Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: DoingItForMe's Precice 2 Internal Femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 241651 times)

MirinHeight

Re: DoingItForMe's Precice 2 Internal Femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #651 on: February 10, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »

My proportions are relatively good but to be even better I need femur LL because now my tibias look likg while my femurs not.
So with another LL both my segments will look proportionate compare to each other and although my torso will look short for my feet, my shoulder width will help to look ok.
I know that nked I'd look a little weird but nothing too much. With clothes on I'd look perfect, much better that with my initial height.

The only reason I still don't do femur LL is money.
I believe that in about 2 years I'll have all the money I need (40-50k euros) but unfortunately now I don't have even the half.
If I had the money I'd do LL next week. I am very determined but unfortunately not rich enough.

how much did you lengthen?
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #652 on: February 10, 2018, 12:30:19 AM »

If I had the money I'd do LL next week. I am very determined but unfortunately not rich enough.

In general, I think it's worth delaying the surgery until you get the money to pay for a top doctor and do both tibias+femurs if you need more than 6cm of total height, especially if you're young enough.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

CaptainAmerica

Re: DoingItForMe - why not quadrilateral?
« Reply #653 on: February 10, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »

Looks like DIFM hasn't been around in ~3 weeks, and in the meantime I've read more of his diary, in particular this:

That doesn't address my question - why didn't DIFM do the two surgeries simultaneously, and lengthen only 6cm in the femurs and 5 in the tibias? That's more than the 8cm he got in the femurs, and the recovery would've been much better if he stopped at 6 in the femurs. Pain wouldn't be double - most of it would overlap. Less time would've been lost as well. He'd look more proportional. I still don't understand why he chose to do femurs only. Maybe he didn't know/think of the femurs+tibias option?

Doing tibias and femurs at the same time is absolutely brutal, femurs are much easier to live with than tibia, recoveries seem faster as well. I can see how someone would only want to do femurs.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #654 on: February 18, 2018, 11:50:38 PM »

Doing tibias and femurs at the same time is absolutely brutal, femurs are much easier to live with than tibia, recoveries seem faster as well. I can see how someone would only want to do femurs.

IAmReady's experience was pretty brutal indeed at 31yo, but Vitruvius at 52yo had a much better time. I've read both diaries and what stood out as different was:

• Vitruvius stopped at 1.85" in the tibias (4.7cm). IAmReady went to 5.5cm and at one point slowed lengthening to 0.25mm/day.
  • IAmReady had the surgeries back to back - femurs after stopping lengthening on the tibias. That didn't seem to reduce the pain. Vitruvius had the staggered 3 weeks apart as Paley advises to prevent fat embolism. Overlapping them that way halved the downtime and the amount of painkillers (with risk of liver damage). Because femurs lengthen and consolidate faster, they caught up with the tibias just about when the tibias were done lengthening.
  • Vitruvius had trained pre-op "at race level" - "Before the operation I raced in triathlons, mountain biked, and I was an avid skier.   I’m now back to riding, swimming, trail running, weight lifting with my legs". I don't recall IAmReady mentioning his pre-op training.

Pros for QLL:
  • IAmReady and everyone who followed his diary were super impressed with how good the proportions looked
  • Vitruvius was able to return to close to 100% athletic ability, even at 52yo
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

myloginacc

« Reply #655 on: August 18, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

I still have a limp, but I think the screws of the precice nails are sticking out of the femur head and causing me to me limp, because it is irritating my soft tissues when I walk. But the limp is less noticeable now I think. I'm starting to run more normally as well. Before my run is kind of weird. What helped was that I started running again at the gym a few miles a day. Ultimately I do want to remove the rods so that I can walk normally again hopefully. I'm still not comfortable posting my x-rays. I can describe them if you want, but I don't think it's necessary to post them.

Yes, my case doesn't seem normal. The gap should have been smaller faster. Noticed that the other Paley patients I was with had faster consolidation. They lengthened less (7 cm), but I doubt that had an effect, since even if the gap was 7 cm instead of 8 cm, it still wouldn't have connected by now.

I'm in my late 20s/early 30s. I don't smoke. Never have. I wasn't active in the gym during consolidation phase (i.e. still in crutches), and yet that was around the time I had the most growth. Problem was that all that growth on my femur was on the inner side of my leg. There was barely any growth on the outer side of my legs. I was active in the gym after I was able to walk again, though. I swam a lot throughout.

I'm only taking Vitamin D and Calcium right now. Before that I was taking the bone supplements that Paley recommended. It was basically Calcium, Magnesium, Silicone and some other stuff. I didn't take any HGH or anything else.

I have been using bone simulators. Been using Exogen 4000+. I stopped when I realized that the growth doesn't seem affected by it at all. Confirmed this after I stopped using it for half a year, and the growth was the same rate. Might start using it just for the hell of it, since I paid hundreds of dollars for the two units. The first unit ran out of batteries after 200 uses, so did the second one, but I replaced it with a new $40 battery bought online and now it's at 400 uses and still running.

Maybe some of each of those things had a small effect on bone growth, but I think Paley is right when he says that putting pressure on the bones will stimulate bone growth faster. I suspect this because all the growth is on one side of my femur. And it happens to be on the same inner thigh area of both femurs. So I suspect that the weight of my body is relying more on the inner side of my femur than the outer side for both my legs and that's why all the growth is there. And my right leg, which is the more dominant leg, consolidated faster, too. So that further proves my theory.

So my advice for those doing LL is to try to put more weight onto your bones as early as possible - meaning that even during lengthening and consolidation, you should be standing often.

I hope the limp has gone away completely since he made this post. It's one of my favorite diaries in here.

If former Paley patients ever come back to the forums and read posts like this, I'd like to know their impressions of Stryde and how they think it'd have affected them (like people such as OYG already shared here).
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Iamready

« Reply #656 on: August 27, 2018, 12:54:24 AM »

IAmReady's experience was pretty brutal indeed at 31yo, but Vitruvius at 52yo had a much better time. I've read both diaries and what stood out as different was:

• Vitruvius stopped at 1.85" in the tibias (4.7cm). IAmReady went to 5.5cm and at one point slowed lengthening to 0.25mm/day.
  • IAmReady had the surgeries back to back - femurs after stopping lengthening on the tibias. That didn't seem to reduce the pain. Vitruvius had the staggered 3 weeks apart as Paley advises to prevent fat embolism. Overlapping them that way halved the downtime and the amount of painkillers (with risk of liver damage). Because femurs lengthen and consolidate faster, they caught up with the tibias just about when the tibias were done lengthening.
  • Vitruvius had trained pre-op "at race level" - "Before the operation I raced in triathlons, mountain biked, and I was an avid skier.   I’m now back to riding, swimming, trail running, weight lifting with my legs". I don't recall IAmReady mentioning his pre-op training.

Pros for QLL:
  • IAmReady and everyone who followed his diary were super impressed with how good the proportions looked
  • Vitruvius was able to return to close to 100% athletic ability, even at 52yo

It was just bad luck for me. I put in more time and effort  than any other patient at the Paley Institute during the time I was there. Perhaps Vitruvius went at a time where he was able to get more attention from the doctors. I have extremely wide feet that did not fit in the lazy one size fits all dorsiflexion boot that they provided. The reason why the Paley Institute offers a custom fitted boot is because I demanded it. If I wore it from the start I would have had a much easier time. There was also a complication that the doctors did not pick up until my femur surgery consultation- the fibula consolidated while the tibia was still lengthening causing my legs to bow. I had no choice but to do the surgeries back to back without a gap because of this complication.  The Paley institute was extremely busy during the time I was there and I felt I deserved more attention than I received. In the end, everything has worked out. I recently removed my rods and I’m recovering. My life is better than it ever was and I don’t regret a single thing except that I wish I had come up with the money sooner.

hotty

« Reply #657 on: August 27, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »

Hi Iamready. Glad to know you are doing great. It was unfortunate you deleted the diary due to the trolls but it was one of the best diaries on here.

From what little I know, DIFM had a decent result too, but he somewhat regrets having done the procedure. Eventually it is all about the mindset. LL is a little too expensive in every sense and even with great results, only the ones who have done it know how hard it is. :)

myloginacc

« Reply #658 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:07 AM »

DIFM, if you ever read this, did you have the precice rods removed? Did your bone gap ever fully heal?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

FutureManuteBol

« Reply #659 on: June 08, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »

Any update?

Blairheight

• Visitor
« Reply #660 on: March 06, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »

Just read the entire post.

Does anyone personally know DIFM and can share his current status?

Shorty_NoMore

• Visitor
« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »

DIFM thanks for your diary, this helps me mechanically to prepare for LL, as well as psychologically on why i need to do this.

I am Asian, can relate to your story pre millionaire and LL. I'm still working on the money part, then continue with the LL stage.

DIFM mentioned in the past if there's no post, life is great for him as people eventually want to move on and forget about this painful experience. I hope that's the case, super curious after 5 years if he ever recover 100%...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up