Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does bone growth work exactly ?  (Read 2068 times)

llx54511

• Saul
How does bone growth work exactly ?
« on: December 27, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »

I understand the rudiments however when I think of a scenario like this I get lost: Assuming nutrition/sleep is adequate, there is no hgh deficiency and growth plates of the leg bones are very much open; how come in some cases the leg bones do not continue to grow? I've read a lot of cases where a teen stays a certain height and stops growing for years before their growth plates fully close. Readrothbard says he was 5'6 from 13-17 and only grew half an inch after. If hgh is constantly being secreted and transported all over the body, how can for example the arm bones grow in length but the leg bones not ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:49:34 AM by llx54511 »
Morning: ~162cm
Night: ~161cm
Wingspan: 174cm
Realistic Goal: 172cm
Ultimate Goal: ~177cm

Uppland

Re: How does bone growth work exactly ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »

The growth plate isn't like a door that suddenly seals shut but rather its ossification is a slow process. Growth works in conjucction with many different hormones and is a complcated proces that can be influenced by a variety of things.

If you're really interested I suggest you read a book or two about it I'm not really qualified to give a lecture on anything in biology.

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 03:54:45 AM »

Bones are arguably the strongest part of the human makeup, but how it "grows" is dependent on different situations.

Puberty - I assume you are talking about this one, the bones have "growth plates," cartilage in the ends of each bone. When we are born, the baby's skeleton is practically cartilage, but as time goes on, it hardens and lengthens in conjunction to pubertal phases. Lengthwise, the pituitary gland releases HGH (Human Growth Hormone) into growth plates, causing them to expand. Human Growth Hormone can be prescribed to children of a short stature/hormone deficiency, but it's only before puberty, before growth plate closure, or being hormone deficient. However, the side effects outweigh the benefits in healthy individuals, and would definitely cost more in total in money+time than one lengthening procedure. The growth plates can be checked with an X-ray of either your hands or your knees. If the X-ray shows no sign of growth plate, then you're most likely done, your only choice is either acceptance or surgery. Or, if you are not willing to pay for an X-ray, see your hair patterns. Did thicker hair grow in your forearms, legs/thighs, face, privates, chest, fully developed privates? Is there a snail trail? Check out the tanner stages scale online, each stage has different growth rates, 5  being the slowest. While these studies for the scales have been accurate, some lucky ones have insane growth spurts even when genitals are fully developed/hair patterns and physiques of adults. Your genetics determine your rate of growth, when puberty starts/finishes, and what height you will become. Growth can never be enhanced, but only stunted. If you are still growing, try to avoid stunting it as much as humanly possible (Smoking cigarettes/lack of sleep are the biggest stunts)

Broken legs (Surgery) - Bone broken? No problem, bone grows and regenerates what has been broken if not even stronger. Using this to doctor's advantages, we are able to use internal/external fixators on either the femur (thigh) or tibia (lower leg).. Bones are "Broken," and are monitored through devices that will expand the broken gap. Over time, the broken gap is surrounded by bone and is lengthened as a result. Pain and discomfort is at high, but keep in mind the legs are practically broken in half the whole time. It's not 100% for some doctors, the bone can grow in unwanted places, but good doctors can lower that risk.
5"6 and proud

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:02:03 AM »

When growth plates are open that doesn't necessarily mean that you will grow as a result. HGH alone does a lot, but it cannot grow bones without the aid of other factors as well..

Different areas and different parts of the body are uniquely determined through genetics. You can train/drug yourself as much as you may, but your body knows what it's going to grow as and will refrain from changing that. If we knew what you stated, none of us would be here, we would all have long limbs and wouldn't have to worry one bit. There are exceptions of course as to deformities and tissue potency, but arm bones grow that of similar to leg bones. Some people's plates close at age 14-17, while some are a bit late from 18-25, but whatever potential height they reach if they are of excellent health is what the body wanted since.
5"6 and proud
Pages: [1]   Go Up