Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Donghoon Lee (Gyeonggi-do, South Korea) Bundang CHA Hospital  (Read 35825 times)

Muse

Dr Donghoon Lee (Gyeonggi-do, South Korea) Bundang CHA Hospital
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

General Information about Dr Donghoon Lee from Bundang CHA Hospital, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea .  Contact them for specific information and latest updates.

Dr Donghoon Lee will be moving to Severance hospital (affiliated with Yonsei University) with effect from March or May 2014.

Note: please refer to our disclaimer about The Doctors Directory http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=55.0

Methods of Leg Lengthening

1. Only using an external fixator
2. Hybrid Techniques (LON, LATN,LOP)
3. Intramedullary Lengthening Devices

Lengthening Over Nail (LON)
    - Minimum invasive, minimum scar, correct curvature legs simultaneously
         - Established surgical method to minimize x-shaped leg occur
         - Product - Internal Fixation; ETN®(Synthes, USA), ASLS®(Synthes, USA)
         - External Fixator; Ortho SUV®(Russia), Hexapod®(Germany)

Lengthening And Then Nailing (LATN)
         - Rehabilitation period shorten over six weeks compared to LON, possible to return back to everyday life quickly, abundant bone regeneration formation 
        - First time in Korea, successful LATN method
   - Possess the nation’s largest number of cases
   - Product - Internal Fixation; ETN®(Synthes, USA), ASLS®(Synthes, USA))
        - External fixator device; Ortho SUV®(Russia), Hexapod®(Germany)
     - Computer-assisted external fixator device (Ortho SUV®, Hexapod®)   

Intramedullary Lengthening Devices(PRECICE®- Ellipse, USA)
        - Least scars and pain surgical method, lengthening using only the internal fixator without the external fixator
        - Possess the nation’s largest number of cases

** Worry-free bone regeneration
       - lengthening surgery using combined bone marrow concentration(BMAC) & platelet rich plasma(PRP) therapy which enhance      bone regeneration, first established in the world

Recovery

To minimize various complications resulting from limb lengthening, it is recommended that lengthening is performed under 20% of the original bone length, and by an experienced surgeon. 

Since the femur is longer than the tibia, generally speaking it is possible to lengthen more when lengthening the femur. However, since the muscles surrounding the femur are very strong, too much lengthening could lead to joint contracture in the hip joint or knee joint, so caution must be taken.

In terms of scars, in the case of the femur, scars near the outer buttocks can be concealed with underwear and all scars(1cm size) form on the outer thigh, so they cannot be seen from the front or back. They cannot be seen at all if  shorts or pants longer than knee length are worn. In the case of the tibia, since scars form on the knee and calf, there is more exposure.

However, over the course of time, these scars fade away, and especially for those with much leg hair, they are not a big problem. In the consideration of scars, the use of internal lengthening nails(like PRECICE) is recommended over external fixators (LON/LATN).

Limb lengthening is a process that involves not only the bone but also the soft tissue surrounding the bone. Especially when muscle is lengthened, even after recovery, sports ability (especially when playing vigorous sports) might not return 100%. The more the bone is lengthened, the more probability sports ability will not fully recover.

According to  Park's report (Park HW et al, JBJS,2008 ) , 25% of the people who lengthen the tibia(6cm in average) was found to have some difficulties in persuing vigorous activity

If both Tibia and Femur are lengthened sequentially, the maximum to be 10cm in total. But, one more important thing is to consider body ratio. So, I recommend to decide the target considering the safety, recovery of sports activity and body ratio.

My patients need a consultation with me before surgery.

If you have kept up with the exercises (Biking, squats, lunges, water walking, and swimming) for strengthen the front thigh muscle(quadriceps femoris), this will give great help to do the rehabilitation after the surgery. In addition to the thigh muscle exercises, upper-body muscle exercise and stretching exercises as a whole will also help.

Cost
USD (may change slightly due to rates based on Korea WON currency conversion)

All Figures Rounded Up: 2 Person Shared Room
Hospital Length of Stay = 4 Months for LON/LATN, 3 Months For PRECICE

This Price is valid through 2013.. It will be updated soon after move to Severance hospital (affiliated with Yonsei University) in May 2014.

LON = $40,000
LATN = $46,000
PRECICE (Femur) = $64,000
PRECICE (Tibia) = $65,000
Nail Removal = $5,000

Surcharge Longer Stay = $200 Per Day
Refund Early Discharge = $100 Per Day

- Single and Special Single Room available at higher rates.

Contact

Website: http://www.drdonghoon.com/http://www.bowlegsknockkneesleglengthening.org/

Email:  assistdong@naver.com & orthopaedee@naver.com
Bundang CHA Hospital Address : 351, Yatap-dong, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea (Zip Code: 463-712)
Bundang CHA Hospital Central Reservation Number : (+82) 1577-4488
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:33:27 PM by Admin »

BilateralDamage

Re: Dr Donghoon Lee (Gyeonggi-do, South Korea) Bundang CHA Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

This doctor will be changing his pricing soon.  I talked with his assistant, and it's most likely the prices will increase.  He recently posted this on his website:

"Hello to all of my cafe members!

A few months ago, I received an offer from Severance hospital (affiliated with Yonsei University) and after giving it much thought and consideration, I have finally decided to accept the position as an Orthopedic Surgeon at Severance.

I understand all of your concerns and worries, especially patients who have expressed a genuine desire to have an operation  with me early this year.

At the present moment, I do not have a clear idea of the operation costs at Severance hospital, but as soon as I receive word, I will promptly announce it. As always, I will try my best to reduce the costs as much as I possibly can.

As many of you know, Yonsei University is my alma mater and its hospital is also one of the leading medical institutions in South Korea.
Additionally, it is also a representative institute of limb lengthening in Korea.

As I begin my new post as a Limb Lengthening Professor at Severance, I will do my best to make Severance one of the leading hospitals for Limb Lengthening and Deformity correction in the world.

Above all else, I will be the only one in charge of limb lengthening surgeries at the Severance hospital, so I will certainly have increased responsibilities and a lot of expectations to live up to.

I will continue to do my best to provide an optimal experience for my patients and I sincerely ask for your continued support and constructive feedback."

heightG

• Visitor
Our Review On Dr. Donghoon Lee of Severance
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »

It seems that the old forum just yesterday updated their surgeon's list with Donghoon Lee with an interview with him.

We at Natural Height Growth did our own review on the surgeon. I have been living in Seoul, South Korea for the last year and within the last 2 months have been to the Severance Hospital affililiated with Yonsei at least half a dozen times for my GF's medical issues so I feel I am slightly more qualified to answer and review this particular surgeon than most others.

Refer to our post http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2014/01/16/review-orthopedic-surgeon-dr-dong-hoon-lee-limb-lengthening-surgery/

I am going to try to get in contact with Dr. Lee and see if he can come onto the Podcast for our website and answer some of our questions.

Adriano

Re: Our Review On Dr. Donghoon Lee of Severance
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »

Hi

Thanks for your post.

Whats is your observation on "knee pain rates" for patients who do LON and LATN in Dr Lee's patients?

I am starting to realise that Most, if not all, patients who do LL in India get Knee pain.

mediocre

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:54 PM »

Anybody knows if Dr Donghoon offers Precise 2?

heightG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:36 PM »

We are not sure about the rates of complications like knee pain.

Stadiometer

• Esquire "Esq."
Re: Dr Donghoon Lee- Severance Hospital Price List
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »

For more information on pricing and accommodation contact Dr. Donghoon Lee's personal assistant.

Name: Ga Young Han

Email: assistdong@naver.com

Severance Hospital Information:  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=236.msg3377#msg3377

amatan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

As expected, a huge price increase.  The surgery cost alone is what I paid for the surgery + 3 months accommodation in a single room in the hospital + foods + meds/any shots I needed/xrays/physical therapy. 
Did internal femurs using the PRECICE2 with Dr. Donghoon Lee in South Korea on December 27th, 2013, went from 5'7.5" to 5'9.6".  Will probably end up doing tibias in about a year with Dr. Birkholtz to get to 5'11".

BilateralDamage

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »

The pricing is insane now.  There's no PT unless you stay in the hospital longer than 7 days- which costs $560 a day.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »

Thanks for the update, Stadiometer.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

mediocre

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »

Wow, ticking him off now.

Classical

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »

Yes, this new pricing is pissing me off! I was seriously considering the Precise 2 nail with Dr. Lee, and even made an appointment to see him in April. But now, with the new pricing, it's no longer possible. I can't believe he raised his pricing this much just all of the sudden! This will seriously decreased the amount of international patients he gets. $560 hospital staying per day? That's INSANE!!! I told his assistant that with this crazy hospital charge, it puts Dr. Lee easily on the top list of the most expensive limb lengthening doctor in the world!!

Arche

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »

There's no reason for even his loyal domestic patients to go to him now? Why go to Dr. Lee when you can pay the same price and go to Paley, the doctor who trained Dr. Lee? Sorry if my post offends anyone, but I was considering Dr. Lee too and I'm just upset. I wonder if he is willing to operate in hospitals cheaper than Severence?

Also, maybe this is just "international" pricing, which makes me feel uneasy, because domestic patients don't pay as much. This makes me feel that domestics get preference as patients as well in terms of accommodations, attention from nurses and supporting doctors, medicine, etc. :(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:27:22 PM by Arche »

heightG

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 04:28:03 AM »

The thing is that there is two Severance hospitals in Seoul. I should know since I've been to one of those hospitals a dozen times just last month.

You have the Severance Hospital affiliated with Yonsei University that is located in the Yeoksam-Dong and Gangnam-Gu area of Seoul. That is the one I was at.

Then there is the one across the river, in the Northwest area. I am not familiar with that one.

However, those hospital stays are actually about $250 a day or 270,000 korean won. My GF had organ bleeding and she stayed for 4 days, costing about $650 total, including the emergency room.

You guys are getting screwed by him. Look into getting a Goshiwon or Officetel close by first to check the facilities.

paco1

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

you can stay in a hotel a i think. He told me they are thinking in guest house.

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »

this was a dissapointing news tbh..

so it will be dr.Birkholtz or guichet for me
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

paco1

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

Hi Kusop,
are you doing tibia or femur?
I was very interested in donghoo lee too but now his prices are too high.
I am thinking in new born hospital, Frank and doctor salameh. I will make the surgery this year and my goal is 5-5,5 in tibias
cheers

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »

Hi Kusop,
are you doing tibia or femur?
I was very interested in donghoo lee too but now his prices are too high.
I am thinking in new born hospital, Frank and doctor salameh. I will make the surgery this year and my goal is 5-5,5 in tibias
cheers

femur for now. tibs if I am still not satisfied with my body
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

paco1

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »

i received one message about the price and they are thinking in one guest house.

Stadiometer

• Esquire "Esq."
Re: Dr Donghoon Lee- 90 Day Hospital Stay All Inclusive Price
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »

Cooper

• If it was easy everyone would do it!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »

That is insane. Why go Korea and pay $114K? I received the quote as well from Mr. Han. It's CRAZY!
Starting Height: 160
Gained Femur: 6.9cm (Dr. Paley)
Right Tibia Goal: 5.5/6CM

TRS

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »

I was considering Dr.Lee as an option for my LON/LATN tibia's but now I will not bother! His price is ridiculously expensive :o I wonder if he's expecting foreign patients because at the given price it makes complete sense for the foreigner to go and have surgery with the guy who taught him CLL, Dr Paley. And it could even end up being cheaper!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:27:45 PM by TheRisingShorty »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

If you're in the States and have that kind of money then Dr Paley would be a more sensible choice. I cannot imagine they're charging Korean patients this much, and if they are then I think most would choose to stay at home for the duration of the process.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

paco1

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »

definitely eliminate

paco1

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »

i think new born hospital can be a very good options, and it is 35000+8000=43000 for LON with 90 days acomodations,food and physiotherapy

amatan

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

Based on Dr. Lee's level of skill and renown in this field, the fact that South Korea is a wealthy country, and that his new hospital is just about the most expensive hospital in the country, these prices are to be expected.  Additionally, the Korean government started issuing a 10% tax on cosmetic surgery starting in 2014 and the tax is included in his pricing. 

They charge Koreans and foreigners the same amount, at least they did at the old hospital.
Did internal femurs using the PRECICE2 with Dr. Donghoon Lee in South Korea on December 27th, 2013, went from 5'7.5" to 5'9.6".  Will probably end up doing tibias in about a year with Dr. Birkholtz to get to 5'11".

paco1

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »

hi Amatan,
you are lucky to have the surgery before,haha.
Good luck with you recovery.

JourneyToTheEast

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »

Any news on the guesthouse? I'll email his assistant and ask if no one knows.

tallerbetter

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »

OMG So expensive... is it worth it? are there some diaries of patients?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:48 AM »

OMG So expensive... is it worth it? are there some diaries of patients?

Lol not at all. If you have that kind of cash, go with Dr. Paley. You could honestly go with Paley for $20,000 less total cost.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

srimech123

• Hi, nice to meet you!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »

I thought the $90000 was for 2 surgeries, as it says on the post above, first and second surgery. I am a bit confused. I was considering South Korea if I were to do my femurs
173cm (5'8") tall at the moment, hoping to be at least 180cm (5'11") tall quite soon (or 6'1" at most).   Saving money for my first LL surgery!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up