Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts to Consider for Future Limb Lengtheners  (Read 2617 times)

Sibirsky

Thoughts to Consider for Future Limb Lengtheners
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »

Hey guys. Here's an open thread to discuss points that future limb lentheners may want to consider when planning for this surgery. I'll keep the points open ended so there's a lot more angles to discuss these:

1) Saving more money vs doing surgery at a younger age: Most people want the best surgeons they can afford. So they save up. But while saving up, one will grow older and as one grows older, the recovery phase become slower and the risk of complications go up.

So the key question here is, Which do you think has better recovery and which would you prefer to be: a younger patient (who saved less money) going to a cheaper (not necessarily worse) doctor vs an older patient (who saved more money) going to a more expensive doctor?

2) Better height vs better athletic abilities post surgery. Many here complain about the struggles of being short so LL is a viable option which comes at a monetary and physical cost, in that you won't be as athletic as before, but in terms of physical appearance, the leg muscles can be as big as they were before if one exercises sufficiently.

If one expects 100% athletic abilities to be maintained, one shouldn't consider doing this surgery. Conversely, if one considers doing this surgery, don't expect 100% of athletic abilities to return. A difficult, but necessary truth that one must accept.

So in essence, which do you fear more: being judged for having less height vs having less athletic capabilites?
176 cm before
184 cm after
-Walking, squatting, jogging slowly but not yet running
-Advocate of average height people wanting to be taller

limby101

Re: Thoughts to Consider for Future Limb Lengtheners
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »

hey
pretty new to this forum.

I wonder, about the issue of 100% of athletic capabilities after this procedure. (regardless of age)
From what I managed to see from these forums, most people regain their 'walking normal' ability roughly a year after surgery.
Some hints of people able to run (although not in a 100% form of runnin), from hints of youtube videos i see....
But the basic statistics is still unknown to me -
im sure the diaries on this forum reflects like 1-5% (?) of people undergoing LL, what about the rest?
perhaps the average do manage to regain 100% of their abilities?
perhaps we dont have the evidence of people *years* post op, which may give a better (more optimistic) insight?

Body Builder

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »

hey
pretty new to this forum.

I wonder, about the issue of 100% of athletic capabilities after this procedure. (regardless of age)
From what I managed to see from these forums, most people regain their 'walking normal' ability roughly a year after surgery.
Some hints of people able to run (although not in a 100% form of runnin), from hints of youtube videos i see....
But the basic statistics is still unknown to me -
im sure the diaries on this forum reflects like 1-5% (?) of people undergoing LL, what about the rest?
perhaps the average do manage to regain 100% of their abilities?
perhaps we dont have the evidence of people *years* post op, which may give a better (more optimistic) insight?
We've talked multiple times about LL and athletic abilities that it starts to becoming ridiculous.
It is naive to believe that people who write here never get back to 100% and people who did LL but are not members here are 100% compared to before.

LL leaves permanent deficits and you won't be like before. Period.
If things go well and you lengthen conservatively and your body adapts well you may reach something like 90% to your pre LL capabilities.
Most people won't reach more than 80-85 % and some of them may also have serious problems after LL.
That's the truth and doesn't change even if you write here or not.
If you are not willing to lose at least 15% of your athletic abilities, which is almost sure and even optimistic, then LL is not for you.

limby101

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »

ok sorry for re-opening an issue thats already been discussed.

I believe in science, and in statistics.
I may be wrong, but...
true there are many personal experiences shared by people on this forum, and each one brings to the table his/her own information he/she gathered from his research prior to the surgery, from meeting other people that underwent the surgery, and from those friends' friends, etc.
this may be a good sample to conclude on the entire population, but is it really?
this surgery may be indeed so rare, that a respected % of people undergoing it visit this forum(s), and/or share their experience here, so this may be a good pool to reflect the general.
but i honestly dont know.

that being said, i still wonder about the evidence of long (longer) term effects of this surgery.
are there even any?

(btw bodybuilder- 'lengthen conserbatively' to your opinion, from what i read here and there, means being less than average height, not lengthening more than 7 in femur...?)
thanks
and sorry for changing a bit the subject of this thread.

Body Builder

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »

Conservative lengthening is less than 6cm in tibias and less than 7 in femurs.
Most people won't have serious problems lengthening these amounts but anyone is different.

And after LL noone can be the same as the change in biomechamics and the stretching of soft tissues is enough to limit the function of human body to some degree.
If this is big or not has to do with each body and the amount of kengthening .
I am not even talking about complications like infections or malunions which are very frequent but for perfect cases where nothing wrong happens.

After LL noone is the same. The only thing that changes is the amount of difference, not that difference per se.

want2btall

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »

I will choose to save more money and have a more experience doctor for the surgery. Personally i think that we can maintain our body condition while trying to earn as much money as possible to afford a more experienced doctor rather than taking risk to have a doctor with less reputation.

biggerdreams

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »

Speaking of statistics, regardless of what the true sample size that we get to hear feedback from (this forum) is, we have to keep in mind that people are often more vocal about things that go wrong then things that go right, even for the sake of being informational.

So you will more than likely hear from the people that are extremely pleased, or that have a complaint whether large or small. And your smallest percent will always be those that are pleased or those that want to provide constructive feedback.

onemorefoot

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 01:15:09 AM »

I dont even like Sports, so if people want to spit Venom, I dont care. But you cant compare that to the problem that a very short or short person has everyday, with the constant discrimination, I mean, you are not running everyday, but you have to go out everyday, is not a good comparison. I know that Young people have more chances of a greater recovery. Some people here think they Will go out of the procedure to Play in Real Madrid becuase of their guns, they think they are living a miracle, wrong, you should be grateful ir you can walk well after this thing.
Budget will determine my future.

MrHandsome

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:22:25 AM »

Conservative lengthening is less than 6cm in tibias and less than 7 in femurs.
Most people won't have serious problems lengthening these amounts but anyone is different.

And after LL noone can be the same as the change in biomechamics and the stretching of soft tissues is enough to limit the function of human body to some degree.
If this is big or not has to do with each body and the amount of kengthening .
I am not even talking about complications like infections or malunions which are very frequent but for perfect cases where nothing wrong happens.

After LL noone is the same. The only thing that changes is the amount of difference, not that difference per se.

After a certain age athletic ability doesn't even matter anymore but has the leg lengthening affected your bodybuilding and your ability to lift heavy on legs? Just wondering.

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »

After a certain age athletic ability doesn't even matter anymore but has the leg lengthening affected your bodybuilding and your ability to lift heavy on legs? Just wondering.
I agree. I was never good at sports after all and I never liked much football, basketball or anything else.
I always lifted weight and LL didn't change anything.
My long tibias made some exercises like squats or deadlifts much harder and my stability was not good after atl so in these exercises I couldn't lift as much as before LL but if someone lengthened less and never did this atl crap I'm sure he would be almost the same as before.
But I don't care, I lift heavy in other exercises and now I am more built than ever although my feet lack compared to my torso for the reasons I mentioned and because I never cared much to have very muscular feet so I don't work out them much.

I believe that when I return to gym in about a month (I am 2.5 months off due to my tendon and tibia fix surgery) I would be able to lift more on the exercises I had problems because theorytically my tendons should be almost normal after the fix surgery but we'll see.
However, generally speaking, someone who does 5-6 cm on tibias and has good ankle rom I believe he could be about the same as before LL.

MrHandsome

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 04:41:58 AM »

I agree. I was never good at sports after all and I never liked much football, basketball or anything else.
I always lifted weight and LL didn't change anything.
My long tibias made some exercises like squats or deadlifts much harder and my stability was not good after atl so in these exercises I couldn't lift as much as before LL but if someone lengthened less and never did this atl crap I'm sure he would be almost the same as before.
But I don't care, I lift heavy in other exercises and now I am more built than ever although my feet lack compared to my torso for the reasons I mentioned and because I never cared much to have very muscular feet so I don't work out them much.

I believe that when I return to gym in about a month (I am 2.5 months off due to my tendon and tibia fix surgery) I would be able to lift more on the exercises I had problems because theorytically my tendons should be almost normal after the fix surgery but we'll see.
However, generally speaking, someone who does 5-6 cm on tibias and has good ankle rom I believe he could be about the same as before LL.

Can you dance and do treadmill/light cardio? I am an athlete right now but my career will end soon anyway and I plan to get leg lengthening for 4-5cm when I am around 25 or so.

Body Builder

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »

Can you dance and do treadmill/light cardio? I am an athlete right now but my career will end soon anyway and I plan to get leg lengthening for 4-5cm when I am around 25 or so.
I can but not easily but I am not the typical example as I had a failed atl surgery except from LL.
For the vast majority of LL'ers who did sensible amounts of lengthening the things you mentioned should not be a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up