Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Femurs - Dr. Becker/Betzbone December 2022.  (Read 4157 times)

mc623

• Visitor
Re: Bilateral Femurs - Dr. Becker/Betzbone December 2022.
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 12:08:28 AM »

Informative. Becker said first 3cm would be hard but seems like you’re doing well.

I’ve taken 3 weeks off work initially just to get over post op pain, do you think this is enough?

I’ll just be standing whilst on laptop, so I’ll be able move around little. Do you think I’d be able Dutch crutches during my lengthening stage?

Dr. Becker says that initial lenghtening is tough in a biphasic pattern - the first one is when you are early post-operative and just starting, after you get used to clicking it gets easier, but once you reach the limits of your intrinsic soft tissue flexibility (3-4 cm according to Dr. Becker), it gets challenging then gets easier after another 1-2 cm. 

I wonder if I hit that second peak in difficulty later at about 6 cm, because after the second cm it was pretty easy until 6 cm for me.

I don’t think anyone who does femurs will be able to get rid of their crutches during lengthening, unless you plan to stay at home the whole time.  I bought pretty expensive custom ones because I’m able to write it off as a medical expense.

I planned for leaving Germany 3 weeks after the operation. That was enough for me, but you may want to buy refundable plane tickets in case you’re not feeling up to it. There was one guy who was in horrid condition at 6 or 8 weeks, but I’m not sure of his circumstances leading up to it.  You may want to account for time you’ll be spending in Germany prior to the operation.

mc623

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2023, 12:22:34 AM »

Oops total brain fart! i meant to write femurs!

I'm going to try to let my primary care doctor know after the procedure and see how to proceed from there. If not I will probably go to Urgent Care to get the Xrays done.

For physical therapy, if all fails, I will probably do it myself and follow your after your footsteps for 5 hours of stretching.

The only issue I foresee with urgent care is getting the x-rays burned to a disc or sent to you in a file, but if your urgent care centre is nice and patient, then it could work.

GreenAvocado

• Visitor
  • To conquer the world, I must first conquer myself.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2023, 05:17:57 AM »

Decided to do a small update today.

Post-op day 96, 7.5 cm

Looking in the mirror now, any shame I used to feel over my height is almost gone. As above, I'm 7.5 cm in right now, and would probably appear a bit taller if I could fix my duck ass. I've decided to stop at 8 cm as I'm pretty happy with the way things are, and would really like to get my life back together.  Currently clicking at 12 clicks a day, soon to decrease to 10 until stopping at 8 cm.

I'm still stretching 4-5 hours a day, which in truth is quite exhausting. Fortunately, I have no wide legs whatsoever, so I'm assuming all that stretching is doing something - hopefully this can provide some reassurance for people who are concerned about a "soft" release vs a "full" release, granted I'm not going for 10-11cm like other patients. I have a small amount of duck-ass, but nothing major. I don't really expect this to improve until I stop lengthening and regain the muscles in my posterior leg and abdomen.

By far, the hardest centimeter for me was between 6-7, where the tightness and fatigue were so extreme that I thought about quitting every day, however, after hitting 7 cm, the tension has decreased quite significantly, which is probably due to reducing to 12 clicks per day. Sleep has also improved significantly, but I still wake up around 3 AM, having to stretch for about 10 minutes before I can sleep again.

I'm still using crutches to ambulate, but can  make do with one crutch going short distances, or no crutches at home.

I did have repeat x rays ordered by my family doctor, which demonstrates fairly good callous formation between the segments of distracted bone.

I'm doing more in-person work now, but not nearly full-time. I do get quite a few looks while I'm walking around on crutches. It's sometimes hard to deflect questions my colleagues have for me, but this isn't so much of an issue for me. 

Once I hit 8 cm, I'm hoping that I can stretch less and instead focus on stamina and strengthening. I'm holding off on buying new clothes until I've reached a body shape that I'm happy with.

Awesome journal, and thanks for filming that video of you clicking.

You mention you stretch 5 hours a day.

What kinds of stretches do repeat for each session? (I'm assuming you have 3-4 sessions a day)

I have my surgery with Dr. Becker on 5/10/2023 and your experience has been very helpful as a point of reference.

Cheers from California!
Current Height: 172cm (~5’8”)
Goal Height: 180cm (~5'11')
Wingspan: 178cm
Femurs with Dr. Becker: 5/10/2023

mc623

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »

Awesome journal, and thanks for filming that video of you clicking.

You mention you stretch 5 hours a day.

What kinds of stretches do repeat for each session? (I'm assuming you have 3-4 sessions a day)

I have my surgery with Dr. Becker on 5/10/2023 and your experience has been very helpful as a point of reference.

Cheers from California!

There are stretches for each muscle group that attaches to your femurs + a calf stretch, so 7 muscle groups in total, 2 minutes each, 3 reps, both legs. You’ll get a package outlining the stretches when you get discharged and either the physiotherapists or the trainer will make sure you do them correctly at the rehab centre.

goodlooks

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 04:23:52 AM »

I forgot to ask, did you do physical therapy when you got back to Canada or did you just do all the stretches that the clinic taught you religiously?

mc623

• Visitor
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 07:31:17 PM »

I forgot to ask, did you do physical therapy when you got back to Canada or did you just do all the stretches that the clinic taught you religiously?

While lengthening I did mostly stretches and ROM exercises. Ambulated as much as I could without getting myself to the point of exhaustion.

Kanye Western

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 08:15:56 PM »

How's life been for you so far whilst consolidating?

h3rons

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2023, 05:32:43 PM »

hey op! congrats on your lengthening.
i had some questions-
   1) how did your proportions came out like?
   2) no one talks about this, can sitting height be an issue after lengthening in terms of relatively longer legs than rest of the body while
       sitting? 
   3) what is your opinion on a person willing to lengthen through betzbone in 2 consecutive surgeries ( lets say 6cm in tibia/femur each for the sake of being safe ) the second surgery following after completing the consolidation of the first one?

Fireworks196

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2023, 06:20:48 PM »

congratulations bro on your successful journey with LL so far. I have a question, before you mentioned that Betz suggested 10 cm in your femurs and I understand that the extension of the betz bone is 4.92 inches (about 12 cm). Tell me, does Becker have any patients who have reached that extension in the femur or tibia? And if your body allowed you, would you do it?

~ Regards, Fireworks196
Pointing to Dr.Betz/Becker or Dr.Pili

Everything is possible. You only live once..

serva

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2023, 06:44:36 PM »

Hello there!

Congratulations on your successful surgery! As a newcomer to this platform, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions:

Can you provide an approximate cost of the surgery you underwent?
Also, could you please share when you were able to walk normally and resume work after the surgery?

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 03:52:37 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »

How is your recovery going?

Did you get a Z cut proper ITB release, or a soft release?
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

GoaT

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2023, 08:31:19 AM »

Any update?

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2023, 01:49:46 AM »

Any update
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up