Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice Results and the Precice 2  (Read 14965 times)

Generic

• Visitor
Precice Results and the Precice 2
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »

Came across this interesting presentation showing Precice results, complications and improvements in 2.0

http://www.llrs.org/PDFs/Annual%20Meeting%20Presentations/Friday%20Meeting/9.Harris.pdf

Cheers,

So
Please note I'm not the real Slim Shady or Sysop!

somecm

Re: Precice Results and the Precice 2
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »

Came across this interesting presentation showing Precice results, complications and improvements in 2.0

http://www.llrs.org/PDFs/Annual%20Meeting%20Presentations/Friday%20Meeting/9.Harris.pdf

Cheers,

So
It is not full weightbearing...

Adriano

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

No nail provides full weight bearing.

unless u r one those tiny ppl who weigh under 50Kg.

somecm

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:14 PM »

Full weight bearing means walking on crutches during lengthening. Old Precise and New Precise arenĀ“t full or even half weight bearing, because you will need wheel-chair...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:24:14 PM by somecm »

alps

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »

I thought Guichet nail provides weight bearing.

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »

I thought Guichet nail provides weight bearing.

This was posted on Make Me Taller yesterday. Looks full weight-bearing to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjY6oAxLhHk

On a different note, how come I can't embed videos?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjY6oAxLhHk

On a different note, how come I can't embed videos?

There's a code wrapper to embed videos that usually works on SimpleMachinesForums but it didn't work when I tried it. I think that function has to be manually enabled by the admin.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

LLL

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »

They might be, but getting too confident and overdoing it like many patients seem to do, make the nails or the screws break all the time. Sticking to crutches should probably make it more safe.

VegasLights

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

Page 12.

14 patients requested to stop LL before reaching the pre-op goal. Why do you all think this is?

Metanoia

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »

The list of complications give a good impression of what to expect. LL is extremely dangerous. Anybody who would like to do it should be aware of it.

FutureLLPatient

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »

There seems to be some misinformation in this thread regarding Precice 2 and WB. As we all know, Precice 2 can accommodate more WB than Precice 1. The exact amount is not yet determined. However, Dr. Paley, said he expects Precice 2 to sustain 75 lbs of WB per rod. (150 lbs total if you're lengthening both legs). This means individuals weighing LESS than 150 lbs, should be able to walk full WB without unweighting.

The following paragraph came directly off of his website for Precice 1:

The amount of unweighting using the arms depends on the body weight. Ideally each rod should not be loaded by more than 50lbs. That means we can allow standing of up to 100 lbs. on both legs. Patients weighing under 100 lbs. can walk full WB without unweighting. Patients weighing 150lbs must unweight 50lbs with the arms. Those weighing 200 lbs. must unweight 100 lbs. with the arms."

http://www.paleyinstitute.org/?q=node/47

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question but you walk with one leg at a time.  Shouldn't one nail support your whole body weight if you're going to walk without unweighting?

FutureLLPatient

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:14 AM »

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question but you walk with one leg at a time.  Shouldn't one nail support your whole body weight if you're going to walk without unweighting?

Apparently not. I would've thought the same exact thing but if you're under the weight restrictions, you can go full WB according to Dr. Paley. I also think he's probably be conservative in regards to the amount of weight that a rod can sustain. Since the Precice 2 is a new device, he's only allowing patients to WB 60 lbs per rod. He said he'll bump it up to 75 lbs per rod in the future but right now, he just wants to play it safe. His number one concern is safety, which is alright by me.

LiveLife

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »

This is an intelligent question.  I had heard that walking produces much greater force than one's actual weight, and is explainable via physics.  Although I personally don't know the actual explanation.  I once come across a well explained answer to this in a YouTube video a long time ago, but can't seem to find it at all.  But I did google and found at least this http://www.allinterview.com/showanswers/58311.html.  Note that one of the responses include "A walking human will exert more than double his standing pressure." 

So if Paley instructs you NOT to walk during lengthening with the Precice, and Betz instructs you NOT to walk without crutches before he gives the green light, please don't presume they are just being overly conservative.  Do not do what your doctor tells you not to do.  Period.

alps

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »

Page 12.

14 patients requested to stop LL before reaching the pre-op goal. Why do you all think this is?
Whoa, this is important stuff.
Is there a way we can find out why they opted out?

Adriano

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »

There seems to be some misinformation in this thread regarding Precice 2 and WB. As we all know, Precice 2 can accommodate more WB than Precice 1. The exact amount is not yet determined. However, Dr. Paley, said he expects Precice 2 to sustain 75 lbs of WB per rod. (150 lbs total if you're lengthening both legs). This means individuals weighing LESS than 150 lbs, should be able to walk full WB without unweighting.

The following paragraph came directly off of his website for Precice 1:

http://www.paleyinstitute.org/?q=node/47

this is so stupid.

when u walk there is a time where each leg supports the entire weight of ur body. so if u weigh 100 lbs ur legs each hold 100 lbs

if u r standing then yes the weight is split.

so don't be fooled to think that if each nail  can support 75 lbs that it implies a 150 lbs patient can have the recise nails as full weight bearing while walking

Adriano

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »

Whoa, this is important stuff.
Is there a way we can find out why they opted out?

This is not suprising. Go and read all the diaries u can find and see how many LL patients stop lengthening  before reaching their initial LL target.

some of the reaons are.....
patients get sick and tired of the whole process
some stop because their soft tissue dont allow them to lengthen further
complications arise as patients approach their pre-LL tartgets
proportions become an issue. u can do mock ups all u want they don't always show wat u will look like after LL

if ur tagert is 8cm. after reaching 7cm u start thinking the extra cm is not worth the trouble.

sometimes patients make unrealistic target. once LL begins a lot of patients revise their targets downwards.

I don't think the 12/14 patients who gave up on their pre-ll goals says anything about the precise nails.

FutureLLPatient

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

So if Paley instructs you NOT to walk during lengthening with the Precice, and Betz instructs you NOT to walk without crutches before he gives the green light, please don't presume they are just being overly conservative.  Do not do what your doctor tells you not to do.  Period.

That's common sense. I'm simply restating what Dr. Paley ALREADY said. If he says it's safe to walk because you're under the weight restrictions, then it's safe to walk.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:23:31 PM by FutureLLPatient »

FutureLLPatient

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »

this is so stupid.

when u walk there is a time where each leg supports the entire weight of ur body. so if u weigh 100 lbs ur legs each hold 100 lbs

so don't be fooled to think that if each nail  can support 75 lbs that it implies a 150 lbs patient can have the recise nails as full weight bearing while walking

This information is coming directly off of his website. If you feel you know more about the Precice and want to argue with him about it, then simply email him. I'm sure he'll put you in your place just as he did to me.

I hope to God you guys aren't trying to run a smear campaign against certain doctors like the last forum. If you don't like the facts, email the specific doctor so he can verify them. I've emailed Dr. Paley and his staff numerous times. They'll answer any question you have.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:30:38 PM by FutureLLPatient »

Carter

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

This information is coming directly off of his website. If you feel you know more about the Precice and want to argue with him about it, then simply email him. I'm sure he'll put you in your place just as he did to me.

I hope to God you guys aren't trying to run a smear campaign against certain doctors like the last forum. If you don't like the facts, email the specific doctor so he can verify them. I've emailed Dr. Paley and his staff numerous times. They'll answer any question you have.

Dr Paley is known for his arrogance about how he is vastly qualified to perform LL over other doctors.  He'll talk down anyone who wants to discuss LL with him.  Period. 

No need to take everything a Doctor says as the gospel. We will know the facts from the end results of the patients, not what they promise.  WB of the device will be clear when it's actually used by patients.

Btw, you just sign up today and suggest  " trying to run a smear campaign"  ??? when somebody disagree with you.  Gotta say that's a really obnoxious way to make your point.   

Who

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »

No need to take everything a Doctor says as the gospel. We will know the facts from the end results of the patients, not what they promise.  WB of the device will be clear when it's actually used by patients.

this is so stupid.

Hey Carter and Adriano, you do realize that FutureLLPatient posted information about the Precice 1 which has been out since the end of 2011  ;)

Pretty sure all the facts about patient results are well documented by now!

As for the Precice 2 well if the Precice 1 can handle someone 100lbs walking unaided why do you think Dr. Paley doesn't know exactly what he's talking about with the weight bearing of 150lbs for Precice 2 since he helped develop this nail specifically for cosmetic lengthening?  I eagerly await yours and Adriano response and how you will act as if you know more than Dr. Paley about his own nail  ;D

FutureLLPatient

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »

Dr Paley is known for his arrogance about how he is vastly qualified to perform LL over other doctors.  He'll talk down anyone who wants to discuss LL with him.  Period.

I've asked him a lot of stupid questions over the past few months and he's never talked down to me. He very factual and doesn't sugarcoat anything, which is probably why he comes across as arrogant to some people.

I agree.

Btw, you just sign up today and suggest  " trying to run a smear campaign"  ??? when somebody disagree with you.  Gotta say that's a really obnoxious way to make your point.

I have no problem with people disagreeing, I just have a problem with people blatantly posting misinformation. The same thing happened in the old forum -- It was ruled by conjecture and not facts. I spoke out about it, so the Dictator banned me, which is why I'm here.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »

Here's an article about PRECICE sent to me from Dr. Paley himself when I inquired about his lengthening options. Well, not only about the PRECICE, he also talks about things regarding LL surgery itself, like what should be done with the fibula during tibial lengthening.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Adriano

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »

Hey Carter and Adriano, you do realize that FutureLLPatient posted information about the Precice 1 which has been out since the end of 2011  ;)

Pretty sure all the facts about patient results are well documented by now!

As for the Precice 2 well if the Precice 1 can handle someone 100lbs walking unaided why do you think Dr. Paley doesn't know exactly what he's talking about with the weight bearing of 150lbs for Precice 2 since he helped develop this nail specifically for cosmetic lengthening?  I eagerly await yours and Adriano response and how you will act as if you know more than Dr. Paley about his own nail  ;D

I don't care what a dr said. I don't even mention Dr Paley in my posts.

ALL I was stating is that each leg carries the entire weight of ur body when u walk.

So stop this silly suggestions that I am attacking a dr or the precise nail.

I don't think u need to be that smart to get my point...I mean seriously come on

alps

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

This is not suprising. Go and read all the diaries u can find and see how many LL patients stop lengthening  before reaching their initial LL target.

some of the reaons are.....
patients get sick and tired of the whole process
some stop because their soft tissue dont allow them to lengthen further
complications arise as patients approach their pre-LL tartgets
proportions become an issue. u can do mock ups all u want they don't always show wat u will look like after LL

if ur tagert is 8cm. after reaching 7cm u start thinking the extra cm is not worth the trouble.

sometimes patients make unrealistic target. once LL begins a lot of patients revise their targets downwards.

I don't think the 12/14 patients who gave up on their pre-ll goals says anything about the precise nails.

I got the feeling that the 12/14 patients discontinued very soon. Like 2cm/7cm and not 6cm/7cm like you said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up