Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why don't people just move to a shorter country?  (Read 3754 times)

DragonTurtle

• Visitor
Why don't people just move to a shorter country?
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »

21 year old 5'7 guy here...do people just pack up and move to a shorter country (South America, Southeast Asia, etc.) instead of doing LL? I'm thinking of doing this to go up to 5'10, but I want a job that involves a good deal of traveling anyway...wouldn't it just make more sense for me to move away somewhere and live happily ever after?

E.g, the average male height in Peru is only 5' 4.5"!!! Yes it would be a huge change, but wouldn't it be considerably easier to learn Spanish, settle down, etc?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Why don't people just move to a shorter country?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »

Just packing up and moving to a country with a lower average height is too impractical for a lot of people. Cultural and language difference would be a big hurdle. Not to mention leaving behind everything you grew up with.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Joel

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:34:43 AM »

The crime rate in Peru is quite high as well....  You probably would be targetted and screwed over anyone who does this lacks confidence is probably going to wind up dead in an alley.
5'5 manlet of peace

sadboy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:47:52 AM »

Not worth it at all... I just want to be taller, period.

Yemef

• Newbi
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »

Because of family,relatives and responsibilities.Assimple as that
banned for clone account: Emef:Yemef

DragonTurtle

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »

So I guess my situation is quite different. Personally, I grew up in a 3rd world country, and had to travel a lot because of my parents' jobs (about once every two years to a new city/country until I was 18). Moving somewhere new after college isn't out of the question for me. It's interesting - while I have a decent circle of friends, I really only consider my blood family really close - perhaps because of how I have moved around growing up.

Also, to be honest, I just thought even if I did get LL, wouldn't I just start "anew" anyway? Won't people suddenly notice that I'm not short...Even if I do LL and stay in the states, I thought I would move to a new city/state in here and avoid others discovering the surgery. I'm aiming for a professional career (MD/PhD/etc) and I think this would be pretty bad for reputation if colleagues found out. What do you all think?

Alittletooshort

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

Hardly anyone knows about this surgery and if you stay in moderation with the gains most people won't think about this too much.

tallerbetter

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »

This question is stupid. Sorry...  Who would like to move to Peru? :-\
and a man from Peru who is 5'? Where should he move?

wants2growtaller

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

I have actually thought of moving to another country. But if you are going to move to a different country I think it needs to be done legally. Im really not into moving to a different country and being an illegal immigrant. Plus packing up and going isnt that simple. Maybe in a different country they dont have much heightism. But they could much worse problems. There is also the question of attitude, culture etc. It really isnt a bad idea. But it has to be done right. And there are even some African countries that are not big on height.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

extremis

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »

21 year old 5'7 guy here...do people just pack up and move to a shorter country (South America, Southeast Asia, etc.) instead of doing LL? I'm thinking of doing this to go up to 5'10, but I want a job that involves a good deal of traveling anyway...wouldn't it just make more sense for me to move away somewhere and live happily ever after?

E.g, the average male height in Peru is only 5' 4.5"!!! Yes it would be a huge change, but wouldn't it be considerably easier to learn Spanish, settle down, etc?

I've never understood people who ask this question. If you're going to go this route, why don't you cut out the middle man and just move to a cabin in the middle of the woods? Or just become a shut-in and never leave your house? What problem, exactly, do you think you're solving by "moving to a shorter country"?

You do realize that taller people are still preferred in "shorter countries", right? Heightism doesn't just vanish when you cross borders.

By the way, the bit about the average man being 5'4.5" in Peru is not true, at least not the way you think it is.

That average, which I assume was taken from Wikipedia or some other source found through a quick Google search, was taken from the ENTIRE male population of the country, i.e. it includes older men and people who live in impoverished rural areas, who very often ARE malnourished, and when I say "malnourished" I don't mean like it in the sense that the poster Bruce Wayne on this forum often talks about it, like he thinks that if he had just slept more and drank 6 gallons of milk a day he'd be 6'3 or whatever idiot cope he's always going on about. Rural and "suburban" areas of Peru are very often impoverished to the point a family will eat 1 meal a day, and those meals often only include minimal portions of meat/poultry/fish or dairy products, if they're included at all.

Young men who live in metropolitan (to use the term loosely) areas of Southeast Asian and South American countries, where the people can afford food, are very often 5'6" and above. In the wealthy areas (private, gated communities for the rich), they're often even taller. I have WITNESSED this myself, as in I've actually physically been in several South American countries as well as some Southeast Asian ones.

This dumb "just go to a 3rd world country, everyone is short" meme needs to die. All the idiots on r/short and other  hole boards who parrot this often do it because they see these outdated, skewed statistics and go "what?! the average girl in the Phillipines is only 4'10"? peruvian girls, 4'11"? vietnamese girls, 5'0"???! oh man oh man, I'm buying a plane ticket RIGHT NOW!"

Then they arrive at Manila/Lima/Hanoi or whatever and the average girl is 5'3"+ and is eye level with them or above with heels on and they're like "wait what? that's not what wikipedia said!!!". It's idiotic.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »

I can understand your point of view. And I do agree that heightism is a global social issue. However immigrating to a different country in hopes for a better life isn't something new. But it has to be done right. And research into t he country you want to go..because like you said heightism doesn't disappear.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

Thatdude950

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »

It's kind of funny, in a dark way, that LLers use "family, friends, responsibilities" as a reason not to move. Then after LL they end up isolating/losing all of the above anyway. Often deliberately from the shame LL brings them and the fear of being "found out".

Moving to a new country is a great idea if you're struggling with your height. It may not work out, but it sure is at least worth a try.

Thatdude950

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »

I've never understood people who ask this question. If you're going to go this route, why don't you cut out the middle man and just move to a cabin in the middle of the woods? Or just become a shut-in and never leave your house? What problem, exactly, do you think you're solving by "moving to a shorter country"?

You do realize that taller people are still preferred in "shorter countries", right? Heightism doesn't just vanish when you cross borders.

By the way, the bit about the average man being 5'4.5" in Peru is not true, at least not the way you think it is.

That average, which I assume was taken from Wikipedia or some other source found through a quick Google search, was taken from the ENTIRE male population of the country, i.e. it includes older men and people who live in impoverished rural areas, who very often ARE malnourished, and when I say "malnourished" I don't mean like it in the sense that the poster Bruce Wayne on this forum often talks about it, like he thinks that if he had just slept more and drank 6 gallons of milk a day he'd be 6'3 or whatever idiot cope he's always going on about. Rural and "suburban" areas of Peru are very often impoverished to the point a family will eat 1 meal a day, and those meals often only include minimal portions of meat/poultry/fish or dairy products, if they're included at all.

Young men who live in metropolitan (to use the term loosely) areas of Southeast Asian and South American countries, where the people can afford food, are very often 5'6" and above. In the wealthy areas (private, gated communities for the rich), they're often even taller. I have WITNESSED this myself, as in I've actually physically been in several South American countries as well as some Southeast Asian ones.

This dumb "just go to a 3rd world country, everyone is short" meme needs to die. All the idiots on r/short and other  hole boards who parrot this often do it because they see these outdated, skewed statistics and go "what?! the average girl in the Phillipines is only 4'10"? peruvian girls, 4'11"? vietnamese girls, 5'0"???! oh man oh man, I'm buying a plane ticket RIGHT NOW!"

Then they arrive at Manila/Lima/Hanoi or whatever and the average girl is 5'3"+ and is eye level with them or above with heels on and they're like "wait what? that's not what wikipedia said!!!". It's idiotic.

What's your ethnicity?

Thatdude950

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 02:02:45 AM »

While height matters, in certain environments race can trump it re: attraction. In my opinion based on what I've seen during my travels through Asia and the Middl east over the last 10 years

Bosnian2018

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »

Theres no country where everyones short. Trust me I've traveled quite a bit. Yes the average might be +-5 inches but you will feel short if you are actually short. at 5'7" you are only short to tall people.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »

This dumb "just go to a 3rd world country, everyone is short" meme needs to die. All the idiots on r/short and other  hole boards who parrot this often do it because they see these outdated, skewed statistics and go "what?! the average girl in the Phillipines is only 4'10"? peruvian girls, 4'11"? vietnamese girls, 5'0"???! oh man oh man, I'm buying a plane ticket RIGHT NOW!"

Why do you assume that all short men who "plan to travel to countries where people are short" are like 5'3'' or lower and will be towered even by women? What about OP, who is 5'7'', or people who are like Bruce Wayne's height or even taller than 5'7''? The fact is that people in these countries are, on average, shorter so people who don't like feeling short WILL feel less short in those countries. And even if there are differences of average height between rural and urban areas (which I don't doubt), the average height being shorter is still a fact. A person migrating to, let's say, South America, will not necessarily live in a "private, gated community for the rich" and he will still meet shorter and older people, they are still a part of these countries. A country isn't only inhabited by young, rich, tall people. I don't believe anyone has ever said "just move to a third world country, everyone is short". 

I personally don't want to live in a foreign country just to feel taller. Ther are a lot of valid reasons not do so...I wouldn't want to lose my friends, relatives, girlfriend, I want to live in the country I was born in. I can make more money at home than in a country like Peru, etc. But "the average height of those countries is actually higher than Wikipedia says" is a dumb reason.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Astronomy

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »

Man immigration is never a easy thing to do.Whats more,some extremely short people are likely to be still short even in shorter countries. :'(

epikness

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »

It is rather easier to get a surgery and potentially have problems down the road than to forget all your old friends and culture in your original country just to feel 'taller'. Personally I would never do that even if I was short.

Canon

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 07:04:56 PM »

Because i have a good job here. Other countries don't have high living standards like Europe in my case.

short

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

Stupidest question i have ever heard.

"Why don't people just move from a first world to a third world country?"

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 03:23:35 PM »

@Bruce Waynee

Even your favorite intellectual can't handle ya
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »

Lol, ghkid. Spot on.
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 11:19:59 PM »

I can tell you from personal experience that living in a shorter country does help. In my home country, the average male height is 178 cm; I never felt short there. Now I live in a city where the average male height is almost 184 cm. At work, there are only two guys shorter than me (I’m 180 cm, by the way), and both of them are already in their 50s.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:15:36 AM by NotSoBigBadBruin »

Hagane

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:59 PM »

I can tell you from personal experience that living in a shorter country does help. In my home country, the average male height is 178 cm; I never felt short there. Now I live in a city where the average male height is almost 184 cm. At work, there are only two guys shorter than me (I’m 180 cm, by the way), and both of them are already in their late 50s.

do you plan to stay in your current city? or do you plan on going back to your home country at some point?
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

Hagane

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »

imho id rather break both my legs than move away from friends and family
gained  55.55mm

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 12:34:45 AM »

Even though it sucks to be 180 cm in a place where most guys my age are > 185 cm, I don’t want to go back. I have a beautiful wife and kid, and we all feel comfortable living here. But I’m pretty sure I could get my obsession with height under control if we moved to a country where the average male height is between 175 and 178 cm.

Hagane

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »

Even though it sucks to be 180 cm in a place where most guys my age are between 185 and 190 cm, I don’t want to go back. I have a beautiful wife and kid, and we all feel comfortable living here. But I’m pretty sure I could get my obsession with height under control if we moved to a country where the average male height is between 175 and 178 cm.

hey at least you are in a good place! im sure relocating would be a bit harder with factors keeping you in your current country. i think the big advantage you have is you already got the happy family so its not like your doing it for extrinsic factors like love life. youre just doing it for yourself.

have you talked to your wife about your height neurosis? what did she think?
gained  55.55mm

Tengo

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 01:23:42 AM »

Moving to a shorter country will certainly ease the pain but the problem will probs persist. I travelled to vietnam where I'm a few cms taller than the average but it was still pointed out that I'm short because I'm not Vietnamese and they know I'm below average height given where I'm from. Still it does help and you have better chances to gain respect.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 04:44:12 AM »

Dis the stupidest shiet Eva. Why not move to fukin pygmie tribe while ur at it. Why not move to a 4th world country from a 1st world also. Just fulkk urself up ya 😂 learn a whole aass language tooo

User requested self-ban.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »

hey at least you are in a good place! im sure relocating would be a bit harder with factors keeping you in your current country. i think the big advantage you have is you already got the happy family so its not like your doing it for extrinsic factors like love life. youre just doing it for yourself.

have you talked to your wife about your height neurosis? what did she think?

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes, I’d certainly do it only because of my own vanity. I don’t have any real disadvantages because of my height.

I haven’t talked to her yet because I’m still trying to figure out if I really want to do CLL. If I were single, I’d do it immediately, but I also need to think about what’s best for my family.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 07:30:46 AM »

Even though it sucks to be 180 cm in a place where most guys my age are > 185 cm, I don’t want to go back. I have a beautiful wife and kid, and we all feel comfortable living here. But I’m pretty sure I could get my obsession with height under control if we moved to a country where the average male height is between 175 and 178 cm.

if u was single w/o kids u wud love it in america

User requested self-ban.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up