Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 9cm in femur too much?  (Read 1427 times)

shortasiandude

• Visitor
Is 9cm in femur too much?
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »

Going to Betz or Paley ina few years after I've worked. I make roughly 25k a year after taxes in a   job, still living with my parents and 16 year old atm almost 17.
Is 9cm too much in the femur? Want to hear from some veterans and people who actually did lengthen that much!

Astronomy

Re: Is 9cm in femur too much?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »

Yes.Even Paley,for safety,he advices twice lengthening only to reach 8cm.
So 9cm is too much

GrowTow

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »

Yes it is too much.

Then again there are people who have done that much and have been okay. Just depends how much of a risk you want to take.

I wouldn't risk anything over 6cm if you want to be safe or nothing over 7.5cm if you want to take a risk.
May 2023: Completed 5.3cm LON Tibia w AFA 164>169
Upcoming LON Femur in October 2023

TheMagicalBlueEye

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »

Yes it is too much.

Then again there are people who have done that much and have been okay. Just depends how much of a risk you want to take.

I wouldn't risk anything over 6cm if you want to be safe or nothing over 7.5cm if you want to take a risk.

Doesn't it all depend on how tall a given person is before CLL? 9 cm is a much smaller fraction of overall length of for example, a 170 cm person than 150cm one.
Diligence is the mother of good luck

Apparition

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »

Doesn't it all depend on how tall a given person is before CLL? 9 cm is a much smaller fraction of overall length of for example, a 170 cm person than 150cm one.

The currently accepted common safe limit is +8cm femur and +5cm tibia. I don't know how much of that is skewed towards the tallest patients, but the top doctors use those numbers as the lengths they can do on everyone or at least a majority of patients, instead of only the tallest ones.
Starting height: 169cm / 5'7"

Goal height: 182cm / almost 6'0"

GrowTow

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »

You'll need 60cm/27inch femurs for 9cm to be considered relatively safe which would mean you're giant

TheMagicalBlueEye

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »

You'll need 60cm/27inch femurs for 9cm to be considered relatively safe which would mean you're giant

Thanks! I wonder if someone created a graph/table showing most common lengthening values for a given height/femur length?

GrowTow

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »

Thanks! I wonder if someone created a graph/table showing most common lengthening values for a given height/femur length?

15% of the bone length is what you need to know

So if your femurs are 45cm then you can do 6.5cm with safety etc

StrangeDays67

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »

Not only is it too much, but it would look terrible. Your femurs would be out of proportion.

otavio

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »

In the market there is only Guichet nails that support up to 12cm, but I dont know if is safe or not to go so far in the lengthening

TheMagicalBlueEye

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 05:48:09 PM »

15% of the bone length is what you need to know

So if your femurs are 45cm then you can do 6.5cm with safety etc

So how one could measure it? Is it possible to do so without x-rays? I measured my tights while sitting and I wonder what percentage of it is a length of femur.

GrowTow

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »

So how one could measure it? Is it possible to do so without x-rays? I measured my tights while sitting and I wonder what percentage of it is a length of femur.

An x-ray is the only accurate way to do it but you can measure from the middle of your thigh (hip level) to the top of your knee bone.

It'll be 1-2 inches off but it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Then just work out 15% of the length

California2

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Most practitioners consider 10% quite safe.  After 10%, the risks increase.  Whether you are susceptible to those risks and/or how much you should lengthen involves many conversations between you and your surgeon and much "waiting and seeing" to see how things go during the process. 

I lengthened almost 25% with no adverse effects; however, I did not do so lightly.  Doing so involved a millimeter by millimeter assessment.  Notwithstanding the above, most people seem to be able to get 15% if they want it and are willing to work for it.

To roughly measure your femoral length, sit in a chair.  Press against you hip to locate your femoral head (a ball of bone that usually hurts if you lay on your side on a hard surface).  Put one end of a tape measure at the top of your femoral head. 

Measure down the side of your leg to the bottom of your femur.  Unless you are really fat, you should be able to feel a rounded bone end on the side of you leg right about where you can see the top of your kneecap.  Calculate 10% of that length for safe lengthening.

Ghostfish

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 12:13:02 AM »

Going to Betz or Paley ina few years after I've worked. I make roughly 25k a year after taxes in a   job, still living with my parents and 16 year old atm almost 17.
Is 9cm too much in the femur? Want to hear from some veterans and people who actually did lengthen that much!
Hi shortasiandude

9cm is generally considered "TOO MUCH" no matter how tall you are.  Because of this definition, Precice and Stryde nails increase only 8 cm.  There is no way you can go beyond 8cm if you use Precice and Stryde.  I do not know limit of increase for other nails such as fitbone, G nail, Betz nail, and so on.  However, I strongly recommend you NOT to consider more than 8 cm for femurs.

Good luck!

TheMagicalBlueEye

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »

Hi shortasiandude

9cm is generally considered "TOO MUCH" no matter how tall you are.  Because of this definition, Precice and Stryde nails increase only 8 cm.  There is no way you can go beyond 8cm if you use Precice and Stryde.  I do not know limit of increase for other nails such as fitbone, G nail, Betz nail, and so on.  However, I strongly recommend you NOT to consider more than 8 cm for femurs.

Good luck!

That sounds reasonable because there's a lot of nerves and tendons in tights that could be damaged. Generally lengthening femurs must more painful than tibias because of it, right?

Also: Is 5cm femur lengthening (internal nail) agonizingly painful or could it be conveniently handled? (without tons of addictive painkillers)

Apparition

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »

I lengthened almost 25% with no adverse effects; however, I did not do so lightly.  Doing so involved a millimeter by millimeter assessment.  Notwithstanding the above, most people seem to be able to get 15% if they want it and are willing to work for it.

What are your starting height and current height?
Starting height: 169cm / 5'7"

Goal height: 182cm / almost 6'0"
Pages: [1]   Go Up