Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Janet Conway (Baltimore, USA) Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics  (Read 18994 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

Doctor information about Dr Janet Conway of Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics at Sinai Hospital, located in Baltimore, USA. Contact for specific information and latest updates.
Note: Please refer to our disclaimer about The Doctors Directory http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=55.0

Brief Profile (From Website):
Dr Janet D. Conway, M.D., is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who serves as the Head of Bone and Joint Infection at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. She attended medical school at Georgetown University in Washington, DC, and completed her orthopedic residency training at Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She received subspecialty training in limb lengthening and reconstruction with Drs. Herzenberg and Paley at the Maryland Center for Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction and in orthopedic trauma at Cooper Hospital in Camden, New Jersey. She came to Sinai Hospital of Baltimore in January 2001 to join the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics and the ICLL.

Dr. Conway is interested in the diagnosis and treatment of malunions, nonunions, osteomyelitis (i.e., bone infections), and joint infections. She has pioneered numerous innovative treatments for osteomyelitis, including antibiotic-coated rods. Dr. Conway is married to Dr. Jim Conway, who is a neurosurgeon on staff at Sinai Hospital. Together they have three children. Dr. Conway is an avid runner.

Education
Foreign Language Spoken - French (Canadian)
Fellowship - Cooper University Hospital
Residency - Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Internship - Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Medical School - Georgetown University School of Medicine

Specialties
Orthopedic Surgery (Bone Doctor), Board Certified
Special Interest - Bone Deformity

Publications:
Sequential harvesting of bone graft from the intramedullary canal of the femur.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25350622

Limb-length discrepancy after total hip arthroplasty: novel treatment and proposed algorithm for care.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24679191

Dynamic compression plate (DCP) fixation of propagating medial condylar fractures of the third metacarpal/metatarsal bone in 30 racehorses: Retrospective analysis (1990-2005).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24028774

Management of severe deformity using a combination of internal and external fixation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21338936

Diagnosis and management of gallbladder polyps.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20478491

Autograft and nonunions: morbidity with intramedullary bone graft versus iliac crest bone graft.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19931055

Antibiotic cement-coated nails for the treatment of infected nonunions and segmental bone defects.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18984728

Bone graft harvest using a new intramedullary system.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18841433

Charcot salvage of the foot and ankle using external fixation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18328419

Arthrodesis of the knee.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15069154

Short Individuals without Dwarfism (Cosmetic Stature Lengthening)

Cosmetic Stature Lengthening (for short individuals who do NOT have a medical diagnosis of “dwarfism”)
A small number of otherwise healthy, non-dwarf individuals are not happy with their height, to the point that they are psychologically distressed and continually bothered by this issue. For these unusual situations, we offer bilateral simultaneous leg elongation. In our group, Dr. Janet Conway performs all stature lengthening procedures for this special population. We do not encourage this procedure, as there are many potential risks. It is reserved for those few individuals who are suffering from profound psychological pain related to their short stature. The process is expensive, time consuming, and may result in medical complications. Because of these factors, not every interested person is eligible. We determine eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

1) Who is a candidate for cosmetic stature lengthening?
To be considered, men must be at least 18 years of age and women must be at least 17 years of age. All candidates must undergo a psychological evaluation with our consultant psychologist before being accepted as a candidate for the procedure. We do not set specific initial height requirements because we assess individuals on a case-by-case basis.

2) Is cosmetic stature lengthening covered by medical insurance?
The initial consultation, psychological evaluation, hospitalization, surgery, physiotherapy and follow-up care are not covered by insurance. The patient must be prepared to pay the full cost of all treatments, as well as any secondary treatments that may result from complications.

3) How much height can I gain?
The total recommended lengthening is 2 inches (5 cm) in the thigh bone (femur). Lengthening more than 2 inches in one bone is associated with higher complication rates. If desired, another entirely separate lengthening procedure can be performed one year later in the shin bones (tibiae) to gain an additional 2 inches (5 cm) of height.

4) What happens during the initial consultation?
The first step is to make an appointment with Dr. Conway for a thorough evaluation. At this visit, Dr. Conway will examine you and have a frank and detailed discussion about stature lengthening. You will have at least two x-rays taken at this time. If you choose to pursue this treatment, you will need to undergo a psychological evaluation before scheduling surgery.

5) Is a psychological evaluation required before stature lengthening?
Before being accepted as a candidate for cosmetic stature lengthening, you need to undergo a psychological evaluation. The evaluation must be conducted by our consultant psychologist, who understands the emotional effects of this procedure. The psychological evaluation consists of an in-depth, clinical interview and a battery of psychological tests. The psychological evaluation requires one full day or two half-days to complete. Once the psychological evaluation has been completed and the results have been shared with Dr. Conway, you will be informed about whether you have been approved for limb lengthening treatment. This process takes approximately two or more weeks after the evaluation.

6) How do I schedule the surgery?
Our staff will contact you to inform you whether or not you have been accepted into our program. If you have been accepted, you will then be able to schedule a pre-surgical appointment with Dr. Conway's secretary. You cannot schedule the surgical appointment or the surgery until you have been officially accepted into the program.

7) Which bones will be lengthened?
We recommend simultaneous lengthening of both thigh bones (i.e., femora). Two femoral Precice devices are inserted during one surgery. The total recommended lengthening amount is 2 inches (5 cm). Lengthening more than 2 inches is associated with higher complication rates. If desired, another entirely separate lengthening procedure can be performed one year later in the shin bones (tibiae) to gain an additional 2 inches (5 cm) of height.

8 ) How do you lengthen the bones and soft tissues?
The bone is cut through a 1-cm (<0.5-inch) incision. The Precice (Ellipse Technologies), our current preferred device for stature lengthening, is inserted into the marrow of the bone and is fixed to the upper and lower part of the bone with screws. Unlike other devices, the Precice is accurate and controllable. It can even be programmed to go in reverse to compress the bone, if needed, to help speed healing.

Procedures are also performed to prevent nerve problems and to help the patient gain full range of motion during physical therapy. These procedures include peroneal nerve decompression, injection of Botox into the thigh muscles, and fascia lata release.

Five to seven days after surgery, you will begin the lengthening process. The Precice is a telescopic rod that contains a miniature magnetic motor. The magnetic motor is activated by applying a magnetic field generator to your thigh. When the motor is activated, the telescopic rod lengthens, which lengthens the bone and soft tissues. The magnetic field generator can be applied two to four times per day, to lengthen a total amount of up to 1 mm per day. Most people do not experience pain when the magnetic field generator is applied.

9) What happens after the initial surgery?
Expect to be in the hospital for three days after surgery. If problems occur, your hospital stay might be longer. Please note that the cost estimate that is listed above is based on a three-day stay; a surcharge is billed for longer stays.

You will start physical therapy while you are in the hospital and continue physical therapy throughout the entire lengthening process. Physical therapy is critical to a successful lengthening.

You will need to come to our clinic five to seven days after surgery to learn how to lengthen the Precice rod. During this visit, you will be trained how to use the magnetic motor, called the external remote controller or ERC, to lengthen the Precice rod. After training, you will be able to take the ERC home and use it to lengthen the rod several times a day.

During the lengthening process, you will need to be seen by your surgeon in the clinic every 1 to 2 weeks for x-rays and a physical examination. During lengthening, you will not be able to walk. You will be in a wheelchair and will be allowed weight bearing only for transferring from chair to bed or bed to chair.

10) Where can I stay during the lengthening process?
We have relatively inexpensive housing available on the campus of Sinai Hospital (Hackerman Patz House) to make this easier for you. It is absolutely essential that you have an adult caregiver (relative, friend, significant other) stay with you at the Hackerman Patz House. If family or friends are not available to help, this type of service can be hired. Visit http://www.thehackermanpatzhouse.com for more information about the Hackerman-Patz House.

11) What happens after I complete the lengthening process?
After you complete the lengthening process, you will need to see a doctor at the following points during your recovery: one, two, three, six and 12 months after lengthening. Your local physician cannot handle these follow-up examinations.

Even after the lengthening is completed, you cannot bear weight right away. You will have to wait until the x-rays show that the bones are sufficiently healed to permit full weight bearing. This usually takes one or two months after the lengthening stops but can take longer in some cases. If the bone does not heal, bone grafting (additional surgery) may be required.

Approximately one year after lengthening, you can undergo surgery to remove the Precice.

12) What are the potential complications?
Many potential complications are associated with limb lengthening. These will be discussed with you in detail during your initial consultation and again during your pre-surgical visit. They include nonunion, leg length discrepancy, nerve stretch injury, muscle/tendon contracture leading to stiff joints and joint arthritis. In some cases, the bone might fail to heal completely and bone graft surgery might be required. A nerve may become too stretched, which occasionally requires surgery to decompress the nerve. Tight muscles and tendons might require tendon-lengthening surgery. These problems are unlikely in most cases, but, should they occur, they can usually be corrected by surgery. Lengthening that occurs too slowly or failure to place the magnetic field generator directly over the internal magnet in the Precice can lead to premature bone healing. If this happens, additional surgery is needed to re-cut the bone(s).

13) What results have we seen after cosmetic limb lengthening?
The majority of our patients achieve satisfactory results without significant complications. Those who do experience complications usually achieve good outcomes as long as the complications are recognized and treated promptly. It is a lengthy rehabilitation process, and it can take up to one or two years until full recovery and return to normal function is achieved, including sports activities.

In summary, cosmetic stature lengthening is a difficult, expensive, and arduous process. We discourage our patients from choosing this route. However, for a small group of carefully screened patients, the psychological benefits can be worthwhile.

Contact Information:
Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics
2401 W. Belvedere Avenue
2nd Floor, Schoeneman Building
Baltimore, MD  21215
Phone: 410-601-8700
Fax: 410-601-4292
E-mail: jconway@lifebridgehealth.org
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

alps

Re: Dr Janet Conway (Baltimore, USA) Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:22:24 AM »

no cost estimate mentioned :/

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »

There used to be a cost estimate but it was removed. I e-mailed Dr Conway for an update on that.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »

I think it'll be ridiculously high? Its in the States after all

Hope she updates soon. How did you find her?

lolwut

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »

i would never trust any woman on operating table. what if she gets on phone with friends while doing surgery? :0

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

Stop living in the past my friend, its now the 21st century... Women aren't all stay at home housewives or belong only in the kitchen any more

:P

Plus I read about a chinese doctor who performed surgery while hung over...

galaxy1

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

There is this new member that just signed up two days ago, "ChandlerInBalitmore" that I decided to google and sure enough he is a LL surgeon, who also has a Facebook page. I guess it doesn't really matter, we all know surgery with them will be very expensive.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »

Haven't gotten an update from them yet so I'll call on my lunch break if I have time today. This center is where Dr John Herzenberg does his surgery. If you've read a lot of leg lengthening studies, you've probably seen his name all over the place because he's been doing this for years and trained a huge number of surgeons in lengthening. It turns out he will only do lengthening for discrepancy or deformity correction though. Dr Conway trained under Dr Herzenberg and she is assigned all the cosmetic patients at the Rubin Institute. I don't doubt that she'd be a great option for those who can afford it, both from training with Dr Herzenberg and Dr Paley, and from how she requires an evaluation from all prospective patients, showing she's a doctor and not a salesman.

i would never trust any woman on operating table. what if she gets on phone with friends while doing surgery? :0

Are you for real?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:54 AM »

If this was sarcasm, then lolololololol  ;D

If this was serious, then, well,  , man. You gotta get with the 21st century.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

ReadRothbard

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »

I think it'll be ridiculously high? Its in the States after all

Hope she updates soon. How did you find her?

I'm hoping for $60,000.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Infinity

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »

KiloKahn,

Any update regarding cost estimate.

Thanks.

tallerbetter

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »

I think this will be out of my budget, but I'm also interested.

tallerbetter

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »

No updates? American surgeons are always expensive but they're safer.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

Received word from Dr Conway that the cost is "roughly $100,000 USD for everything" when I asked the price for surgery, physio, and accommodation.

greatheight

• Newbi

Received word from Dr Conway that the cost is "roughly $100,000 USD for everything" when I asked the price for surgery, physio, and accommodation.

So expensive bro! Even if she's a woman, she's American. I would trust her. She would take care of us like a loving mother. But so expensive!

G-Man

lmao!  Tx for the laugh man, we need more of those around here!  :P

heightangel

lmao!  Tx for the laugh man, we need more of those around here!  :P

I agree. People have no sense of humour here

joax

Interesting, I'd never heard of a female LL doctor before. I wonder if anyone has some experiences to share about her?

spaller2015

• Newbi

Yeah there are other female LL doctors . This woman is not the only one.

heightangel

I prefer male than female surgeons but it depends. There are male doctors who are emotional like girls and female doctors who are rational and assertive.

Shortman

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »

Are you kidding me? Is that supposed to be funny? Cause it's not. I have 8 doctors in my family, 8 cousins. All females. All brilliant at what they do.

geniusfive

• Visitor

Don't ever choose her!! She is the worst, most unethical monster ever! You will be a guinea pig under her and possibly crippled for life! I suffered severe complications under her

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

Don't ever choose her!! She is the worst, most unethical monster ever! You will be a guinea pig under her and possibly crippled for life! I suffered severe complications under her

Care to elaborate on your experience?

WorkingThroughPain

• Visitor

Yes please elaborate I’m considering her

Cpl2012

Please share your experience. I got an email from another Dr who works with her saying the price roughly around 95k and finanancing available. So tempting

kneehowguys

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 06:32:38 AM »

1. Does she prohibit her patients from doing more than 5 cm? That is the vibe I'm getting from reading this. Makes me wonder if I should someday do femur with someone else and then come do tibia 5 cm with her if I ever end up living in Baltimore down the line.

2. The other consideration is her psychological requirements (Ex: You do all the tests and then what if after all that, she rejects you). She seems to be looking for the middle goldilocks zone of patient who is stable enough to undergo it but unhappy enough with their height that she thinks you would benefit from it. There seems to be a gamble in paying to see her just to find out that you are not quite in this middle zone.

3. Then, the last issue seems to be that she must not have as much experience in cosmetic leg lengthening as Mahoubian or Paley. And she seems pretty reluctant to participate.

limewalk

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 01:07:31 PM »

Yes she seems reluctant. The surgeon needs to be confident and be enthusiastic about it as well. What if you get a complication and she says "oh let's stop here. This is why I am hesitant to do CLL."

CLL is scary to begin with and if your surgeon does not reassure you then how can anyone do it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up