Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LON Femur questions  (Read 648 times)

jlk

LON Femur questions
« on: March 19, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

hi there all, i’m currently getting both my femurs done via LON in turkey.  i had some early complications due to the fact that im too heavy. 103kg at operation but consistently losing weight prolly 99kg. had i known that the recommended weight is 89kg or below i would’ve started dieting WAY BEFORE. currently at Day 18 from surgery and on Day 10 of lengthening (1cm taller).

my question is: Does anyone else have really weird clicking and sudden popping of what feels like the ball and socket joints while walking or standing? i think because im so heavy this is why there’s that sensation when i walk but sometimes i also feel it during physical therapy. doesnt always hurt but its kinda gruesome to hear at times. just broke my femurs and im talking about gruesome clicking lol OH THE IRONY!!
178.5cm > 186cm

LLprime3

Re: LON Femur questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »

That clicking most likely comes from the external frames. It has a bit of wiggle room while you're putting weight on it, or while you put a lot of force on it from muscle contraction during stretching.

jlk

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 11:30:36 AM »

ahhhh thank you! good to know. i think that’s why the doc has switched me from walking with walker to solely wheelchair.
178.5cm > 186cm

rafi2296

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »

Where did you had your surgery and how is going so far?

boklecrt

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 12:23:39 AM »

Where did you had your surgery and how is going so far?

where do you think?

OP should've been denied surgery until he drops at least 20 kilos

but we all know our favorite turkish doctor doesn't "discriminate"

Anyway, looks like OP is long gone and we would not be getting an update, but for future LL patients - if you're too fat for the surgery go lose some weight and then come back. Losing weight during the surgery is not good because you need a caloric surplus to heal your broken bones. If there is consistently caloric deficit the callus would mature non calcified but be left rubbery and unable to weight bear.
So the fact that OP lost 5kg in a 3 week period after the beginning of the surgery means he didn't eat his minimum daily calories therefore we can only hope he didnt end up with a disaster on his hands.
5 cm gained through LON Tibia with Quynh in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
March 2022
SLAYER

jlk

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:56:31 PM »

ummmm please don't call me fat. i'm not fat. i bench press 300 pounds and squat 400 easily. in my humble opinion "fat" is equivalent to being "obese" which i am not. so i think the term we use here in America for my body type is "husky" lol. i'm a husky boy that drinks his milk. started at 179cm 227lbs. currently 6'1" 215lbs.

i am now 5 1/2 months post fixator removal. contracture went away very quickly after i started walking. personally, i wouldn't kill yourself in PT after surgery. just do your best and forget the rest! your contracture goes away when you WALK.

upon arrival back in america...i went from wheelchair to regular walker. then i would experiment and take baby steps without walker. then i graduated to a rolling walker and then on to crutches. finally i went to a cane and then no cane. and then in the last 2 days huge improvements in regards to walking very fast without a limp. all these steps were approved by Dr. Uysal upon seeing my x-rays. i really like dr. uysal he's a good dude. i loved my physical therapists and i had a good time with afa. there were a couple of mishaps but that was due to one particularly unprofessional person and does not reflect on afa.

this week i started on the treadmill!! speed @ 2.5-3mph at an 11% incline for 10 minutes. it was tough but made me so happy. i've come so far. i also walk as much as i want throughout the day. no problems here. if i get tired i go home, shower, eat and call it a day. you get tired even without any surgeries. it's life.

despite my big size i think my frame actually helped me in regards to recovery. i've played sports all my life in grade school, high school and college. i have lifted weights since i was 16 and i'm in my late 40s. compared to all the other patients i was in rehab with i've had the least complications and i think it's because i've ALWAYS pushed my body to the extreme. i ski, i swim, i lift weights 4 days a week and i even bicycled across america in 47 days.

to my knowledge only 2 guys in my graduating class didn't have any complications: myself (the oldest and largest patient they ever had) and a really young fella. if i were to guess, i think 2 things were working in our favor: his extreme youth and ability to regenerate quickly...and my big frame.

what is a big frame you may ask? well, without blowing smoke up my own ass, years before LL surgery i saw a doctor and she immediately asked "are you and athlete?" my thighs are very similar to a pro rugby players. my shoulder are extremely broad. both my brothers are 6'2" and played division 1 high school football. my shoulders are larger than theirs. i wear 44R-46R suit jacket and it's very tight. i wear XL tee shirt since high school. my pants are 34/32 and thighs and calves are always bulging through pants so i usually get them altered after buying new.

prior to surgery i was slightly overweight but not fat and not obese. once upon a time, i had considered power lifting but was plagued by recurring shoulder injuries. currently i have lost a lot of muscle. MOSTLY in my legs. pants that were always tight in the thigh and calf areas are now huge on me. before they fit like skinny jeans and now the same pants look like pajamas. bench press is WAY down to about 205lbs. depressing but i'll get it back soon enough.

i was not in a calorie surplus while lengthening. i had very little appetite and had to force myself to eat. so i lost fat quickly and then all the muscle in my legs. it was shocking but i really did the best i could with eating, PT, vitamins, rest etc etc. it just happens and there's nothing you can do about it so you should take everything you read on these forums with a grain of salt and a bit of speculation. your experience is your own. it will depend entirely on you, your history, your body type and your mindset. hopefully by reading my posts you can gauge for yourself how similar/dissimilar we are and it will give you an idea of what you can expect. honestly, my mind set was horrible. i was very lonely in turkey and i lost my computer at the airport. so i had NO entertainment. i cried almost daily and wanted to go home.

hope this helps and good luck on your journey!
178.5cm > 186cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up