Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How Did People React When They Saw You Were Taller?  (Read 23804 times)

ChrisIsaak

How Did People React When They Saw You Were Taller?
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »

A question for the LL-veterans...

How did people react when they saw you were taller?

Did they notice the change?

Did they say that you've lost weight? Or anything else?

How did people who knew you did LL react? What about people who didn't know?

Do you notice any changes when you walk up a crowded street? What about any changes in the way people treat you?

Comments are appreciated!

* Please indicate starting height & final height.

Sweden

Re: How Did People React When They Saw You Were Taller?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »

173-180.

People laughed at me mostly.

Only time I've experienced a positive attitude is when I'm at parties meeting new people.
They show me more respect really.

Last party I was at was great. They thought I was the King.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »

I actually find it very sad that people laughed at you. I've been telling almost all of my friends, close or distant, during the past 5 years that I would do LL someday. Last week I met a very old friend after 3 years, and he told me that he was afraid that I had done LL, and would meet him wobbling, unable to walk. Then I told him the big news - only 1 week left for surgery!

The reaction from relatives is frustrating though. It makes me utterly angry. I'm fed up with hearing "Why don't you love yourself?", a foolish assumption based on thinking that insecurity and self-hatred has led me the decision to do LL. On the contrary, I believe that I am doing good for myself. I would rather be judged about a decision I made myself, than a condition (being short) that I had no say upon. I won't torture myself with living the life of a short man. I did that for 22 years, I've had enough of the bad quality of life. True, maybe I should take more things for granted. But I'd rather have my family back me up 100% about this decision than keep whining about it and still hoping me to change my mind. I mean, it's a sad sight. It's already a hard decision, and I made it 5 years ago. My aunt still asks me "If I'm excited". Why should I be? I'm tired, fed up, frustrated of the life I've lived. I'll leave the excitement part post-op.

"Be at peace with yourself." Ha. What a gem. Be at peace with myself and lie to myself? I'm way too honest to do that. It's a disappointing attitude. Not problem solving, but further problem-making. Building barriers with fear. Acceptance of inadequacy. Typical bull  Eastern way of thinking. God I miss the West.

Blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »

How tall are you Chris?

I am in my early 30s.  I wish I would have done LL when I was your age.

I am not telling anyone about this surgery because I don't want to hear anyone's bull .

Daylight

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:58:43 AM »

173-180.

People laughed at me mostly.

Only time I've experienced a positive attitude is when I'm at parties meeting new people.
They show me more respect really.

Last party I was at was great. They thought I was the King.
WTF man?? They laugh at your walking or they know that you have lengthened your legs? How could one enjoy a new height knowing that all of his friends or acquaintances talking   about his new height!?

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:42 AM »

How tall are you Chris?

I am in my early 30s.  I wish I would have done LL when I was your age.

I am not telling anyone about this surgery because I don't want to hear anyone's bull .

Hey Blackhawk,

I am 165 cm (5'5). I hope to become 173 cm ( 5'8 ).

Did you have LL surgery done, or are you still waiting?

Best,
Chris

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 02:49:45 AM »

A question for the LL-veterans...

How did people react when they saw you were taller?

Did they notice the change?

Did they say that you've lost weight? Or anything else?

How did people who knew you did LL react? What about people who didn't know?

Do you notice any changes when you walk up a crowded street? What about any changes in the way people treat you?

Comments are appreciated!

* Please indicate starting height & final height.

I had two tall uncles (probably about 5'11 and 6'1) who didn't know I had LL.  I didn't see them very often.  When they saw me after LL they just asked me when I started to grow tall.  They just assumed I had a late growth spurt and finally was around the same height as them.

Most of my family knew I had LL though, so nothing came as a surprise to them.  Since they knew about LL they just didn't say anything.  If they wondered why I was taller, they'd soon remember I had LL and wouldn't feel the need to ask about my height increase.  Nobody was curious about it or interested in it.  The biggest question I got about LL was what part of China I had been to.  One of my aunts bumped me in the leg with a big shopping bag and was horrified and apologetic, but I told her that was regular bone now and not to worry.

I never had to deal with someone seeing me at 5'7 then seeing me at 5'10 a few months later with a bunch of questions.  I think LL is for people who are unhappy with their life and want a new life for themselves.  That was me, that's what I wanted, and that's what I got.  I don't know why a happy person that wants to go back to their old life would get LL.  You'll get laughed at like Sweden did.

Blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:55:42 AM »

Hey Blackhawk,

I am 165 cm (5'5). I hope to become 173 cm ( 5'8 ).

Did you have LL surgery done, or are you still waiting?

Best,
Chris

I just started a masters program and won't be finished for a couple years.  I plan on doing LL when I am finished in mid to late 2015.

I discovered the old forum about 7 years ago but quickly dismissed LL as an option.  I wish I would have considered it sooner.

When I am finished with school I will take a year off work to "travel".  I am thinking about moving back to where I grew up after LL.  Most of the people I grew up with haven't seen me in over 10 years.  It won't be an issue if I am 3 inches taller.  My family will probably notice.  I will see them maybe 1 or 2 times before doing LL so I will probably wear some lifts so the height isn't as noticeable.  I am 167 and would love to be 180 but I think if I do 2 surgeries it everyone will know. 

Smallguy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »

Hey,

I did LL with Dr. Sarin in early 2013, just one week after sweden. No one laughed at me after I came back. The reaction I received was more like, "WTF," and they are mostly from the short guys at my company. Being short we unconsciously compare our height among ourselves, so when one of us becomes taller, the other feel like they have shrunk and the feeling is more like one of resentment than of appreciation. One of the short men at my company who has a big ego and who is short is the vice president of one of the divisions at my company. I remember last year we had a quarterly meeting and all the employees attend. My company is mostly consist of white male who are taller than 5'11. And the VP, who was 5'7, was surrounded by these guys, so he was looking out for me. I was 5'6, so I went to stand next to him. That made him feel much better. Unfortunately, now I came back taller, he looked a little bit shocked to see me. It was not about me. I don't think there is any idea in his mind that I became taller but that he felt he probably shrunk.

Also, only the short people pays attention to other's people height. Most tall people really don't care or even notice that I became taller. I went from 5'6 (169) to 5'9 (176-177) and this is still below average. It's brutal being short. All the short people don't want other short people to be taller than they are. And the short guys are usually the most ruthless.

So having gone through with LL and despite all the complications with the procedure, I feel that it would be one of the best decisions I have made for myself in my life. So my goal now would be, no sexx, no drinks, no playing around... until I save enough money for my next LL femur project.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:59:27 AM by Smallguy »
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Sweden

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »

I think they find it funny just the fact that I'm taller now. It is not my close friends. They just want to understand the entire process.

People will know. They will speak of you behind your back and most of them will feel sorry for you bc they think you don't love yourself as stated above.

I can't say that I can enjoy my new life really. I can't run, I can't do Taekwondo, almost everything is a bit of a struggle. What's the fun in that?

It would be nice to see a video of what you can and can't do Smallguy, since you are just a week behind me and suffered like you did. The mornings have to be a total bitch for you.

If I compare myself to Stevie on old forum  who is 3 or 5 months ahead of me I can do more than him and more intense.

Smallguy

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »

I think they find it funny just the fact that I'm taller now. It is not my close friends. They just want to understand the entire process.

People will know. They will speak of you behind your back and most of them will feel sorry for you bc they think you don't love yourself as stated above.

I can't say that I can enjoy my new life really. I can't run, I can't do Taekwondo, almost everything is a bit of a struggle. What's the fun in that?

It would be nice to see a video of what you can and can't do Smallguy, since you are just a week behind me and suffered like you did. The mornings have to be a total bitch for you.

If I compare myself to Stevie on old forum  who is 3 or 5 months ahead of me I can do more than him and more intense.

How do people know that you have done LL without you telling them? How is your proportion? Does it look revealing?

For me, I started out a short pair of tibias. Even at my farewell party, my tibias looks normal compare to other people's really long tibias and some people lengthen only 6-7cm. I had 8cm lengthenSo now, the only thing that reveals me are my tibias scars. They looked awfull and it's obvious that I had my legs done.

For sure, tomorrow I will go to the gym and record a video of what I can do and can't do. I can basically walk around like a normal people, do 60 minutes of intense steps exercises and do other weight training... can bend, squat, kick and do a little bit of hopping. But I haven't try running or jumping until I get my orthopaedic to look at my x-ray next month.

I will send you the link privately as my gym is very popular here and there may be people there viewing the video. Cheers.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Sweden

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »

Thank you. I would appreciate it very much.

Metanoia

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »

Hello Sweden,

wouldn't you say that you were misinformed when you decided to do ll? And if yes, wasn't the main source of misinformation old forum ?

alps

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »

What? He walks completely normally now. He seems to have recovered fully.
How do you say you have recovered better than him?

alps

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »

So having gone through with LL and despite all the complications with the procedure, I feel that it would be one of the best decisions I have made for myself in my life. So my goal now would be, no sexx, no drinks, no playing around... until I save enough money for my next LL femur project.

What complications have you now?

Smallguy

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 03:25:04 AM »

Thank you. I would appreciate it very much.

Hey Sweden,

So here is my video. For those who don't know me, let me explain my story. I had LL in early 2013, just one week after Sweden. I took 3 months off from work to come to India to complete this process with Dr. Sarin. Unfortunately, 3 months became 6 months due to all the complications. Firstly, my knee couldn't bend, then it became infected. After 4 months, my left tibia bone consolidated so it had to be rebroken but I was left with a huge discrepancy. My right leg was 4cm longer than my left. My left was only at 3cm. Some people told me that I should just quit and have Dr. Sarin shorten my right leg to become 3cm and take off the frame at 3cm. But I was stubborn. So I spent the final month of May (after 5 months), 28 days to be exact, and lengthen my left leg at 2mm per day. I came into the operation room on May 28 and had the frame removed with both legs at 8cm. The day I went to the hospital, Sweden was also in the car to go back home.

Now I can walk again.... with no pain and no longer have any calf stiffness in the morning.

Sorry for the bad video quality. I was rushing and this was also my first time posting a video. Please don't disclose.

1. I usually start out my exercise routine by going to the bone density machine and stand there for at least 90 seconds while it vibrates. The instruction said this would help to consolidate the bone.
2. Next, I go to the punching bag to show Sweden that I can do round-house kick. I can kick up to shoulder height. I also realized after this video that I can also do spinning back kick. The only kick I can't do at this moment is flying (3-4 meters) side kick.
3. I proceed to the calf machine. Here I can stretch out the calf muscle and the tendon. Standing on this for at least 3 minutes daily will help you get rid of ballerina.
4. Then I did a little bit of arm curl and went to the steps. I normally exercise at medium high speed for at least 30 minutes on this machine.
5. After I went to the treadmill. I realized that I could do light jogging at 4.2 miles per hour. I also do some leg pressing, over 250lbs.
6. Finally, I did some light jogging for a little portion across the gym.

I agree with Sweden. It would be difficult to compete at Tae Kwon Do level. I would be too slow to react to some of these guys in my weight category. You would need to at least be able to sprint, dash forward and backward and have good balance to fight against another person in Tae Kwon Do.

At this moment, I work full-time. So being able to move around is already good enough. But say later, if my orthopaedic surgeon says that my bones are strong enough, then I would consider training for sprinting or for Tae Kwon Do physical agility.

BilateralDamage

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:20 AM »

Thanks for the video Smallguy!  Is the bone density machine doing you good?  I've never seen that at a gym before.

Sweden

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 06:24:23 AM »

What? He walks completely normally now. He seems to have recovered fully.
How do you say you have recovered better than him?

Do you really think I'm going to settle for a life where I only can walk?

I find it very sad if you see a person fully recovered if he walks well. There is so much more to it than just walking.
I've been walking very good now for almost 2.5 months. Doesn't feel like I'm improving but hopefully I do.

I can easily say I've passed his recovery level bc I've seen his video.
I am working on a good video. You'll see.
That doesn't mean I've now recovered fully. I mean it when I say I'm only at ~40% of what I used to be.

--------------------

Mime: hard to say. Not sure I was misinformed but understanding a bit more about ballerina wouldn't hurt.
Everything is just in there in the fog of old forum . I'm thinking of writing a full report on how to get rid of ballerina and prevent it for future patients. Mine was severe!!

---------------------

Smallguy: Well, I'm glad to see you up and walking with the mobility you have. I know you suffered a lot in India.
You've recovered better than most us could ever imagine.
About the video. Thank you for taking the effort of showing us. And you gym looks like something only professional athletes have access to here in Sweden and then you have to take yourself to Stockholm.
I can say that I'm way ahead of you in regards of recovery if what you've shown was even the slightest difficult for you.
It's no competition and I'm not disrespecting you. Again, I'm amazed you recovered like you did.

I guess I have a different view of what an acceptable recovery really is.
Where I do my Taekwondo we have our own physical therapist and sports doctor. Doing tests with them has shown that I'm around ~40% of what I used to be and I feel it myself.
My 40% maybe could be someone else's 90%.

I could do backflips, aerial kicks, 540 and 720 spinning kicks and almost every gymnastic moves there is.
I can't do anything of that today.

I'm going to go to the gym now and record little of what I do.

Happy to see you in that condition instead of the way I did last time :)

Smallguy

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

---------------------

Smallguy: Well, I'm glad to see you up and walking with the mobility you have. I know you suffered a lot in India.
You've recovered better than most us could ever imagine.
About the video. Thank you for taking the effort of showing us. And you gym looks like something only professional athletes have access to here in Sweden and then you have to take yourself to Stockholm.
I can say that I'm way ahead of you in regards of recovery if what you've shown was even the slightest difficult for you.
It's no competition and I'm not disrespecting you. Again, I'm amazed you recovered like you did.

I guess I have a different view of what an acceptable recovery really is.
Where I do my Taekwondo we have our own physical therapist and sports doctor. Doing tests with them has shown that I'm around ~40% of what I used to be and I feel it myself.
My 40% maybe could be someone else's 90%.

I could do backflips, aerial kicks, 540 and 720 spinning kicks and almost every gymnastic moves there is.
I can't do anything of that today.

I'm going to go to the gym now and record little of what I do.

Happy to see you in that condition instead of the way I did last time :)

My city is a very nice place to live. The weather is very similar to Zurich of Swiss, where it is never too cold nor not hot. We have the mountain, the lake, the beach and everything. We also have one of the best skiing resorts in the world. If you have the chance, feel free to drop by!

Oh yah, I wasn't expecting to show off anything in the video. At most, I only want to show that I can jog lightly on the treadmill.

I don't think I can ever reach your standard of recovery.. to do backflip or aerial kick. But if you expect to do these things again, it will take time.

Yeah, the last time we met was brutal. My legs looked all chopped up. Thanks.

If you can record what you can do, that will be great. Cheers.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:54:48 AM by Smallguy »

Smallguy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »

Hey Bilateral,

Honestly, I can't tell. There is no way to measure the effectiveness of the machine. But after the buzz, I do feel my balance is a lot better and my feet also feels more stabilize to the ground.

When will you do your LL?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:43:29 AM by Smallguy »

ZaynKhan

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »

Hey Sweden, i know this may sound really trivial and stupid, but i strongly suggest you try looking up an herbal supplement that supports and promotes bone strength. There are a lot of really good ayurvedic medicines out there that work wonders. I have had several other personal issues for years that were completely solved with taking herbal medicines

BilateralDamage

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 04:22:59 AM »

Smallguy,

Having my procedure done May 2014.  I'm extremely excited to have it done, and am already counting down the days!

ZaynKhan,

I'm a little interested in that ayurvedic medicine you're mentioning.  Please list any ingredients or supplements you know of that we can find online.  Thanks.

Blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »

Hey BD,

Which doctor did you choose?

Good luck!!

Sweden

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »

Hey Sweden, i know this may sound really trivial and stupid, but i strongly suggest you try looking up an herbal supplement that supports and promotes bone strength. There are a lot of really good ayurvedic medicines out there that work wonders. I have had several other personal issues for years that were completely solved with taking herbal medicines

But my bones are healed up now.

I made a short video yesterday and tomorrow I'll try to make better one. Post it later.

krin0610

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »

But my bones are healed up now.

I made a short video yesterday and tomorrow I'll try to make better one. Post it later.

Just want to say big thanks to Sweden and other veterans like Smallguy, you make us stronger!!!

Sweden

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »

This is what I recorded the other day:

I can push harder, maybe "130". It's at "90". I was at "60" in November.

krin0610

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

This is what I recorded the other day:

I can push harder, maybe "130". It's at "90". I was at "60" in November.

Toooo strong buddy, would say you are fully recovered man!!!

Keep it up and stay strong!

Tx

Sweden

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »

I know you mean well and thank you, but it bothers me a lot when readers think anyone has fully recovered. There is so much else to it than just squatting or jumping around.

I am still only at 40% of what I used to be. Every morning aches. Sometimes more, sometimes less. The really bad days I have to stand up for an entire minute just to let blood flow through the legs. I have to use my hands to sit down and climb furniture to get up.
Both ankles hurt almost every day and the right one can be extreme when I press it real bad.
Right now I can barely walk bc my right ankle is hurting too much from the workout I just did.

Here is another video from the gym:

It's a new record for me.
I also ran about 350meters so I think it's getting better but it is really far from what it used to be - REALLY far.
I'm not sure I will fully recover this year, but I will try real hard to make it.

Blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »

Sweden,

I can understand why your knees would hurt.

Why do you think your ankles hurt so much?  Do the soft tissues need to heal more, is it where the pins were, or something else?

Sweden

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »

The ankles hurt bc of ballerina. They are too tight for normal function, especially my right.

I can barely lift my feet up to 88 degrees.

Smallguy

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:52 AM »

The ankles hurt bc of ballerina. They are too tight for normal function, especially my right.

I can barely lift my feet up to 88 degrees.

Nice video, Sweden. If you can hop on that bench without falling backward, you are definitely ahead of me in terms of recovery. But I will catch up with you. In 1.5 month, I will post another video of my exercise routine!

Are you moving around enough? My roommate said that when you're idle for a long period of time and return to working out, you will feel pain in your body. I exercise every single day because I have to study for an exam and I study while I'm at the gym. I also work full-time at the office. My roommate said that I burn acid in my body every day so that's why I don't feel pain.

Also, I never do weight lifting for my lower body. I only do cardio exercise for my legs and weight training for my upper body. My roommate said weight-training will put a lot of stress on your bones and muscle, and thus, cause you to have pain.

Anyway, I will also share with you the supplements I'm taking daily.

100mg of resverage resveratrol - anti aging (lol)
10mg life extension pqq - anti aging (lol again)
CoQ10 - antioxidant
Jarrow NAC sustain - antioxidant
Some premium brand hydrolic acid - for joint and tissue recovery

And you ask me about this before, Life Extension Melatonin, for sleeping aid.

I also drink almond milk and consume some premium brand of protein shake on a daily basis for lunch and breakfast. I only eat one full meal during supper. In the evening time, I also drink some smoothie. My goal is to eat a lot of alkaline base forming food and be gluten free.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up