Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences between doctors? (And a couple general questions)  (Read 315 times)

Zygomatic

• Visitor

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading up on limb lengthening quite a lot for the past year or so and this forum has provided some great information. I’ve recently decided on pursuing the surgery, but I’m unsure of a few things I’m hoping I can get cleared up.

What’re the main differences between doctors in the USA that provide the STRYDE nail? I’m in the LA area and I’ve heard some great things about Dr. Mahboubian, but of course Dr. Paley is the most prominent surgeon. Would it be worth me traveling and staying in Florida for femur lengthening or would staying local be better?

Also the big topic that I can’t seem to get a definitive answer on is how much athletic ability can be expected after a full recovery? I’m a fairly active and young person (20 years old), would I still be able to snowboard, play soccer, and run? I understand it may never be 100%, but how much impact should I expect in a 6-7cm femur increase? I’ve measured my femur to tibia ratio and it’ll be in normal range after the lengthening so my main worry would be soft tissue and not so much the bone size.

And lastly, this is mostly unimportant compared to everything else included in the surgery but is the Foley catheter necessary? I’ve seen some surgeons choose to do general anesthesia over spinal epidural. If it’s general anesthesia wouldn’t I be able to pee just fine after waking up?

wannagrowtaller

Re: Differences between doctors? (And a couple general questions)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »

If I could do it locally with stryde, I would.
Go for it
Pages: [1]   Go Up