Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Good looking guy can't get a job because of his height  (Read 12398 times)

Sean Connery

• Newbi
Good looking guy can't get a job because of his height
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:05:23 AM »

I think this guy's case is definitely one where cosmetic lengthening would result in a benefit to his quality of life. He's a good looking guy and the only thing holding him back is his height. His story made me very sympathetic to his struggles. I found it on the r/short sub-reddit.

r/short thread:
People say not to let it define me and be confident, but it's so hard to do this when you're a lot shorter than other guys. Average height where I live (US) is around 5'10" for guys, so I'm almost a foot under this. I was the tiniest kid/teenager ever and the doctor found that I had a treatable growth hormone deficiency around the time I was 12. My dad is 5'11" and my mom is 5'5", so I was predicted to be around 5'4"-5'6" without treatment and 5'10"-5'11" with it. My family is very poor and they figured that the height range wasn't really that short, so my parents decided not to go through with it (the treatment is expensive). I actually remember being upset at the prospect of being 5'5".

I have always been business saavy and got accepted to a competitive business program for high school. When I entered high school as a freshman, I was only 4'7". Teenagers are cruel and high school was tough for me. I was regularly asked why I was so short, if I was a midget, and stuff along those lines. I was getting comments every single day about my height - sometimes jokingly from my friends, other times it’s from teachers or even people I don’t know in the hallway. It took a toll on me. It seemed like it was always on people's minds when I was talking to them. I found out my growth plates were closed when I was 16, and I only measured 4'10.5". I still legitimately believed I'd be at least 5'4" up until that point and was so upset.

College was better, or maybe I just got used to my height. People still said things to me, but they weren't usually so upfront about it anymore. One time I was walking around campus though and this random jackass walks up to me and says "Hey man. You know, every time you come out on the streets and walk around, everybody is looking at you and thinking 'Damn, look how short that man is.' I just wanted you to be aware of that." I don't think the guy even went to the school, but still. This is probably more extreme than the stuff many of you have to deal with.

I majored in business in college and graduated last year. Long story short, I've been living at home for almost a year now and after 30+ interviews have not gotten a single job offer, even after having what I'd call mostly great interviews. It might not have been "you're too short to work here", but it's implied. I'll give you a story. For one interview I'm expected to meet up with one interviewer and one other interviewee at a local coffee shop. The interviewer gets there and calls me and the other guy up, so we go meet him at the front and the 3 of us go stand in line. The interviewer is probably 6'5", and the other interviewee is about 6'4". The two of them were talking and basically at eye level and I'm standing there like an idiot feeling like a little kid. Anyone could tell the decision was made before I had the chance to say a word by the look on the interviewers face when he looked at the two of us.

Another time I interviewed with these 2 men, it went great, and as I'm leaving I need to use the bathroom on the way out. Well the interviewers think I left, because they are walking past the bathroom and I randomly start hearing them say "Holy  , that guy was like a midget." to which the other guy says "Do we need to put a 'you must be this tall to interview' sign outside the door?"

It's   like this that make it hard for me to continue looking for jobs on a daily basis. I feel like no matter what I do, I can’t get people to take me seriously. What are my options here - I need to get a job that's not working at McDonalds, but it seems like my height is an instant deal-breaker nearly every time. If you want to see what I look like (if this helps the cause at all), here's the thread I posted earlier in r/Rateme.

http://www.reddit.com/r/short/comments/2z3u15/411_male_here_24_years_old_i_try_to_be_confident/

r/rateme thread:
1) Headshot: http://i.imgur.com/lfUZeQT.jpg

2) At a party: http://i.imgur.com/DTx6FxH.jpg

3/4) These guys are all around 5'7"-5'11":
http://i.imgur.com/NwXXMRP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bIA3Oea.jpg

I have a college degree in business/sales and have been on over 30+ interviews in the past year with no success. I have excellent credentials and social/interviewing skills, but employers just don’t seem to want a 4’11” guy representing them in sales. I also have little/no luck with girls - I go to bars often and no girl is willing to give me the time of day. So I'd like you guys to rate me and be honest :) Thanks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Rateme/comments/2z3g8s/m24_im_only_411_and_my_height_has_made_it/
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

YellowSpike

Re: Good looking guy can't get a job because of his height
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:35:45 AM »

Wow....this story....kinda broke my heart.  :-\

I think that in his case, yeah, LL could be a huge benefit to him. He is clearly dealing with terrible discrimination on a day-to-day basis that most of us (even me at 5'5-5'6, I never had it this bad) could never dream of. I hope this guy finds success and happiness no matter what path he chooses. I can't imagine how he does with women, even though he is good looking. He's shorter than almost all women out there before heels...

The world is so f*cked up these days. People really suck sometimes.

Freewill

• "You can do anything you set your mind to man"
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:13:49 AM »

poor guy, i feel sad for him for the discrimination he faced. Why not we think about those guys out there who born handicapped or lost their legs due to polio or born with any other physical or mental deformity, think what do these guys go through when they see other normal humans laughing, playing , enjoying any activity they like, don't they desire to get married and have kids?.. They too wish to be Free from the bonds of this restrictions they are born with, they too wish to Fly...But i know God will do justice in the hereafter world to these people. i hope this guy finds a nice job and a good soulmate...

theuprising

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:17 AM »

This really bothers me that this guy could have been treated and wasn't and then you have the spoilt rich kids on these forums whose parents fork out $100,000 without a second thought. So unfair.

Deepak Chopra

• Newbi
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:04:36 AM »

endomorphisme: "At 182 cm, I know exactly how this guy feels. Why must society discriminate us? :("
I've got to do what I've got to do.

Smallguy

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:09:26 AM »

Consider that he is lucky. At least he still got the face. Some of us get discriminated not just for our heights but also for our looks. And even when we finally get a girl into bed, we get discriminated for our penis size. This actually happens to me not too long ago ><

... not me.. but to a friend of a friend of mine :)
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:17:04 AM »

I'm glad at 5'7" I can at least wear lifts to be average height and not get discriminated against at work. It's probably a different game when it comes to managerial promotions though, but I have a few years before that and hope to have done my femurs by then.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

hadrian

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »

I cannot even imagine how this guy feels. In a just world adolescent males with a proven growth deficiency should have HGH shots provided to them like candy, just like 911/emergency services are available to anyone with need. If the government really cant cut out just one of it's useless programs to fund this they should at least give him a no interest loan that he can pay back in his adult years, or at least dock it from his taxes. And like teen girls and birth control/abortions, legal leeway should be given to the child and his decision should override those of his parents in case his parents are ignorant and don't want him injecting this lifesaving hormone. He should be allowed to get injections discretely with no parental permission at any doctor's office or clinic.
Is it time to close this chapter of my life, and look towards the future?

w1988

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »

Wow sad story, it's like being the height of a midget but worse. I think when employers decide against him they think that some other employer will take him on, but of course that doesn't happen. At my workplace there was this guy that was going to be my next work colleague but he got turned turn because he had a fked up ear (I think it was infected after he used one of those stretching gauges), it's a discriminating world out there.

Do you guys think he would benefit from CLL because going from 5'6 to 5'9, 5'9 to 6ft (or whatever) is one thing but going from 4'11 to maybe 5'2 still makes you very short and you still have the torso/head/hands of a very tiny person.

I noticed that others on reddit mentioned bulking up, I doubt that is going to help in this situation.
26yo male, 168-169cm current height, 175cm goal and I like short walks on the beach.

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

This guy is a stronger man than me, I can't even handle being 178CM.

Maybe he could start his own business?

YellowSpike

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »

Wow sad story, it's like being the height of a midget but worse. I think when employers decide against him they think that some other employer will take him on, but of course that doesn't happen. At my workplace there was this guy that was going to be my next work colleague but he got turned turn because he had a fked up ear (I think it was infected after he used one of those stretching gauges), it's a discriminating world out there.

Do you guys think he would benefit from CLL because going from 5'6 to 5'9, 5'9 to 6ft (or whatever) is one thing but going from 4'11 to maybe 5'2 still makes you very short and you still have the torso/head/hands of a very tiny person.

I noticed that others on reddit mentioned bulking up, I doubt that is going to help in this situation.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how much CLL would help him. Even after two surgeries, he'd be like 5'5 or 5'6 max, and he'd look really disproportionate. And if he did one surgery to be a little more proportionate, he'd only be 5'2. And bulking up is not gonna help at that height...

Man, my heart truly goes out to this guy. I hope in the end he ends up really successful. I'm rooting for him for sure.

endomorphisme

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »

endomorphisme: "At 182 cm, I know exactly how this guy feels. Why must society discriminate us? :("

This is from someone who wants to be 188 cm so just shut up please, and for the record I am 183 cm

NewHeights

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »

This is from someone who wants to be 188 cm so just shut up please, and for the record I am 183 cm

Endo, I think you have to understand and accept that you will get a lot of criticism for being on this forum when you are 6' tall, and also for thinking you are short at times at 6'
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)
Option 1: Inversion and Glucosamine to 177+CM :)
Option 2: CLL to 180 CM :)
"Be the best version of yourself"

endomorphisme

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »

Endo, I think you have to understand and accept that you will get a lot of criticism for being on this forum when you are 6' tall, and also for thinking you are short at times at 6'

You can criticize me if you are way shorter than me andbif you will end up shorter than me too after ll, I understand that it makes some of you upset.
But when someone says "I don't understand why you are insecure at 178 cm or 183 cm" and then say "I want to be 188 cm" it sounds a bit hypocritical.

NewHeights

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »

You can criticize me if you are way shorter than me andbif you will end up shorter than me too after ll, I understand that it makes some of you upset.
But when someone says "I don't understand why you are insecure at 178 cm or 183 cm" and then say "I want to be 188 cm" it sounds a bit hypocritical.

I see what you're saying, and I think you are right. It is unfair for someone who wants to be taller than 6' to criticize you.
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)

NewHeights

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »

I see what you're saying, and I think you are right. It is unfair for someone who wants to be taller than 6' to criticize you.

Actually, I retract my statement. I still think it is logical for someone to criticize you if they want to do CLL to be taller than 6'. Take for example a 5'9" or 5' 8" guy who wants to be 6' 1". That person may figure that IF they decide to do CLL, that they might as well go above 6'. I doubt that either of those individuals would consider CLL if they were already 6' however. Therefore they still have a logical argument to criticize you for considering CLL at a great starting height

Alittletooshort

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:36:39 PM »

Actually, I retract my statement. I still think it is logical for someone to criticize you if they want to do CLL to be taller than 6'. Take for example a 5'9" or 5' 8" guy who wants to be 6' 1". That person may figure that IF they decide to do CLL, that they might as well go above 6'. I doubt that either of those individuals would consider CLL if they were already 6' however. Therefore they still have a logical argument to criticize you for considering CLL at a great starting height
No it's not logical at all, doing something but judging others because they want to do the same thing is pretty hypocritical :P
There is no doubt that endomorphisme is not short, however, no one has the right to judge him because he pursues his dreams like everyone else here. I don't think that anyone wants to be criticized because he did the surgery, but hoping not to get judged by others while doing it yourself is just wrong.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:58:59 PM by Alittletooshort »

endomorphisme

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »

No it's not logical at all, doing something but judging others because they want to do the same thing is pretty hypocrite :P
There is no doubt that endomorphisme is not short, however, no one has the right to judge him because he pursues his dreams like everyone else here. I don't think that anyone wants to be criticized because he did the surgery, but hoping not to get judged by others while doing it yourself is just wrong.

I pursue my dreams like everyone here, yes, but I don't care what others think, on this forum particularly since we don't know each other and we will never meet each other.
I m still on this forum because I would like to read diaries about Dr solomin, considering you will do ll with him I hope you will keep us updated

Alittletooshort

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »

I´ll probably do it with Dr. Kulesh but they work together closly so it should be pretty similar in terms of the treatment. I didn´t fully plan it though, so I´m not 100% sure If I do it this summer but I guess I will.

greatheight

• Newbi
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »

I think this guy's case is definitely one where cosmetic lengthening would result in a benefit to his quality of life. He's a good looking guy and the only thing holding him back is his height. His story made me very sympathetic to his struggles. I found it on the r/short sub-reddit.

r/short thread:
People say not to let it define me and be confident, but it's so hard to do this when you're a lot shorter than other guys. Average height where I live (US) is around 5'10" for guys, so I'm almost a foot under this. I was the tiniest kid/teenager ever and the doctor found that I had a treatable growth hormone deficiency around the time I was 12. My dad is 5'11" and my mom is 5'5", so I was predicted to be around 5'4"-5'6" without treatment and 5'10"-5'11" with it. My family is very poor and they figured that the height range wasn't really that short, so my parents decided not to go through with it (the treatment is expensive). I actually remember being upset at the prospect of being 5'5".

I have always been business saavy and got accepted to a competitive business program for high school. When I entered high school as a freshman, I was only 4'7". Teenagers are cruel and high school was tough for me. I was regularly asked why I was so short, if I was a midget, and stuff along those lines. I was getting comments every single day about my height - sometimes jokingly from my friends, other times it’s from teachers or even people I don’t know in the hallway. It took a toll on me. It seemed like it was always on people's minds when I was talking to them. I found out my growth plates were closed when I was 16, and I only measured 4'10.5". I still legitimately believed I'd be at least 5'4" up until that point and was so upset.

College was better, or maybe I just got used to my height. People still said things to me, but they weren't usually so upfront about it anymore. One time I was walking around campus though and this random jackass walks up to me and says "Hey man. You know, every time you come out on the streets and walk around, everybody is looking at you and thinking 'Damn, look how short that man is.' I just wanted you to be aware of that." I don't think the guy even went to the school, but still. This is probably more extreme than the stuff many of you have to deal with.

I majored in business in college and graduated last year. Long story short, I've been living at home for almost a year now and after 30+ interviews have not gotten a single job offer, even after having what I'd call mostly great interviews. It might not have been "you're too short to work here", but it's implied. I'll give you a story. For one interview I'm expected to meet up with one interviewer and one other interviewee at a local coffee shop. The interviewer gets there and calls me and the other guy up, so we go meet him at the front and the 3 of us go stand in line. The interviewer is probably 6'5", and the other interviewee is about 6'4". The two of them were talking and basically at eye level and I'm standing there like an idiot feeling like a little kid. Anyone could tell the decision was made before I had the chance to say a word by the look on the interviewers face when he looked at the two of us.

Another time I interviewed with these 2 men, it went great, and as I'm leaving I need to use the bathroom on the way out. Well the interviewers think I left, because they are walking past the bathroom and I randomly start hearing them say "Holy crap, that guy was like a midget." to which the other guy says "Do we need to put a 'you must be this tall to interview' sign outside the door?"

It's crap like this that make it hard for me to continue looking for jobs on a daily basis. I feel like no matter what I do, I can’t get people to take me seriously. What are my options here - I need to get a job that's not working at McDonalds, but it seems like my height is an instant deal-breaker nearly every time. If you want to see what I look like (if this helps the cause at all), here's the thread I posted earlier in r/Rateme.

http://www.reddit.com/r/short/comments/2z3u15/411_male_here_24_years_old_i_try_to_be_confident/

r/rateme thread:
1) Headshot: http://i.imgur.com/lfUZeQT.jpg

2) At a party: http://i.imgur.com/DTx6FxH.jpg

3/4) These guys are all around 5'7"-5'11":
http://i.imgur.com/NwXXMRP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bIA3Oea.jpg

I have a college degree in business/sales and have been on over 30+ interviews in the past year with no success. I have excellent credentials and social/interviewing skills, but employers just don’t seem to want a 4’11” guy representing them in sales. I also have little/no luck with girls - I go to bars often and no girl is willing to give me the time of day. So I'd like you guys to rate me and be honest :) Thanks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Rateme/comments/2z3g8s/m24_im_only_411_and_my_height_has_made_it/

Poor guy . hes so short!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how much CLL would help him. Even after two surgeries, he'd be like 5'5 or 5'6 max, and he'd look really disproportionate. And if he did one surgery to be a little more proportionate, he'd only be 5'2. And bulking up is not gonna help at that height...

Man, my heart truly goes out to this guy. I hope in the end he ends up really successful. I'm rooting for him for sure.

That guy Akash Shukla who had externals with Dr Paley and went from 4'11 to 5'2 seems to think it made a big difference in his life. I think if the reddit guy went to 5'5 it could make a pretty good difference for jobs and dating, especially in urban areas with a good population mix. He might be disproportionate a little bit, but the height increase would more than make up for it.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

endomorphisme

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »

He is 147 cm 165 cm seems impossible to reach at best he can be 160-162 cm
btw, he cannot have a decent job that equals to his degree, so considering ll is futile since he might not be alble to afford the surgery.
assuming he could, I would try to pass 160 cm and then moving to an Asian country, when he could blend in the crowd

Uppland

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »

btw, he cannot have a decent job that equals to his degree, so considering ll is futile since he might not be alble to afford the surgery.
assuming he could, I would try to pass 160 cm and then moving to an Asian country, when he could blend in the crowd

165 might be a bit hard but 155 or 153 is doable.

Maybe he would be up for two surgeries, in that case he could become 157-8.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »

If he's 4'11 then he'd be 150 cm, so if he were to push it with two surgeries with 7 cm on each segment he could reach 5'4.5. People like Apo have done more, and while I don't think it's smart at a 5'7 starting height to push for that much, this guy's starting height seems like it might be worth it for him to do it. People would be much less malicious about a near 5'5 guy than a guy under 5'0.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Uppland

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »

If he underwent an extensive surgery program and lengthened both segments of his legs, his clavicles and his arms he could be maybe 13-14CM taller with good (enough) proportions. That would be very stressful, time consuming , expensive and maybe even harmful though, but whenever there is life there is hope.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »

165 might be a bit hard but 155 or 153 is doable.

Maybe he would be up for two surgeries, in that case he could become 157-8.

If I was him, I'd do at least 15 cm. I would probably be desperate enough to even do 20 cm at that height.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

FutureLengthener

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »

Wow, when you consider that he would have to lengthen as much as Apo to reach the average STARTING height of us forum members, his case looks bleak. It also should make us count our blessings. At 165-172cm (and 178cm for our Danish friend) we experience enough setbacks to push us to get LL, but imagine if we also looked like freaks at this height?

I agree, LL would help him. He'll never be tall, never be average, BUT even at 168cm if he does an extreme amount of LL, he'll escape a degree of heightism so extreme none of us could even imagine.

mini_me

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »

I saw guy that height working at a Mercedes dealership so I wouldn't say he's unemployable... but someone who is a dwarf would love to look to him at that height.

miserable123

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 04:57:30 AM »

Guys, I would like your opinion. I am a leg lengthening patient and is currently recovering. I can walk now without any support but my bone is still in consolidating phase. Do you think it is a bad idea to mention in the cover letter that i did leg lengthening to explain unemployment gap? should i just keep it a secret? Thank you in advance for your opinion.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »

I have the same life as he does.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

wants2growtaller

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 03:42:29 AM »

I feel for this guy. Because I go through daily discrimination as he does. My height is a barrier to my success. It negatively impacts every area of my life. And im really sorry about it because I have a lot of potential. Sometimes I really hate the direction humanity has gone. This obsession with physical beauty has hurt a lot of people.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up