Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Captain America External Tibias Dr. Sarin 2013  (Read 18994 times)

Captain America

• Visitor
  • Medical Intellectual
Captain America External Tibias Dr. Sarin 2013
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »

Greetings to all. After a hiatus to focus on my own recovery I've decided to again make myself available to contribute to and assist those interested in stature lengthening surgery. If Daemon allows it I will assume responsibility for my diary once again as I have its entire contents archived.

I intend to focus my presence primarily on the medical aspects of LL as that is where I feel my contributions will be of most benefit.

I will stay as involved as my life allows and try to make myself readily available to answer questions that anyone may have.
The strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion.

The opinions I provide are not intended as a substitute for the medical advice of a licensed physician.

ChrisIsaak

Re: Captain America External Tibias Dr. Sarin 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »

I was just thinking about you and your stage of recovery yesterday. So good to hear from you again. Welcome back, Captain!

Muse

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »

Welcome back and good to have you here. It's been awhile, sure let's get the diary going again.

Claude

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »

This is great !
Thank you man, i followed the begining of your diary.
This will be a good help for us.
Hope you are doing ok.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »

Greetings to all. After a hiatus to focus on my own recovery I've decided to again make myself available to contribute to and assist those interested in stature lengthening surgery. If Daemon allows it I will assume responsibility for my diary once again as I have its entire contents archived.

I intend to focus my presence primarily on the medical aspects of LL as that is where I feel my contributions will be of most benefit.

I will stay as involved as my life allows and try to make myself readily available to answer questions that anyone may have.

Good to have you back.

We didn't want to lose all the info you posted on old forum  and fortunately Dameon was able to show at least some info from your diary.
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=15.0
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

The View

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

Welcome back Captain America :)

Did the night splints work ?

Since you are a medical intellectual  ;D I always here about splitting the segments evenly e.g. if you want 10cm do 5 on femur + 5 on tibia, but wouldn't it be better to do slightly more on femur ? since it's longer ?e.g. 5.5 cm on femur and 4.5 cm on tibia if you want 10 cm rather than do 5+5 ? what is better in the long run for recovery etc ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:12:05 PM by The View »

Blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

Hey Captain!

I hope your recovery is going well.  Thank you for all of your contributions.  I always wondered what happened to you and am glad you are here.

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »

Nice to hear from you again.
It would be nice to read about your recovery.

173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Taller

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »

Welcome back to the world of LL, Captain Americ! How is your recovery coming along? Are you able to run yet? What are your currents thoughts on proportions and doing your femurs?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »

Welcome back Captain America :)

Did the night splints work ?

Since you are a medical intellectual  ;D I always here about splitting the segments evenly e.g. if you want 10cm do 5 on femur + 5 on tibia, but wouldn't it be better to do slightly more on femur ? since it's longer ?e.g. 5.5 cm on femur and 4.5 cm on tibia if you want 10 cm rather than do 5+5 ? what is better in the long run for recovery etc ?

.5cm doesn't really matter that much either way, but I agree with you, the femur is longer and should be lengthened more to keep the tibia:femur ratio the same ideally.

Adriano

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:29:16 AM »

Welcome back CAPTAIN,

we are very excited to have you back.

Every week we have amazing news in this forum :D

Looking forward to hearing about you recovery. and we hope its been a success.

Captain America

• Visitor
  • Medical Intellectual
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:48 AM »

@The View

I haven't used night splints as of yet but I have a pair coming to me now that I expect will aid in resolving the remaining ballerina foot I have.

Being highly critical of proportions I would always advocate lengthening any single segment 5cm instead of 10cm. A 5cm increase of length of either lower body segment is unlikely to create any noticeable disproportion between segments. Lengthening any single segment 10cm will unquestionably result in a segment with an unnaturally long final length and produce very obvious disproportion.

It's neither better nor worse to do more or less in regard to femur lengthening, it is solely dependent on an individual's pre-op proportions. I personally would recommend lengthening both segments equally to maintain one's natural proportions. However, from anecdotal evidence it does seem that femurs do heal faster than tibiae and may accommodate additional lengthening more readily.

@Sweden & Tall

Brief summary of my recovery thus far:

Frames were removed early August.

Returned home mid-September

Consulted with a local Orthopedic surgeon and began once a week PT early October.

Cleared to weight-bear and walk with crutches early November.

To clarify, I was confined to a wheelchair/office chair until early November, as in no weight bearing of any kind. This was per the orders of the Ortho whom is overseeing my recovery.

As of now I am able to walk unaided, roughly 2 months after being cleared to weight-bear after being non-weight-bearing since my initial surgery in mid-April. With tennis shoes on I can walk pretty much normally and with little to no discomfort. After some time my legs and ankles do become sore and stay that way for the better part of a day. I make every effort to walk barefoot or with shoes having a flat heel when I must wear them.

When I wake up or when I have been seated for while it is difficult to take the first few steps when I stand up to walk again. My calves become tight and my ankles ache due to the pressure imposed upon them until my calves loosen up after a few steps. I keep a cane handy to assist me in the morning and when standing after having been seated for a while.

The progress is slow but it is definitely present. I do not despair one bit about my stage of recovery at this point. After having been non-weight-bearing and developing equinus contracture for more than 6 months I am elated to even be able to walk pseudo-normally at this point. Equinus contracture is not a condition to take lightly nor one to expect to resolve quickly. My heels do seem to be able to touch the ground after walking for much of the day, although it would be a stretch to claim that I have any degree of positive dorsiflexion or that the pressure exerted through the ball of my foot is equal to that through my heel.

I am able to easily climb stairs without aid and can descend stairs through concerted effort while using the handrail. My left foot/ankle is still slightly rotated internally and is moderately painful when I first stand on it after sitting for a while or upon waking. Otherwise my left leg feels fine. My right calf feels to be slightly tighter than my right making it more difficult to get my right heel down and causing more pressure in my right ankle. Both callus sites are thick and strong, although they do become slightly sore after an active day.

I see my Ortho in a month, at which time we will talk about my left ankle further, discuss the necessity of a gastrocnemius recession surgery (calf release), and further discuss hardware removal when the time comes to do so.
The strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion.

The opinions I provide are not intended as a substitute for the medical advice of a licensed physician.

Arche

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »

Hey I'm happy that you're back, I thought you were gone for sure. I just have a couple of questions that I hope you would be kind enough to answer:

1) How much did you finally end up lengthening?

2) Do you feel your equinas contracture was a result of poor physical therapy during your lengthening regime, or because of surgical faults?

3) What was it like having your diary deleted on old forum  while still at the guest house? Did you fear for your safety?

4) If you would go back, would you go to Dr. Sarin again?

5) What advice would you give to individuals regarding choosing a doctor, lengthening, PT, etc?

Thanks! You're the man!

Taller

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:05 PM »

Also, are you able to move your toes properly? Do you suffer from knee pain of any kind? Recently, on this forum, there was a big discussion about how the insertion of an intramedullary rod in the tibiae can lead to permanent knee pain for some individuals. I was wondering if this applied to you or any other Dr. Sarin patients that you have known.

Moubgf

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »

One question only: Was it worth it?

Captain America

• Visitor
  • Medical Intellectual
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:28 AM »

@Arche

1) I am waiting until my calf contracture has completely resolved to make any official measurements. My Ortho says from his rough measurements I gained ~6.5cm. For what it's worth, my father is 5'9" and I'm as tall if not slightly taller than he.

2) I feel very little can be done to minimize EC when lengthening in a manner that does not allow weight bearing beyond a prophylactic release of the calf muscle connective tissue or rigid fixation of the heel/foot in a neutral position throughout the lengthening process.

3) I did not mind and never once feared for my safety.

4) I would not recommend limb lengthening in India at this time.

5) There is a wealth of information as well as misinformation on the subject of LL on the internet. Anyone interested in undergoing such a procedure should be prudent and rational in their approach to gathering information and understanding the nature of this type of surgery. A decision should only be made after consulting with a licensed and preferably board certified orthopedic surgeon possessing specific training and experience in the field of limb lengthening and reconstruction. I hope to expound upon life after LL including PT and recovery in the future.

@Tall

I have never had any issues with the motor function of my toes or the remainder of my lower extremities. I had some pain in my right knee when I first began my recovery but that has long since resolved. I have not read any conclusive information attributing knee pain to the presence, insertion, or removal of an IM nail.

@Slim_tim

Yes.

hand_sanitizer

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:10 AM »

How's your walking?

Smallguy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »

Hey Cap,

Welcome back! And congratulation on your remarkable achievement. You have defy the odds, save a bunch of money, and changed your life. I'm very happy that things also turn out nicely for you.

I was doing some jogging yesterday. Made 7 laps at my school. But when I looked into my shadow, I looked like an idiot running (Sweden was right). Is there any chance that we can run normally again? Like the cool run?
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »

Haha!  I am sure your running didn't look too bad.  I think most shadows look kinda funny when a person is running.

How far was the 7 laps?  How fast were you able to run?

Taller

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »

Hi Captain,

Thanks for these thorough responses. I was wondering if you think that it is possible to fully recover from moderate to severe equines (ballerina foot), after lengthening, without a release surgery of some sort.

Thanks,
Tall

Smallguy

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »

Haha!  I am sure your running didn't look too bad.  I think most shadows look kinda funny when a person is running.

How far was the 7 laps?  How fast were you able to run?

Hey Blackhawk,

It's a regular 400 meters track and field lap. I will make a video of it this weekend. Stay tune!
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Taller

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 12:50:57 AM »

Hey Blackhawk,

It's a regular 400 meters track and field lap. I will make a video of it this weekend. Stay tune!

Can't wait!!!! After all the drama about the potential for a complete recovery on old forum , we've yet to see ONE video of a real forum member running after LL. Do what no man has ever done before: post this running video on the forum! I'm already getting my popcorn ready  8)

PS. THANKS!!! As an athlete myself, this vid will mean a ton to me, and many others, I'm sure!

Captain America

• Visitor
  • Medical Intellectual
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 12:56:52 AM »

@hand_sanitizer

Improving daily. Far from my pre-sx gait but after a few steps I can walk around easily while barefoot.

@Smallguy

You should consider it a great accomplishment that you are running and not worry about the normalcy of your form just yet. I cannot claim to know whether or not those of us whom have lengthened or legs will ever regain 100% of our pre-LL athleticism as there are to my knowledge no studies nor definitive evidence from previous LL patients about the subject. I am, however, hopeful that we will and am encouraged by my and others' recoveries thus far.

@Tall

Although this is another subject that suffers from a lack of studies I am encouraged that with time and effort ballerina foot will resolve itself. Keep in mind this depends on many variables including the total amount lengthened and the individual tissue properties of each patient.

I will begin to update this thread with posts from my diary soon.

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »

After all the drama about the potential for a complete recovery on old forum , we've yet to see ONE video of a real forum member running after LL.

I've seen Jungle (from old forum , he left the forum long time ago) do running.

Also Oldbutgoldies jogging proves you can return to pre-op condition by a high percentage.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Disobedient

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 12:52:33 AM »

you're the guy who did hair transplant and nose job too .. right? or am I loaded with a lot of ultracet ..

but I remember you posted a pic b4 and after the nose job. ..what do you think of the result ..?

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 03:19:18 AM »

Can't wait!!!! After all the drama about the potential for a complete recovery on old forum , we've yet to see ONE video of a real forum member running after LL. Do what no man has ever done before: post this running video on the forum! I'm already getting my popcorn ready  8)

PS. THANKS!!! As an athlete myself, this vid will mean a ton to me, and many others, I'm sure!

Come to think of it, you're right

Taller

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 03:40:15 AM »

It's too bad, isn't it? There are some light "jogging" videos around, such as OBG's, but not really any of what many of us would consider an energetic "run". Shyshy's running video probably impresses me the most though, and nobody even asked him to post a video (thanks buddy!!!). Also, he is only around 6 months post op if I remember correctly.

Blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 05:24:38 AM »

It's too bad, isn't it? There are some light "jogging" videos around, such as OBG's, but not really any of what many of us would consider an energetic "run". Shyshy's running video probably impresses me the most though, and nobody even asked him to post a video (thanks buddy!!!). Also, he is only around 6 months post op if I remember correctly.

Shyshy's videos were impressive.

Smallguy posted some running videos a couple months ago.  His running wasn't as good as Shyshy but considering he went to India for LL he was doing well.

TRS

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »

Despite Sweden's X-legs, his running is also good and gradually improving too.

Blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 06:02:41 AM »

Despite Sweden's X-legs, his running is also good and gradually improving too.

I agree the running looked pretty good but he needs to get those x-legs fixed.

Hey where is Sweden?  We haven't gotten to make fun of him in awhile. ;)

jaymorgan712

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »

Whatever happened to Captain America. He just left! He was posting in the diary and then vanished! Does anyone know if he is recovering okay? And how much did he lengthen?
Currently Banned for fake diary until proper explanation is accounted for.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up