Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone got premature consolidation at 0.5 mm/day or faster?  (Read 2823 times)

ItsMyLife

Has anyone got premature consolidation at 0.5 mm/day or faster?
« on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:21 AM »

I might get premature consolidation according to my doctor if I do 0.5mm/day. He says I shd do alternately 0.5 and 0.75 to play safe as my bone bridge is forming fast (this was after a week of slowing down to 0.5)

Pls let me know (even it is hearsay) if you have read of other patients who had this problem or, you had this problem. Thanks!

ForcedPuberty

Re: Has anyone got premature consolidation at 0.5 mm/day or faster?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »

I don't know the answer to this question but I am in the same situation where I want to stay at 0.5mm per day and worry about whether premature consolidation is a problem.

all I know is that other patients have warned me about fibula premature consolidation. but have told me there is no chance of tibia premature consolidation after the initial stages of surgery in the lengthening phase. I don't know what is true. its just what iv been told. I don't have any issues with the fibula showing massive callous growth though. it would be nice if I can just stay at 0.5mm because the soft tissue love this speed, at least in my case they do.

if you cant find an answer it goes without saying to follow your doctors advice on this issue.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »

problem is , my local surgeon saw my latest x-rays where there was speed-up in consolidation due to my slower lengthening rate (in part)... he says I should do at least 0.5/0.75 alternately. 0.5 might be risky.

dr fahri however, who did my operation, saw my outdated x-rays (2 weeks earlier) because I didn't request for a soft copy of the latest x-ray from the hospital. based on dr fahri's reading of the slightly-outdated X-rays, he says: do 0.5.

dr fahri strongly believes I should do 0.5. He says the ideal lengthening rate is 0.66mm.day. he allows me to do 0,75 and 0.5 altnerately but says, 0.5 is better.

dr bagirov however, did not prefer 0.5, or 0.5/0.75. he seems to think both are equally fine.

the curious thing about my frames, are that theoretically 3 turns = 0.75. IN TRUTH, however, each time I turn 0.75, the device probably turns less. why? my excel spreadsheet is always 5 mm ahead! this means the actual gain in length is LESS.

if you actually listen to your body (and I do, turning slower or faster depending on pain), then you WILL FIND that your actual lengthening rate averages (at least in my case it did) at about 0.66 mm/day.

my worry is that a theoretical 0.5 mm/day on paper is actually like 0.4mm/day, might end up with premature consolidation

then again, I must say it is insane to do 0.75mm./day once your soft tissues are stretched out. I did that rate for 5 days and my archilles and knee got much worse. I slowed to 0.5 for one week, and everything recovered.

0.5/0.75 is manageable so I might do that. if I encounter severe soft tissue issues, I will have to discuss more seriously with both surgeons whether 0.5 would be fine.

Im very happy that I have already gained 4.5 cm. If I prematurely consolidate at 5-6 cm, I have no intention to go back to the surgery room.

Overdozer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »

Just lengthen faster, dude. There are no real reasons to lengthen at such a slow rate (0.5mm/day). You'll get ankle contracture at some point anyways it doesn't matter if you lengthen at 0.10mm or 1 mm, as long as do don't go over 1.5 mm you'll be fine. All the benefits of a slower rate are theoretical. You're just losing your time. If you were lengthening at 1mm/day, you'd be long time done.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »

All the benefits of a slower rate are theoretical

pain is theoretical then. I guess your argument now becomes most arguments about the benefits of a slower rate are theoretical.

also its theoretical that your body creates pain because of stress.

and its theoretical that greater levels of stress are created by the body because of greater magnitudes of damage.

------------

go do homework. why does the body have a stress response. what is its biological function.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

go do homework. why does the body have a stress response. what is its biological function.
Long time no see, xGROWtalORdieTRYINGx.

If you want to prove me that lengthening at a slower rate has benefits over lengthening at a standard (1mm/day) rate, then you'll need to show me actual data from scientific papers.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

I don't care to argue anything with you.

I grow weary of trying to teach you or anyone else anything.

my statement was that faster rates increase pain.

and therefore according to you by implication:

also its theoretical that your body creates pain because of stress.

and its theoretical that greater levels of stress are created by the body because of greater magnitudes of damage.

I plead no contest to this. because I don't care what you believe. instead I am focusing on the common ground of what we both know to be true. faster lengthening equals more pain.

anything else is unimportant because I already predict that you cant be taught. as for what in the world the extra pain means, you can work that out yourself. I plead no contest to what it means. I just posted what your implication dictates you are stating. and that is that the quote from my previous statement become theoretical.

also its theoretical(according to you) that your body creates pain because of stress.

and its theoretical(according to you) that greater levels of stress are created by the body because of greater magnitudes of damage.
quote]
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »

It is insane to do 1mm/day especially when I close to 5 cm mark.1. I need to walk. If I do not walk, I cannot work. Anecdotally when I speed up, pain and soft tissue issues arise, with great speed (often within one week).
2. I am past the initial weeks when I can do 1 mm/day because my tissue now is more stretched already
3. My doctor's recommendations (in fact both doctors) and my home ortho's recommendation do not include speeding up to 1 mm/day. In fact, my doctor vehemently recommends against 1 mm/day. There must be sound reason for this. Clinical experience and/or data. He says it is very bad for the joints and soft tissues.

I think I will do 0.5/0.75 alternate days, with breaks of 0.5/day if there are soft tissue issues. This would ensure I am above the (actual) distraction rate of 0.5mm/day which is supposedly the minimum according to Fahri to ward off premature consolidation. He says I MUST do at least 0.5 mm/day.

Cowboy99

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »

Hi,how are you doing? I need your suggestion. I am going to have limb lengthening surgery from Dr.Fahri.I saw some of your comments and made sure that you had this surgery once by Doctor Fahri.So how are you feeling isn't there any side effects or any disabilities?It would be much easier if you message me through Whatsapp.please my number +998977384797
Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up