Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur LON question. HELP!  (Read 4222 times)

zioon

• Visitor
Femur LON question. HELP!
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

Hi People,

I'm a patient who undergoing Femur Leg Lengthening using LON method. I started my operation on 20 Aug and my turning on 26 aug. Doctor advice me to do 4 times 1/4 turn per day = 1mm per day. Recently i went back to my doctor for follow up and did a x-ray,  doctor told me that i have a 3cm gap and the bone is not growing in-between the gap which make me quite worry(the gap is completely black without new bone in-between) . I'm not sure is because the gap is to big for new bone to heal or because of other reason. Doctor told me to turn 3 time daily instead of 4 time now.

i'm lengthening 5cm.

Do you guy encounter this problem when doing LL? Please advice me.

thanks.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

Re: Femur LON question. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »

what is your diet and supplements like?

Taller

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »

Stop lengthening until bone begins to fill in the gap. Otherwise you are putting yourself at risk for permanent non union.

Overdozer

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »

You're doing one femur to fix leg length discrepancy, right?

The gap thing is called "non-union" or "delayed union", it's hard to tell in your case. A good idea would be to stop lengthening altogether and wait until there are signs of callus formation on the x-ray. After that carry on, but compress 1mm every week and after you've got 5cm, lengthen 5mm extra and compress them also.

An Ilizarov article claims that this compression 'trick' can reduce fixation index to 2-5 days per centimeter in all patients, regardless of age.
ilizarov-journal.com/index.php/go/article/download/326/326
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

zioon

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »

thanks for replying.

I have an appointment with my doctor next week, and i will stop the lengthening for now. Will check with him again next week as i actually don't quite trust this doctor.

5 year again i did the same LL with another doctor. At that time the gap is too big like what happen now, and doctor turn it back and make the gap smaller for the bone to heal. Current doctor didn't do that but only asked me to turn 3time instead of 4 time. 0.75mm per day now.

And yes I'm doing my right femur to fix the length discrepancy. If it's "Non-union" , does that mean i need another surgery to do "Bone grafting"?

Right now i have been drinking 1 pack of calcium milk daily. I really hope that gonna help.

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonunion
Read on. And get an ossein-hydroxyapatite complex like Osteogenon or at least some Calcium Carbonate.
Do you smoke by the way?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

cavani

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »

zioonlaw, are you taking any supplements or medications?   Read this
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=334.msg8260#msg8260

zioon

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »

Yup, but have been cutting down now. Max 4 stick per day.

I realized that smoking cause the bone to heal even slower. So I'm cutting down and hopefully quit it.

Hi cavani,
I'm not taking any medication or supplement other then the calcium milk that i just started taking it recently.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »

smoking during leg lengthening is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

what is your reason for leg lengthening?

is there deformity or is this pure cosmetic?

also you need more than just calcium. calcium by itself is useless.

TRS

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »

Have you checked your Vitamin D level?
It would be a good idea to take both calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements.
Make sure to have a good diet during LL and quit smoking. Smoking may be the main reason to your problem.

TRS

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »

Also check with your doctor if you're on any NSAID painkillers because they tend to affect the regenerate as well.

zioon

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

I know is stupid to smoke when doing LL which i just realize. Hope is not too late to stop smoking now.

I'm doing this LL is because of length discrepancy which caused by multiple fracture i have a few year ago.
:( will check with doctor to prescript me some medication to help with the bone healing.

Nope, i haven't check my Vitamin D level before. Was not told by doctor though. Sigh, lot of thing to check with my doctor next week.

For now, do i have to turn the gap smaller for the bone to heal? Or is it fine to leave the gap 3cm big and stop the lengthening until new bone grow?

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

get a sports multivitamin.

programdude

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 04:01:30 AM »

You want this: http://www.bonehealthnow.com/Bone-Health-Supplements/Silical-PLUS/

This is what all Paley patients use, and all the males i've met have excellent bone growth. Also supplement with vitamin D if you are deficient.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +
Pages: [1]   Go Up