Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How LL (inevitably?) misaligns joints, creates x-legs, and causes joint pain  (Read 41505 times)

maximize

Also... I've heard Dr. Mongral talking about nail insertion and fixation under an angle, so actually you don't need externals anyway. It's just that we don't see surgeons (even the best ones) doing it. Must have something to do with them also viewing the 'misaligment problem' as speculative, idk.

That's an interesting idea. Putting a nail in on an angle however wouldn't be sufficient to circumvent this issue for femurs, since femurs are on such a great angle already. But for tibias, theoretically it could work. Problems would be passing the nail through the tibia such that the nail is perfectly perpendicular to the ground when standing normally, while still having that nail confidently placed such that it's not deviating too far from one side of the bone to the other as it transits through the tibia.

Intramedullary rods are meant to be just that - intramedullary. Putting the lengthening rod through even a tibia on a perpendicular to the ground would require it to drill extensively through the cortical bone which would decrease confidence in ability to tolerate weight bearing and increase risk of the bone splintering/fracturing when weight bearing occurs.

In that case, you would lose most of the benefits of having the internal fixation in the first place. Though it might still be a valid option if the surgeons don't mind drilling it so that large portions are running through the cortex, with a more cautious protocol regarding weight bearing.

crimsontide

itsmylife

yet again....

sigh

endomorphisme

yes i think its my life has come back...again :-\

maximize

I have no idea who that is. Nor do I understand what the problem would be with trying to identify and work through pros and cons of different surgical approaches on a site dedicated to discussing leg lengthening.

I had not seen anyone diagram this potential issue before or have a focussed discussion about it. I had some ideas I wanted to share and stimulate further thoughts about. If you don't think the discussion is useful, you don't need to participate.

endomorphisme

its my life, just give up, and give us a break now

Uppland

yes i think its my life has come back...again :-\

Don't be paranoid they write nothing alike, ItsMyLife lacks the emotional intelligence to fake a different personality.

crimsontide

they have exactly the same personality

paranoid.. fixated on every possible worst case scenario and  also  overposting

this person just got here and  is on  pace to post over 20 times today...  this fits the pattern

the writing is somewhat different, and could be a different person... but theres very strong similarities

maximize

its my life, just give up, and give us a break now

Anyone want to give me the brief notes on who this is and why people are finding this discussion problematic?

I'm guessing it's because talking about possible negatives of different surgeries is considered a faux pas?

Is it better to never think about this stuff and then end up surprised you have x legs after 3 inch internal femurs are done?

As for my posting style, I'm posting a lot because I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm sharing my thoughts as I go. I've contained all my posts to one thread so I don't see a problem, and I'm pretty much done talking now because I've said everything that I was wondering about.

Now I'm just curious if we can stop trying to analyze each other's personalities and actually discuss the alignment issue with external vs internal fixation. I'm still curious for any thoughts.

In particular I'm wondering if there are modern safe Ilizarov procedures that could be better long term alignment options than the current gold standard of Guichet internal femurs.

alps

come on guys. what kind of talk do you want to hear on this forum then?

rants? proportions? "how does it feel after LL?"? "new LL doctor in Antartica"?

being educated about what you're planning to go through is not a bad idea.

he's not trying to advertise anything you see...

crimsontide

it's the  obsession

ithere will be always some kind of minor issue with this surgery... it's a given... theres no need to even discuss it

if someone is looking for the perfect way to get this surgery... it becomes tiresome..... theres no perfect way... i honestly dont think theres even a superior way.. they all have pros and cons

anyone who  needs to  find a way to have the perfect outcome is not going to  have this surgery

you have to take the risks involved... there's no mathematical way to analyze this and improve outcome... its very simple

try to be prepared

pick a good dr

have good aftercare

accept reality that it takes  time to get recovered

its that simple

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

To be fair, if you assume the misalignment problem is real and it causes long-term knee pain, external femurs would indeed be totally superior. Complications of external femur lengthening are the same as with internal lengthening, plus general complications of external fixation, but nothing specific to external femurs, expect temporary ROM limitations. The main problem of EFL I consider is discomfort. I'm talking about classic Ilizarov frames here, no monorail. But then again the 'misaligment problem' is highly speculative.

There has to be some reason why many highly regarded limb lengthening surgeons prefer internal femurs to external femurs, though, despite the mechanical axis deviation issue present with internals. Even Drs Herzenberg and Paley won't do external femurs for cosmetic reasons, and they did the study about mechanical axis deviation with internal femur nailing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22933497

I want to e-mail Dr Paley about it but he probably won't go into detail unless I book a consultation with him.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

maximize

There has to be some reason why many highly regarded limb lengthening surgeons prefer internal femurs to external femurs, though, despite the mechanical axis deviation issue present with internals. Even Drs Herzenberg and Paley won't do external femurs for cosmetic reasons, and they did the study about mechanical axis deviation with internal femur nailing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22933497

Thank you very much for that reference. That's a really good way of quantifying it. So for a 7.5 cm internal femur lengthening, you get a 7.5 mm deviation of the axis.

At the risk of further irritating those who think I talk too much, ;) I'm going to speculate on the question you raise, because I think it's interesting. I think the reasons these reputable surgeons love internal femurs are the following:

1) They are fast
2) They are very reliable and give predictable results
3) Less infection
4) Less nonweightbearing time, which leads to less depression and atrophy
5) Few surgeries required in most cases
6) Less surgeon-dependent "maintenance" than an Ilizarov that requires regular adjustment and monitoring

The "cost" of having a slight misalignment of the mechanical axis is mostly paid by the patient, not the surgeon. The surgeon has already told you there is a risk of  arthritis or joint aches, so it is not really his direct problem or liability if a mild genu valgum deformity leads to those mild complications for you over the next few years.

The surgeon's liability is more related to the acute recovery period - contractures, limb deformities, fractures, infections, etc. So from a surgeon's perspective, it makes sense to favor an approach with the most consistent results and fewest short term problems. Even from a patient perspective this may be ideal. Many patients will still probably be happy with internal femurs even if they get mild chronic knee pain because the surgery and recovery can go so relatively smooth, and they got their height without losing a limb.

But for those of us who really want to try to maintain our joint axes in normal alignment, I am thinking the most ideal available option may be tibial LATN. This approach involves lengthening based on an Ilizarov cage, which in the right hands should be able to let you lengthen as in my diagram above, without shifting the axes at all (though margin of error of Ilizarov is unknown to me at this time). Then with the nailing after the lengthening, you get the benefits of early weightbearing and less nonunion. Personally, I also think the long tibia looks better than the long femur, though I know this is subjective and not that important in the scheme of things.

Disadvantage of tibial LATN is primarily it's slower than femoral internals, there's still some total down time, and you have pin infections/risk. Also, I imagine it's more difficult for the surgeon, and requires more skill and monitoring to get a good result, as an Ilizarov can require periodic readjustments to maintain axis. You are at your surgeon's mercy with this approach to get it correct.

Issues with LATN I want to understand better would be: What is the margin of error with the Ilizarov distraction? ie. Can it reliably produce a straight vertical lengthening without significant axis/rotational deviations? Also how well do the talotibial, talofibular, and tibiofibular (ie. ankle) joints typically function after tibial LATN?

A femoral LATN would be another option but most seem to avoid Ilizarov cages on the upper leg due to how cumbersome they become and difficulties with moving around, wheelchairs, etc in them.

Then after a perfectly done tibial LATN, a tibial internal nail like Precise 2 or Guichet would provide potentially the next least amount of mechanical misalignment.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:38:22 AM by maximize »

Sean Connery

• Newbi

I have emailed a handful of lengthening doctors about this a few minutes ago. Mainly just asking if there are any permanent complications of external femurs or LON/LATN femurs with monorail. If there are not aside from more pain and more physical therapy required then I think I might opt for external femurs anyway. Bluebarbie is doing it and I hope she makes a good recovery.
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

maximize

I have emailed a handful of lengthening doctors about this a few minutes ago. Mainly just asking if there are any permanent complications of external femurs or LON/LATN femurs with monorail. If there are not aside from more pain and more physical therapy required then I think I might opt for external femurs anyway. Bluebarbie is doing it and I hope she makes a good recovery.

Cool. Thanks Sean. From what I understand of the procedure, LON will cause the same axis deviation as internal nails, since again, you will be lengthening purely along the tilted axis of the bone, and not in a straight up and down plain as I think is more desirable to maintain joint alignment. Not sure about monorail.

Bottom line I'm thinking for me at this point:
  • Internal femurs: Predictable and safe but they guarantee axis deviation (which may or may not be a problem for each person).
  • Internal tibias: Theoretically would offer less axis deviation than internal femursand also likely be safe but no one is doing these because they're slow and more complicated to administer than internal femurs (adds complexity of patella, fibula, ankle).
  • LATN tibias: Not as predictable or as safe as internals and again brings in the patella, fibula, ankle complexity, but has the potential if done well for perfect post op joint alignment.
  • LATN femurs: No one seems to really want to touch these, but they might be best of all for the joints if they can be done safely and well, since you can theoretically maintain the axis perfectly, and it avoids the ankle, patella, and fibula. Any significant error in axis, rotation, or angulation to the femur is going to be a real problem though so precision is key.

Sean Connery

• Newbi

Well Dr Singh in Singapore is doing LATN femurs for Bluebarbie so perhaps they aren't so dangerous. And he's letting her go to 7 cm. If she has a good result it will make me confident enough to go that route.

I think doing LATN femurs gives you crooked femur bones though.

maximize

Well Dr Singh in Singapore is doing LATN femurs for Bluebarbie so perhaps they aren't so dangerous. And he's letting her go to 7 cm. If she has a good result it will make me confident enough to go that route.

I think doing LATN femurs gives you crooked femur bones though.

Crooked would be fine if it's the right kind of crooked. This is how I imagine it should be (exaggerated of course). In real life the distortion would be more subtle, so they should still be able to put a nail down it to fix it once positioned.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:57:49 AM by maximize »

Uppland

Knee pain is a very real risk when doing internal tibias.

YellowSpike

I'll have to post pictures in my diary at some point....but I don't have x-legs when I stand with my feet apart after internal femurs. However, I think for me this is due to my having genu varum (bow legs) before LL, which LL indirectly improved (in my case). My knees are closer together, yes, but when I stand with feet apart, I don't have x-legs the way Shy seems to a bit.

Sean Connery

• Newbi

Even Drs Herzenberg and Paley won't do external femurs for cosmetic reasons, and they did the study about mechanical axis deviation with internal femur nailing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22933497

I want to e-mail Dr Paley about it but he probably won't go into detail unless I book a consultation with him.

Hi Kilokahn,

I e-mailed Dr. Paley a few hours ago asking about the safety of doing LATN femurs and linked him to the study you posted about mechanical axis deviation. I just got a reply from him.

E-mail sent to me by Dr. Paley. Those concerned about this issue should read below.

This is the response I received from Dr. Dror Paley:

"The methods of combining ex fix and internal fixation were developed by me. I used to use these methods. I no longer use these for cosmetic lengthening. The results with Precice are second to none and the issue of axial deviation over a nail is a non issue despite my publication. We have a new publication that will come out in Sept that will lay that issue to rest. If I were doing this procedure today I would NEVER consider using an ex fix. I would only do it with the newest, SAFEST, and fastest method for efficacy and recovery. That method right now is the Precice. We use the P2.1 which is the newest model. I would recommend that if you are serious about this come in for a consultation and also read the attached material."

I can attach a screenshot of the e-mail if you guys need proof.

Overdozer

Nice one. Checkmate, OP.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

alps

Well let's wait for the study.  ;D

theuprising

As someone planning femur lengthening I want what Paley's saying to be true which seems to be that lengthening internal femur does not cause misalignment. However, why have other doctors been saying it does? Why have patients who were bow legged noticed change in their alignment after doing internal femurs if it supposedly doesn't alter anything? Does Paley have a deal going with Precise? This is fundamental geometry here lengthening along the anatomical axis would clearly shift the alignment. I look forward to reading his paper.

Joel

My back is fked up someone made a post about that, I just dead ATG squats for 4 plates without proper form.  Hey if you LL you probably aren't doing worse for yourself then a power lifter + juice jus sayin.
5'5 manlet of peace

Sean Connery

• Newbi

I don't think Dr. Paley was saying it doesn't cause a misalignment, but that whatever misalignment caused is a non-issue or won't cause premature arthritis like is thought. I'm eager to read his publication coming out though.

maximize

Thanks again for contacting Dr. Paley, Sean. That was a helpful reply. It followed mostly along what I expected him to say: internal LL is faster, safer, more reliable, etc. But it's good to hear it direct from a guy with so much experience/expertise. I think he does have an arrangement with Precise. He installed the first Precise nails in existence, and I presume he's worked with them to create the device. He may even own some of the invention, though I really don't know and don't care too much. I trust Paley is saying what he truly believes. He seems like a very ethical man who is committed to getting the best results for his patients.

I've been thinking continually about all of this and I have a number of further thoughts.

Tibial Lengthening and the Anatomical Axis
I've looked at it in more detail, and it appears the angulation of the tibias in a healthy anatomically correct person are far more vertical than I was giving them credit for. For example, in this xray here, we see the tibias are practically perfectly vertical. The only abnormality to them is that they have a somewhat "S" shaped curvature. But from direct top to bottom it is virtually perfectly vertical. The femurs by contrast are on an approximately 7-9° angle.

Here's another interesting xray of a person with bow legs (perhaps much like YellowSpike was preop), which was fixed via a high tibial osteotomy. I find it interesting, because they probably could have gotten close to the same correction from an internal femur lengthening. But the point is, in the post op xray, the tibias are now almost perfectly vertical, as it seems they probably ought to have been. The femurs appear to be post op at approximately 5°.

The verticality of normal tibias is important because it means that well done internal tibias should properly preserve the anatomical axis of the hips/knees/ankles. It would therefore not be necessary to use Ilizarovs to keep the alignment.

I am fixated on maintaining alignment for a number of reasons which should be obvious but I'll touch on later. Internal tibias (for myself) may then be a favorable approach. Uppland, you say knee pain is a real possibility with internal tibias. The question is exactly why, and whether this is due to soft tissue pain which may resolve with physio or bone damage/deformity that is permanent. Further questions I want to answer include:

- How slow will an internal tibia be?
- Would an internal Guichet tibia be better than an internal Precise tibia, since Guichet is more weight bearing?
- How exactly is the rod drilled into the tibia? If it is inserted in any way that damages the articular surface of the tibia, that's going to be the fastest way to knee arthritis, so then this option becomes less appealing.
- Does the lack of a full nail through the fibula predispose the fibula to deformity during this procedure that could lead to ankle arthritis long term?

Internal vs External Femurs

I looked at Bluebarbie's thread and honestly I'm sorry to say I am horrified at what has been done to her. I think her thread is a perfect (unfortunate) example of why monorails shouldn't be used. The surgeons have installed the monorails on a massive angle in one of her legs, and now they have no way to correct this. They have told her "it will be fixed when the nail is inserted". But in the meantime she is developing bone callous which will start consolidating. There is no controlled or accurate way they will be able to fix this misalignment during the nailing process. What they are telling her makes no sense.

She's wealthy. If I was her, I'd be sending my xrays to Paley or Guichet and asking them what they can do to fix it ASAP, perhaps in this case via external Ilizarov. I don't mean to sound cynical or unsupportive but I think she looks like she's getting butchered, and if she doesn't do something soon she will regret it. I'm going to tell her that too.

Ilizarov externals have so many adjustable attachments to the bone it can shift the bone in almost any direction to correct misalignments like what Barbie's going through now. So for her now that might actually be a good corrective option.

But reviewing threads from people who have had them for primary lengthening in Russia, China, etc. I am beginning to understand better why the modern surgeons are less eager to rely on them. Bluecrimson in his thread was saying it can take up to 2 years to get back to "normal" from what he's seen.

They do seem to perform external femur Ilizarovs at the Ilizarov Scientific Centre in Russia. If I were to get Ilizarovs, I presume that's where I'd get them. But if the surgeons control the axis during such Ilizarovs by serial xray and approximation, it becomes such an almost artistic endeavor since it depends so much on the skill and attentiveness/awareness of the surgeon. That can be dangerous, which is probably part of why Paley doesn't want to touch them unless to correct deformity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1039416/Tall-order-The-bizarre-Russian-clinic-offers-leg-lengthening-surgery-STAND-pain.html

Paley's Pending Study:
I agree with Sean that Paley's not saying the axis deviation doesn't happen. Rather, he's saying it's a "nonissue". Like everyone else, I am eager to see what he plans to publish to show this. I expect it will be reassuring. However, I don't think he will be able to truly prove that this deviation is is a nonissue. The Precise is too new a device. The only way to prove it's a nonissue would be to follow a cohort of Precise femur lengthened patients for 20 years and then show they don't have increased arthritis or knee pain rates. No one can do that though because the technique hasn't existed long enough.

What I'm guessing he's going to be publishing instead is a comparison of maybe 20 patients lengthened by tibial Ilizarov to 20 patients lengthened by internal Precise femur and show that the knee pain, stiffness, and range of motion is not significantly different between both groups after 1-2 years or so. That would be useful to see, but it still wouldn't completely put to rest concerns about the genu valgum deviation of internal femurs.

A genu valgum deformity/deviation will put increased stress on the lateral compartments of the knee and ankle. As  theuprising phrased it, this is again a matter of fundamental geometry. The only way to know what the long term effects are is to wait 20 years. But we shouldn't even need to do that. Most orthopedic surgeons can tell you that genu varum puts you at risk for medial compartment arthritis, and genu valgum puts you at risk for lateral compartment arthritis. I simply can't see a way around this. The weight bearing through the two knee compartments needs to be balanced to maintain the longest duration of joint health.

As I've said, I really want to be taller. But personally I'm not yet so desperate I'm willing to take the risk that an axis deviation could lead to knee/ankle/hip problems in the long run. Right now, I'm putting my hopes into the possibility of Guichet/Paley tibial internals. I'm looking into more detail at the operative techniques linked here:

http://ellipse-tech.com/precice-physicians/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:45:04 AM by maximize »

programdude

I don't think Dr. Paley was saying it doesn't cause a misalignment, but that whatever misalignment caused is a non-issue or won't cause premature arthritis like is thought. I'm eager to read his publication coming out though.
I remember in my consultation with him he actually said that the mis alignment would fix my slight bow legs as a freebie.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

theuprising

I remember in my consultation with him he actually said that the mis alignment would fix my slight bow legs as a freebie.

TRS could explain this better than me so if you're reading feel free to correct any details but I'll give it a shot. There is alignment issues not only from hip to knee but also from knee to ankle. In TRS case his femur lengthening resolved his hip to knee misalignment but he still had his bow leg issues which would have to be resolved through tibial realignment surgery.

What I'm saying is your bow legs will still exist it's that the femur lengthening pushed your knees together. The knee to ankle alignment will still be out.

Overdozer

Holy crap is that external bilateral femurs? I'd like to see her walking!

The only way to prove it's a nonissue would be to follow a cohort of Precise femur lengthened patients for 20 years and then show they don't have increased arthritis or knee pain rates. No one can do that though because the technique hasn't existed long enough.
I think they call it 'argument from ignorance'. It has never been established that internal femoral lengthening does indeed cause knee arthrisis due to a lateral shift of the axis. But you're asking him to prove it wrong, when it's merely speculation.

They have told her "it will be fixed when the nail is inserted". But in the meantime she is developing bone callous which will start consolidating. There is no controlled or accurate way they will be able to fix this misalignment during the nailing process. What they are telling her makes no sense.
The funny thing is that the misaligment she has developed is actually a 'good one', which follows her mechanical axis. So she can let it heal in that way and it will be OK. Though... on the right leg I'm afraid the valgus is too strong, so her feet will shift out instead. I too I'm wondering how they're going to insert the nail with such a misaligment. But could be they know something we don't.

Most orthopedic surgeons can tell you that genu varum puts you at risk for medial compartment arthritis, and genu valgum puts you at risk for lateral compartment arthritis. I simply can't see a way around this
The thing is, even when going for the 'max amounts', which I'd say is 7-8 cms, the lateral shift is quite small. You aren't going to develop a genu valgum or a 'knock knee' or 'x legs', because of a 7 mm lateral shift. To get something like on that picture you'll have to lengthen really a lot. The difference between pic 1 (normal) and pic 2 (genu valgum) is a whooping 15 degrees in tibia angle. Just imagine how much lengthening you'd need in your femurs to bring your tibias from 0 to 15 degrees. Though there's one thing I want to point out: the amount of later shift depends also on your femur angulation, females should expect a higher lateral shift.

Plus, any lateral shift that you'd get after internal femoral lengthening you could compensate by lengthening tibias externally and correcting them to a valgus. As your feet shift in when you lengthen femurs by anatomical axis, you shift them out with external tibias. Problem solved.

Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

maximize

I think those of you with bowlegs (genu varum) are lucky. You might be the only "ideal" candidates for internal femurs in terms of potentially improving rather than worsening the mechanical axis.

There is alignment issues not only from hip to knee but also from knee to ankle. In TRS case his femur lengthening resolved his hip to knee misalignment but he still had his bow leg issues which would have to be resolved through tibial realignment surgery.

What I'm saying is your bow legs will still exist it's that the femur lengthening pushed your knees together. The knee to ankle alignment will still be out.

If you have varus knees (bowlegged) but the horizontal plane of the knee and ankle are perfectly flat (horizontal) in this position, then pushing the knee inward will still tilt both of these planes on a slight angle like I showed in my earlier diagrams. On the plus side, the hip will now be more vertically aligned with the knee/ankle. Whether this is overall a plus or minus is hard to conceptualize. I think you'd have to look at all the exact details of an individual's particular planes/angles.

I think they call it 'argument from ignorance'. It has never been established that internal femoral lengthening does indeed cause knee arthrisis due to a lateral shift of the axis. But you're asking him to prove it wrong, when it's merely speculation.

As to whether this discussion is "argument from ignorance", I would strongly disagree. I will let some quotes from the following eMedicine article speak for me. If you like, the article has full journal references so you can see where they got their information from. It is a reputable medical reference site even among doctors.

Ref: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1251668-overview

"The anatomic axis of the lower extremity is defined by the femorotibial angle, which averages 5° of valgus."[/b] (ie. In normal people, there is a 5° femur angulation relative to the tibia.)

"During normal gait, adduction places force predominantly on the medial compartment.[4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] For weight-bearing stresses to be shifted to the lateral tibial plateau of the knee requires the development of a valgus deformity." (ie. Usually walking stresses the medial compartment and that's usually where OA (osteoarthritis) develops. Almost the only time you will develop lateral compartment OA is when you have a valgus deformity.)

"Usually, a genu valgum deformity is the result of a dysplastic lateral femoral condyle that contributes to pathologic loading of the lateral compartment of the knee and subsequent bone and cartilage destruction. An experimental model has demonstrated that the mechanical overloading of a single compartment of the knee leads to degenerative change in that compartment.[16, 17, 18, 19, 20]" (ie. Too much pressure on the lateral compartment from a genu valgum puts the lateral compartment at risk for deterioration.)

****"A study by Khan et al in patients with early symptomatic knee osteoarthritis showed a clear relationship between local knee alignment — as determined from short fluoroscopically guided standing anteroposterior knee radiographs — and the compartmental pattern and severity of knee osteoarthritis. In this study, each degree of increase in the local varus angle was associated with a significantly increased risk of having predominantly medial compartment osteoarthritis, and a similar association was found between the valgus angulation and lateral compartment osteoarthritis in 47 knees.[14]"**** (ie. Every single degree of increased varus or valgus relative to normal alignment significantly increases your risk of OA. Varus misalignment increases medial compartment risk. Valgus misalignment increases lateral compartment risk.)

Messing with the angles of the knees/ankles is not a small matter. The mechanics can be very sensitive. But as said, fortunately, if you are starting with a good natural alignment, well done internal/LON/LATN/Ilizarov tibias should be able to almost completely avoid these problems. And if you are starting out varus (bowlegged), you may actually benefit from internal femurs.

The funny thing is that the misaligment she has developed is actually a 'good one', which follows her mechanical axis. So she can let it heal in that way and it will be OK. Though... on the right leg I'm afraid the valgus is too strong, so her feet will shift out instead. I too I'm wondering how they're going to insert the nail with such a misaligment. But could be they know something we don't.

Given how many people have been crippled by shady and incompetent leg lengthening surgeries, it's possible, but I think the more likely explanation is unfortunately that they don't know what they're doing. She should seek the consult of an expert like Paley, Guichet, or the Russian Ilizarov Institute.

The thing is, even when going for the 'max amounts', which I'd say is 7-8 cms, the lateral shift is quite small. You aren't going to develop a genu valgum or a 'knock knee' or 'x legs', because of a 7 mm lateral shift. To get something like on that picture you'll have to lengthen really a lot. The difference between pic 1 (normal) and pic 2 (genu valgum) is a whooping 15 degrees in tibia angle. Just imagine how much lengthening you'd need in your femurs to bring your tibias from 0 to 15 degrees.

Agreed, but that diagram is just exaggerated for illustration purposes. In real life as quoted above, every single degree of deviation counts.

Though there's one thing I want to point out: the amount of later shift depends also on your femur angulation, females should expect a higher lateral shift.

Very true, and that raises another interesting point: The degree of expected deviation from internal femur lengthening should be completely predictable based on preoperative radiographs and expected amount of lengthening. Based on the studies on how degrees of deviation predispose to OA, the risk of OA should also be predictable to some extent as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:24:19 PM by maximize »

maximize

To bring this discussion even one step further, if you DO have an internal femur lengthening procedure, develop a valgum deformity, and notice in 2-3 (or 10) years your knees are feeling sore, particularly to the lateral compartment, you are not completely screwed. A femoral wedge osteotomy (removing a wedge of bone from the lower femur to reangle it) may straighten the knee. Doing so can at least partly reverse the damage being caused by the valgum to the lateral knee compartment. But it is not pleasant or easy.

Ref: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1251668-overview#aw2aab6b7

"The rationale of corrective osteotomy is to unload the diseased lateral compartment by overcorrecting the pathologic malalignment of the lower extremity and to facilitate the reparative capacity of the knee joint once it is mechanically unloaded. The regeneration of articular cartilage and proliferation of fibrocartilage has been demonstrated during repeat arthroscopy, compared with previous arthroscopic findings in knees that were overcorrected by an osteotomy.[39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46]" (ie. Damage caused to the cartilage by genu valgum can repair itself to an extent once the genu valgum is corrected.)

"Valgus malalignment of the knee joint is often corrected by a distal femoral osteotomy, with a medial closing wedge fixed internally (see the image below)... It has been shown to be safe and effective in correcting deformity and slowing progression of knee arthritis. To bring the knee joint line parallel to the floor by osteotomy, the deformity usually has to be corrected in the deformed distal femur itself.[16, 42, 49, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60]" (ie. To properly fix this misalignment, you need to go back, chop off the lower end of the femur, take a small wedge out to reangle it, and then refix it together. Pic below. This will possibly cost you a small amount of height gain from all the sawing, plus it's another major operation you'd need on both sides, if someone is willing to even provide it to you for only a few degrees correction and after cosmetic LL sugery.)

The suggestion above of correcting it via tibial varusing during a tibial Ilizarov could also be valid. But then again, you need to do both upper and lower legs, and tibial Ilizarov isn't that much fun from what I gather. And again, you are opening yourself up to risk that your surgeon will not control the device precisely enough to give you the exact correction you need.

Seems better to me to just pursue methods of LL that don't (or at least more minimally) shift the axis of the hips/knees/ankles to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:20:36 PM by maximize »

YellowSpike

I think those of you with bowlegs (genu varum) are lucky. You might be the only "ideal" candidates for internal femurs in terms of potentially improving rather than worsening the mechanical axis.

Yeah I was fairly significantly bowlegged before (not ridiculously so, but it was noticeable if you looked enough at it), and now my legs are perfectly straight. And, I don't have x-legs when I stand with my feet apart. So if anything, I'm hoping the realignment has helped me a bit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up