Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lengthening Amount Recommended  (Read 122259 times)

LLSouthAmerica

Re: Lengthening Amount Recommended
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »

No respectable doctor would allow that.
If you want to win a year but never be able to walk again normally (if you could even walk) then you really should avoid LL.

I thought I saw quadrilateral lengthening advertised in Paley web page when I was researching LL.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2017, 02:28:48 AM »

Well I saw that on Paleys website it said you can do Femur first and 3 weeks later the tibia. I want about 15cm height increase in total.
167cm Morning & 166.7 Evening.
Goal: 182cm, Tibia and Femur 14-15cm.
Possibly in Russia during Summer of 2019.

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2017, 02:34:56 AM »

Stupid question but are the rods later removed?

jojo

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2017, 05:47:38 AM »

Did Anyone messure there pre LL  ratio?

If Yes- how?

Changedestiny

• Visitor
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:14 AM »

Hello, I am new

I followed this forum some months ago but never speak-out because my case is rally unique. I though I am shorter than any one here with just 147cm, it's mean I hopeless to be average height with my current condition (160-165 cm for women in Vietnam I believe) . I am 32 years old and can't do LL  until next 2 years because some special reasons. At the soonest time to do LL, I will be 34 or 35, the age which not really suitable to do LL, so 1 LL might be maximum. My family are not agree with my decision because from their perception there is nothing wrong with my life: a loving, tall and handsome husband, 2 kids, and a good position at work. All my friend and my family can't understand why I need to do this crazy trip with a lot of risks and unbearable painful, and I can be dismissed from current work after at least 10 months proceduce. But they are not me to understand how I feel.

I heard about LL several years ago but I worry about permanent long-term harm so I did not seriously study about this. Thank for this forum, now I gain some confident and decide to do LL even it seem quite late. Pain is the least to be concerned to me.  To me pain, time and risk is worth if I can gain 7-9 cm within single surgery, then I will be 154-156 cm)

Suppose I do tibias LL with 8 cm by LON ( no other option except LON in Vietnam). You might think I am crazy. I think that too. But I saw some people in this forum do 8, 9 cm on tibias. They have some trouble since they took out the frame too soon, or they didn't do practices properly. So if I take care my LL well enough I hope it will be alright. Proportion is not st I worry about because I still look ok with 15 cm height heel. I suppose I have very short leg then. I am not sportive much, so reduce athletic  is not much problem itself. I just need to be work, run or do slight sport normally not need to be supper then it will be ok

I considering do AT release. Obviously, 7-9 cm on tibias needed AT release operation, as far as I know. I saw some of you very criticize this also. But this is my final hope. I wonder how many chance I will have trouble of cannot perform walking normally or even painful if I do ATL followed up tibias LL? Is there anyone here have no problem after the same procedure?

Please give me your frankly advice, especially if you are or knowing some one who did the same as my plan, and share with me their result.     
Thank alot

onemorefoot

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2017, 05:23:50 AM »

At your age bone formation is not that good. In my opinion dont put in risk And just enjoy your Life. But you want this, better go for the pure external way, if you have bad bone formation the gap can be compressed. If you go for LON, there can be more complications And if you get some misalignment you have to be operated again. The amount you want is quite a lot for your height. ATL is maybe the worst choice one can do, becuase your feet Will feel strange forever. But if you want 7.5, ATL may have to be done. If I can ask you, where are you from?
Budget will determine my future.

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »

im turning 20, is this a good age? and yes Im done growing, I have a huge beard :D

Changedestiny

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2017, 01:06:46 AM »

At your age bone formation is not that good. In my opinion dont put in risk And just enjoy your Life. But you want this, better go for the pure external way, if you have bad bone formation the gap can be compressed. If you go for LON, there can be more complications And if you get some misalignment you have to be operated again. The amount you want is quite a lot for your height. ATL is maybe the worst choice one can do, becuase your feet Will feel strange forever. But if you want 7.5, ATL may have to be done. If I can ask you, where are you from?
Thank Onemorefoot for replying me
I am from Vietnam.
I thousand time whisper to myself that I should accept my height as I am now. But you know, we just live once. I sure I will feel regret whole remain of my life because I didnot do any think to improve it , but I will  also regret if I destroy my life by making a risky decision at my age. What should I do?

As far as I know, LON is lengthen over nail. It means chance to misalignment the bone will be very very small. The nail intramedullary will help to make sure the bone align properly . LATN and pure external LL which let the bone develop freely so the chance of misalignment increase. Is this correct or I understand wrong? An advantage I see with LATN over LON is that the intramedullary nail put inside after lengthening can be of a larger diameter than the one put inside the bone canal during lengthening with LON, so consolidation will be quicker in LATN and less harmful for bone development. 
I rather go with LATN but in Vietnam, LON is more feasible and practical because doctor just know about LATN but never practiced it.   

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2017, 03:02:06 AM »

Hi there,
You can do cross lengthening in Russia with either Dr. Solomon or Dr. Kulesh like myself. Basically in the first procedure they lengthen the right femur and the left tibia and in the second procedure they lengthen the opposite. The reason for this is because the external method could be extremely irritating if you have to large cages only on the femur bone. Russia is also relatively cheap if we were to compare it to the doctors in europe let alone the U.S. Rent is not too expensive and the doctors are very supportive as far as I have heard. Also note that these doctors have succesfully done many operations before so I would say you are in safe hands. I know that being extremely short sucks. I can only imagine your situation. So if you are short on time/money then Russia is a safe bet my friend otherwise you can spend more and do it in europe. Dr. Kulesh could lengthen 15cm for you if you wish. A member on these forums did the same. If you want I could give you dr. Kulesh' email.
Hope you fet what you want bud.

ramaka

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2017, 11:17:01 PM »

Im at 5.5 cm and still no nerve pains. Im only on paracetamol and lyrica 75 mg (stopped tramadol for a week). I will listen to my body and stop if it gets too pain..

I know this is a long time ago but how has the recovery went for you like can you run and walk without a problem

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

Do you guys think it's better to do 8cm in Tibias alone or do cross lengthening and gain 9-10cm in both tibia and femur? I do fantasize about being much taller but then again I don't want to get 'too' greedy.

FormerKidd

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »

Hey muse.. and hello everyone here. I’m planing to do PRECICE surgery, from Turkey. Can somebody tell me here, where I can find the most cheapest PRECICE method on this planet? :D
I want to add 3.5 inches femur.
Unfortunately, I believe the maximum for the PRECICE rod is 8cm, which is about 3.15 inches.

Do you guys think it's better to do 8cm in Tibias alone or do cross lengthening and gain 9-10cm in both tibia and femur? I do fantasize about being much taller but then again I don't want to get 'too' greedy.
It is generally easier to add more length on the femur, also, there was a study posted here correlating long tibias with certain late-life issues.

Android

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »

Do you guys think it's better to do 8cm in Tibias alone or do cross lengthening and gain 9-10cm in both tibia and femur?

Overdozer did 7.5 cm in both tibias and femurs at 167 cm, so you never know, but 8 cm for your tibias sounds bad on paper. You really won't know what your body can handle until you start lengthening.

If you can afford it, cross-lengthening sounds like the more reasonable way to go. You could do something like 6 cm tibias and 7 cm femurs, that'd be within a safe range for both sets of segments. And who knows, maybe your doctor will say that you can lengthen a little more than that.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

ramaka

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »

For me personally I’d say cross lengthening for example if you do say 5cm + 5cm it would keep your leg proportions even also you would have noticeably longer upper legs that’s why I’m personally thinking about cross lengthening

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »

I agree with everyone, it's not so much the money thats the issue but I'm worried about not being able to handle 2 surgeries of lengthening, menatally speaking.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2018, 03:32:17 AM »

I agree with everyone, it's not so much the money thats the issue but I'm worried about not being able to handle 2 surgeries of lengthening, menatally speaking.

I'm going quadrilateral and had the same worry about pain and mobility.

Pain: look into my research on alternatives to painkillers

Mobility/independence: I reasoned that I won't have use of my legs after one surgery for 6 months, so if I add another one 3 weeks into the 6 months, it won't make much of a difference. I've read two QLL patient diaries (IAmReady and Vitruvius) and it wasn't clear how much worse things became after the second surgery.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

RaaX

• FitMiscer/Lookismer
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:39 AM »

more than 6cm on femurs starts looking disproportional and more than 4cm on tibias.
Ethnicity: shetskin paki
Height: 177.5cm
Wish: 184-186cm(studies have shown taller people succeed more often than short/average people)
Age as of 30th may 2018: 23

PAGrb490

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2018, 05:36:44 PM »

I see that Paley offers Stryde for internal tibias. what are the advantages of doing tibia internally?

I am a female, small-boned, i am scared that there are no small enough STRYDE nails to do tibia internally. i dont wnat to do femurs cause they are already very long for my body (short torso and tibias). but i want to use STRYDE cause it is the only thing that justifies for me doing this procedure at Paley's ($$$$$)/in my 30th (finally can afford it)

please advise

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »

what are the advantages of doing tibia internally?

Much more comfortable to sleep with than external fixators, reduced risk of infection, can be completely hidden under pants/tights.

External fixators are weight-bearing, but with STRYDE, that's also the case - if there are thin enough nails for your tibias.

I am a female, small-boned, i am scared that there are no small enough STRYDE nails to do tibia internally

Have you asked Dr. Paley what is the smallest diameter STRYDE nail that they have?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

The Dreamer

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »

I'm sorry OYG but I have to contradict you
It is generally known that for tibias the best method is External with Ilizarov
It is way less invasive than putting nails inside a bone
Infections with Externals when occur can be easilly treated with local meds due to being external infections while infections with Internals are way more dangerous and can lead to osteomyelitis and in the worst case amputation
Ilizarov also allows to do more accurate corrections of misalignments
The best method for tibias is external and anyone denying it is simply wrong
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

PAGrb490

« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »

If the best method for tibia is Ilizarov (external), then why Paley is not offering it? Why he is doing internal only for tibia?

Purushrottam

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »

I'm sorry OYG but I have to contradict you
It is generally known that for tibias the best method is External with Ilizarov
It is way less invasive than putting nails inside a bone
Infections with Externals when occur can be easilly treated with local meds due to being external infections while infections with Internals are way more dangerous and can lead to osteomyelitis and in the worst case amputation
Ilizarov also allows to do more accurate corrections of misalignments
The best method for tibias is external and anyone denying it is simply wrong

I disagree. The external frames makes it very painful to do stretching exercises/therapy. With internal, you don't have the pins pulling at your flesh while you are stretching. Sure the infections can easily be treated but they are still painful.

Also, I may be ignorant on this, but I don't think the external frames allow rate control/reversal like Precice.

I can't comment about the likelihood of osteomyelitis with Precice.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2018, 02:09:19 AM »

I disagree. The external frames makes it very painful to do stretching exercises/therapy. With internal, you don't have the pins pulling at your flesh while you are stretching. Sure the infections can easily be treated but they are still painful.

Also, I may be ignorant on this, but I don't think the external frames allow rate control/reversal like Precice.

I can't comment about the likelihood of osteomyelitis with Precice.

From experience external tibias were fairly comfortable. Pins werent painful at all. I did get a minor infection but was cured fast with antibiotics. Also external frames do allow controlled lengthening and reversal as well. If we talk about external frames on femur then yes thats very painful atleast it was for me and i had alot of pin cutting and pulling but tibia was a breaze to lengthen. Hardest part was getting rid of ballerina foot but that would be hard with internal as well.
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

Purushrottam

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2018, 03:06:49 AM »

From experience external tibias were fairly comfortable. Pins werent painful at all. I did get a minor infection but was cured fast with antibiotics. Also external frames do allow controlled lengthening and reversal as well. If we talk about external frames on femur then yes thats very painful atleast it was for me and i had alot of pin cutting and pulling but tibia was a breaze to lengthen. Hardest part was getting rid of ballerina foot but that would be hard with internal as well.

My goodness! You did external femur? I heard thats painful AF. Hope you are doing well! Do you happen to know what makes external femurs particularly painful?
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Bosnian2018

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »

This thread is outdated. For multiple doctors

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »

There've been no long term studies linking LL to athritis, and except maybe LON, how?

Hey penguin. You said LL is linked with Arthiritis EXCEPT for LON, how is that? Does LON offer some advantages over any other type of lengthening?

_gulliver_

• Visitor
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »

From what I have read in various sources, the amount of lengthening one can add to height safely depends on many factors such as muscle flexibility, initial bone height, the patience of the patient etc. But for the majority of people, 7-8 cm is possible. Experiencing so called "ballerina syndrome" or difficulty in movement is frequently seen in people who go over 5-6 cm but that is a temporary condition and is absolutely curable with physio and exercises  ;)

Jamee12

• Visitor
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »

Yes the Rod's are removed about 6month to 1.5 year after the lengthening is completed.  I know guys that have never removed their rods.  But can you imagine?  Kind of like wolverine... Jamee

I couldn't wait to get mine removed, I had them in for a full year and  a half.

Astronomy

« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »

Is Betz a deceiver?He told me he had lengthened like that much for YEARS........

InFullStryde

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2019, 02:01:21 PM »

Is Betz a deceiver?He told me he had lengthened like that much for YEARS........

I have heard a ton of things about Betz on these forums! Good and Bad.  I know he has been doing this surgery for a long time now. I wonder what his success rate is... hmm
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Astronomy

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »

I have heard a ton of things about Betz on these forums! Good and Bad.  I know he has been doing this surgery for a long time now. I wonder what his success rate is... hmm
I think bad things about him came out just because he exaggerated adopted elongating amount.That sounds even like a daydream....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up