Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External fixator removed, nail locked  (Read 1403 times)

zioon

• Visitor
External fixator removed, nail locked
« on: December 24, 2014, 05:02:52 AM »

Hi guy,

I just removed my fixator and locked nail inside my femur. FYI,  I had LON 4 month ago. I do this procedure to fix my length discrepancy (5cm) , so only did my left femur.

I have reached my 5cm and felt that my both leg is the same length now which I very happy about it. When my doctor remove my fixator, we also discuss that bone graft will be done when removing fixator. But end out when I was in the operating theater, I was told that bone graft will not very done as my doctor afraid will Cause infection.

1st Question - when removing of fixator and bone graft at the same time will Cause infection? Fyi,  I'm using my own hip bone.

I ask my doctor If the bone still not healing what should I do? He say will have to do another operation for bone graft. I was quite angry as why can't we do bone grafting at the same time when remove fixator.

I have OI disease, although my is mild conditions but my bone healing very slow. After 4 month now, although the fixtor removed, I still have a 5 cm gap which no much bone had grow.

2nd question - base on what my doctor told me, normal person that lengthening 5cm took 6 month for the whole gap to fill up with new bone. Is that correct? He estimate 9 month for me to fill up 5 cm gap with new bone.

3rd question - If I do bone grafting, will I be able to walk right after the grafting? will the bone heal faster?

I intend to seek opinion from another doctor of mine a few year back. But he currently work in a private hospital which I can't really afford. I live in Singapore and their is government and private hospital. Government hospital have subsidy where I able to afford. Feeling stress.

I don't really know how I'm gonna live my life staying at home for the next 5 month. If after 5month my bone is not healing well and my doctor decide to do bone graft for me, by that time I still need a few month to recover before I can lead my normal life. Have been absent from work for the past 4 month. Stressful.

ForcedPuberty

Re: External fixator removed, nail locked
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

if you had a bone disease for increasing chances of non union or slow growth of the bone then you should have done external completely and not lon.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

zioon

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

if you had a bone disease for increasing chances of non union or slow growth of the bone then you should have done external completely and not lon.

I'm not sure but that what my doctor decide to do.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:36:03 AM »

Externals only on femurs....? Ahaha good one....
How long would he need to have the frames on his femurs for? How uncomfortable would that be

zioon

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »

Externals only on femurs....? Ahaha good one....
How long would he need to have the frames on his femurs for? How uncomfortable would that be

I have the frame on for 4 month. Although is already taken off which is quite a relieve but still worrying about when the gap will fill up with bone.

Any idea for bone grafting, will doctor fill up the whole gap with my hip bone or partial?
Pages: [1]   Go Up