Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: One Step Closer - External tibias, femurs, humerus - Petersburg, Russia  (Read 93246 times)

Overdozer

Hey guys! So I just removed the external frame from my left femur, tibia frame was removed like a month age. So far I've lengthened 7.5 cm both on my tibia and femur. I currently have a very light ballerina - my feet don't go past 90 degrees when standing, but when sitting they're ok. Also I can't bend my knee on my femur leg past 140 degrees (straight knee is 180 degrees, so I currently have 40 degrees of ROM). I'll be working on it actively next months and will update on progress. In 2 months I plan to restore my knee ROM to 100% and go for the second surgery on my left tibia and right femur. After that I'll be lengthening my humers. Or actually... I may lengthen them when I'm done with distraction phase, if my Dr. allows me to, as I want to save some time. If not, I'll just do it after removing all the frames - will be much easier, considering I'll have my legs functional, but that will require additional 4 months. We'll see.

Yea, I'm bad at writing diaries, so ask me your questions, if you will.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

pablo1989

• Visitor
Re: One Step Closer - External tibias, femurs, humerus - Petersburg, Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »

Hi exclide!
I am newbie. My english also isn't very well, but i will try to pose some question:
- You wrote that you have had 2 lenghtenings. One on tibia and one on femur. Does it mean that you had cross-lengtening? Could you explain what does it mean?
- How long does it take lengthen tibia for 7,5 cm?
- Is it possible to lengthen legs at home after surgery and then come back to a hospital to remove frames?
- After what period of time frames are removed? Full consolidation is needed?
- Is it possible to exercise upper body during lengthening?
- Could you work during lengthening (for instance as a freelancer) or is it not preferable because it may have bad impact on consolidation
- Did you experience some difficulties during lengthening?
- How is your health? How do you feel after surgery and before another?
- What was your original height?
- How old are you? Does age have significant influence on recovery time?
- Are you Russian?
- Is Dr Soliman a nice and trustworthy person? Is he a good expert at his field? Would you recommed him to others people wanting to undertake a surgery?

Sorry for my excess curiosity but as i wrote i am a newbie and don't know much about overall procedure of leg lengthening.
Take care,
zysq1989

Overdozer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:37:55 AM »

Hi!
- You wrote that you have had 2 lenghtenings. One on tibia and one on femur. Does it mean that you had cross-lengtening? Could you explain what does it mean?
Yes, it's called cross-lateral lengthening. It's done due to big external frames on the femur being really uncomfortable. So instead of doing 2x femur at the same time, they do tibia-femur and then repeat. It's more comfortable this way.

How long does it take lengthen tibia for 7,5 cm?
After what period of time frames are removed? Full consolidation is needed?
Usually 3 months for distraction phase and another 6 for consolidation. So 9 months total. If everything goes good.

- Is it possible to lengthen legs at home after surgery and then come back to a hospital to remove frames?
Yes. However, you'll need to take x-rays so the Dr. can monitor the proccess, your healing rate, misaligment, pin stability... X-rays are usually taken every 10-14 days.

- Is it possible to exercise upper body during lengthening?
It's possible, but no one really feels like to. Plus, if you exercise solely your upper body, your legs will look really tiny compared to it.

- Could you work during lengthening (for instance as a freelancer) or is it not preferable because it may have bad impact on consolidation
You can work. No impact on consolidation.

- Did you experience some difficulties during lengthening?
My back hurt really bad at the side of the femur external for like 2 months. Idk why, but it vanished.

- How is your health? How do you feel after surgery and before another?
- What was your original height?
- How old are you? Does age have significant influence on recovery time?
I feel the same overall. My original height was 167 cm and I'm 22. Yes, the younger you are the faster your bones heal and your muscles/tissues recover.

- Are you Russian?
- Is Dr Soliman a nice and trustworthy person? Is he a good expert at his field? Would you recommed him to others people wanting to undertake a surgery?
Yes and yes. Well, not sure about him being 'nice', as I didn't get to speak with him, but he is very experienced, from what I've gathered. He works closely with my Dr.

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

pablo1989

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:02 AM »

I have another set of questions :)
-Is it possible to walk after consolidation phase without crutches?
-Are frames removed after distraction phase or consolidation phase?
-Are x-rays taken during distraction phase or both distraction and consolidation?
-How much does it cost (surgery+accomodation)? Are hostels in St. Petersburg expensive?

And one more thing. I am from Poland. How is the attidude of Russians toward Polish people? I know our governments don't like each other, but what about ordinary people? I hate politics and i hope normal people in Russia too.

Thanks for all your resposnses.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »

So you went from 167 to 182CM?

That's a huge gain, why did you choose to do so much?

Will you be lengthening your arms as well?

Any chance you might post a few pictures and videos to show off how your recovery is going and how it looks with that much height gained?

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »

So you went from 167 to 182CM?

That's a huge gain, why did you choose to do so much?

Will you be lengthening your arms as well?

Any chance you might post a few pictures and videos to show off how your recovery is going and how it looks with that much height gained?
I'm done with the first stage. I still have one more lengthening stage on my other tibia and femur, that should be in around 2 months. Like it states in the thread title, yes, I'll be lengthening my humerus. I'll post pictures when I'm done with everything, which won't be any time soon. Maybe.

Overdozer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »

-Is it possible to walk after consolidation phase without crutches?
-Are frames removed after distraction phase or consolidation phase?
Yes it's possible. In fact you can walk without crutches right after the surgery. Though it's not recommended. While the external frames are usually much more weight bearing than internal devices, pins still can bend and break under pressure.

Frames are removed after consolidation phase of course, if you remove them after distraction phase, your newly formed 'bone' will simply break. That is of course if you don't choose to do LON (lengthening over nail).
-Are x-rays taken during distraction phase or both distraction and consolidation?
-How much does it cost (surgery+accomodation)? Are hostels in St. Petersburg expensive?
They're taken every 10 days during distraction phase and then like every month or two during consolidation.

It cost me about 2000$ for the surgery, external frames and 2 weeks hospital stay included. That was before the ruble drop though. I don't think you'll find anything expensive here especially considering our currency situation.
How is the attidude of Russians toward Polish people? I know our governments don't like each other, but what about ordinary people? I hate politics and i hope normal people in Russia too.
They don't care at all.

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »

I'm done with the first stage. I still have one more lengthening stage on my other tibia and femur, that should be in around 2 months. Like it states in the thread title, yes, I'll be lengthening my humerus. I'll post pictures when I'm done with everything, which won't be any time soon. Maybe.

Good luck man.

Please do an arm lengthening diary, we are crucially short on those -yours will be the first on this forum.

Overdozer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »

Good luck man.

Please do an arm lengthening diary, we are crucially short on those -yours will be the first on this forum.
Yeah it'll be there eventually. I don't think there's anything special about arm lengthening though, from what I've gathered it looks like humerus is the easiest bone to lengthen. And it makes sense - you don't need walking aids, your legs are functional, you can use your arms for usual tasks they don't require weight bearing. The only reason I feel a little bitter about doing it is the additional down time. I don't plan lengthening more than 3.5 cm on my humerus though, so it shouldn't take more than 4 months.

Disobedient

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

Wow, this is something!!..
so you lengthened 15cm at total (ah that was my initial goal :-\, I wish I had stick to it)
anyway so they removed your frame after 9 months , you're REALLY REALLY really lucky to have such a fast consolidation..

knee bending .. hmm after removing the frame 40 is fine. I think I was around that when I removed the frame too ( I assume when you said 40 you mean in sitting position , when you lying in your tummy and bending your knee it will be less)..
but regain full rom in two months , man this is optimistic .. I wish you would make it. just don't be hard in yourself if you'll achieve (80-90) this is more than ok at this stage ..

did u have any complications beside knee bending problem . like duckass, knock knee probably ? and how is your femur  alignment btw?

if you have x-ray or pictures plz share it with us if you can.

Disobedient

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »

ah yeah for knee bending you could use CPM. it would help you to accomplish 65deg in short time, everyday you could gain around 2-5 deg. after 65deg I think there is no need to use it.
there is this release machine too which can help your muscle around the knee to relax so you can bend it easily ..

Overdozer

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 03:19:15 AM »

Wow, this is something!!..
so you lengthened 15cm at tota
Not yet, I'm only done with the first stage, so I lengthened 7.5 cm. I need to fix my knee bending now so I can go for the second surgery. I'm very optimistic about regaining knee ROM, because I'm also very determined. I'm now waiting for the pin wounds to heal, so I can start working on it HARD. I'll probably regain it even earlier, mark my words :P

I didn't have duckass, as I was walking from the first day of the surgery. Knock knee you mean x-legs? No, neither that. I had a misaligment problem during the lengthening on my femur but it was corrected at that time, my last x-rays show perfectly straight bone. I'll upload them tomorrow

The CPM machine seems very good, thanks. Though I'm afraid I'll have a very hard time finding it here in Russia lol. I'll probably have to stick with soviet-methods of just hanging weights on my feet.

Disobedient

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »

I'll probably regain it even earlier, mark my words :P

note it down , I'll be checking in you seeing the progress you made so far ..
maybe you could share the routine exercises you do/will do to regain your knee rom when you have some time.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

Hey exclide!
Die you do your surgery with Dr. Solomin (I am assuming it because you are doing it in St. Petersburg)?
I am planning to get either my femurs or tibias done by him this summer. Would you recommend him and how is your impression so far?
Greetings!

just_me

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »

Hey Exclide, Do you know if Doctor Solomon and the hospital make a invitation for international patient for visa application process?

Overdozer

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »

My doctor is Dr. Kulesh. Him and Dr. Solomin are in the same team. Can't comment much on Dr. Solomin, sorry, all I know is that he's very experienced in his field.

I'm not sure if they send invitations, I'm a local myself.

tikal

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52:06 AM »

wat is the cost of surgery for 7cm? i do not understand about cost of surgery
wich city of Russia the hospital locate?
can u give me the email of ur doctor or hospital?

Overdozer

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »

wat is the cost of surgery for 7cm? i do not understand about cost of surgery
wich city of Russia the hospital locate?
can u give me the email of ur doctor or hospital?
I don't think my doctor works with international patients, but you can contact Dr. Solomin: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=844.0 They're working closely together from what I've seen. The surgery cost me around 4000$ without staying costs and it was around 70$/day if you wanted to stay at the hospital, but you don't have to. That was before the ruble drop. Also, keep in mind that I'm from Russia myself, they might and probably have different prices for international patients.

And the city is Saint Petersburg.

Here's an x-ray from the last lengthening day, sry can't find the other version it's such a mess, I have like 200 x-rays.

Dingo

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

Hi exclide, thanks for enlightening us on Dr Solomin and his hospital.

I was wondering if you know the prices in rubles separately for the procedure and for the stay, since it would be better to convert directly now that the ruble is so low. Something like:

Surgery only for externals including devices = ... rubles

Surgery only for LON including devices = ... rubles

Stay in a single bedroom per day = 2200 rubles (i think you've already answered this one before)

Stay in a multi-bed ward per day = ... rubles

Also, how many wire rings (levels) does the external device for tibias have? I mean, does the external device pierce your skin only near the knee and the ankle (2 levels) or also in the middle of the tibia (3 levels)? Are there any pictures of the device he uses for tibias? Is it like an hexapod?

Another thing, is the fibula fixed by the device itself or do you have an extra screw holding it in place?

Could you post a picture of one of your tibia x-rays? I'd really like to see the alignment of the fibula, since this is very important for me.

Thanks.

Overdozer

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »

The surgery cost was 140000 rubles with 2 weeks hospital stay included. After that if you wanted to stay, you had to pay 2200 every day for a single bedroom. I didn't do LON, as I insisted on pure external, so I can't know the price. Not sure about multibed either. But all those prices they don't mean anything now I'm afraid, I've already heard they're increased for locals, and they will most likely charge international patients even more, idk. Your best bet would be contacting Dr. Solomin and asking him.

They use classic Ilizarov externals, no hexapod, it had 3 levels, the only modification was in the inside-bone elements that they use aren't just wires or pins, but rather mostly bolts.

I'm pretty sure they fixate fibula with the device (I think they use wires/pins for the fibula and thicker bolts for the tibia itself, not sure). I actually didn't have any pins at all on my femur external, only bolts. I'll try to find some x-rays.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

can u help me to ask if he can install a nail for me? i have already done ex-tibia in russia.. thanks. how much does it cost

Overdozer

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

can u help me to ask if he can install a nail for me? i have already done ex-tibia in russia.. thanks. how much does it cost
Just mail Dr. Solomin, he should answer. Btw, I don't advice nails in your tibias unless your consolidation is bad.

Disobedient

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »

hi ..

how you doing with knee rom so far .. you reached 60 deg yet?

Overdozer

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »

hi ..

how you doing with knee rom so far .. you reached 60 deg yet?
Well... I definitely gained like 10-15 degrees, but the progression seems too slow for me. My main limitation is that I don't find myself doing the stretches more than 4 hours a day. What I do is just sit on a bed, hang my leg and push it with my other leg. I ordered this item from the states:

It's a splint which utilizes low-load passive stretch. I plan to wear it 24/7 to regain full ROM fast.

A nice study:
http://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult.php?img=3435906_10.1177_1941738111424124-fig3&req=4

(I changed my order to the static-progressive stretch device after reading it)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:34:11 PM by exclide »

Alittletooshort

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »

How do the frames look? Are they rather bulky or can they be hidden below your trousers?

Overdozer

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »

How do the frames look? Are they rather bulky or can they be hidden below your trousers?
They're full-ring Ilizarov frames. Depends on the ring diameter. If you ask them during consultation that you want thinner frames, they will install them. But they have their reasons not to. In most of the cases, you can hide them under your trousers if your trousers are size XXXXL.

Sweden

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »

Could you post some pictures?
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

tikal

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »

i agree with Sweden pls share some pic or clips

Overdozer

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

I'm only done with the first lengthening phase. I'll post some pictures when I'm done with the second phase, hopefully I'll have my surgery in two months.

By the way, I still didn't reach 90 degrees knee flexion. Waiting on my knee splint to arrive.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 03:45:20 AM »

I'm only done with the first lengthening phase. I'll post some pictures when I'm done with the second phase, hopefully I'll have my surgery in two months.

By the way, I still didn't reach 90 degrees knee flexion. Waiting on my knee splint to arrive.

Why do you want to reach 90 degrees? The thing is to make sure your legs are totally straight. (Horizontal). You want 0 degrees knee flexion.

My knee ROM is complete (0-160 degrees)

Overdozer

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »

I'm at 120 degrees knee ROM currently. I derped when I said I could regain full ROM in just a month. Going steady though, should be able to get another 30-40 degrees in the next month, then I can get my almost-final surgery.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up