Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitbone Femur Lengthening in Istanbul - Dr. Muharrem Inan  (Read 123399 times)

ChrisIsaak

Re: Fitbone Femur Lengthening in Istanbul - Dr. Muharrem Inan
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »

I'm having great conversations with people working at the hotel, the room cleaning staff, others working at the lobby, kitchen, or at the administration, they're all great people. All have asked about my condition though. Many people assume I'm crippled from birth or something, I quickly inform them that I had a traffic accident. Then they ask how. I say "Motorbike.. It was a rainy day.." I realized the irony yesterday when I caught myself looking at Harley Davidson's 2014 models online. I picture myself riding one someday. I'll start collecting my earnings for purchasing one, but I'll get help from my cousin, he has two bikes and knows the market. Been listening to Hip Hop lately, good way to kill time - especially Lupe Fiasco, the guy is amazing.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »

Love this. Brings back so many memories. Music has been my #1 company during this journey.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2014, 04:27:48 AM »

7 cm!

Almost done.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2014, 04:39:00 AM »

*Copying down my reply to a forum member on the old forum to summarize my current state*

Before LL I thought I'd have all the spare time in the world to read, start learning Russian, and play my guitar once again, after so many years. I only barely had time for reading, and even that has to be a book that is easy to concentrate on. I sleep more than usual, but it's not a straight-8-hour-sleep, it's like I sleep here and there for 2 hours at most, then wake up with stiffness in my legs. I wake up, I feel drowsy and sleepy, and think that I should've slept for 5-6 hours, but I look at the clock and it's only been 1-2 hours. I try to force myself back to sleep but it doesn't always work. With fragments of sleep, I have difficult concentrating on one task, such as making business phone calls and organizing meetings. I'm easily distracted. This is starting to get frustrating, but I remind myself that I have only 1 cm of lengthening left, and I feel okay.

RGKEY

• just take it day by day
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »

Hi ChrissIssak! you've come a long way my friend, you will be finish soon with the pain. I saw your pre op pictures and your proportion look very similar to mine, kinda long torso and small legs which we are lucky I think for LL haha)) take car my friend, and just one more centimeter and you will be done))))

Rgkey
RGKEY 2.0
Original height. 163.5cms. Current height 172.5cms
Operation on 6/4/13 Tibias 9 centimeters

TRS

« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2014, 06:10:36 AM »

Hey Chris,
Congratulations on reaching 7 cm!!!
You have handled your CLL journey well and your dream of being 5'8 is only a few days away  ;D

mediocre

« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

Way to go bro!
1cm more is nothing now that you're almost there.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

@Rgkey

Thanks bro! I checked your diary and our proportions look very similar indeed. Relatively short legs, long torso, we were the perfect candidates for LL. I'm impressed by how your walking has improved in a month. And you can carry heavy stuff too, great. I noticed that you somewhat lean left and right when you walk, as you carefully shift your weight between legs - is this because you're still cautious? How's your current situation?  :)

@mediocre  @TheRisingShorty

Thanks bros!  ;)  My physio makes an assessment of my condition everyday, he advised me to lower my lengthening rate to 1 mm/day, and I've started to feel a bit better since I lowered the speed. It's amazing how reducing 0,5 mm/day immediately affects how stiff your legs feel and decreases the pressure on your hamstrings & quads. Only a week left!

RGKEY

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

yes like a penguin lol its because i still got my frames and there are particular positions that gives me pain when i step.
RGKEY 2.0

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2014, 12:44:12 AM »

My last post in this forum unless handy is banned. Cheers.

RGKEY

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2014, 03:24:45 AM »

looks pretty good man)) can't wait to see you walking))))
RGKEY 2.0

jerry

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »

Well done on 8cm  :)

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »

Thanks, fellas  :)

I'll keep posting and from now on, you won't hear a word from me about the old forum. I don't want to get into heated arguments again. Not a single word. I'll be minding my own business.

I'll meet Dr.Inan and his whole crew of assistants on Tuesday afternoon. A Tomography scan will reveal exactly how much I've lengthened on both legs. I should be really close to 8 cm by now, but I hope nothing goes wrong. I hope there won't be any difference between each leg. As long as I'm 7,5+ cm's, I intend to stop and wait for consolidation. These last few days have been mentally difficult for me and I really want to walk again, even if with crutches.

At this point, sometimes I wish I had lengthened with a weightbearing nail. Fitbone is excellent for non-cosmetic lengthenings since most aren't bilateral, but for a cosmetic LL with Fitbone one has to be very patient.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »

I spoke with Goodfootballer from old forum  on the phone for 40 minutes today. What a great guy, he's a true warrior. He convinced me that Dr.Salameh is a great option for tibia lengthening. He was able to walk 5 days post-op, lengthened 7 cm's, and even went to football matches (yeah, to the stadium!) during his lengthening. Continuing your -almost- normal daily life while lengthening must be an amazing experience. He also said 9 out of 10 people realize your new height. I really hope to have him as my guest here in Istanbul sometime soon.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:08 AM »

FINAL WEEK OF LENGTHENING: EXTREMELY BAD NEWS & TURNING IT INTO EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS:

After the tomography, I received the bad news. My right leg was at approximately 7 cm, whereas my left had stuck at approx. 6 cm. I currently have a discrepancy of about 1 cm between my legs. I didn't panic when I received the news, although my parents did, I guess. Initially, the doctors considered removing one of the screws from my left leg in a minimal surgery (which would require a one-day hospital stay only). I laughed, said fine, I love surgery, maybe I can get my ex to pity me (was kidding, obviously). Then added, no catheter right? No, they said, it wouldn't be necessary this time. Phew.

The thing is, what I face is a similar thing to what amatan faced, and we don't know if the nail on my left is still continuing to lengthen, or if the resistance has become too much for its mechanism. When you purchase two Fitbone nails for bilateral lengthening, the company sends four nails to the doctor. These extra two nails you don't pay for, and they're there in case anything goes wrong with the other two. Could we change the nail in my left leg? Yes. But we would have to send the x-rays to the company and convince them of the implanted nail's early failure. That's possible too. Yet there would be a risk of infection with an extra surgery. The nail in my left might still be working, too.

Was I expecting the bad news? I had a feeling about it. When I placed my legs together in bed my right knee seemed just a bit, slightly longer than my left, and when I lengthened my left leg I heard a POP! noise everytime from my bone, as if some force was resisting the nail - the same sound didn't come from the right leg.

Who is to blame? That's not my style - I don't like blaming people, and I prefer to blame myself first if it's really necessary. At this point of my life, I don't think it's necessary. Maybe I should've kept lengthening with 1,4 mm/day all the time. The doctors think I'm a very exceptional patient because, quote, "They haven't had a patient as informed, as psychologically driven, focused and with a positive attitude, and they haven't had a patient with my speed of recovery."

I bet they tell this to every patient. Lol.
Just kidding.. I believe it's absolutely true. I rock.

Okay, now the good news - why the hell am I so cheerful right now? Tramadol high? No, I haven't taken any pills for a while, not even for sleep. I'm cheerful because of our final decision: No more surgery. Stop lengthening right leg. Continue lengthening left leg for a week and let's see what happens. If it lengthens for a bit, then awesome. If not, it'll be a bit frustrating, but a 1 cm discrepancy doesn't stop someone from living a normal life, walking, running, etc. If I really want to, I'll correct it with tibiae lengthening in the future, but right now isn't the time to think about that. And the best news - I'll be on crutches in a few days! No more wheelchair. I'm only allowed to step on my right leg for a while because apparently the consolidation is sick enough. I thought I'd have to wait for 3 weeks or a month to be on crutches.. I was almost falling in depression due to a long period of immobility and some external (personal life) reasons, and BAM, the patient psychology is gone. The sunshine rays come through the window inside my room and life is calling me again.

I was at a point where I stopped caring about centimeters. I only wanted to walk again. Walk with the knowledge that life is too valuable to waste on changing yourself according to other people's perceptions. I feel more confident and dominant now. I feel as if I reached for myself and finally found myself. I don't care if I'm 171 cm or 172 cm, yeah that's still relatively short, but know what? I don't care anymore. I didn't want to be tall, I wanted to mend my broken soul. Thank God I did.

A new self respect and hard discipline has surrounded me. I feel like my passionate self 3 years ago in Michigan. I eat salad, protein, fruits and drink water, I've shed weight. My face is thinner. When I can walk properly again, I'll take up boxing once again. Boxing, weightlifting, cardio and dance, 8 days per week. I'll invent a new day necessary because 7 isn't enough. Why not? From now on, nothing is impossible. The dark cloud from my mind has gone, leaving its place to peaceful bliss and sunshine.

I'll go to an orthopedic shop today - they will make a plastic cover for my legs which I'll be able to wear under my trousers. The purpose of the plastic covers are to prevent unwanted movements in the leg while walking, avoiding unnecessary pressure.

Hopefully, walking videos will be coming soon!

Thank you for bearing with me during this journey. Best of luck to all past, current and future LL'ers.

BullSurfer

• Let's jazz this up!
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2014, 06:17:13 AM »

Congrat man! Halfway through the process I lost my purpose. We went into the LL just to satisfy our "what if".

Now you're taller than Russia's sweet puddin' president. Cheers!

jerry

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »

I'm happy for you bro, for the psychological boost more than anything.   cheers

TRS

« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »

I really admire your positivity and consider you as a LL role model :) It seems that people are "reborn" after their LL surgery and start valuing things that were taken for granted pre-LL. You have shown that LL is very unpredictable and people should not be disappointed with unexpected consequences that could hinder their LL goal. Your contribution to this forum has been very beneficial to me and wish you the best in your recovery.

RGKEY

« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

awesome man!!!! keep it up!!! I know exactly what you are referring to))) LL is a soul and perspective changing experience!!

just one tip, because I don't want you to smash the floor if it happens.

Just take it easy man please! and this is never over until it's over. Don't get too excited about tomorrow, just get excited about today, don't create too many expectations. It is true thou, you are in a better place now, better than before when you were lengthening, but still the battle is not over, and many unpredictable   can happen. So keep that positivism up!!! rock your world, but don't depend emotionally on how things are turning out for you, at least until all is over.
RGKEY 2.0

2BTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »

Well done, you almost there.
Current height: 161 cm
Desired height: 168 cm
Surgery: LON Tibia

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »

Congrat man! Halfway through the process I lost my purpose. We went into the LL just to satisfy our "what if".

Now you're taller than Russia's sweet puddin' president. Cheers!

Thanks man! Crank up the music and motivate yourself! All the purpose will get back to you once you start walking, trust me  ;)

I might be taller than Putin now but I still look up to him, haha

I'm happy for you bro, for the psychological boost more than anything.   cheers

Better than coke!

After LL, you feel like a true alpha.. Even if you're still the shortest guy in the room, you become so close to others' eye level that you simply don't care anymore. The funny thing is, I feel taller than anyone else now at 172 cm. Maybe because it's Turkey and not the United States.. Maybe it's the psychological boost. Weird, huh? It's probably the latter.

I really admire your positivity and consider you as a LL role model :) It seems that people are "reborn" after their LL surgery and start valuing things that were taken for granted pre-LL. You have shown that LL is very unpredictable and people should not be disappointed with unexpected consequences that could hinder their LL goal. Your contribution to this forum has been very beneficial to me and wish you the best in your recovery.

Thank you so much, your kind words mean a lot to me  :)
I'm glad I wasn't born tall or average,
I went through a lot of psychological pain because of it,
But gaining it means so much more than being born with it,
That's how you appreciate things, by earning them.
Being short defined who I am, it changed my character,
It made me understand compassion and dedication.
At heart, I'm still a short guy, and always will be,
I used to detest it, now I embrace it.

awesome man!!!! keep it up!!! I know exactly what you are referring to))) LL is a soul and perspective changing experience!!

just one tip, because I don't want you to smash the floor if it happens.

Just take it easy man please! and this is never over until it's over. Don't get too excited about tomorrow, just get excited about today, don't create too many expectations. It is true thou, you are in a better place now, better than before when you were lengthening, but still the battle is not over, and many unpredictable s**t can happen. So keep that positivism up!!! rock your world, but don't depend emotionally on how things are turning out for you, at least until all is over.

Thanks man, I will keep your advice for sure!
I can't wait to start carrying around heavy stuff like you though  :D
I started to return to my normal social life with the walker,
A new friend of mine invited me to her birthday today
She said that I could bring friends as well, and all age groups would be welcome,
So I replied "I'll be joining as the 80 year old with my walker!"

Well done, you almost there.

Imma be there soon  8)

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »

Method: Fitbone internal femur

Date of Surgery: January 6th, 2014

Started Lengthening: January 11th, 2014

Completed Lengthening: March 25th, 2014  (an estimate date)

Total Lengthening: 7 cm (approximately - will measure whenever possible)

Started Walking: March 21st, 2014

From surgery to walking: 75 days

Current Condition: Getting better everyday. Right hamstring in normal condition (close to pre-surgery), working on left hamstring flexibility. This walking video was taken a few days ago, and my walking is significantly better now. It's incredible how my walking improves so swiftly as days go by. In the video you can see the plastic leg braces I'm wearing. It's possible to hide it under pants.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

Got dressed and going downstairs to have a cup of coffee with my cousin. Proof that I can stand on my feet without holding the walker for support (good weightbearing) & notice that it's hard to tell there's a plastic brace on my legs.

HelloThere

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

Congrats Chris! Glad to hear you're back on your two feet and that everything worked out for you in the end.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

Congrats Chris! Glad to hear you're back on your two feet and that everything worked out for you in the end.

Thanks HT! I hope your journey will be safe as well! I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision and at the end.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »

Okay, here's the bomb! Today I took this video of me walking a short distance without any support (except for the leg braces under my trousers). I'm still supposed to be walking with a walker but I switched to crutches after finding out that I can manage it easily, and as you can see, they're in my left hand in this video in case of need. I can walk up or down stairs easily, and can maintain a normal social life standing on my feet for hours without getting tired! Yesterday I drove my car after 3 months and it was the best feeling of freedom I felt in such a long time..

P.S: Unfortunately I can't upload videos into Youtube at this time, so this one will provided to you by Dailymotion. Please let me know if there's a way to give direct forum links from that website.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x1lvkz9_trim-mvxmq4_school

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »

Awesome walking!  Brings back memories of Winter 2007/Spring 2008...  :D

Adriano

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »

it looks like u r walking with ballerina.

maybe its the angle of the camera.

Good progress mate!

Cooper

• If it was easy everyone would do it!!!
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:28 PM »

Wow man, impressive video. Enjoy it, your difficult days are over. It will be down hill and only get better from here on...
Starting Height: 160
Gained Femur: 6.9cm (Dr. Paley)
Right Tibia Goal: 5.5/6CM

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »

it looks like u r walking with ballerina.

maybe its the angle of the camera.

Good progress mate!

Thanks, Adriano! It's the angle of the camera, I guess. I did femur lengthening so ballerina isn't relevant in my situation (although I naturally have very stiff achilles tendons - Dr.Inan will fix it next year with a gastrocnemius-soleus release surgery while he's also removing the Fitbone nail, it will be covered by insurance).

My left hamstring tightness is almost gone. My walking appears a bit robotic because of the plastic leg braces I'm wearing underneath my trousers. I pull the braces up and tie them very hard to avoid them slipping, which makes walking a bit difficult since the braces "squeeze" my legs with pressure.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up