Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your ideal height and why?  (Read 42160 times)

Uppland

What is your ideal height and why?
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

Yes a tired old topic I know but it's also an illusive one. I've yet to find a definitive answer on the "best" height, probably because there is no such thing. However I think most will agree that it is generally beneficial for men to be "tall", the question is: how tall?

A lot of people draw a line at some nice even number like 6' or 180CM and proclaim that everyone on the upper side has "made it". Others claim that height is less important the taller you get. I think that's true although I don't think it is socially detrimental to be very tall -but surely the benefits must stop or even out after at some point.

That point is subjective and circumstantial. I personally peg it at roughly 195 cm or 6'4 -6'5 but I'm a bit biased toward taller heights as I am constantly surrounded by tall people. What do you guys think?

Taller

Re: What is your ideal height and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »

I view 188CM or 6'2 as being ideal because it is the beginning of the impressively tall range in my opinion, and isn't very noticeably shorter than 190-195CM (6'3-6'5), but isn't a hinderence in many situations the way that taller heights can be. At 188CM it's not awkward to converse with shorter people of 160-170, you don't hit your head on doors, you fit comfortably into airplanes and cars, but still stand out in a positive way. You still have the "presence" of a big, strong, tall guy.

Above 196CM (6'5) and one becomes awkwardly tall. You go from being impressive and handsome to being a behemoth of a man. Some like that and some don't. I perosnally don't. Too much height definitely can make you feel self conscious and too different. Some feel like outcasts for being too tall.

It's all ultimately subjective.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »

5'10 for me. I'd rather my height not be a remarkable trait. Just perfectly average so it's a non-factor in most situations.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Wannabegiant

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »

I view 188CM as being ideal because it is the beginning of the impressively tall range in my opinion, and isn't very noticeably shorter than 190-195CM, but isn't a hinderence in many situations the way that taller heights can be. At 188CM it's not awkward to converse with shorter people of 160-170, you don't hit your head on doors, you fit comfortably into airplanes and cars, but still stand out in a positive way. You still have the "presence" of a big, strong, tall guy.

Above 196CM and one becomes awkwardly tall. You go from being impressive an handsome to being a behemoth of a man. Some like that and some don't. I perosnally don't. Too much height definitely can make you feel self conscious and too different. Some feel like outcasts for being too tall.

It's all ultimately subjective.

I agree with 188 cm, most benefits and barely any drawbacks, only a small subset of women will find this height as to tall, and i dont think anyone will find it to be "not tall enough" maybe some women who are 190 cm but those are super rare and most of those women dont look any good at all..

But at 5'10 height becomes almost a non factor in most situations, even in a country like Sweden.

endomorphisme

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »

i would say 185-190 cm is perfect, tall enough not to feel average or short, and taller than 99% of women.

GeTs

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »

6'1, but anything from 6'0 to 6'4 is fine

Uppland

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »

Have to disagree with 188CM being impressive my dad is almost that tall and I just don't see his height being very impressive a lot of young people are taller than him.
Also think you guys underestimate how much women value tall men I have never heard a girl refer to someone as too tall, they never mention a maximum height. To each their own of course but I'm sure a 193 guy has an intrinic (albeit small) advantage over his 188cm mate with no real disadvantages.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »

Have to disagree with 188CM being impressive my dad is almost that tall and I just don't see his height being very impressive a lot of young people are taller than him.
Also think you guys underestimate how much women value tall men I have never heard a girl refer to someone as too tall, they never mention a maximum height. To each their own of course but I'm sure a 193 guy has an intrinic (albeit small) advantage over his 188cm mate with no real disadvantages.

I know some girls who prefer to not be dwarfed by their partners/boyfriends, just as long as the guy is significantly bigger so they can feel feminine next to him. Ive heard many girls think it is akward if they cant even reach their boyfriends head to kiss when they are standing on their toes. Of course there are many girls who like that thing, but many who rather have a average sized guy.

Taller

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

Sometimes I go places or am on situations where 188CM feels barely average. I'll concede that. Among fellow young adults that actually happens to me fairly often. I just don't think that 193 looks significantly better or more impressive than 188.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I'm biased and will never be above 190CM in my life (unless I have a magical/miraculous growth spurt in what's left of my early 20's of course), even if I do get aggressive amounts of LL.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »

Maybe it's hard for me to understand coming from a starting height of 165 cm, but I don't quite understand why some people aren't happy unless they're taller than 95% of the population. You wouldn't feel uncomfortable standing out that much all the time?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

endomorphisme

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »

why do you want to dominate people uppland, that's ridiculous, you height neurosis has gone so bad  :o you want to take you revenge on life or what?
I'm 182 cm and even if i add 3 cm to my height, i would feel totally fine, and 185 cm is not an imposing height, but i don't give a  , it's good enough to feel tall around women, and solid with your peers

Taller

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »

Maybe it's hard for me to understand coming from a starting height of 165 cm, but I don't quite understand why some people aren't happy unless they're taller than 95% of the population. You wouldn't feel uncomfortable standing out that much all the time?

For me it's primarily the fact that my height didn't live up to my expectations at all. All of my adult male family members are pretty much 188+ and always get described as gallant, imposing, strong, healthy, and handsome because of their height.

I always wanted and expected to be part of that club. I've always felt like my height disappointed them too, although it disappoints me more than anyone.

I live in a place where I come across people 6'0 and up very, very frequently, so I wouldn't stand out at this height. I get jealous and bitter inside a lot of times when I meet these people and talk about height with them because they take what they have for granted, sometimes act as if they deserve to be that height, and make fun of shorter people (usually without meaning to hurt them) without knowing what it feels like to have always wanted to be taller and never having gotten there. These aren't the people I need to have in my life, so I do my best to disregard them completely.

But my height still pains me and makes me feel like I'm not the gallant and handsome man I should be, even though I am very happy with my facial features (here's another area that's easy to take for granted when you've got it and others don't, I suppose) and musculature (which I work out to maintain). It's difficult to feel masculine when I'm significantly shorter than feel I should be.

What I hate most about this dilemma is that, unlike most other things that I don't like about my life, I can't do much about my height now that I don't like it. Now that I know about LL, I am finally going to be able to do something about it. But even I am a little surprised that I'm seriously willing to go this far, but ultimately it comes down the the fact that I'm absolutely sick of living with height neurosis.

endomorphisme

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »

where do you live taller, unless you live in the netherlands, there is no way 188 cm can appear average sometimes

Taller

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »

Let's just say the place I'm from isn't far from the border of the Netherlands. It's like 15 minutes by foot from the actual border line.

PrettyTall

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »

only we LL patient or potential ll who think of that  average people don't consider that because they don't go trough pain ...

KrP1

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »

I think that 186 is the ideal height

Wannabegiant

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »

Let's just say the place I'm from isn't far from the border of the Netherlands. It's like 15 minutes by foot from the actual border line.

Are you Belgian or German?  In either case i doubt the average height there is significantly different than Sweden. While everyone has the right to cure height neurosis, i cant help but feel that people who feel they need to be 185+ to be happy probably have other problems that they should consider looking into before going through with LL.

Overdozer

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »

No less than 7 feet. Preferably 8 feet, so there'll be no one on this earth, that is taller than me. That way I'll be sure my height neurosis is finally cured!
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

GeTs

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Are you Belgian or German?  In either case i doubt the average height there is significantly different than Sweden. While everyone has the right to cure height neurosis, i cant help but feel that people who feel they need to be 185+ to be happy probably have other problems that they should consider looking into before going through with LL.
this

endomorphisme

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »

he could be german, belgian , in those countries the average height is about 180 cm , but he is going to say it's 190 cm.

Uppland

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

why do you want to dominate people uppland, that's ridiculous, you height neurosis has gone so bad  :o you want to take you revenge on life or what?
I'm 182 cm and even if i add 3 cm to my height, i would feel totally fine, and 185 cm is not an imposing height, but i don't give a s**t, it's good enough to feel tall around women, and solid with your peers

Let's just say I'm a perfectionist and the fact that I can hardly strive for a perfect height annoys me. You are right that 185 cm is "good enough" even where I live that would be considered a respectable if normal height but I was never satisfied with "decent". I guess people have different expectations out of life.

Uppland

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

he could be german, belgian , in those countries the average height is about 180 cm , but he is going to say it's 190 cm.

It's not really relevant where he is from. If he doesn't want people to know we should let it be.

Taller

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:05 PM »

No less than 7 feet. Preferably 8 feet, so there'll be no one on this earth, that is taller than me. That way I'll be sure my height neurosis is finally cured!

Actually, there have been a few 8 foot people. Looks like you'll have to lengthen a foot and a half more per segment to reach 9 feet :P

Taller

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »

It's not really relevant where he is from. If he doesn't want people to know we should let it be.

Thank you. Nor should this be a forum for judging who is and who isn't justified in wanting LL. Everyone has unique circumstances, and sometimes they can be difficult to express in short forum posts.

Uppland

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »

I sometimes imagine height as sort of a catalyst. Of course a fit, intelligent, kind and handsome man at 180 cm is going to to be more impressive and noteworthy than a 190 cm average Joe (or Sven) but at a taller height those traits are amplified and the overall effect is much more impressive.

Unfortunately height is impossible to improve with just hard work and that is exactly what makes it so valuable.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »

Let's just say I'm a perfectionist and the fact that I can hardly strive for a perfect height annoys me. You are right that 185 cm is "good enough" even where I live that would be considered a respectable if normal height but I was never satisfied with "decent". I guess people have different expectations out of life.

To be fair, just because a person is 185+ does not mean he can have higher expectations on life and expect to be more likely to reach them. There are countless 5'10-6'0 guys who live life without any limitations, there is pretty much nothing in life that majority of the taller people can achieve that these "average" height people cannot.

Uppland

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

To be fair, just because a person is 185+ does not mean he can have higher expectations on life and expect to be more likely to reach them. There are countless 5'10-6'0 guys who live life without any limitations, there is pretty much nothing in life that majority of the taller people can achieve that these "average" height people cannot.

Fair enough but do you agree that people above the mean height recieve some major advantages while suffering negliagable if any disadvantages?

If you do would you also say that it is normal for some (ambitious) people to want that extra height in order to recieve those benefits that can't be accessed in any other way?

Wannabegiant

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »

Fair enough but do you agree that people above the mean height recieve some major advantages while suffering negliagable if any disadvantages?

If you do would you also say that it is normal for some (ambitious) people to want that extra height in order to recieve those benefits that can't be accessed in any other way?

I agree that there are definite benefits to being taller up to around 188 cm, which is why that was the ideal male height in my opinion. But those advantages are not that significant and really only end up being slightly more respect (if all else is equal) and attention, and this is when meeting new people initially. When a group of people get to know each other, then the benefits of being very tall become even less noticeable as personality, talent and interest become more important in determining how you are treated by the others in the group. 

If you want to be a proffesional basketball player then that is another advantage for very tall people, but then to make use of that advantage you would also need to be very talented at the sport and also be lucky to end up in the right place at the right time, very few people will be able to enjoy those benefits.

And your last sentence is what I find inaccurate with your stance, the extra height especially after 185 really does not give you any social benefits that you couldnt get in another way, height might be the easier way, but definitely not the only way. This makes it seem to me like you want the easier way to get the level of respect and attention you want because you dont believe you can get it the harder way, ie by improving yourself in terms of education and talent (and the other parts of appearance which can be improved like physique and dressing style).

Personally i believe i can reach a very similar level of respect and attention and success at 5'10 as most 6'2 and taller guys can. I realize i will need to work a bit harder for it but that will only make me a better person for it in the end.

Overdozer

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »

When a group of people get to know each other, then the benefits of being very tall become even less noticeable as personality, talent and interest become more important in determining how you are treated by the others in the group. 
I'm pretty confident that someone with your stance will be seen more attractive and respectable, than someone with an attitude of "ahh, I need to be 2 meters tall, then everyone will like and respect me". They'll be most likely viewed as maniacs, if they let their thoughts out.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »

In an ideal world, 194cm for me. A lot of intellectuals I admire seem to always be at this height for whatever reason. Powerful but not monstrous height.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Uppland

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »

@Wannabegiant
You're right again but like I said before what makes height so valuable is that you cannot work to improve it. Certainly there are othe ways to be respected and attractive but as you said you have to work harder, always be a little better.

Doesn't it bother you that you need to "make up" for how tall you are?
It's true that the fact that taller men always has an advantage over me really takes a bite out of my motivation to improve myself. Even if I become an objectively more impressive person overall that injustice is always in play like a thorn in the side. Yes the process may build my charater, yes I've probably got height neurosis and yes most people think this bothering me so much is ridiculous.

Still we all recognize that sometimes we can be happier only by changing ourselves otherwise we wouldn't be on this board but this isn't an easy fix for me I've been aware of LL for a long time and I thought it was completely out of the question for any sane person regardless of how short he was.
In the end it doesn't matter much why we do this surgery as long as we're sure it's for the best. Without turning this thread to a argument over eachothers psychology let's get back on track, there is no right answer as I said in the OP but I still think that the 190 - 195 range is ideal at least for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up