patients get ITB release now as well.

Congrats mate and good luck with your journey. I wish I had the ITB release at the same time lol but I have a 100% normal gait for a while now.

I will likely post again when I get my nails out.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

informationispower

« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2023, 12:52:03 AM »

Did you notice any change in your dating life?

Edit: just noticed you already have a gf

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2023, 05:56:17 AM »

The second to last page of this thread was a serious wake up call to the importance of ITB.

You recovered quickly post ITB release and not getting it done was a huge hinderence to your lengthening.

I'm going to 100 percent push for an ITB release when the nails are put in. I might even get one done myself before hand if there's any resistance.
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2023, 05:58:20 AM »

Hey guys. Wow it’s been a while since I have properly visited the forums. Mainly because life has been normal for a while and I don’t think about this anymore. This surgery has changed my life drastically and I can’t even describe how much of a difference being 5’7 is when you have lived your whole life at 5’4. This surgery is seriously life changing. I am also back to running and light sports and plan to go back to martial arts when i get the nails out which will be later this year to be on the safe side even though I am fully consolidated. Quick answer to qs:

Funnily enough I have integrated quite well back with fam send friends with minimal suspicion raised. I think covid and lockdowns really helped me mask it but some people especially those close to my original height defs noticed and made comments but I just brushed it off and now it dosent come up anymore. Some people genuinely didn’t notice any change. And then there’s people who you can tell know something is different but don’t know what it is exactly. Overall I stressed so much over reactions but it ended up being ok in the end. People can have their suspicions but at the end of the day I couldn’t care less anymore.

Congrats mate and good luck with your journey. I wish I had the ITB release at the same time lol but I have a 100% normal gait for a while now.

I will likely post again when I get my nails out.

So happy you.

I saw an earlier post of yours where you mentioned you'd get an ITB release to begin with if you could do it all over again.

Would getting a proper (not soft) ITB release have made a difference?

What is your answer to people who claim cutting the ITB band will cripple you and hamper your recovery.
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

RB

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2023, 09:34:05 AM »

So happy you.

I saw an earlier post of yours where you mentioned you'd get an ITB release to begin with if you could do it all over again.

Would getting a proper (not soft) ITB release have made a difference?

What is your answer to people who claim cutting the ITB band will cripple you and hamper your recovery.

I think a soft release would have defs made a difference but people who say an ITB release even a full one like I had will cripple you are out of their minds lol. It’s a tendon release that athletes get and go back to their full athletic capability. ITB release is critical for femur lengthening and the lack of one is the one draw back of how Betz used to run his practice. It worked out well in the end for me but all that pain and wide legs could have been avoided.
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up