Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Height Shrunk After LL Surgery  (Read 20114 times)

Carter

Height Shrunk After LL Surgery
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »

Sweden just posted

I just don't know really what else to say than just what I found out today. I'm very upset, angry, sad.

I went to my doctor today for a spirometer test. They have to measure your height to get accurate results.
I did the same test last year and was confirmed 173cm. I have measured myself to 173 lots of times. Only 172 a few times.

Today I found out that I am only 177,6cm. I was devastated, and still am. At the orthopedic center I was confirmed just about 180cm.
Back home I've measured myself a couple of zillion times and got 179 and 180 - all of the times.

I went back to the orthopedic center and just walked right to the measure tool. Exactly the same, 177,6cm.
I measured myself now back home just seconds ago. I am 177,6cm.

How the hell did this happen??? Everything looks fine with the screws and nail and everything. I have gained only 4,5cm. The doctors measured the gap in my bones to a little bit more than 7cm. I turned the device 7,4cm.

Don't know more what to say. I'm out of the 180-club  Embarrassed

I was 173 before, no question about it. Absolutely minimum 172cm.

I'm doing femurs when I'm healed up from my 4,5cm gain, that's for sure now. "

limberman also posted
I have the same problem.  Was 176,3(cmeasured height by a doctor) did 7,7(xray confirmed) and I am around 181.  Seems like tibia lengthening does not give the height the bone was lengthened.  I still try to calm the nerves down and blame it on spinal curve but your thread seems to seal the deal I guess.

Since no other member actually measured himself so I just don't know.  Had I know it will turn out like that I would never undergo it

What do you guys think?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Height Shrunk After LL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:06:50 AM »

I have no idea what happened to these guys.  I didn't experience any height loss.  I got my 3 inches and kept it.

Russianblues

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:27:47 AM »

The first patient measured 2.5cm lower than what he should have. After that Harry took the measuring tape and told the caretakers no one was allowed to be measured.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:38 AM »

The first patient measured 2.5cm lower than what he should have. After that Harry took the measuring tape and told the caretakers no one was allowed to be measured.

What?? I dont understand.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:42:45 AM »

That's awful.  Sorry to say it but the patients of these cheap Indian LL doctors seem to be getting what they paid for.  :-\

Wannabegiant

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:24:48 AM »

So what does that mean, that the doctor tricked the patients into believing they lengthened more than they did? why would they not allow them to measure themselves anytime they want, makes no sense.

Smallguy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »

So what does that mean, that the doctor tricked the patients into believing they lengthened more than they did? why would they not allow them to measure themselves anytime they want, makes no sense.

There are many reasons. One is the former x-ray measurement was overly optimistic. Two, the patient measured themselves wrong. Three, the bone contracted due to the cheap device. That's my speculation but there could be other reason.

That's why in India, my roommate and I always adjust the x-ray measurement by minus .5-.8cm to lower our expectation. That's why I choose 8cm. 8cm is 3.1 inches and my goal was increase by 3 inches.

The patient's discrepancy of 2.5cm is quite significant. That is close to 1 month of lengthening if you only go at 1mm per day.

And it seems that Harry is putting in charge at Sangari's guesthouse. That didn't happen to me at Sarin. I can always bring my case to Sarin.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »

There are many reasons. One is the former x-ray measurement was overly optimistic. Two, the patient measured themselves wrong. Three, the bone contracted due to the cheap device. That's my speculation but there could be other reason.

That's why in India, my roommate and I always adjust the x-ray measurement by minus .5-.8cm to lower our expectation. That's why I choose 8cm. 8cm is 3.1 inches and my goal was increase by 3 inches.

The patient's discrepancy of 2.5cm is quite significant. That is close to 1 month of lengthening if you only go at 1mm per day.

And it seems that Harry is putting in charge at Sangari's guesthouse. That didn't happen to me at Sarin. I can always bring my case to Sarin.

Can the bone contract during consolidation phase? i thought that was impossible unless you fractured it again, since the "outer shell" of the bone should be solid already pretty soon after lengthening, is this inaccurate?

Also i figured that it was the doctor that measured the x-rays, so that it is done accurately, had no idea that this was the patients responsibility.

Doflamingo

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

It might be possible due the compression in his legs before being 100% healed, but what about the rods inside his legs? How is this even possible?
My guess is the compression in his spine, give it a week rest and I'm pretty sure he'll be back at where he was 180.
Maybe he should take an x ray of his legs and confirm how much it has actually been lengthened.

Sweden

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »

I measured myself at the orthopedic center back in August. I was just about 180cm tall. In some of the measurements I was 179 and that was fine by me.

I have now measured myself constantly and I am no more than 178cm tall. So, 5'10 and not 5'11 anymore. My dream height is 6 feet.

The gap in my x-rays I had in Sweden said a little more than 7cm of lengthening.

With my sneakers on I am 181,5cm.

----------------

If I would do my femurs and go back to my old life I would be totally ridiculed.

This is a very difficult decision.
I don't know really what to do. Maybe I should just leave it like it is.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »

If I would do my femurs and go back to my old life I would be totally ridiculed.

This is a very difficult decision.
I don't know really what to do. Maybe I should just leave it like it is.

how about doing a quick one on femur?
I mean if you do just 4 cm, you will not only reach your goal but you can return much faster to life and people will just think it was a casual vacation.
Also they won't notice the 4 cm increase too much and won't ridicule you.

4 cm in femurs with internal like g-nail, i mean u could probably be back walking in 2 months time.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Sweden

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »

Haha. I did 7,4 in India and gained 5cm  ;D
Doing 4cm maybe makes me gain 1cm....

No kidding. I've been thinking about that and use external on femurs for a very small gain as my room mate did in India but I'm just not sure.

If I go to Dr Guichet I will do 7/7,5cm to get some bang for the buck.

I can already see that my legs are a little on the long side.
We are all proportionate if we don't suffer from some kind of disease so gaining 7cm on tibias will make your legs look long in some positions.
If I do another 6-7cm I could end up like a freak.

That's why 4cm is a good and healthy idea.

Maybe I'll go with the HLN for 6cm.
Then I'll be like 182something after I've shrunk from that......
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »

It might be possible due the compression in his legs before being 100% healed, but what about the rods inside his legs? How is this even possible?
My guess is the compression in his spine, give it a week rest and I'm pretty sure he'll be back at where he was 180.
Maybe he should take an x ray of his legs and confirm how much it has actually been lengthened.

It's not.  There's no way the bone is going to compress like that with an IM nail inside it.

Claude

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »

Sweden is the freaking Houdini of LL  8)
He will do 20 cm and then it will end up being 2 cm.
Thats called "Sweden Magic".

Doflamingo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »

It's not.  There's no way the bone is going to compress like that with an IM nail inside it.
thought so.

Smallguy

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 01:05:57 AM »

Can the bone contract during consolidation phase? i thought that was impossible unless you fractured it again, since the "outer shell" of the bone should be solid already pretty soon after lengthening, is this inaccurate?

Also i figured that it was the doctor that measured the x-rays, so that it is done accurately, had no idea that this was the patients responsibility.

I was referring to the patient who lost 2.5cm in the message. He still has the frame on and it was a common theme at the guesthouse that you could lose height if you put pressure on your tibias. As the result, my 2nd roommate and I lay in bed for the entire duration of the lengthening phase. My 3rd roommate lost 2cm and I advised him to stop standing up. Some people may disagree. Even the doctor and the physio will tell you to stand up to improve your callus formation. But we had our own opinion and figure it would be better to get the length asap, have the frame off and then focus on recovering. Living for 4-5 months with those metal frames around your legs, with the pins sticking out of your flesh, were like being tortured in hell.

After being screwed over a few times, I developed my own common sense and be my own semi-doctor. Even when I had the frames removed, I was careful not to put too pressure on my legs, fearing the rod may bend or even my bone bending. Common sense also dictates me that I focused mainly on cardio exercises for the past 6 months, until last week, I want to prove to Sweden that I could lift those weights.

As for Sweden, I don't know. I had a feeling that he was overly optimistic in the final x-ray, which was the one taken after frame removal. I will keep this to myself :D Plus, in the early phase, you need to take into account of ballerina when you measure yourself. Of course, your height will be less as your heel becomes flat to the floor.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:23:40 AM by Smallguy »
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:38 AM »

I was referring to the patient who lost 2.5cm in the message. He still has the frame on and it was a common theme at the guesthouse that you could lose height if you put pressure on your tibias. As the result, my 2nd roommate and I lay in bed for the entire duration of the lengthening phase. My 3rd roommate lost 2cm and I advised him to stop standing up. Some people may disagree. Even the doctor and the physio will tell you to stand up to improve your callus formation. But we had our own opinion and figure it would be better to get the length asap, have the frame off and then focus on recovering. Living for 4-5 months with those metal frames around your legs, with the pins sticking out of your flesh, were like being tortured in hell.

After being screwed over a few times, I developed my own common sense and be my own semi-doctor. Even when I had the frames removed, I was careful not to put too pressure on my legs, fearing the rod may bend or even my bone bending. Common sense also dictates me that I focused mainly on cardio exercises for the past 6 months, until last week, I want to prove to Sweden that I could lift those weights.

As for Sweden, I don't know. I had a feeling that he was overly optimistic in the final x-ray, which was the one taken after frame removal. I will keep this to myself :D Plus, in the early phase, you need to take into account of ballerina when you measure yourself. Of course, your height will be less as your heel becomes flat to the floor.

I thought you could get pin bending from standing with the frames on during lengthening phase, not actually lose height. And if you got pin bending the leg wouldnt actually have been lengthened so you turn more to fix that, but you dont really lose height, or am i missing something?

Also im not sure how to measure myself in those x-rays, i mean I suppose to be accurate you need to stand up and measure vertically, but are the scans in scale 1:1? I hope i can trust the doctor that i actually lengthened the right ammount when im done..

and ballerina foot wont be much of a problem for me as im lengthening 4 cms only.

Smallguy

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:24 AM »

I thought you could get pin bending from standing with the frames on during lengthening phase, not actually lose height. And if you got pin bending the leg wouldnt actually have been lengthened so you turn more to fix that, but you dont really lose height, or am i missing something?

Also im not sure how to measure myself in those x-rays, i mean I suppose to be accurate you need to stand up and measure vertically, but are the scans in scale 1:1? I hope i can trust the doctor that i actually lengthened the right ammount when im done..

and ballerina foot wont be much of a problem for me as im lengthening 4 cms only.

I hope we are on the same page. Yes, your leg is lengthened. If you distract say, 7cm, then your leg is technically longer by 7cm because the gap where the bone is broken is widen by 7cm. Some people would say that would not be an accurate reflection of your height because you are not standing up. But I'm not going into that sort of detail. I say give or take 7cm.

Because the pin and the frame are not perfect, it won't be able to bear your full weight. When the patient has say, 7cm, and he stands up, his full weight compresses down on the metal frame that holds the tibias together and bending the pin. And when the pin bends, it compresses down on the gap. Thus, the patient loses the 7cm. That's my idea. And I have witness many patients who have lost height (or the gap) this way.

Why this gap is so important? Because your gain is only millimeters per day. Sometime you have stay for 4 months for 8cm if you're lucky. And every day when you wear the metal frame, it's a living hell. The pin constantly cuts through your flesh. You feel all sort of pain. And it's highly comfortable to sleep with. The pain of external LL is the worst. Patients fail to achieve their desirable gain, not because of surgical complications... Most of the time, you can wait out your complications. For example, if you have nerve issue like Asoka or lack of callus, you can wait out until your nerve comes back or your callus is better formed... but patient fail because they cannot bear the pain. So my idea is to lengthen asap and achieve your desirable height. That's what you come there for in the first place. Then once the frame is removed, then you can focus on your recovery.

I know a lot of guys who have never experienced LL will disagree with me on this one. They would say, long term recovery is just as equally important as height gain. If you rush you risk damaging your soft tissue, etc But if every day of your life has been a living hell for the past 4 months, the pin is cutting through your flesh and giving you constant pain... and you already paid a fortune for this surgery, then I say it's okay to try to get your goal achieved quickly and get this over with.

This was my experience in India.

There is no accurate way to measure your gap using the Indian x-ray. I usually minus 5mm just in case. The x-ray at Sarin's hospital is more high tech. He uses that one to determine how much the patient has gained. That was the one that I and Sweden were used to determine how much we gained. I don't know how Sangari's patient or other doctors measure their patient.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:09:16 AM by Smallguy »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:37 AM »

I hope we are on the same page. Yes, your leg is lengthened. If you distract say, 7cm, then your leg is technically longer by 7cm because the gap where the bone is broken is widen by 7cm. Some people would say that would not be an accurate reflection of your height because you are not standing up. But I'm not going into that sort of detail. I say give or take 7cm.

Because the pin and the frame are not perfect, it won't be able to bear your full weight. When the patient has say, 7cm, and he stands up, his full weight compresses down on the metal frame that holds the tibias together and bending the pin. And when the pin bends, it compresses down on the gap. Thus, the patient loses the 7cm. That's my idea. And I have witness many patients who have lost height (or the gap) this way.

Why this gap is so important? Because your gain is only millimeters per day. Sometime you have stay for 4 months for 8cm if you're lucky. And every day when you wear the metal frame, it's a living hell. The pin constantly cuts through your flesh. You feel all sort of pain. And it's highly comfortable to sleep with. The pain of external LL is the worst. Patients fail to achieve their desirable gain, not because of surgical complications... Most of the time, you can wait out your complications. For example, if you have nerve issue like Asoka or lack of callus, you can wait out until your nerve comes back or your callus is better formed... but patient fail because they cannot bear the pain. So my idea is to lengthen asap and achieve your desirable height. That's what you come there for in the first place. Then once the frame is removed, then you can focus on your recovery.

I know a lot of guys who have never experienced LL will disagree with me on this one. They would say, long term recovery is just as equally important as height gain. If you rush you risk damaging your soft tissue, etc But if every day of your life has been a living hell for the past 4 months, the pin is cutting through your flesh and giving you constant pain... and you already paid a fortune for this surgery, then I say it's okay to try to get your goal achieved quickly and get this over with.

This was my experience in India.

There is no accurate way to measure your gap using the Indian x-ray. I usually minus 5mm just in case. The x-ray at Sarin's hospital is more high tech. He uses that one to determine how much the patient has gained. That was the one that I and Sweden were used to determine how much we gained. I don't know how Sangari's patient or other doctors measure their patient.

To be honest i agree with you, I also would prefer to get it done as soon as possible (lengthening fast with double cut) so i can return home as fast as possible even if it means i will take a bit longer to recover 100% in terms of nerves and soft tissue.

If standing up reduces the risk of the gap closing from the body weight, then i will probably lay in bed for most of the lengthening phase. In my case only lengthening 4 cms means i wouldnt have to lay in bed for that long, so i probably wont lose to much muscle strenght anyway.

But arent the external frames supposed to be stable enought to keep the bones steady in place, preserving the gap? I guess there is some sort of weight limit that it can withstand. I weight like 64 Kilos only so they should be able to hold that weight without losing height gain.

But after lengthening phase is over, and you are in consolidation phase, is there still a risk of losing height by just standing up and walking? I cant imagine having to lay down for like 4 months total, i cant think of any other patients that did that. I mean during consolidation phase I assume there would already be solid callus on the outer part of the bones, keeping the bone from compressing, while the inner part of the bone keeps healing until it is strong enough to carry the body weight again without the frame.

Not sure if we are on the same page, maybe i misunderstood you.

But Dr. Mirzoyan unlike those indian doctors, has a set price per cm, so if you pay him for a certain length it should be his responsibility to assure the patient he got the height he paid for, at least thats what im going to tell him when i meet him.

Moubgf

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »

haha sweden speaks to confidently about the procedure, inb4 amputation xD (jk)

Smallguy

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »

But arent the external frames supposed to be stable enought to keep the bones steady in place, preserving the gap? I guess there is some sort of weight limit that it can withstand. I weight like 64 Kilos only so they should be able to hold that weight without losing height gain.

No, they're not. The external frames all have a weight limit. But even if you are under the weight limit, they do compress to a certain extend depending on your weight. But my only experience has been with Dr. Sarin's external frame.

But even if you do lose height during your lengthening phase, you can still make up for it. It just means you have to make up for your lost.

But after lengthening phase is over, and you are in consolidation phase, is there still a risk of losing height by just standing up and walking? I cant imagine having to lay down for like 4 months total, i cant think of any other patients that did that. I mean during consolidation phase I assume there would already be solid callus on the outer part of the bones, keeping the bone from compressing, while the inner part of the bone keeps healing until it is strong enough to carry the body weight again without the frame.

I don't know. I haven't heard of such thing until I saw Sweden's post. But I do think the x-ray taken at the privat hospital where we all had our xray were overly optimistic so we always had to deduct 5mm from the measurement. I don't know what he did. The only one which I reliably base my measurement on was the one at Sarin's hospital. And he said I had 8.2cm. So we reduce it to 8cm. My roommate was dying for 8cm as well because he was only 5'4 to begin with but ended up with just 7.4cm... even though the x-ray at the pivat hospital said he got 8cm.

Also, you need to take into account of ballerina. Some people at the guesthouse measured their height along with their ballerina foot, so they were vastly disappointed a few months later when their heel touch the ground.

When we had the frames removed, we were allowed to walk right away after 2 weeks. But the rods which are inserted in place can only bear weight of 60kg. So you need to be careful in the early phase of the consolidation. I heard of some cases of the Betz nail being popped. Sysop tibia is one example. He had to replaced them with the titanium nail.

If you lengthen only 4cm and can pay by cm, then I think that is like an insurance policy. I know a very old patient who only achieved 2.9cm due to pain and another Japanese patient who got only 4cm. And we all paid the same price.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:36:57 PM by Smallguy »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »

Okey thanks for the info, but im still really desperate to know if i can really lose height by simply walking after lengthening phase is over. My plan was to fly home for the consolidation phase, and i know others have done that even with externals only. But how could anyone dare to do that if there is a risk of losing height even in this stage? there is no way to make up for it any more when im not at the hospital any longer.

Smallguy

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »

Okey thanks for the info, but im still really desperate to know if i can really lose height by simply walking after lengthening phase is over. My plan was to fly home for the consolidation phase, and i know others have done that even with externals only. But how could anyone dare to do that if there is a risk of losing height even in this stage? there is no way to make up for it any more when im not at the hospital any longer.

Hey you'll need to ask your doctor this question. Most doctors use different nail and have their own method. And I don't know your doctor, so it's best if you ask your doctor this question.

With Sarin, you are advised to stay back for at least 1 month for consolidation. But I left for home after 4 weeks to keep my job. The nail that Sarin inserts into his patients can bear weight of 60kg, for normal activity like walking. But as your bone consolidates more and more, you can bear more weight and perform more extraneous activities like running and jumping.

Yeah, every nail is different. And depending on what he inserts into you, it's better to ask your doc this question. But I would budget 2.5 months for 4cm before being able to come back home.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:49:07 AM by Smallguy »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »

Hey you'll need to ask your doctor this question. Most doctors use different nail and have their own method. And I don't know your doctor, so it's best if you ask your doctor this question.

With Sarin, you are advised to stay back for at least 1 month for consolidation. But I left for home after 4 weeks to keep my job. The nail that Sarin inserts into his patients can bear weight of 60kg, for normal activity like walking. But as your bone consolidates more and more, you can bear more weight and perform more extraneous activities like running and jumping.

Yeah, every nail is different. And depending on what he inserts into you, it's better to ask your doc this question. But I would budget 2.5 months for 4cm before being able to come back home.

Yeah, but from what i understand, part of the bone should consolidate pretty fast, just that it is to weak to wear the whole body weight. So the risk would be breakage, fracture and if that happens i could imagine losing some height. But unless it fractures i dont see how compression would be possible, if it is the externals only seem way to risky.

I wont use a nail as mentioned. Regardless of what my doctor says it wont compress dont think i can trust that 100% after hearing about this, other patient experiences seem to be the only reliable source of info.

GetTallOrGoGay

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

There will likely be pressure from the doctor to do weight-bearing during lengthening, you will have to be stern and say no if that's what you want.  Maybe someone who has had LL can tell us if weight-bearing was their option or if it was dictated to them

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

There will likely be pressure from the doctor to do weight-bearing during lengthening, you will have to be stern and say no if that's what you want.  Maybe someone who has had LL can tell us if weight-bearing was their option or if it was dictated to them

In China they told us to stand but nobody forced us to do anything.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

LL is not a race it is a marathon if you think you can just race to the finish line and worry about stretching and flexibility and ROM when you get home and where your comfortable then your in for a world of hurt. being on the operating table is not where the surgery ends.

THE SURGERY IS THE STRETCHING PART DAY IN DAY OUT DURING LENGTHENING.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 05:06:22 AM »

Nah, I took it easy during lengthening and worried about flexibility and ROM when I got home.  It turned out fine in the end.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 03:23:59 AM »

ok I guess it wont turn out so bad for everyone. good to know it can be done :)

still when I get ll this year ill be stretching like a peacks tail during the mating season. :)

better safe than sorry :)

notatroll

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 01:57:53 AM »

I also lost height. Check my  diary

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5465.0

Monegal hides the machine too and forbids patients to measure

justice

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »

I also lost height. Check my  diary

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5465.0

Monegal hides the machine too and forbids patients to measure

Haha I remember that. To be fair I didn't lose height but others did like notatroll and people who aren't in the forum
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up