Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 266562 times)

Iamready

Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »

I have chosen Dr. Paley as my doctor.  I have a consultation with him in a little over a week regarding quadrilateral lengthening for a 10cm gain in height.  My current height is 5 foot 5 inches- I am 31 years old and have been contemplating limb lengthening for the past 10 years.  My financial situation and professional situation are allowing me a year for this journey and I am confident in my choice to go ahead with this.  If there are any questions you would like me to ask Dr. Paley I will try my best to get them answered.  Thank you and I hope to provide you with an honest and detailed reality of a 10cm quadrilateral lengthening.

Alu

Re: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:31:34 AM »

Well first of congrats on deciding to go through this procedure. For the most part I hope you have a full understanding of what you're about to go through and I hope for a safe surgery and recovery in your future. Considering you're going with Paley I'm sure you are in absolute best hands. I should also add that I myself am considering not just Paley but also 10 CM gain (obviously 5 in each limb).

In that regard I do have some questions I would love for you to ask Paley in regards to, not just QL, but also general LL under his supervision:

1)What is the expected recovery time for a single bilateral femur LL for 5-6CM look like? And how fast can they return to any sport (this is my first choice mind you)
2)How does he advice his patients when it comes to their proportions and how they might look after surgery? (with regards to legs and torso ration and wingspan)
3)Would he provide arm lengthening for patients who would like to become more proportional?
4)What, if any, long term effects have been caused by this surgery? (yes broad and general question but I'm sure it's very important to ask)
5)Does he expect the price for this surgery to increase in the near future?
6)Have patients generally been happy with their gain in height after their surgery?
Lastly, what does he personally think about this procedure being cosmetic? This is a more personal question regarded to him and is by no means supposed to be a gotcha question, but I'm just generally interested in what an experienced man like Paley would think about this procedure and his understanding of why people would go through with this.

I wish you well mate, hope you have a great journey if you do ultimately decide to go through with this! Thank you and I wish you well.

Ghostfish

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »

Hi Iamready

First of all, I like your name :)  I envy you because I am not ready due to mainly time.  So congrats on your exciting journey to the new life!

I am also quite interested in QL but have been wondering whether it is really doable.  Did you actually have Dr. Paley?  Or is it your plan before consultation?  My first question is "Is QL possible and doable?" 

Suppose it is possible, how long does it take to finish 10 cm lengthening ("5 and 5" or "6 and 4" in femurs and tibias) and to recover/walk so that you can restart working?  I guess since femurs and tibias LLs are different in lengthening rate and recovery time, how you lengthen them could affect how much time you need to recover.  Hopefully, Dr. Paley can give you a good explanation in this regard.

Thank you for your post.  Your QL journey is very inspiring to me.

Good luck!!!

Iamready

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »

You will definitely have all your questions answered. 

Iamready

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »

Hi, just a quick update.  I had my consultation and I will my surgery will take place at the end of October.  The first surgery will be for the tibial lengthening and will be followed by another surgery at the end of November for the lengthening of my femurs. 

stormtrooper

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »

That's awesome. You the man!! You can do this.

Ghostfish

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:11:12 AM »

Hi Iamready

Thank you so much for your update!!  Your journey for LL is very inspiring to me!  Hope you come back often and write more. 
Wish you the best of success in your LL!!

Iamready

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »

How can I change the title of the topic to Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley

Iamready

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »

Hey guys. I'm nearly a month away from the first surgery. I've been stretching as much is safe according to the research I've done.   It might not make a difference but I am determined to give this experience as much effort as possible.  There are  alot of questions that have gone through my head regarding the experience because I've been visualizing it.   I wish I could share with you my joy because this is by far the most exciting time of my life

Alu

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »

Hey man I'm wishing you the best of luck as you're going through with this. You and Vitruvius have been a great inspiration and help to me so I undoubtedly hope you come out as best you possibly can. It's gonna be a long and hard journey, especially for you considering you're brave enough to do two in one go. Considering you have Paley, as Vitruvius has shown, you're good hands. Take care mate and keep us posted.

Also what's you game plan? How much are you gonna go for in each?

Ghostfish

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 04:14:21 AM »

Hi Iamready

Thanks for the update!  Yeah, now you have only one month to go!  It will be a long and hard journey but you can do it, coz you are ready!
Wish you the best of luck during this journey and the best result!  Keep up updated.

Best,

Iamready

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:28:29 AM »

I'm going for as much as I can get without looking funky, compromising my safety, and mobility.   I'm more focused on these points than any number.

stormtrooper

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »

Iamready,

Hope your feeling great. Just a couple quick questions, regarding your expectations and expenses.

1. How much $$ have you set aside for the surgeries?
2. Who is staying with you during the recuperation phase?

Looking forward to reading your response. Thank you.

Iamready

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

On the FAQ for Dr. Paley it says that you should have 30-35k on hand for any complications that may occur.  Add expense of living, Medicine, travel costs, and the cost of surgery and that's how much I have set aside.  I wouldn't have this surgery done if I wasn't financially prepared for it.

My father will stay with me for at least 2 weeks and then I will get a caretaker.

Alu

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 05:36:10 AM »

May I also ask how people whom you told this reacted to you wanting to do this? Considering you obviously told your father how did he react?

Iamready

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:47 AM »

I told everyone.  All my friends, any family that I still talk to.  My dad was on board from the start, my mom was just worried about my safety.  As for friends, everyone thought it was cool and were happy for me.

Iamready

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »

Oh yeah, my sister was freaked out about it at first. My parents didn't want me to tell her but they eventually blurted it out when she kept questioning why I was going to Florida for the consultation. She didn't like the fact that her healthy little brother was going to go through such a drastic surgery but I spoke to her about it over dinner and she knows that this is something I want and that i'm a strong person. 

When I first brought it up to my parents we were all sitting at the couch at their home and I told them about the procedure to warm them up to the idea.  Then a few weeks later I brought up the surgery again and told them that I had the money saved up for the operation and I showed them some of the research I had done and videos online of the Paley Institute.  I answered all their questions about safety and I let my father come with me to Florida during the consultation.  It was really important to me that they felt comfortable with this because I didn't want them to worry about my health or safety.  They knew I wore lifts, that I always wanted to be normal height so it wasn't a huge shock. 

Feeling more comfortable with my body is something I earned and deserve.  We live in an amazing time, it would be a shame not to take this journey.

concernedmom

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »

You know guys, this is a journey you should be proud of taking. Nothing to be shamed about. We live in a different society now. Be proud of yourselves. You guys are brave and determined.

Iamready

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »

I have a day left before I get discharged. The epidural didn't work for my right side so I dealt with that but believe it or not my greatest pain has been in the bladder. My urine wasn't passing through. I had the catheter stuck in 4 times in and out. It's a bitch but there are people in the world who suffer a great deal more pain than I so I don't feel right complaining.

ortholengthening

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »

congratulations. Big step done. Many more ahead. Will be reading closely and cheering you on.
What day was your surgery? Did you start lengthening yet?

Iamready

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »

They did the initial 1mm to test the nail.  I start lengthening Tuesday. A week after the surgery. Hopefully I get through tonight without needing them to remove and inset another catheter and it will be all I could ask for.

Iamready

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »

Still more catheter Problems.  No sleep.

Alu

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »

Hang in the man. The first week or two is apparently always the worst.

Which segment did the Operate first on? I'm assuming the tibia since it typically lengths slower.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »

I have a day left before I get discharged. The epidural didn't work for my right side so I dealt with that but believe it or not my greatest pain has been in the bladder. My urine wasn't passing through. I had the catheter stuck in 4 times in and out. It's a bitch but there are people in the world who suffer a great deal more pain than I so I don't feel right complaining.

I had the same problem as you. They don't actually have to stick a catheter back in! I learned that after they did the same thing to me. But the way I got to peeing again was to get a rubber glove full of ice chips. Then put that glove on top of your penis for a while. Eventually you'll want to go. It's much easier than using the catheter!
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

ortholengthening

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »

Another option would be to keep the catheter in for 24 hours and let things settle down. Yes having a prolonged (>48hours) indwelling catheter increases your risk of urinary tract infection, but so does doing multiple in and out catheterizations.

Ghostfish

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »

Hi Iamready

Congrats on making the first step!
I am sorry that you have a serious problem in peeing. That sounds quite painful.  Try what DoingitforMe suggests.  It may work for you.
Be strong and hang in there.  The pain will be less and less eventually!  Hope it is getting better soon for you!
Thank you so much for sharing your invaluable experience with us!

Ghostfish

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 05:43:34 AM »

That sounds quite scary.  Luckily you fell flat on face without damaging your legs, although it must be hurtful.  Anyhow, I am glad you will see you father.  Having your family be supportive is really huge, since a lot of people who want or did LL need to hide LL even to family.  I am also going to pretend nothing happens to my height.  ::)

looking forward to hearing more from you!

Take care! 

Iamready

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:16 AM »

Ever since they removed the catheter my mood has been much better.  I am at homewood suites now.  Completed 2 physical therapy sessions and lengthened 1.5mm so far.  Took my first   Sunday night, and just dropped a bomb tonight which hurt a lot more.   You can really feel the pain in the legs.  All I have to say is that I wish the pain pills actually worked for me.  They just make me sleepy.  Perhaps someone has suggestions?  Most of the pain I feel is while on the walker.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 02:29:59 AM »

Ever since they removed the catheter my mood has been much better.  I am at homewood suites now.  Completed 2 physical therapy sessions and lengthened 1.5mm so far.  Took my first crap Sunday night, and just dropped a bomb tonight which hurt a lot more.   You can really feel the pain in the legs.  All I have to say is that I wish the pain pills actually worked for me.  They just make me sleepy.  Perhaps someone has suggestions?  Most of the pain I feel is while on the walker.
The pain will drop significantly after 2 weeks or so. Hang in there. What pain meds are you on now? Oxycodone? Get some Tylenol and take it with the Oxy. It will enhance the effect. Don't get Advil and the like, because they don't mix well with the blood thinners. It's not worth the risk. Tell the Paley team about the pain. They will prescribe stronger pain meds for you. For me, it was Oxycontin that saved me. That stuff is like $5 a pill, but it was worth every dollar. If your health insurance isn't paying for your drugs, get your drugs from Walmart. It's the cheapest. But give them the prescription for Oxycodone a week in advance. It takes them that long to fill it. Garden Drugs has some kind of deal with the hospital, so the hospital pushes their drugs. But their prices are almost double or triple. Don't fall for their trap, especially when drug costs are in the thousands of dollars.

If you see an asian kid or an indian guy, say hi to them for me. Try to get to the pool as soon as you can - usually 2 weeks after discharge. If the pool isn't warm, complain to Paley's team. They will yell at the Homewood Suites management for you. If the pool is warm, you're welcome. It was our group that got them to turn up the heating in the pool.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 06:11:26 AM »

Hi, thanks for your response. During my first pt session there was an indian fellow- i'm not 100% sure- and he had just finished lengthening his tibia's 7cm.  My father spoke to him but it was my first day after being discharged from the hospital and I was out of it.  They gave me generic vicodin and oxycodone.  I absolutely will not be getting my medicine from Garden Drugs if they are over priced. 

Since they did the tibia's first on me I have this boot that i'm supposed to wear 23 hours a day.  It's problematic for me because I have some bruising and swelling from how tight it fits on me.  When you speak about the Paley team do you mean the physical therapists or the doctors I visit every 2 weeks?  Thanks for your reponse I really appreciate that you took the time to respond.  Have a nice night.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »

Speak to the physical therapists first for most of your questions. Usually they have the answer. If not, send an email to John the PA or Dr. Packer or Dr. Robbins. You can try to reach Dr. Paley, but he rarely responds to emails, because he's so busy. Dr. Packer and Dr. Paley should be in Miami right now, by the way, so the only way to reach them is by email. Only the doctors can give you a new prescription for drugs.

Ah yes. The one who did tibias is Egyptian if his first name starts with A. Say hi to him for me as well. I did femurs, so I can't really comment on your boots. The guy who finished his tibias to 7 cm could probably give you a better answer. The Asian and Indian guy might be finished consolidating, so they might have left the hotel already.
Link to my experience
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up