Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowspike - Dr. Guichet, Internal Femurs, Late 2014  (Read 352766 times)

YellowSpike

Re: Yellowspike - Dr. Guichet, Internal Femurs, Late 2014
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:40 PM »

I heard my doctor say something like 3 mm or so (for tibia, regarding compression after taking off frames). So I guess its not that much. Don't worry about it. I think for you it is less, cos' you have a rod inside.

Also just to correct myself, 6.85 vs 7 cm is a difference of 0.15 cm, or 1.5 mm, that's insanely small (look at a ruler to see how small it is, it is tinier than an ant!)

Wish you all the best of luck, buddy! Hope to see you moving on in life (as I will, too). I am just really really bored mentally now. Trying to keep myself occupied. No pain, good sleep, but... the mental aspect, is quite tiring... it has taken a toll on both of us, I am sure.

Yeah I think I'm going to stop at 6.85cm, because it's really so close to 7cm. Just 15 clicks away, so 2-3 more days. I just hope it doesn't set my recovery back too much, I can't see how it could. Figured I'd bargain with myself and split the oh-so-huge difference of 2.5mm lol

Yeah man I hope we can both put this behind us very soon!! Thanks again for your support. You got a friend here if you need one!

ItsMyLife

« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »

No problem bro! Femur is always very tough. There was a Russian patient who commented her tibia pain was like 1/10 and femur was 9/10. (she did one femur and two tibias;one femur to correct 2 cm discrepancy)

Your diary is an immense eye-opener to the femur lengthening process. I might do with Dr G. Either that, or Russia. I have to research thoroughly and seek opinions from my local ortho.

YellowSpike

« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »

No problem bro! Femur is always very tough. There was a Russian patient who commented her tibia pain was like 1/10 and femur was 9/10. (she did one femur and two tibias;one femur to correct 2 cm discrepancy)

Your diary is an immense eye-opener to the femur lengthening process. I might do with Dr G. Either that, or Russia. I have to research thoroughly and seek opinions from my local ortho.

Dude, if your starting height is 173 and you're already on you way to 6cm+ from tibias, you don't need LL. I know, i know, it's all how we feel about ourselves and even a 7ft man can have height neurosis...but man...5'8" is epic for me...you weren't short ,and will not be short after doing your tibias!!! lol

I'm stopping either today at 6.8cm+ or MAYBE tomorrow for 6.85cm+ (not that it makes a difference). Starting to work has really instilled that I need to get back to my life and start recovering. I'm hoping my next x-rays are a least decent, since I've only been lengthening every few days, and very small amounts. I need to get clearance from Dr. G to start at least practicing to walk without crutches. My last x-rays were February 3...I'm getting them again I think this weekend or mid next week. Very scared and hoping my bone ossification has improved enough.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »

Btw reason I wanna do femur is because many people here are saying to do femur+tibia. Spread the height between them. But my doctor has said that 8 cm in tibia is not a problem for athleticism. Being at 5 cm+ I have to make the call soon. I think I will let my body decide. If I can reach 7 cm without pain or soft tissue complication I will push for 8 cm. I think listening to your body was a good thing to do. But who knows? Maybe you had so much pain but recover better than other patients. Its so scary that nothing about LL is exact......

SO yeah I have to make that call:  8 cm tibias, or 6 cm tibia + 3 cm femur.... and 3 cm femur is not worth paying that insane amount to Guichet, come to think of it. (I cant do more: proportions)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »

Dude, if your starting height is 173 and you're already on you way to 6cm+ from tibias, you don't need LL. I know, i know, it's all how we feel about ourselves and even a 7ft man can have height neurosis...but man...5'8" is epic for me...you weren't short ,and will not be short after doing your tibias!!! lol

I'm stopping either today at 6.8cm+ or MAYBE tomorrow for 6.85cm+ (not that it makes a difference). Starting to work has really instilled that I need to get back to my life and start recovering. I'm hoping my next x-rays are a least decent, since I've only been lengthening every few days, and very small amounts. I need to get clearance from Dr. G to start at least practicing to walk without crutches. My last x-rays were February 3...I'm getting them again I think this weekend or mid next week. Very scared and hoping my bone ossification has improved enough.

There was 1-2 weeks ago I watched a documentary (Channel News Asia) where they asked Singapore women. A lot of them said taller than 170 cm is enough.That was when I was slightly questioning my sanity for doing this. I mean, I was already above average in my country. But I do this... not for girls.. I just wanna feel tall in my life. Its a different target. (feeling tall vs feeling average).

This forum has a distorted perception about height. But I think there MUST BE some truth to at least some benefit vis-à-vis work and dating. I mean, look at the height of American presidents. Even in Singapore our prime ministers were about 180+ to 190.

I don't really see a problem going to work with crutches. I mean. come on. Honestly? I don't think you will walk properly by the time you go to walk. Maybe with at least a light limp. Its not that much of a difference since you have to explain to them that perhaps you injured your leg in an accident.

YellowSpike

« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

There was 1-2 weeks ago I watched a documentary (Channel News Asia) where they asked Singapore women. A lot of them said taller than 170 cm is enough.That was when I was slightly questioning my sanity for doing this. I mean, I was already above average in my country. But I do this... not for girls.. I just wanna feel tall in my life. Its a different target. (feeling tall vs feeling average).

This forum has a distorted perception about height. But I think there MUST BE some truth to at least some benefit vis-à-vis work and dating. I mean, look at the height of American presidents. Even in Singapore our prime ministers were about 180+ to 190.

I don't really see a problem going to work with crutches. I mean. come on. Honestly? I don't think you will walk properly by the time you go to walk. Maybe with at least a light limp. Its not that much of a difference since you have to explain to them that perhaps you injured your leg in an accident.

I think if I were 5'7" minimum, I wouldn't have done LL. Because I'd be 5'8" with sneakers, and would just say I'm 5'8". I used to say I was 5'7" when I was closer 5'5", and I usually got away with it. I think it's under 5'7" (although 5'7" is borderline) when things start getting really bad and you really do deal with height discrimination.

Well, I don't care if I'm walking with a limp or swaying a bit. I just want to be at least walking, even if I have to still somewhat rely on the crutches. I already know the excuse that I'm telling everyone at work, I'm just scared they're going to notice the height increase. Because it IS very noticeable (which is what I wanted, though it's a mixed blessing in this case). My boss is in on this (he wants LL too), so he even said he'd wear elevator shoes for a few days so no one noticed that I'm now taller than him. Plus, since I've been away for over 3 months, I'm hoping people won't really remember exactly how tall I was (plus, I used to wear elevator shoes to work, so that buys me about a 1.5 inch increase they're already "used to.")

endomorphisme

« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »

YellowSpike

would it bother you if people notice you're taller?

YellowSpike

« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

YellowSpike

would it bother you if people notice you're taller?

Well, I plan on looking for a new job soon, so it would only be a short-term issue I'd have to deal with. My firm has strict HR rules, so no one can just call me out. My firm's benefit plan actually even pays for the freaking sex change surgery! you'd think they'd pay for/condone LL! lol

It's not so much that it would be bother me (that WAS the idea why I did LL)...I'm just scared of how to explain it. I'm going to be telling everyone I had surgery to correct bow-legs, as I was having back issues for a long time. If the height issue is pressed, I would say the surgery gave me a slight height increase, as did improving my back issues. I'm going to try to be as vague as possible. And avoid mentioning height if I can.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »

I think if I were 5'7" minimum, I wouldn't have done LL. Because I'd be 5'8" with sneakers, and would just say I'm 5'8". I used to say I was 5'7" when I was closer 5'5", and I usually got away with it. I think it's under 5'7" (although 5'7" is borderline) when things start getting really bad and you really do deal with height discrimination.

Well, I don't care if I'm walking with a limp or swaying a bit. I just want to be at least walking, even if I have to still somewhat rely on the crutches. I already know the excuse that I'm telling everyone at work, I'm just scared they're going to notice the height increase. Because it IS very noticeable (which is what I wanted, though it's a mixed blessing in this case). My boss is in on this (he wants LL too), so he even said he'd wear elevator shoes for a few days so no one noticed that I'm now taller than him. Plus, since I've been away for over 3 months, I'm hoping people won't really remember exactly how tall I was (plus, I used to wear elevator shoes to work, so that buys me about a 1.5 inch increase they're already "used to.")

Seems like a great plan together with the bow leg excuse.

I asked a friend this sensitive question. He is 165 cm and at 7 cm below average height (172 cm) he experiences no height discrimination. Contra, my friend at 161 cm claims he does. (It might be different attitude towards height in Asia; less judgemental than western countries)

So I agree with your statement. If the average height in America is 176 cm, then it stands to logic that around 169-170 there should be no discrimination.

I would think you need to be 173-174 at least to "feel" average in America. (2cm is not a big difference, in terms of the perception)

YellowSpike

« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

Seems like a great plan together with the bow leg excuse.

I asked a friend this sensitive question. He is 165 cm and at 7 cm below average height (172 cm) he experiences no height discrimination. Contra, my friend at 161 cm claims he does. (It might be different attitude towards height in Asia; less judgemental than western countries)

So I agree with your statement. If the average height in America is 176 cm, then it stands to logic that around 169-170 there should be no discrimination.

I would think you need to be 173-174 at least to "feel" average in America. (2cm is not a big difference, in terms of the perception)

Yeah I'm hoping it all works out. Today is my last day for doing any clicks, because at this point, I really and truly need and want to focus on recovery. I just hope throwing in these few days of intermittent clicks doesn't set me back too much.

I'm probably very close to 173, so whatever. I think anything 172 and over is fine in America, even if borderline-ish. I didn't really experience height discrimination per se, but definitely took shots from people over the years. It was more hearing other people talk about other short men (some even taller than me) that got me very upset. I know I'll never be regarded as tall...I just wanted to blend in more, and I believe I will now.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »

When do you start work?

I do not think throwing in additional clicks will impede your progress much. This is because consolidation is happening even when you are lengthening (I have quite a dense bone bridge... almost connected to the other end).

Good luck!

YellowSpike

« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »

When do you start work?

I do not think throwing in additional clicks will impede your progress much. This is because consolidation is happening even when you are lengthening (I have quite a dense bone bridge... almost connected to the other end).

Good luck!

Hope so bro! I took a few days off too, and I'm lengthening such small amounts (because I'm so damn anal, lol). I can't see how it would set me back much.

I'm working from home now, but hoping to be back in the office within 3ish or so weeks (preferably without crutches, but if I have to, I'll go in with crutches, whatever).

Taller

« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »

For a considerable part of his lengthening, Apotheosis clicked under half a millimeter per day until his tibiae consolidated and had no soft tissue problems throughout his lengthening. He did 11CM on the tibiae alone that way and worked almost the whole time. If you do like 0.01 CM per day, or close to that, then your soft tissue recovery, and general recovery, shouldn't be affected much and you'll get 7CM eventually.

If not getting to 7CM is going to drive you crazy, and it looks like it will, the you might as well man up and go to 7CM, or your height neurosis will never be completely gone and you'll live life with some element of regret, something you can't settle for considering what you've sacrificed to get to this point.

Just be smart about how you get to 7CM. You've got months until complete consolidation anyways, so lengthen as slowly as possible in order to not affect your recovery. You've got at least a month until the clicking device stops working to lengthen a fraction of a centimeter. Just break it up into very, very small lengths each day and your soft tissue won't even detect the clicks.

Or, better yet, you could find a way to not be so worked up about a fraction of a centimeter, but that doesn't seem to be working out for you and it would suck to be regretful for the rest of your life.

Sorry if that came off as harsh. It was intended as a tough love post.

YellowSpike

« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:44 AM »

Apotheosis clicked under half a millimeter per day until his tibiae consolidated and had no soft tissue problems throughout his lengthening. He did 11CM on the tibiae alone that way and worked almost the whole time. If you do like 0.01 CM per day, or close to that, then your soft tissue recovery, and general recovery, shouldn't be affected much and you'll get 7CM eventually.

If not getting to 7CM is going to drive you crazy, and it looks like it will, the you might as well man up and go to 7CM, or your height neurosis will never be completely gone and you'll live life with some element of regret, something you can't settle for considering what you've sacrificed to get to this point.

Just be smart about how you get to 7CM. You've got months until complete consolidation anyways so lengthen as slowly as possible in order to not affect your recovery.

Or, better yet, you could find a way to not be so worked up about a fraction of a centimeter, but that doesn't seem to be working out for you and it would suck to be regretful for the rest of your life.

Sorry if that came off as harsh. It was intended as a tough love post.

No, your post was EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks a lot bro. I'm ALMOST at peace with this. I think what really helped today was starting to work again, and having friends who I haven't heard from reach out to me. I feel like my life is calling me back. And I need to get back to it. I'm at 6.85cm+ right now. 1.5mm isn't visible, and I can always get it in the future (if it REALLY bothers me, and once I have a life again, I don't think it will) from yoga or (apparently) gluco supplements.

I'm stopping now, most likely. I really would like to be walking without crutches (even stiffly/funny) within the next 2-3 weeks. If I have to go back to the office on crutches, so be it, but I'd prefer not to.

Once again, thanks for the tough love post :)

Uppland

« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »

Would there be a noticeable difference in terms of recovery and biomechanics between lengthening 6 or 7Cm anyway?

Taller

« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:25 AM »

Would there be a noticeable difference in terms of recovery and biomechanics between lengthening 6 or 7Cm anyway?

Not between 6.85 and 7... There's no noticeable difference between these two amounts in any aspect, save for the psychological difference.

YellowSpike, I'm glad to hear that my post was well received. How was your experience going back to work three inches taller?

YellowSpike

« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2015, 01:37:08 AM »

Not between 6.85 and 7... There's no noticeable difference between these two amounts in any aspect, save for the psychological difference.

YellowSpike, I'm glad to hear that my post was well received. How was your experience going back to work three inches taller?

Haven't gone back into the office yet. Working from home for the next 2-3 weeks. I really want to get back in there as soon as possible. With my job, working from home isn't ideal and I feel like I need to be back there.

So I'm just gonna focus on recovery now in order to speed up to when I'm able to walk.

YellowSpike

« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

Have lengthened around 6.9cm (click file says 6.86cm, but I know it's more because it's not counting some clicks we did in the hospital and some others that I know weren't tracked). Haven't clicked in the last day and a half because my left leg has quite a bit of pain with certain movements and when I weight bear on it (although it seems to go away after walking a lot). I think I'm going to stop here and focus on recovery. Dr. Guichet told me that patients generally gain a little more than what they click (because 15 clicks isn't EXACTLY 1mm), and based on what I understood of his response, the natural angle of our femurs has very little effect on total stature gain. If it weren't for my left leg pain and time constraints (needing to get back to my life), I'd possibly go on a bit more...but my body I think is really telling me it's time to stop. I don't want to risk any long-term damage moreso than I already have.

Had x-rays on Saturday and waiting to hear back from Dr. G his thoughts on them. The right leg seems to be healing better than the left leg. I'm going to start taking more supplements (in addition to my calcium supplements and multi-vitamins) to try and help them heal faster. I've also been making sure to get as much protein as I can. It's hard to walk a lot now since I'm working again (I have a home office), but I try to after work every night (despite the horrible weather we've been having here).

I only hope that I've reached my goal of 5'8"...if I did, I have no regrets whatsoever. I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind putting in the hard work...but can't stand not achieving my goals. I'm actually terrified to be measured ever again. I know it doesn't really make a difference in the long run if I'm a tiny fraction under...it's just the principle of the matter. Might sound crazy to others, but it's just the way I feel right now. Especially given all the pain, time and money I have invested in this process.

I think I will feel better about all of this once I'm at least "walking" (aka limping) again without crutches. Very nervous to actually return to the office.

YellowSpike

« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »

I'm feeling a lot better now. It's around 5:30PM where I live, and I was just measured 3 times...each time a bit over 5'8" (even as much as 5'8.5", but after that, it was more like 5'8.25"/5'8.15"). I stood against the wall barefoot (and still fairly significant duckass/curvature of my back), and a relative (who wants me to stop obsessing over this lol) and he measured me 3 times. I told him to be as conservative as possible and not to add anything (and to account for my thick head of my hair by using a flat book to mark the wall lol). And I'm happy that these measurements were taken in the evening after being hunched and sitting near my computer screen all day. I know that even these measurements may not be EXACT, and we have a range of heights...I may be 5'7.85" at 10PM, lol. But whatever....it's still so much better than where I was before LL.

So for me, this is closure on my height itself. Time to stop obsessing. Time to stop clicking (thank GOD). Time to start healing and getting on with my life. Now I honestly feel like I've realized an impossible dream...but I only hope and pray that I recover fully in due time :)

I have to do my part. Even though the weather blows where I live, and it's night, I'm going to a nice long walk tonight. Gotta get on dat weight-bearing time to get dem bones healed. lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:58:11 PM by YellowSpike »

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2015, 03:11:23 AM »

Ñow you can walk unaided?

alps

« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »

Hey Yellow, do you mind posting pictures of your legs? scars, proportions, duck-ass, etc.

We'd love to see them.

Btw, I'm sure you'll recover great.

YellowSpike

« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »

Hey Yellow, do you mind posting pictures of your legs? scars, proportions, duck-ass, etc.

We'd love to see them.

Btw, I'm sure you'll recover great.

I'll try to post pictures at some point soon. I definitely still have a good amount of duck-ass, and the scars aren't bad. And I think my proportions are great (they look very similar to ShyShy, I'd say. He was a bit taller than me at 168 versus my 166, but I had a slightly taller sitting height than he did. He also did 7.5cm, I did around 7cm give or take).

Hope I recover great man. I really, really, REALLY want to get rid of these crutches already!

Ñow you can walk unaided?

Nope, not yet. Waiting to get feedback on my latest x-rays. I think my left leg is taking longer to heal. I also still have a good amount of pain on my left leg when I do certain movements.

YellowSpike

« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »

Anxiously awaiting feedback on my latest x-rays. Really hoping I get to start full weight-bearing soon.

My main concern right now (aside from starting to walk unaided again) is that my left leg has a lot of pain (I think it's nerve pain) when I do certain movements. It seems to get better after having walked a lot. But when I move it in certain ways or when I start to weight bear on it after sitting (or sit at the edge of the bed), it hurts a good amount. I hope this resolves with time.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

Your diary is a real success story, man. 5'5 to 5'8 is a huge change. That's going from legitimately short to average. I imagine people are really going to be looking at you differently, man.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:53 PM »

Your diary is a real success story, man. 5'5 to 5'8 is a huge change. That's going from legitimately short to average. I imagine people are really going to be looking at you differently, man.

I appreciate that man. Well, I won't consider this a success until I'm walking. But I'm very excited about being able to enjoy my new height.

I'm kinda bummed right now. Per my latest x-rays, healing is going in the right direction, albeit slowly. The only thing is that I took the x-rays on the day I stopped clicking, so I'm hoping the healing begins to progress a bit faster now that I'm not lengthening anymore. It also sucks because I know I have to walk a lot, but the weather where I live (snow/rain/ice) makes doing that risky in and of itself. So I'm not able to walk very much aside from around my house at this point.  Still waiting for an official word on if I can even take a few steps here and there without crutches. I won't risk it until he confirms it absolutely.

I'm hoping my next set of X-rays in maybe 3 weeks or so are better. I'm going to really amp up my calorie intake (even though I'm really not that hungry) and take other supplements (protein shakes, L-Lysine, Strontium, Magnesium, etc.) that may help.

I knew the recovery phase was gonna blow, big time. I hate working from my home office too. I need to be back in the office, but safety first.

If any of the LL vets on here have any suggestions as to what I can do to help speed up the process, I'd love to hear them!

YellowSpike

« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »

Dr. Guichet said I can take a few steps around the house (flat floor) without crutches. I'm just terrified to do this, as the bones still have a few weeks until fusion. I actually may still wait another week or two before I try this. Put some more distance between end of clicks and walking (though I've seen diaries like ShyShy and met a few in Milano who were walking a bit unaided just days after clicking stopped).

Plzen

« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:44 PM »

Congrats on your journey so far, good luck in the future. 
I suggest a stationary bike for exercise, if you are already not using one. You might be able to find a used one online.

YellowSpike

« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »

Congrats on your journey so far, good luck in the future. 
I suggest a stationary bike for exercise, if you are already not using one. You might be able to find a used one online.

Thanks bro. I'm just hoping recovery goes smoothly. I at least hope within a month I'm at least walking funnily/stiffly without crutches.

Yeah I've got one. I try to use it each day. I'm wondering if slowly upping the resistance will help with bone ossification? Maybe?

ItsMyLife

« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »

Does resistance biking help gain back leg strength? Cos I imagine I could do it even now.

YellowSpike

« Reply #308 on: March 05, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »

Does resistance biking help gain back leg strength? Cos I imagine I could do it even now.

I think it does. As you up the resistance ,your legs are working harder. With the horrible weather, it may be my best option for now.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #309 on: March 05, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »

I think it does. As you up the resistance ,your legs are working harder. With the horrible weather, it may be my best option for now.

Ah. Any idea if this is any good for tibia lengtheners?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up