Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)  (Read 39164 times)

Plzen

Hi everyone,
I am 30+ years old
170cm
155 lb before surgery
I had my surgery on November 12th (Post op day 16). Bilateral femurs
Initially, I was not in the mood to start a journal, but I have changed my mind. Also I am very bored. That is my number one complaint right now.
I am already 1cm taller.
Ask me questions. I will update my journal based on how much interest there is.

KrP1

nice, how many cm do you want to lengthen?

Joel

Nice good luck make lots of photos while your there.
5'5 manlet of peace

Plzen

nice, how many cm do you want to lengthen?

I am hoping to lengthen 7 cm

theuprising

Did Dr B mention the effect the lengthening would have on your mechanical alignment?

programdude

Congrats on undergoing this big process. You are almost past the hardest phase(the first month). If you are already bored and not in the suffering phase, be thankful honestly. For me it took around a month and a half to start getting bored instead of being pretty anguished.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ShortyMcShort

What currency did you pay in? USD or South African Rand?
And second the which guesthouse are you staying at question?  :D

Is Dr B letting you go up to 7cm or is it see how your body goes?

Plzen

The uprising,
yes he mentioned. It will not make much difference on my alignment (I think, he said that it will slightly improve it)

Plzen

ShortyMcshort,

USD
I will omit the name of the guest house to protect my identity. After I am done with the whole thing, I might disclose it (sorry guys)
He is hopeful that I can reach 7cm, but off course he wants to see how my body takes it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:54:55 AM by Plzen »

Plzen

Thank you for your support Programdude. Your diary and your PMs helped me a lot. It is not just the boredom, it is the social isolation that is driving me crazy. As mentioned above, I spend most of the day in my room, I can not get out of my room by myself. One of the few things that I look forward to is going to daily PT(they take us by car to the Physical therapy office). Unfortunately the Physical therapist decided that starting next week, I need 3 PT sessions per week instead of 5. I kind of feel sad about that. And I think it might be slightly unfair as well. Because the package mentions 75 days of daily physical therapy included in the package. And I have already paid the package price with understanding that I will have daily PT.
It sounds like I am ungrateful but I am not. I just want to tell everything that is going through my mind and things that I experience on daily basis. I still have pain, but the pain is for the most part adequately managed with pain medications that I am provided. But there are times especially at night that my pain keeps me awake and the pain medication does not touch my pain. But overall it (pain) is manageable so far.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:41:16 AM by Plzen »

TRS

Re: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 05:21:43 AM »

I will omit the name of the guest house to protect my identity (sorry guys). The owner of the guest house is nice but I feel very socially isolated. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner in the same room by myself. Before surgery, I did not think it was a big deal. But after surgery it is a different story. I chose this place (in a hurry)and I regret it, so it is not doctor's fault.
centurion is not that hot yet. quiet a bit of raining.
Good luck with your x-rays, I hope you hear a good news.
You helped me a lot through your PM and your journal.
Hang in there buddy! I was in the exact same situation as you. The isolation can become psychologically difficult but just focus on the end result.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:43:10 AM by TheRisingShorty »

Plzen

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

ShortyMcshort,
when are you planning to do your surgery? Have you chosen your doctor yet?

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 05:59:56 AM »

ShortyMcshort,
when are you planning to do your surgery? Have you chosen your doctor yet?

Not anytime soon sadly, my work is very physically demanding and doing the surgery will put me out of commission for a long time and I wont be able to work until full consolidation which will probably mean I'll lose my job sadly  :(
If I worked in an office environment and sat on a chair all day long then I'd probably do it now, currently saving $30-40,000 more than the required amount so that I can live off that when Im disabled and not able to work.

Im thinking the end of next year or early 2016.
It was a battle between Dr Birkholtz and Dr Parihar in India, Dr Birkholtz was winning by the tiniest of margins thanks to TRS's diary  ;D, thanks again for the diary TRS. But sadly the conversion rate of $52,000 USD now equates to about $62,000 in my currency, that conversion pretty much gives away my origin lol.

So atm Im thinking Dr Shah, also in India who does it for about $40,000 USD I think, plus 3 to 4 months accommodation, food and physio on top.
But still undecided and it could go either way a year or two from now. Glad theres another Dr Birkholtz diary

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »

What do you do regarding food? Are you making it yourself or ordering?
Does the place you are staying at serve food?

What do you do to keep yourself entertained? I also worry about boredom and isolation for long period of times

programdude

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »

Thank you for your support Programdude. Your diary and your PMs helped me a lot. It is not just the boredom, it is the social isolation that is driving me crazy. As mentioned above, I spend most of the day in my room, I can not get out of my room by myself. One of the few things that I look forward to is going to daily PT(they take us by car to the Physical therapy office). Unfortunately the Physical therapist decided that starting next week, I need 3 PT sessions per week instead of 5. I kind of feel sad about that. And I think it might be slightly unfair as well. Because the package mentions 75 days of daily physical therapy included in the package. And I have already paid the package price with understanding that I will have daily PT.
It sounds like I am ungrateful but I am not. I just want to tell everything that is going through my mind and things that I experience on daily basis. I still have pain, but the pain is for the most part adequately managed with pain medications that I am provided. But there are times especially at night that my pain keeps me awake and the pain medication does not touch my pain. But overall it (pain) is manageable so far.

First of all it is ridiculous to lessen the number of PT session when you've paid. Straight up theft if you don't get the 75. It also seems ignorant since even if they are saying that because you are good, the idea is to stay well ahead of the tightness.

There is really no way around the boredom I found, since I couldn't fully focus on reading or even watching something at first. Fortunately this improved and eventually watching things was doable.

I'm glad my diary was useful to you. One of the most important things from it/that I can tell you is that it does end! Someone posted that in my diary and it almost didn't feel real, but just remember one day you will be getting on a plane back home with your goal achieved and all the pain behind you. It will feel great, I promise you that.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Plzen

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »

Thank you PD for encouraging words, and  for reminding me that one day this will all end. It really helped me focus on the end goal, at least it improved my mood for today.

ShortyMcshort,
The place that I stay at provides  breakfast. But there are many other guest houses and hotels within walking distance (wait, I can't walk!) that provide either lunch or dinner or both. Currently I am ordering my food from restaurants. What I do is order 2-3 days worth of food, and put it in fridge, then microwave. It saves me delivery cost and I don't care about microwaving part (I am not picky in that regard).There is one restaurant that does not charge delivery cost (other than tip to the delivery guy). You can also order groceries online. I ordered lots of fruits, yogurt, some frozen food, salad etc. Honestly, I have no complaints about food part (but that could be because I am not picky person when it comes to food). My appetite (for any food)was not good at the beginning, but it has gotten a lot better now.
Entertainment wise. TV is mostly South African channels+bbc where I am staying at , but other places might be different.
I have a few electronic books with me (kindle), also mini-laptop.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:10:02 PM by Plzen »

3inchhope

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »

Hi all, new to the forum but im hoping to someday make the big step and have limb lengthening surgery. Im just over 5 foot 4 and hoping to gain at least 3 inches if possible.

I have been reading as much as i can here and I know there are limitations and risks to consider.

I was reading some forum posts here where if im not mistaken, Dr Franz. Birkholtz was responding to posts directly. I thought i read him say that he does not go above 165cm as in he wouldn't operate on a patient who was above this height. Also i thought i read him say that he does not do cosmetic limb lengthening any more. Can you confirm if he has any such conditions and if he you know if he will be continuing to do cosmetic limb lengthening going forward?

Im impressed by what i have read regarding the Precise II method but Paley seems just way too expensive and Dr. Birkholtz seems to know his stuff from what i have read of him so far.

Smallguy

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »

Congratulation on your LL journey! And I'm sorry to hear about the PT days being reduced. Did you complain? How can they blatantly do something like that... anyhow, would you think Dr. Birkholtz would take on a patient like myself? If he does, your diary will be highly valuable to me.

I also wish to do femur lengthening. I have fully recovered from my tibias operation and now just want another 6-7cm in the femur. My next LL journey won't take place at least until the end of this year.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »

No offence to Dr Birkholtz but having height restrictions is as stupid as Dr Guichet making you write an essay basically about how crappy your life is at your height, blah, blah and hand it over to him before he decides if he'll do your surgery. Not only is it ego deflating but its also just a complete waste of time, writing the essay that is...

Unless you are 180cm or so then what does it matter? If you are 180cm then I have no issues if a doctor refuses to do the surgery but anything less should be ok in my opinion

Also regarding the less physio days, why dont you have a chat with Dr Birkholtz about it? He seems like a very reasonable person from what I've read about him on here.
I mean if you paid for the physio then you should get it, insist on getting it.

Plzen

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »

3inchhope,
I think Dr. Birkholtz evaluate each person individually to see if he/she is a candidate for CLL. In some cases (such as mine) he will operate on people above 165cm. I have NOT heard anything about him stopping cosmetic LL, but I will ask him. I will be seeing him in a couple of weeks.

Smallguy,
I don't know what your current height is. I can ask Dr. Birkholtz when I see him next.

Smallguy+ShortyMcshort
I have sent an email to Dr. Birkholtz regarding the PT, I am hopping to hear from him soon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:33:27 PM by Plzen »

Plzen

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

1.2cm
Muscle cramps:
One thing that has been lately bothering me is muscle cramps right after distraction. It started last week when I reached 5mm. I was distracting 1mm at one sitting. The cramps were so bad that I wanted to scream and sometimes I would scream.
On Friday, the nurse changed the machine sitting to 0.5mm and I have been doing 0.5mm twice a day. Cramping is better but still there. I distracted  (0.5mm)about 2.5 hours ago and my left leg is still having some cramps and discomfort (left leg is my bad leg).
Any suggestions from the LL veterans?

TRS

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »

1.2cm
Muscle cramps:
One thing that has been lately bothering me is muscle cramps right after distraction. It started last week when I reached 5mm. I was distracting 1mm at one sitting. The cramps were so bad that I wanted to scream and sometimes I would scream.
On Friday, the nurse changed the machine sitting to 0.5mm and I have been doing 0.5mm twice a day. Cramping is better but still there. I distracted  (0.5mm)about 2.5 hours ago and my left leg is still having some cramps and discomfort (left leg is my bad leg).
Any suggestions from the LL veterans?
I had the worst pain around 0.5-1cm mark right after distraction. I remember it would linger for several hours and painkillers did not work. After that I divided my distraction twice daily. Dr.B did mention that the pain would be worst around that point but I forgot the reason why. I think it's something related to muscle and bone elasticity or memory, sorry can't really remember. But the pain gradually improved and became non-existent after 2cm. And I went back to 1mm in one session.
Maybe you could divide your distraction to 0.25 4 times daily. That should decrease your pain.   

Plzen

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

Thank you TRS,
That is really good news. I hope the same happens to me (distraction pain diminishes after 2cm mark).

programdude

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:50 AM »

What on earth? You're doing two .5mm sessions and started at 1mm ones? I always did four 0.25 session and had no pain right after. However when I did 2 mm(1 mm one after the other) it was excruciating pain.

It is insane that they are having you do it in sessions like that. Lengthening itself should be the easiest part of this, and lack of pain is one of the advantages of precice.

My advice is to insist on changing to that four session structure- I can promise a big difference. Also get on their back about those PT sessions.

Plzen

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 04:58:36 AM »

Thank you Programdude for your helpful input.
I will discuss with them. Right now my main concern is the reduction in Physical Therapy.

Plzen

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »

Update 1.3cm
I am having a lot of muscle cramps today. Lengthened twice 0.5mm each times today. Last I lengthened was about 4 hours ago, but I am still very uncomfortable.

I did not want to bring up the issue of distraction rate (reducing it 0.25mm 4 times per day) today because I still haven't heard about getting my PT days back. I wanted to focus on that issue first.
Tomorrow I want to bring up the issue of both getting back my full PT days, and changing the distraction rate.

Today I had a different Physical therapist, and she was disappointed with some of my range of motions. She uncovered many weaknesses, both in terms of strength and flexibility.
So overall no good news yet, but I am hopeful and determined to improve my range of motion, once I deal with these terrible cramps.

programdude

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 12:45:30 AM »

I know its not your fault, but thats exactly why you should have gotten full PT and why what they did is outrageous. Once you fall behind things can catch up fast.

Hope they resolve this asap since this speaks very poorly of their setup.

TRS

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:51 AM »

Update 1.3cm
I am having a lot of muscle cramps today. Lengthened twice 0.5mm each times today. Last I lengthened was about 4 hours ago, but I am still very uncomfortable.

I did not want to bring up the issue of distraction rate (reducing it 0.25mm 4 times per day) today because I still haven't heard about getting my PT days back. I wanted to focus on that issue first.
Tomorrow I want to bring up the issue of both getting back my full PT days, and changing the distraction rate.

Today I had a different Physical therapist, and she was disappointed with some of my range of motions. She uncovered many weaknesses, both in terms of strength and flexibility.
So overall no good news yet, but I am hopeful and determined to improve my range of motion, once I deal with these terrible cramps.
You can adjust the distraction rate to 0.25 by yourself. If you're uncomfortable with adjusting the ERC device then inform them asap because it seems that 0.5 is too much for you. I know the other LL'er faced difficulties with that amount and most diaries indicate that dividing the distraction to 4 times is less painful. I was able to distract 0.5mm and then adjusted back to 1mm in one session without any pain after 2cm so individual variation does apply when it comes to distraction.
I had physiotherapy every weekday but the sessions alternated from 1/2 hour to 1 hour plus the extra bike for 1/2 hour - 1 hour at the clinic without any charge. This worked out fine for me and the other LL'er.
Hope things do get sorted out asap.

Plzen

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

1.4cm
Crampings/pain much better. I changed the ERC sitting to 0.25mm, which I am doing 4 times per day. It makes a huge difference. Thank you programdude and therisingshorty.  I have cramps in my left leg for about 5 minutes after each distraction  (as opposed to 4-5 hours). I am hoping that will get even better because right now my legs are sore from last weeks distraction, so even minor discomfort upset them.

About Physical therapy- I was supposed to be only biking (stationary) today, I explained the situation to the PT boss, and he was nice enough to let me have PT today(just a one time thing). I don't know whether I will get all my PT days back or not. Hopefully, I will find out soon. I will be very upset if I don't get the daily PT, which I have already paid for.

I find it frustrating to wait for the decision about my PT days, when it clearly says in the package "75 days of daily PT included", and I have already paid the full package price.

TRS

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

1.4cm
Crampings/pain much better. I changed the ERC sitting to 0.25mm, which I am doing 4 times per day. It makes a huge difference. Thank you programdude and therisingshorty.  I have cramps in my left leg for about 5 minutes after each distraction  (as opposed to 4-5 hours). I am hoping that will get even better because right now my legs are sore from last weeks distraction, so even minor discomfort upset them.

About Physical therapy- I was supposed to be only biking (stationary) today, I explained the situation to the PT boss, and he was nice enough to let me have PT today(just a one time thing). I don't know whether I will get all my PT days back or not. Hopefully, I will find out soon. I will be very upset if I don't get the daily PT, which I have already paid for.

I find it frustrating to wait for the decision about my PT days, when it clearly says in the package "75 days of daily PT included", and I have already paid the full package price.

Glad to hear that your pain has decreased. This pain may have been the most likely cause for decreased ROM and tightness. Pain did reduce my ROM at times but got better when the pain settled down.
Anyway, I hope they do sort out the physio asap.

Plzen

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »

Last night right after I posted, I distracted 0.25mm (total of 1mm per day). I had terrible pain/cramping in my left thigh for about 1.5 hour. It was really severe.
Today, I have been doing 0.25mm distractions at time, and it is better (but cramping is not resolved yet). I hope this cramping will all go away soon.

Physical therapy is going well. Good news is that my PT is changed back to daily. I will still miss a lot of sessions because of the holidays (PT office closed for 7 days during the holiday season, and those are all weekdays, off course there is no PT on the weekends)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up