Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I YOLO combined humerus and forearm lengthening?  (Read 2947 times)

Overdozer

Should I YOLO combined humerus and forearm lengthening?
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:634WHJ_sFJkJ:www.boneandjoint.org.uk/highwire/filestream/17724/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/1550.full.pdf+&cd=11&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ru
In forearm lengthening, complications are usually transient and do not affect outcome. Injury to the neurovascular structures could be a potential problem, as there are few completely safe anatomical planes for wire insertion and many patients have abnormal anatomy. The risk can be minimised by semi-open insertion techniques, particularly
for the radius. Delayed consolidation is a feature in most forearm lengthening series. Neocorticalisation is relatively
slow, and premature removal of the apparatus can lead to deformity or post-removal fracture of the regenerate. Even
though the arm is not a weight-bearing limb, a period of protection is usually necessary after removal, especially in
cases with a high percentage of lengthening or significantly tight soft tissues.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12570-013-0161-y#page-1
Conclusions: Lengthening of short forearm is functionally, cosmetically, and psychologically beneficial. The Ilizarov method is a reliable, successful, and safe method, and it is the gold standard to treat forearm length discrepancy and deformity problems preserving a satisfactory function of upper limb during treatment.
http://www.oalib.com/paper/1303611#.VONo5y6smvo
The average healing index was 40 days/cm. There were no neurovascular problems. Complications included pin tract infections in all cases, fracture of the regenerated bone in one case, breakage of a half pin in one case and increased carpal subluxation in another case. Combination of Ilizarov method and hybrid fixation provides a relatively safe method of forearm lengthening with possibility of deformity correction and gradual reduction of chronic dislocations.

My doctor actually got his Ph.D. with dissertations about forearm combined external fixation (half-pins and wires). Albeit most cases are traumatological and I don't think he ever lengthened forearms for cosmetic reasons. He did howerer lengthen after post-injury forearm shortening.

Now I'm rushing things because I still have one surgery on my legs to do. But what do you think? I don't believe that forearm lengthening is as dangerous as people here claim, seeing that most of the cases are successful. And do I care?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Shor7Guy

Re: Should I YOLO combined humerus and forearm lengthening?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »

DO IT. YOLO. But srs, if you dont recognise unlike the myth spouted here that arm length is split between humerus and forearm and taller people have both longer, not just humerus.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »

Seriously? I think many docs say, don't lengthen forearm. Even as a basketball player I would not. The most I would go for is humerus but even that, is crazy. You might risk losing arm function, so I advise doing one arm at a time. (just in case). And not more than 2-3 cm so the other arm can almost certainly reach 2-3 cm without having soft tissue issues

ReadRothbard

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:33 AM »

Seriously? I think many docs say, don't lengthen forearm. Even as a basketball player I would not. The most I would go for is humerus but even that, is crazy. You might risk losing arm function, so I advise doing one arm at a time. (just in case). And not more than 2-3 cm so the other arm can almost certainly reach 2-3 cm without having soft tissue issues

YOLO 10 cm per arm segment to have 16 inch longer wingspan
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:29 AM »

DO IT. YOLO. But srs, if you dont recognise unlike the myth spouted here that arm length is split between humerus and forearm and taller people have both longer, not just humerus.

There's also tall people with long forearms, so yes it is a myth.

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »

YOLO 10 cm per arm segment to have 16 inch longer wingspan
Well... I wanted to do just 3 in every segment which would put me at 182 arm span. Idk, I'll have to ask my dr about it. I'm pretty sure he'd agree on humerus lengthening, but forearm and combined - hmm...
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up