Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: DoingItForMe's Precice 2 Internal Femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 242409 times)

Alittletooshort

Re: DoingItForMe's Precice 2 Internal Femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #372 on: March 11, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »

Hey DIFM,
How many cm's did you gain with the precise2? It says you went from 167 to 175, that's impossible though. 8cm's is the maximum distraction of the device and the femur is curved, how much height did you lose due to that. I suppose it's roughly 1cm, am I right?
Thanks for the detailed and honest diary btw!

Max

« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2016, 03:11:51 AM »

And also DIFM in the initial post you clearly say your height is 164.5 cm I mean did I miss something ?

Genetic_solutions

« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2016, 07:34:47 AM »

Hi, DIFM
I'm considering Dr. Paley in the near future. Based on your experience with him, would you still recommend this doctor? I wanted to do 7-8 cm before, but now I definitely would not do that much. Do you think 5.5-6.5cm would be safer and make faster recovery? As a self made millionaire programmer, you are my inspiration. lol
Consider surgery in 2018 with Dr. Paley.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »

Hey DIFM,
How many cm's did you gain with the precise2? It says you went from 167 to 175, that's impossible though. 8cm's is the maximum distraction of the device and the femur is curved, how much height did you lose due to that. I suppose it's roughly 1cm, am I right?
Thanks for the detailed and honest diary btw!
I gained 8 cm. The femur is curved, but the rod isn't. So the height gained is exactly 8 cm. You might mean that the femur bone is at an angle and not straight down. I did the calculations, and this meant that you really only lose maybe 1 mm.

And also DIFM in the initial post you clearly say your height is 164.5 cm I mean did I miss something ?
Yea, Paley's staff measured me at 164.5 cm during my consultation. I went back and checked myself, as well as checked with another doctor. I was actually 166.5 cm or so. I remember compressing my neck and the bar on the top of my head pushing me down when the Paley staff member measured me. So that might explain why they measured me at 164.5. Or perhaps they were trying to make me think that I was shorter than I actually was to get me to do the surgery. The whole consultation felt like a sales pitch, really.

Hi, DIFM
I'm considering Dr. Paley in the near future. Based on your experience with him, would you still recommend this doctor? I wanted to do 7-8 cm before, but now I definitely would not do that much. Do you think 5.5-6.5cm would be safer and make faster recovery? As a self made millionaire programmer, you are my inspiration. lol
I don't have much issues with Dr. Paley's skills. But I don't like his ethics, especially when it comes to money. I don't recommend doing the full 8 cm. I rather keep some of my flexibility and be less tight and in pain. If I could turn back time, I'd rather stop at 6 cm and forfeit that last inch for less pain and tightness. My height neurosis really stopped at around the 5 cm mark or when I hit 5'8".
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

EndGame

« Reply #376 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »

I don't have much issues with Dr. Paley's skills. But I don't like his ethics, especially when it comes to money. I don't recommend doing the full 8 cm. I rather keep some of my flexibility and be less tight and in pain. If I could turn back time, I'd rather stop at 6 cm and forfeit that last inch for less pain and tightness. My height neurosis really stopped at around the 5 cm mark or when I hit 5'8".

Is there anything more you would be willing to share in regards to Dr. Paley's ethics?  Any examples of things which you think one should be aware and mindful of before or during a LL with him?  Or perhaps would you even recommend against going with him for LL b/c of those ethical concerns?

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2016, 02:50:31 AM »

I find it absurd that Paley charges what other doctors charge for the entire surgery to fix a simple deformity that he induced through his instruction to begin with. Unless you're loaded, Paley doesn't seem t be the wisest choice.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

DoingItForMe

« Reply #378 on: April 19, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »

Great news! Most of my pain is gone. So, what changed? I finally got to use the adductor and abductor machines at my gym, because I feel confident enough that my rod won't bend. I've been increasing the strength on my adductor and abductor muscles and increased it by 50% in the past two weeks. The pain on my TFL is also going away and doing leg lifts while on my side no longer hurt and doesn't take much effort now. My inner thigh muscles no longer hurt as much when I put a pillow between them and squeeze. My penguin walking is starting to go away and my walking looks pretty normal now. Still not 100% normal walking yet, but looks like 90% normal. I think it's because the ratio between femur and tibia are different now, so my walking doesn't look natural to me. But it would be really hard to tell that I had leg surgery now. I'm also strong enough to get up from a squat without using my arms now. Also I can do a light jog. I'm too scared to do a full speed run without Paley's blessing. I still have that persistent issue with my left TFL causing random sharp pains. It really does feel like the screws on the rod are cutting into my flesh. I can feel it having this bumpy feeling whenever it starts hurting and I touch that area. It feel like the head of the screws are getting caught onto the strands of my muscle fibers. So it's rubbing my muscle fibers like a pick through guitar strings. Anyway, that pain will probably never go away until I get this screws out.

Since the pain no longer seems like it's going to be permanent, the only thing left I can't do right now seems to be getting a low angle during sex. This is because I can't spread my legs out as much I used to. This will be very very hard to fix, because the tendons near my inner thighs feel like they're stretched to their max already. My guess is that this condition is permanent unless I train like a kung fu master and practice making a leg split.

In light of the positive events, I'm updating my recommendation for LL from a "no" to a "maybe". On a scale from 1-10, it'd be a 6. I'd give it an 8 if money wasn't a factor. I'm deducting the points because of 1) loss of flexibility, meaning certain sex positions are awkward now 2) scars, though this a minor point 3) loss of time. Realistically, you're spending around 12 months of not being normal. I was expecting it to be more like 6 months, because 3 months of lengthening and 3 months of consolidation. But it took me about 10 months to feel somewhat normal now. I think it'll be the 1 year mark before I feel completely normal again.

Things aren't much different than before, except my height neurosis is gone, and I've been going on dates with gorgeous girls who probably wouldn't have dated me at my shorter height - because they're taller than my previous height. I wouldn't say that my confidence got higher, because I was already very confident before. But now I can look at a mirror without feeling ashamed of being short. I'm very glad that I got rid of that feeling finally.

Is there anything more you would be willing to share in regards to Dr. Paley's ethics?  Any examples of things which you think one should be aware and mindful of before or during a LL with him?  Or perhaps would you even recommend against going with him for LL b/c of those ethical concerns?
Paley charges a lot and even refuses to refund you a portion of the PT even if something went wrong and you had to stop early and don't need the rest of the PT. I don't know how much of it is Paley's doing or the hospital's doing. But either way, you're stuck there in that hospital. I don't recommend going to him unless you're loaded, like Polycrates said. I don't mind as much because I'm wealthy, but I could see that someone who isn't as loaded as me would be pissed if a complication comes up and he has to pay $20-$30,000 more, when he could fix the same thing for less elsewhere. I think Iamready had a complication that caused him to have to pay a few tens of thousands more, because Paley's team didn't catch something in his x-ray. I think it was bone union too early and he had to break it again. I wouldn't go to him if money was tight.
Link to my experience

Peaceout

« Reply #379 on: April 19, 2016, 06:15:13 PM »

Congrats!
Im happy to see you are much better now and nice to know your opinion about LL is positive again. :)
Btw,what is your exact morning/night height now?

chineseguy

« Reply #380 on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »

Will you remove the screw?

Do.you plan to.do.the tibia?

DoingItForMe

« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:35 PM »

I don't know what my morning and night height is and I don't care. At this height, I stopped caring about every cm. I would have been happy at just 5'8". My friends noticed that I was taller than before. Luckily they only think I'm one inch taller because I was gradually using shoe lifts to get them used to the taller height prior to surgery.

Will you remove the screw?

Do.you plan to.do.the tibia?
Yes, I plan on removing the rod and screws when my bones have finished consolidating. It actually hasn't finished yet, and the whole left side of my left femur and right side of right femur hasn't been growing bone. Everyone else's xrays look fine except for mine. But that doesn't matter to me because my rods are holding me up.

I won't do tibias. I am happy with this height and do not want to go through the whole process again. I don't recommend this surgery for anyone around my new height. It's not worth it even if money is not a factor. But getting out of the 5'5"-5'6" range was nice. I don't look oddly shaped anymore.
Link to my experience

tallerz

« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2016, 10:07:35 PM »

Hey Difm,

How long did it take you to go from operation day to walking around on crutches and how long till you were self sufficient?

EndGame

« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »

Congrats on the reduced pain and further rehab progress! And thank you for replying to me too  :). Good your consolidated enough to walk and light jog, but shame the sides so slow to finish consolidating. Are there things they have you doing to try to help with that? Or will it just happen in time as your bones slowly keep getting stronger? Hope you are back to 100% soon!

DoingItForMe

« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »

Congrats on the reduced pain and further rehab progress! And thank you for replying to me too  :). Good your consolidated enough to walk and light jog, but shame the sides so slow to finish consolidating. Are there things they have you doing to try to help with that? Or will it just happen in time as your bones slowly keep getting stronger? Hope you are back to 100% soon!
Paley told me to use an exogen machine, but frankly, I don't think it's working on bone that hasn't been growing in the first place or working at all. I've been using an exogen 4000+ since the beginning of consolidation. After about 250 uses or so, the machine broke. It didn't run out of batteries. It just had an error and stopped working. A month after that, I checked the x-rays and my bone growth was more or less the same as the months when I was using the exogen. So I have my suspicions that the machine didn't help me that much. Plus, for 4 months, the exogen failed to get the sides of my femurs to start growing anyway.

Comparing my x-rays from Oct 2015 to March 2016 shows only about 1-2 cm bone grow on the top and bottom. That's about a half a year difference in time. At this rate, my femur will probably not have union for years.
Link to my experience

yagen

« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »

Paley told me to use an exogen machine, but frankly, I don't think it's working on bone that hasn't been growing in the first place or working at all. I've been using an exogen 4000+ since the beginning of consolidation. After about 250 uses or so, the machine broke. It didn't run out of batteries. It just had an error and stopped working. A month after that, I checked the x-rays and my bone growth was more or less the same as the months when I was using the exogen. So I have my suspicions that the machine didn't help me that much. Plus, for 4 months, the exogen failed to get the sides of my femurs to start growing anyway.

Comparing my x-rays from Oct 2015 to March 2016 shows only about 1-2 cm bone grow on the top and bottom. That's about a half a year difference in time. At this rate, my femur will probably not have union for years.

Exogen is a scam, It is configurated just for a limit time of use. You can do just 200-250 uses.

I am using other machine, cheaper and with the same frequency, 1 Mhz besides you can choosee between pulsed/continuos

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denshine-Ultrasound-Massager-Therapy-Ultrasonic/dp/B00W96A35A?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

DoingItForMe

« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »

Exogen is a scam, It is configurated just for a limit time of use. You can do just 200-250 uses.

I am using other machine, cheaper and with the same frequency, 1 Mhz besides you can choosee between pulsed/continuos

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denshine-Ultrasound-Massager-Therapy-Ultrasonic/dp/B00W96A35A?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
Yea, exogen is charging $3000-4000 to insurance companies for what is essentially a $20 device to manufacture. They're a PoS company that's defrauding insurance companies. I see that the company claims that it works amazingly for patients, but the month where I didn't use the exogen also saw the most bone growth where there weren't any. Also the sides of my bones that had no bone growth was where I placed the exogen machine the closest. So I think the exogen machine actually made my bone growth worse.
Link to my experience

YellowSpike

« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »

Congrats on doing better DIFM.

I will say (though I lengthened just over 7cm whereas you did 8cm), the pain takes a while to go away. The only pain I really have now is occasional (and very manageable) right knee pain (due to muscle tightness, which I've been actively working on and seeing results) and left screw pain (and even that's somewhat improving, though like you said, won't stop until screws are out). I had a pretty scary pain in my left leg that didn't really go away until like 6 months after I stopped lengthening.

Consolidation takes a lot of time. I think you'll be ok in the end because Precice is a bit easier on healing, whereas ratcheting rods can be rough.

My slow-ish consolidation (particularly on my left leg) concerns me a bit for tibs. Thankfully I'm doing between 3 and 4cm max for recovery time and proportions sake. I refuse to be anything less than fully satisfied, or at the very least, content with my height. I'm actually not that different from your height..my evening height is sometimes as high as 5'8.25" depending on the day (though I don't measure nearly as much anymore because at this point, it doesn't matter)...but now with boat shoe season coming up (and I love them in the summer, because they're so comfortable and stylish lol)...I have to still worry about what shoes I wear. Another inch gives me a lot more freedom. In our range, an inch makes a big difference.

Also, surprised to hear missionary is hard on you. I did missionary with this one girl recently, and it was totally fine. The only position I somewhat struggle with (though not nearly as much now) is (not sure if there's a name for it) is where your butt is touching your feet (your knees/quads are fully bent to be adjacent to your tibs) and the girl is on her back, and you're giving it to her that way. I can do it, but takes a bit of effort (and prior stretching ;) ).

But as long as I can do doggy, speed bumper, and sex off the side of the bed (with her feet on my shoulders), I'm a happy camper.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »

In the latest X-ray I took, I can see why my left screw is causing me pain in my left TFL. The bone near the screw retreated and exposed the head of the screw. So the screw head is now completely outside of the bone and is forming a hook shape that can get caught on any muscle fibers.

I think we were talking about the same position. This is what I have trouble doing now: And it sounds like it's the same position you're describing. Anything that requires me to bend my knees and spread my legs is causing me pain, so it's very distracting.

This is the alternative position I do now so that I don't have to bend my knees as much:

This pronebone position is also very hard for me to do, too now because of the same knee bending, leg spreading, or bending my legs back requirements to get a low enough angle:

Anyway, I'm going to keep stretching to see if I can get my legs to flex back to what it was originally. If a kung fu master or ballerina can do it, I can do it.
Link to my experience

Peaceout

« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:05 AM »

this is getting interesting :D

chineseguy

« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »

DIFM,  thank you very much

is it possible to wear lift after?

YellowSpike

« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »

Hmmm...none of those positions are that hard for me. The one that I think you and I were both talking about requires a tad more effort than others, but I can do it. My flexibility has been improving because I've been making it a point (however annoying) to stretch every day.

I can almost touch the floor with the palms of my hands, but not quite. Hope to be able to do that again shortly. I probably would have recovered faster as well had I not slacked off with stretching. A big part of recovery from this is walking and stretching as much as possible. Having to work (read: sit too much) literally right as lengthening ended made it hard for me to focus on recovery.

chineseguy

« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »

did you also think your gene in height and worry your children height will be short?  thank you

DoingItForMe

« Reply #393 on: April 22, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »

DIFM,  thank you very much

is it possible to wear lift after?
Yes. And sometimes I wear one to balance out the ratio between my femur and tibia. I only do this if every inch counts and I'll never see these people ever again, such as a public event or business function. Most of the time, I don't wear one, because I feel that I'm tall enough already.

Hmmm...none of those positions are that hard for me. The one that I think you and I were both talking about requires a tad more effort than others, but I can do it. My flexibility has been improving because I've been making it a point (however annoying) to stretch every day.

I can almost touch the floor with the palms of my hands, but not quite. Hope to be able to do that again shortly. I probably would have recovered faster as well had I not slacked off with stretching. A big part of recovery from this is walking and stretching as much as possible. Having to work (read: sit too much) literally right as lengthening ended made it hard for me to focus on recovery.
Sitting on my feet is still painful to me and spreading my legs out further than 90 degrees is impossible. So that's probably why I have a lot of trouble with these positions. Prior to LL, I could spread my legs about 135 degrees or so. I'm able to touch the floor with the palms of my hands. Although prior to LL, I was able to touch the floors with my wrists. I try to sit with my legs folded now to give my legs a stretch even while sitting. I'm able to put my legs behind my head. So it seems like the areas where I've been stretching often has returned almost back to where it was prior to LL, but the ones that I haven't been working on much haven't. I'm changing that now and stretching more where I lost flexibility.
did you also think your gene in height and worry your children height will be short?  thank you
No, I don't care if my children are short. If anything, this would help my children be taller, because I could date taller women and add some "tall" genes to my children's gene pool. Anything above 5'5" is above average height for a girl, so if I date anyone above 5'5", I'm already helping my kids.
Link to my experience

Revenge

« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »

what happened here :)

CCMidwest

« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »

You know, DIFM...I quit the forum and decided against LL partly because of your diary and recommendation against it. You seem intelligent and level headed, so I value your opinion. Trying my best to put this height nonsense behind me and just live my life...

Then curiosity got the best of me and I lurked the forum to see if iamready had an update. He did, and I hope he heals ok, but I ended up reading your update too...

I'm glad you are doing better, but now you say LL is an '8' on the "worth it?" scale?!?! (money is no problem for me)

That's pretty darn high.

But you also say that you would of been happy at 5'8, which I assume means if you were 5'8 to begin with, you would not of done this? (hard to know that for sure, I know)

I am 5'7.5...just 1/2 inch under the height where your neurosis was gone. (I put a 1/2 lift in my shoes to get to 5'9 with a 1" heel)

Man, I'm so confused. Half the time my rational mind is like, "5'7.5 is fine, never had any trouble...you are 5'9 in your boots" and then the irrational mind is like, "YOU COULD BE 5'9 OR MORE!!!!!"

Wouldn't be my first cosmetic surgery either. (not that the others are remotely comparable to LL)

I could be a 5'9, decently attractive, muscular, and very outgoing millionaire. Tempting AF!

Or is it all just a dream?

Man, why ya gotta change your recommendation? lol

5'7.5

CCMidwest

« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »

No, I don't care if my children are short. If anything, this would help my children be taller, because I could date taller women and add some "tall" genes to my children's gene pool. Anything above 5'5" is above average height for a girl, so if I date anyone above 5'5", I'm already helping my kids.

I'm 5'7.5, my wife is 5'9

Our first kid: 75th percentile for height.
Our second kid: 30th percentile for height.

There are no guarantees.
5'7.5

YellowSpike

« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »

My personal feeling is that between 5'7 and 5'10 (a very frustrating range), every inch is almost its own "sub-league."

We already know below 5'7", and you're SOL (sh*t outta luck) in many ways. At 5'10" and over, you're safe, and if you want LL at 5'10" or over, you're just doing it for vanity/I wanna be 6ft reasons (but if that's your choice, then mazeltov).

5'7" is often the bare minimum for many women, 5'8" is meh, 5'9" is ultra close to being free from most height related issues (discrimination from women and other men), and at 5'10", you're fine 95% of the time (unless all your friends are super tall or the woman in question is just a straight up heightist b*tch, and you don't want those anyway).

For me, a strong 5'9" is where I want to be (based on evening height), because it's almost the same thing as 5'10", and you're 5'10" in basic shoes (and over in certain sneakers) at that height anyway. I'd rather be a proportionate and healthy 5'9" than a disproportionate/take forever to recover 5'10".

CCMidwest

« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

Yellowspike,

Is there realistically any recovery difference between the 8cm or so that you and DIFM did, and the 3-5cm i'd have to do to hit 5'9?

Edit: I'm seriously considering DR. Guichet. I'd still wear my boots with the 1/2 inch lift, would put me at 5'10.5 in them. Being from the Midwest I often wear cowboy boots that give me a bit over 2" heel too, that's 5'11

DIFM sorry to clutter your diary
5'7.5

YellowSpike

« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »

Yellowspike,

Is there realistically any recovery difference between the 8cm or so that you and DIFM did, and the 3-5cm i'd have to do to hit 5'9?

Edit: I'm seriously considering DR. Guichet. I'd still wear my boots with the 1/2 inch lift, would put me at 5'10.5 in them. Being from the Midwest I often wear cowboy boots that give me a bit over 2" heel too, that's 5'11

DIFM sorry to clutter your diary

If you're doing just 3.5cm on femurs (especially with DR. G), you'll have a very, very fast and easy recovery. You'd have the first 2.5cm in just two weeks, and then I think maybe another week and a half for the remainder.

I'm just dreading having to do 3cm on tibias...hopefully it won't be bad for such a small amount of lengthening. Just sucks I gotta do that to my tibs to get where I need to be.

CCMidwest

« Reply #400 on: April 22, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »

My doc says I am 5'7.5, I think I am closer to 5'7 than I am 5'8 though...so probably closer to 5cm's of LL

Dr G would be first choice I think
Dr Catagni would be second
Dr Paley would be third
5'7.5

YellowSpike

« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »

My doc says I am 5'7.5, I think I am closer to 5'7 than I am 5'8 though...so probably closer to 5cm's of LL

Doctors often measure with a bit of error. What I do personally is mark certain heights on my wall using measuring tape (making sure it's flush against the wall), and then using an aerosol can, see where the bottom of the can hits my head relative to these marks. I don't measure as much as I used to, but I'm confident I'm doing it right (and also that Dr. G and another Dr. in Italy got my starting early evening height of 166 right).

Also, Catagni is on my short list for doing tibs late next year. Maybe we can get a group, because another friend of mine wants Dr. G, and he is also in Italy (and they're near each other I believe).

CCMidwest

« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

That's the timeframe I had in mind, so it is possible.

Not sure I care to measure myself that accurately, hate to find out I am shorter than I thought...lol.
5'7.5
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Up