Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you are sad or depressed, does it affect how you behave on social media?  (Read 5214 times)

Wannabegiant

Essentially, if something bad happened recently which made you sad or depressed. Would that affect your behavior on social mediums like instagram or facebook? I mean how you behave publicly and not private messages of course. Or do you act like everything is normal to not show your sadness?

I notice some people have to tell everybody they are sad but usually not why on social media(often girls do this), while myself, i behave pretty much the same and doesnt let it affect me, so essentially i could joke around on some wall post with a friend with lots of emojis etc, spamming even though i might be depressed at the same time about something unrelated. I wouldnt let my sadness affect my interactions with my friends publicly, regardless if i had already told them about me feeling down before or not.

It was quite a challenge to pretend to be happy/normal while staying isolated for so many months and being depressed while doing LL i must say. In this case since everything i did was secret i had to act like normal even while chatting privately with friends, they thought i was working abroads.

How do you handle social media while you have been depressed? I assume many people who want LL have been depressed so i think its a good question to ask here.

Uppland

I never was very active on facebook/twitter/instagram etc. Now that I'm feeling more down because I realized I'm short I spend even less time on there that's about it.

Social media is a facade so it's unlikely that anyone will give off signs of depression, this goes for everyday life as well one of the happiest girls I knew turned out to be very depressed I ran into her borrowing self-help books in the library. Suprisingly many of the overtly social people harbor insecureties.

The best ways to notice this is to pay attention to what people talk about. That girl always spoke about things that made her feel bad, another one of my friends speak alot about famous writers,scientists, philosophers and such -now what does that tell you?
I catch myself doing this: when I walked through downtown Stockholm with my dad I commented on how tall everyone was without thinking.

GeTs

i actually like the feeling, keeps me balanced

Wannabegiant

I never was very active on facebook/twitter/instagram etc. Now that I'm feeling more down because I realized I'm short I spend even less time on there that's about it.

Social media is a facade so it's unlikely that anyone will give off signs of depression, this goes for everyday life as well one of the happiest girls I knew turned out to be very depressed I ran into her borrowing self-help books in the library. Suprisingly many of the overtly social people harbor insecureties.

The best ways to notice this is to pay attention to what people talk about. That girl always spoke about things that made her feel bad, another one of my friends speak alot about famous writers,scientists, philosophers and such -now what does that tell you?
I catch myself doing this: when I walked through downtown Stockholm with my dad I commented on how tall everyone was without thinking.

Same, im not active in terms of posting with status updates, photos etc. But i am online a lot on facebook to chat and to keep in touch with friends etc, also it has some fun and useful stuff like setting up events and inviting etc. I dont use instagram or Twitter however.

I agree that people usually want to depict their lives as awesome on social media regardless how it actually might be, so its unlikely for people to show that they are sad. However ive noticed some people do it because they want the attention i think. For example i would never share it online if something bad happened to one of my family members, but i know plenty of people who have done that.

In Sweden, men are conditioned to keep their troubles to themselves, but women tend to talk alot about it, but i guess not openly, only to their closest ones.

I tend to be online more when i am depressed, because im usually depressed about not being satisfied with my social life, so facebook makes me feel slightly more social compared to just being home and doing other stuff i guess.

I agree that depressed people sometimes tend to over compensate by being more extroverted and social. Talk alot etc. I have done that as well on occassion. I guess because we really dont want anyone to know that we are sad.

Btw if that girl spoke about things that made her feel bad all the time, then was it really that much of a surprise that she was depressed? How did she behave in general that made you think she was very happy?

And about your other friend, actually that doesnt tell me much, there are many reasons why one would talk alot about those things wouldnt you say? It wouldnt make me automatically think he was depressed at least.

One thing i tended to do without thinking it through which is similar to your problem, is that if i see a really tall person or if i talk to a really tall person, i always used to compliment their height. Now i never do it anymore but i always think about it.

Wannabegiant

You like the feeling of being depressed? Could you elaborate  ???

Uppland

Being depressed? That's a first.

Uppland

Same, im not active in terms of posting with status updates, photos etc. But i am online a lot on facebook to chat and to keep in touch with friends etc, also it has some fun and useful stuff like setting up events and inviting etc. I dont use instagram or Twitter however.

I agree that people usually want to depict their lives as awesome on social media regardless how it actually might be, so its unlikely for people to show that they are sad. However ive noticed some people do it because they want the attention i think. For example i would never share it online if something bad happened to one of my family members, but i know plenty of people who have done that.

In Sweden, men are conditioned to keep their troubles to themselves, but women tend to talk alot about it, but i guess not openly, only to their closest ones.

I tend to be online more when i am depressed, because im usually depressed about not being satisfied with my social life, so facebook makes me feel slightly more social compared to just being home and doing other stuff i guess.

I agree that depressed people sometimes tend to over compensate by being more extroverted and social. Talk alot etc. I have done that as well on occassion. I guess because we really dont want anyone to know that we are sad.

Btw if that girl spoke about things that made her feel bad all the time, then was it really that much of a surprise that she was depressed? How did she behave in general that made you think she was very happy?

And about your other friend, actually that doesnt tell me much, there are many reasons why one would talk alot about those things wouldnt you say? It wouldnt make me automatically think he was depressed at least.

One thing i tended to do without thinking it through which is similar to your problem, is that if i see a really tall person or if i talk to a really tall person, i always used to compliment their height. Now i never do it anymore but i always think about it.

She was extremely (and I mean extremely) glad and excited about almost everything. Like a child she laughed at every story, complimented people and tried to come up with things to do like playing beach volleyball or whatever. She always said things like: "uh, I hate winter it's so cold and dark it makes me feel bad" or "I hate being alone it makes me feel kinda down you know?"

My other friend is obsessed with being intellectual and smart because his family is academic achievers. He's always reading something, coming up with facts and trying to pitch in in debates, it's almost like a comic book or something.

Wannabegiant

She was extremely (and I mean extremely) glad and excited about almost everything. Like a child she laughed at every story, complimented people and tried to come up with things to do like playing beach volleyball or whatever. She always said things like: "uh, I hate winter it's so cold and dark it makes me feel bad" or "I hate being alone it makes me feel kinda down you know?"

My other friend is obsessed with being intellectual and smart because his family is academic achievers. He's always reading something, coming up with facts and trying to pitch in in debates, it's almost like a comic book or something.

Okey i kind of assumed you meant your other friend was also depressed and he had tendencies that hinted at it.  :P

Kind of funny actually, now when im finally going to become happier than i have ever been, im probably going to behave in reverse, being more reserved and chill in most situations. I guess more self respect makes me not have to look for affirmation in others.

Uppland

It really does I used to be --lugn som en filbunke-- now when I'm much less comfortable in my own skin I'm less socially adept. I sometimes make poor jokes, catch myself slouching and have trouble looking people directly in the eyes. I think self-esteem is really important to have a good social life.

Greek-Semidget

I am sorry but somebody has to wake you up. Don't be a fking idiot 179cm is not short I have a happy life even at only 173cm full of social life. If you are just a couch potatoe with no skills and talents of course you will feel intimidated by taller people. I consider LL as an upgrade, to tackle my insecurities and improve my perception about my self. LIVE YOUR DAMN LIFE MAN AND WHEN YOU ARE READY FOR LL GO FOR IT ;) It is much healthier, more joyable and overall, it benefits you..Look at RGkey he is the man!xD haha
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

Uppland

Re: If you are sad or depressed, does it affect how you behave on social media?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »

I am sorry but somebody has to wake you up. Don't be a f**king idiot 179cm is not short I have a happy life even at only 173cm full of social life. If you are just a couch potatoe with no skills and talents of course you will feel intimidated by taller people. I consider LL as an upgrade, to tackle my insecurities and improve my perception about my self. LIVE YOUR DAMN LIFE MAN AND WHEN YOU ARE READY FOR LL GO FOR IT ;) It is much healthier, more joyable and overall, it benefits you..Look at RGkey he is the man!xD haha

Yes you're right that's what I plan to do actually but what I meant is that I probably won't be truly comfortable in my own skin until I get at least somewhat taller.

179CM is kinda short where I live it's below average height for people my age and it shows.

Greek-Semidget

Re: If you are sad or depressed, does it affect how you behave on social media?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »

Yes you're right that's what I plan to do actually but what I meant is that I probably won't be truly comfortable in my own skin until I get at least somewhat taller.

179CM is kinda short where I live it's below average height for people my age and it shows.
hope you the best
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up