Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: femur lengthening for small bones  (Read 4289 times)

JP

femur lengthening for small bones
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

Hello everyone

Sorry, English is my second language. :)

I’m confused about what method is best for my situation.
I have small bones I feel that regardless of what I choose I will have serious complications. If I get internal I feel my bones will be jammed I think my bone canal is too small. If get external my knee and hips will be damage because it’s external.

Whoever is reading this please help me

If I get femur lengthening ONLY 4.5cm with external-monorail over nail  is this safe?
How long until I can bend my knee 100 percent after I remove the device?
What is the smallest internal method?
 Will i have knee damage as a result of internal lengthening?

Dr. Betz:
Are there any medical conditions that would prevent a potential patient from being accepted?

Special anatomic situation (bone canal is too small or too short for the internal device) In this case LON (lengthening over nail) can be applied. This is a rare problem as Prof. Dr. Betz uses different size implants to fit each individual patient.

Thank you

Doflamingo

Re: femur lengthening for small bones
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »

Go Guichet, train with him and he'll give you the best solution.

Sweden

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »

Exactly. Go with Guichet.

Don't do monorails!!
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 02:47:35 AM »

Get an x-ray with a rule on it so doctors can see how big the canals in your femurs are.  Only a doctor should advise you about this.  Guichet has an excellent reputation but if his nails are too big for you, then they're too big for you, and you might have no choice but to do external.

Knee/hip damage wouldn't have anything to do with whether you go with external or internal.  Most of the risk of joint problems from LL are about how the joints line up after surgery.

BilateralDamage

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:08 AM »

My femur canals are around 8.5 mm and are too small for basically any internals (including PRECICE) so they'll most likely have to be reamed wider (up to around 12.5 mm).  I believe this is a pretty common practice in LL so you don't have too much to worry about it.  I'm talking with Dr. Birkholtz about my options right now.

Metanoia

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »

Dr. Betz:
Are there any medical conditions that would prevent a potential patient from being accepted?

Special anatomic situation (bone canal is too small or too short for the internal device) In this case LON (lengthening over nail) can be applied. This is a rare problem as Prof. Dr. Betz uses different size implants to fit each individual patient.

Thank you

Hi,

Dr. Betz never refuses a patient. Your money is as good as anybody elses and that's the only thing
he is interested in. He might make you a cripple in the process, but that is a risk you need to be willing
to take if you go to Dr.Betz.
If your bones are to small to fit internal nails, you might consider the simple ilizarov method.
Pages: [1]   Go Up