Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STRYDE - recovery time/getting back to work without gait  (Read 1681 times)

tallica

• Visitor
STRYDE - recovery time/getting back to work without gait
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, I've read many topics on this forum and decided to get STRYDE for femur, still researching doctors. But timing is very crucial for me, I want to find a way without quitting my job.

So with STRYDE we can walk without crutches 3-4 weeks post-surgery. And during this 3-4 weeks there's still pain so even doing remote work is not advised. But my question is after 3-4 weeks post-surgery.

Assuming the doctor allowed lengthening at home and sending xrays (or biweekly visit, idk), how long does it take to walk without gait problems?

How much time do STRYDE patients need to walk normal enough so that people don't notice any difference?

Bonez

Re: STRYDE - recovery time/getting back to work without gait
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »

from what I've read its about 6 months, of course it depends on how much you lengthen and obviously your mileage may vary

InFullStryde

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, I've read many topics on this forum and decided to get STRYDE for femur, still researching doctors. But timing is very crucial for me, I want to find a way without quitting my job.

So with STRYDE we can walk without crutches 3-4 weeks post-surgery. And during this 3-4 weeks there's still pain so even doing remote work is not advised. But my question is after 3-4 weeks post-surgery.

Assuming the doctor allowed lengthening at home and sending xrays (or biweekly visit, idk), how long does it take to walk without gait problems?

How much time do STRYDE patients need to walk normal enough so that people don't notice any difference?

Hi Talica!

I'm currently recovering from a 3-month lengthening, using Stryde.  With the Stryde nail; you will enjoy the ability to stand and take steps fully weight bearing; very early in the process 3 weeks, forward and sometimes earlier.  With this said; your return to a normal gait will still be months.  I plan on posting a video of my gait on Friday or Saturday this week. I will be at 3 months and about 21 days, post-op when I post the video. This will give you some idea from my perspective. I would plan 6 months as well before you can return to "fairly" normal gait.  With that in mind; you can still get around with crutches and cane in a work environment as early as 1 month; but most likely 2 -3 months.  I always recommend that you stay away from the office for at least until the lengthening is completed.  I advise this because a successful CLL outcome means you must lengthen 3 times a day (4 in some cases), and perform physical therapy regularly (2-3 times daily).   

I hope this helps!

All the best,

IFS
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

raku

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »

Thanks for your information IFS! I am impressed by your quick recovery!

Could I asked the final gain you gained is measured by Xray or Precice machine?
Thanks
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.

tallica

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »

from what I've read its about 6 months, of course it depends on how much you lengthen and obviously your mileage may vary
Thanks Bonez

Hi Talica!

I'm currently recovering from a 3-month lengthening, using Stryde.  With the Stryde nail; you will enjoy the ability to stand and take steps fully weight bearing; very early in the process 3 weeks, forward and sometimes earlier.  With this said; your return to a normal gait will still be months.  I plan on posting a video of my gait on Friday or Saturday this week. I will be at 3 months and about 21 days, post-op when I post the video. This will give you some idea from my perspective. I would plan 6 months as well before you can return to "fairly" normal gait.  With that in mind; you can still get around with crutches and cane in a work environment as early as 1 month; but most likely 2 -3 months.  I always recommend that you stay away from the office for at least until the lengthening is completed.  I advise this because a successful CLL outcome means you must lengthen 3 times a day (4 in some cases), and perform physical therapy regularly (2-3 times daily).   
Thanks IFS, a video of 3 months 21 days will be super helpful. I have no reference point otherwise.

I'm not sure how I can get a 2-3 months leave from work, but I'll try to find a solution to that :/

Congratz with the operation, I'll be following your diary

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »

I am currently doing STRYDE and went back to full time office work 4 weeks after surgery. I am regretting that decision and wish I had taken more time off. It is just very tough to be at the office and trying to focus and do work while your legs are in pain.  If you can work from home, that would be much better.  I am currently walking slowly and my hips sway a little but not that bad.  I doubt my gait will be back til normal until after consolidation, hard to walk normally on broken bones, you are constantly cautious of not falling over or putting too much weight on the nail.   

ned_flanders

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:29 PM »

I am doing Stryde femurs.
Lengthening right now.

you can go to office after 3-4 weeks as you mentioned. walk crutchless.
but remember you will be tired and not able to focus on other things. you will be physically at the office but your mind wont be able to do work.
also by going back to work you're sacrificing PT time which is cruicial for recovery.
I dont recommend working during lengthening but it is possible.
finished lengthening 5.5cm femur stryde 2019.
I am not sure if it was worth it :/

totallyred

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »

I am currently doing STRYDE and went back to full time office work 4 weeks after surgery. I am regretting that decision and wish I had taken more time off. It is just very tough to be at the office and trying to focus and do work while your legs are in pain.  If you can work from home, that would be much better.  I am currently walking slowly and my hips sway a little but not that bad.  I doubt my gait will be back til normal until after consolidation, hard to walk normally on broken bones, you are constantly cautious of not falling over or putting too much weight on the nail.

Did you not go to office again?  Why did you regret the decision??

Ghostfish

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 02:29:35 AM »

Did you not go to office again?  Why did you regret the decision??
Hi totallyred
CLL is a really tough journey especially during lengthening.  You don't get enough sleep no matter what you do.  Uncomfortable pain (like 2-4 pain level) is constantly there and sometimes it gets much worse.  You also can't walk or move very well even with Stryde nails.  In the meantime, you also have to stretch a lot and lengthen 3-4 times a day.  So it is really hard for me to imagine how possibly someone can work during lengthening.  I know someone like SLM is doing both work and lengthening.  They are really warriors and I take my hat off to him and others. 
The bottom line is try hard to make sure you have enough time off at least for the lengthening, which is generally 3 months. But I still recommend you to have 1-2 months to recover before you get back to work, even in case of Stryde nails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up