Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Supplements for speeding up recovery?  (Read 20641 times)

ItsMyLife

Supplements for speeding up recovery?
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »

Pls post your supplements so we can research each others' and hopefully come up a dream programme!
Here's what I am taking, and my bone growth is quite shocking, Radiographically my callus is same as someone at the 6 month mark and I am now only 3 month post-op:

Vitamin E
Silica
Multivitamin (centrum)
Alpha lipoic acid
Bone strength from Now Foods
Super Omega 3-6-9
Zinc
Bromelain
Calcium Hydroxyapetite
Bromelain
L-Lysine
Vitamin C
Some cow distillate from my doctor (Solcoseryl)
Colostrum

Puertoricanwasp123

Re: Supplements for speeding up recovery?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:37:24 AM »

My plan is to have:

1. Ensure bottle the protein version(full of vitamins).
2. at least one glass of x brand of body building milkshake(they are avitamin powerhouse just read the labels).
3. Vegan Smart shake.
4. Omega from 3 to 9.
5. Random dinner.
6. Protein cereal bar.

I suffer from severe hunger so I indeed need to eat 6 times. I think overloading your system with pills can be a bad move so I will most likely buy natural stuff from health foods and if anyone knows the most important single supplement for bone regeneration let me know.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »

My plan is to have:

1. Ensure bottle the protein version(full of vitamins).
2. at least one glass of x brand of body building milkshake(they are avitamin powerhouse just read the labels).
3. Vegan Smart shake.
4. Omega from 3 to 9.
5. Random dinner.
6. Protein cereal bar.

I suffer from severe hunger so I indeed need to eat 6 times. I think overloading your system with pills can be a bad move so I will most likely buy natural stuff from health foods and if anyone knows the most important single supplement for bone regeneration let me know.

That was my concern. But for short  periods I guess it is OK. It is like taking medicine.
I am eating 3000-6000 calories everyday of food and multiple snacks so I do not think I need more protein from protein shakes etc.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »

That was my concern. But for short  periods I guess it is OK. It is like taking medicine.
I am eating 3000-6000 calories everyday of food and multiple snacks so I do not think I need more protein from protein shakes etc.

6,000 calories? That's more than the generic 2,000 recommended for people of most heights. Does healing actually eat up the extra calories or are you storing them as fat?

ItsMyLife

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »

6,000 calories? That's more than the generic 2,000 recommended for people of most heights. Does healing actually eat up the extra calories or are you storing them as fat?

According to a website, yes, 6000 calories is needed for a single bone fracture. But I think its not true in my case as most of it went to my body as fat.

heightangel

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

6000 calories is crazy! But I suppose it depends on the person.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:43:08 AM »

6000 calories is crazy! But I suppose it depends on the person.

Yup check your weight regularly when LL. My BP And weight went up cause I ate 6000 calories a day. It was too much for me.

drewicz

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »

Do you guys takes the supplies when you clicking, or only after when you have consolidation?

microman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »

i call BS on ItsMyLife claiming to double the speed of bone healing time via supplements, if that was true everyone would finish LL a good 3 months earlier by taking pills, but no one has done that so yeah.

Kid_A

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »

if you eat 6.000 calories per day you will be fat like cow, because you sit all day in bad and that is too much calories even for persons who regulary go to gym.

Overdozer

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »

Cocaine.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »

Dr. Craig Robbins of the Paley Institute recommended the Bone Health Now supplements. Other than that, I've been taking collagen and a few other common supplements - Vitamin D and curcumin.

Check out the Best diet post-op thread.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Jubartt169

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »

Update:

Calcium
Calcium Hydroxyapetite
Vit D
Vit D3 (from sun - 15~20 min everyday between 10am to 14pm)
Colostrum
Both Vit K2 mk4 and Mk7
Kefir
Zinc
Iron
Folic acid
Copper
Phosphorus
Collagen
Silicon
Vit C
Quercitin
Flavonoids
Omega 3,7 and 9
Lysine, arginine and glutamine
Vit B complex
Potassium
Magnesium
Magnesium Dimalate
Coconut oil and MCT oil
Coenzyme q10

A LOT OF PROTEIN, make sure your protein doesn't convert into gluconeogenesis and becomes glucose. So Just exercise.

6k calories per day

Extra: Stem cells and Ibutamoren (MK-677)

cheekycabs

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »

Update:

Calcium
Calcium Hydroxyapetite
Vit D
Vit D3 (from sun - 15~20 min everyday between 10am to 14pm)
Colostrum
Both Vit K2 mk4 and Mk7
Kefir
Zinc
Iron
Folic acid
Copper
Phosphorus
Collagen
Silicon
Vit C
Quercitin
Flavonoids
Omega 3,7 and 9
Lysine, arginine and glutamine
Vit B complex
Potassium
Magnesium
Magnesium Dimalate
Coconut oil and MCT oil
Coenzyme q10

A LOT OF PROTEIN, make sure your protein doesn't convert into gluconeogenesis and becomes glucose. So Just exercise.

6k calories per day

Extra: Stem cells and Ibutamoren (MK-677)

A good chunk of overkill, but good if you have the money. I used to do something similar and was ingesting close to 30+ pills a day. The problem is that your gastrointestinal tract can be thrown off by this amount of vits/mins. You are better served to have a rock solid diet that includes a lot of meat, veg, eggs, kefir/yogurt, all cooked in coconut oil supplemented with BCAA loaded Whey Protein and a casein protein, and the cheapie vitamins A/B/C/D/E/K + Calcium. Almost the entire list is covered by that. It just takes discipline, save the money you'd be spending having neon yellow piss and get a nutritionist to put you into 2-3 weeks of habit-forming practices.

Aside from maybe collagen and silicon, which does help the inflammation process of bone growth, or at least theoretically, it's all been replaced.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:23:29 AM by cheekycabs »
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

cheekycabs

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »

Also, you will come away as a much healthier individual, and not a walking pharmacy. This is what I used to be ingesting on a daily.

External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Jubartt169

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »

Thank you cheeky for sharing us your experience :)

Siegfried

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »

How much Vitamin D3 is recommended after surgery until consolidation? The regular recommended daily dosage for normal people is 1000ie. Would it make sense to increase the dosage to 5000ie daily for the post op phase?

Same question for Calcium.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

Verumontanum

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 04:06:27 AM »

This is overkill.

Calories matter more than supplements.

If you're undereating, no amount of calcium/vitamin D is going to optimize bone regeneration.

Also, I wouldn't stack a bone supplement with a tertiary source of calcium hydroxyapatite

Mayday

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 01:02:51 PM »

Do you guys have an idea if stereoids or growth hormones has an any kind of effect on post op surgery??

TheGambitKing

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »

Do you guys have an idea if stereoids or growth hormones has an any kind of effect on post op surgery??
Yeah, steroids will help preserving the muscular mass and also getting back it post op (you will recover faster). Growth hormone helps too.

TheGambitKing

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 02:08:26 PM »

but take into account that roids have others side effects and others risk u probably dont desire to add

ilovescience

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:15 PM »

but take into account that roids have others side effects and others risk u probably dont desire to add

So growth hormone is the better way to go if one wants to recover as soon as possible?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »

So growth hormone is the better way to go if one wants to recover as soon as possible?

You shouldn't ask us, but yes, it should ideally. However, talk to a doctor before trying anything.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Height Journey

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 10:25:06 PM »

I didn't see this discussion until it was recently bumped.

How much Vitamin D3 is recommended after surgery until consolidation? The regular recommended daily dosage for normal people is 1000ie. Would it make sense to increase the dosage to 5000ie daily for the post op phase?

100% Normal Daily Values:
Vitamin D3: 800 IU
Calcium: 1300 mg

I'm recommended by my doctor to take 5000 IU Vitamin D and 1500mg calcium daily in supplements alone for the entire lengthening and consolidation phases, which is what I'm doing now. Your doctor should provide you the recommendations.

It's a good idea to get 2000+ IU Vitamin D daily in the few months before surgery, so you have it in your reserves during and after surgery.

Steroids are for muscles, not bones. Growth hormones, I'm not sure on that. However, do not take any of these without a prescription, because doing so is illegal.
3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

ReadRothbard

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2022, 10:37:14 PM »

I didn't see this discussion until it was recently bumped.
100% Normal Daily Values:
Vitamin D3: 800 IU
Calcium: 1300 mg

I'm recommended by my doctor to take 5000 IU Vitamin D and 1500mg calcium daily in supplements alone for the entire lengthening and consolidation phases, which is what I'm doing now. Your doctor should provide you the recommendations.

It's a good idea to get 2000+ IU Vitamin D daily in the few months before surgery, so you have it in your reserves during and after surgery.

Steroids are for muscles, not bones. Growth hormones, I'm not sure on that. However, do not take any of these without a prescription, because doing so is illegal.

Steroids/exogenous testosterones should help in building up or maintaining strength during recovery, though. I believe HGH also hastens bone growth, too. As for legality, well, obviously that depends on where you live.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »

deca

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

zaozari

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2022, 02:18:12 PM »

Even before getting veterans and doctors opinions, taking everything I already knew from my background and new readings into consideration, I am trying to make a kind of provisional "schedule" of daily supplements for my LL journey. You may find it here useful suggestions, so please bring it also your inputs. This is not a scientific proposal  of course, and a guy with less dense bones for example may need more calcium. For the moment I also don't suggest dosage, that needs to be seen in more detail (because it depends on the food one eats, on diferent oficial daily recommendations, on form and time of ingestion, etc.)

*Breakfast
--Calcium hydroxyapatite or calcium carbonate (still trying to check which one is more bioavailable, theoretically hydroxyapatite would be better; it's the same form of calcium as in bone. At least carbonate shouldn't be taken with empty stomach and calcium available in its pills is around 40% of its weight)
--Vitamin D (essential to be accompanied by some fat, like butter or whole milk)
(Simultaneous intake of both is ok, in fact vitamin D is absolutely essential for calcium absorption)

*Middle of the morning, with stomach more or less empty (OR 1h AFTER LUNCH IF you DIDN'T AVOID intake of vitamin C in foods or drinks in breakfast; but in this case, AVOID vitamin C at LUNCH):
--VITAMIN B complex, with a full glass of water.
( !  Some contradictory sources indicate it's better take vitamin B at meal time, like lunch ! )

*Lunch
--(Vitamin B complex, or let otherwise this time "slot" free, reserved for any other supplements you may need additionally or medicines that may interact or compete if taken in other time slots) (READ above)
(Additional supplements could be for example manganese, lysine and other aminoacids)

*1 hour after lunch: Vitamin B ? (read above)

*Tea time, with a light meal
Avoid dairy products (take them another time like breakfast, lunch, bedtime)
--Iron PLUS Vitamin C
--Copper (very low copper in the body inhibits iron absorption; but don't take too much, to avoid competition)
--Extra protein: it may be useful to take a whey concentrate of aminoacids and/or lysine alone (or as reinforcement)

*Dinner
--Boron
--Magnesium (don't put off to bed time as it contributes to GABA absorption and it competes with calcium despite being relaxing)
--GABA

*Bedtime
--Calcium citrate (can be taken with empty stomach, so it's "practical" and will "work" overnight; it's very absorbable but pills have only 20% of its weight available; calculate the best quantity)

NOTES
*GABA: it's not completely proven that GABA supplements are real bioavailable to stimulate synthesis of GH available to bones. On the other hand, GABA contributes to melatonin synthesis and possibly facilitate sleep.
*Avoid dietary fibers intake at the same time as magnesium intake.
*Vitamin C is essential to colagen synthesis (collagen fibers are the most important component of bones, together with calcium hydroxyapatite); it also helps iron absorption. Full colagen supplements are not helpful as it is first digested into its aminoacids before absorption to blood.
*Phosphorus is essential for bone but any reasonable diet includes the necessary intake.
*You will see other nutrients mentioned in supplements for bones but those are either not necessary in supplements or are "secondary" (for example flúor from domestic water is enough).
*Don't take multivitamins as Centrum: they will give you a false sensation of efficiency/support but many of its nutrients are poorly bioavailable or compete with each other. On the other hand, multi nutrient supplements like vitamin D together with calcium are ok.
*Avoid massive amounts of calcium.
*Silicate additives are thought to be inert (not absorbed).
*Vitamin K may be useful for bone synthesis BUT IT'S ALSO A COAGULATION AGENT, possibly raising danger of CLOTS.
*Avoid supplements, natural or not, not proven to do any good, as their interactions are not known and they would contribute to excess of pills' excipients in the stomach.
*Avoid grapefruit.
*CHECK EVERYTHING WITH THE DOCTOR taking into account all the medicines you may be taking

**Substancially more important than supplements is a good varied diet with lots of more bioavailable nutrients and enough calory intake **

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:30:16 PM by zaozari »

zaozari

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 12:35:20 PM »

Come on, guys, your doctor hasn't suggested any supplements at all?
Or increasing of any special food intake?
All people that hasn't started LL yet, like me, is surely trying to minimize risks and improve the process and outcomes in any possible aspect. ..

zaozari

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »

One doctor recommended 5.000 UI vit. D and 2000 mg calcium during lengthening.
But beware of two things that doctors usually don't care much about.
First, when you take vitamin D you should add some amount of fat and thus preferably taking it alongside
a meal (vit. D is soluble in fat, not water).
Calcium may be taken at the same time but note that with meals it's best calcium carbonate instead of citrate and you will only get around 40% of the pill weight in bioavailable calcium (eg for a 1000 mg pill, only 400 mg). Calcium citrate is best absorbed and you can have the stomach empty, but the pills have only have around 20% of its weight in bioavailable calcium.
After lenghtening usually these very high amounts are usually decreased.

Pikachu

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 09:23:24 PM »

Have you guys ever tried organic plant based supplements? I'm searching for something which I can use both before and after the surgery. If anyone used this kind of supp can let me know, it would be awesome.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up