Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how long will it take before its possible to regenerate growth plates?  (Read 3161 times)

hollandaa

Is there anybody over here with a lot of information about it who can tell us mire about this project?

theuprising

Re: how long will it take before its possible to regenerate growth plates?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »

I'd like to see any information on this.

Uppland

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »

There is some progress, perhaps it will be cosmetically available in 20-40 years or so but I couldn't say.

hollandaa

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »

There is some progress, perhaps it will be cosmetically available in 20-40 years or so but I couldn't say.

takes too long

becometaller

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »

Longer than 20 or 40 years. Probably we will be too old by then.

hollandaa

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:54:04 PM »

Longer than 20 or 40 years. Probably we will be too old by then.

Even if its possible in 5 years it will be a problem cuz it will be very expensive to regenerate all growth plates in the body

chineseguy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

i use google translate to understand.    if i am right.  it is the soft bone in kids that has space to makr them tall.      i think 20 yrs

myloginacc

It feels like 5 years away for real animal trials, if the background on research like this is accurate (I can't find published papers on this case, just news reports).

http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2014/11/01/video-alexander-teplyashins-laboratory-lengthening-legs-sheep-using-stem-cell-implants/

However, all the papers I've seen were just about mesenchymal stem cells used for bone/other regeneration. This is what some LL surgeons already do and call stem-cell therapy. The successful epiphyseal plate implantation still seems to be the main challenge.

Links like this paint a more distant picture:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lab-grown-bone-biomedical-engineering-osteoporosis-amputees

"We add the bone putty to an anatomically correct, rigid living scaffold, that we made by 3D printing collagen," says Matthew Dalby, professor of cell engineering at the University of Glasgow, and one of the lead authors of the paper. "We put lots of cells in the body so it has a chance to integrate this new bone. We tell the cells what to do in the lab, then the body can act as a bioreactor to do the rest."

Dalby speaks with earnest about how it can also help civilian and solider blast injuries, once it is established within the NHS. "All it takes is a few centimetres of bone to extend the length of a leg stump so they can wear a prosthetic," he explains.

I'm aware of how MSCs can differ themselves, and what they can create, but this doesn't seem much different or promising than what some CLL doctors already do to just stimulate bone growth.

Sadly, they never went into detail for this quote:

"We are getting better at surviving but we have a lot of trauma injuries. In partnership with Sir Bobby Charlton’s landmine charity Find A Better Way, we have already proven the effectiveness of our scaffolds in veterinary medicine, by helping to grow new bone to save the leg of a dog who would otherwise have had to have it amputated."

Again, the situation could be better or worse than what I know. This is all casual investigating I'm doing on my own.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:44:11 PM by myloginacc »
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

IwannaBeTaller

It feels like 5 years away for real animal trials, if the background on research like this is accurate (I can't find published papers on this case, just news reports).

To me, if we believe the more optimistic sources, it always seems "right around the corner". Do you agree my friend?

But it's gonna take longer in reality...to be honest, I'd be really glad if my grandkids and their peers won't have to worry about height anymore.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Johnson1111

The technology and ability is already there. It's just when will the incentive be there to make it speed up the process and make it worth doing?

myloginacc

https://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/28251059

Challenges of bone tissue engineering in orthopaedic patients.

(PMID:28251059 PMCID:PMC5314152)

(February 2017)
Somewhat related.

Of note, from the abstract:

Bone transportation by compression-distraction lengthening principles is commonly implemented for the treatment of large bone loss. However, complications are frequently encountered with these techniques. Among new techniques that have been proposed to address the problem of large bone loss, the application of stem cells in conjunction with tissue engineering techniques is very promising, as is the creation of personalised medicine (or precision medicine), in which molecular profiling technologies are used to tailor the therapeutic strategy, to ensure the right method is applied for the right person at the right time, after determining the predisposition to disease among the general population. All of the above techniques for addressing bone defects are discussed in this paper.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

Can't edit my last post in here anymore.

Here's the above paper in its entirety:

https://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5314152

Javier3

• Visitor

Can't edit my last post in here anymore.

Here's the above paper in its entirety:

https://europepmc.org/articles/PMC5314152

It seems like they are taking it seriously lately or, at least, accepting that today's technology make a way for it possible.

Latest advances are getting us near a time where Limb Lengtening will be easier. Directions are 2.

The first direction is the closest one, and it is when side effects of Limb Lengthening can be undone (cartilage regeneration, tendon healing/regeneration, better infection and pain management, chronic pain cure and bone regeneration for fast recovery and avoiding non union). This is the most likely, and we are seeing it close right now. Many people who had complications here could alleviate them thanks to these advances, althought we use to take them for granted. Veteran LLers will someday get to 100% recovery once these stuff will start to get to the clinics, and there are news and advances about it every week.

The second one is Tissue Engineering for bone elongation. This one can be done by modifying the actual cells of your bones or by implanting a small secion of bone from your cells that, once implanted, will grow by itself (Epibone will start clinical trials in few years).

By the way, the stem cells industry is optimizing procedures to make them cheaper, we have to take into account that the demand is giant, so companies will fight fiercely to make the prices down and get pattients to consume their therapies.

Also, we have to remember that not so long ago, internals were something that most of us didn't consider, it was like a new technology and externals were the norm. Now internals are the norm, and they have been improving dramatically, and 2018 has been a good year full of advances, and new companies (Synoste) are entering the market, that makes 3 companies, and it will make the prices go down due to competence.

Automating the process to make these implants will make the prices down too. We have to remember that it is a relatively new technology and it is still going to be more optimized than now.

As we say in Spain: poco a poco. We are getting there. The first step is bone regeneration (no more age limitation) and cartilage, tendon, chronic pain cure and nerve regeneration. Once we are there, only the temporary pain will be the biggest deal for us, and we are going to break those limits that we see today when it comes to amount lengthened.

Remember: we are talking about a major surgery needed by many people around the world not just for cosmetic purposes.

myloginacc

It seems like they are taking it seriously lately or, at least, accepting that today's technology make a way for it possible.

Latest advances are getting us near a time where Limb Lengtening will be easier. Directions are 2.

The first direction is the closest one, and it is when side effects of Limb Lengthening can be undone (cartilage regeneration, tendon healing/regeneration, better infection and pain management, chronic pain cure and bone regeneration for fast recovery and avoiding non union). This is the most likely, and we are seeing it close right now. Many people who had complications here could alleviate them thanks to these advances, althought we use to take them for granted. Veteran LLers will someday get to 100% recovery once these stuff will start to get to the clinics, and there are news and advances about it every week.

The second one is Tissue Engineering for bone elongation. This one can be done by modifying the actual cells of your bones or by implanting a small secion of bone from your cells that, once implanted, will grow by itself (Epibone will start clinical trials in few years).

By the way, the stem cells industry is optimizing procedures to make them cheaper, we have to take into account that the demand is giant, so companies will fight fiercely to make the prices down and get pattients to consume their therapies.

Also, we have to remember that not so long ago, internals were something that most of us didn't consider, it was like a new technology and externals were the norm. Now internals are the norm, and they have been improving dramatically, and 2018 has been a good year full of advances, and new companies (Synoste) are entering the market, that makes 3 companies, and it will make the prices go down due to competence.

Automating the process to make these implants will make the prices down too. We have to remember that it is a relatively new technology and it is still going to be more optimized than now.

As we say in Spain: poco a poco. We are getting there. The first step is bone regeneration (no more age limitation) and cartilage, tendon, chronic pain cure and nerve regeneration. Once we are there, only the temporary pain will be the biggest deal for us, and we are going to break those limits that we see today when it comes to amount lengthened.

Remember: we are talking about a major surgery needed by many people around the world not just for cosmetic purposes.

http://www.epibone.com/

Interesting. In Epibone's homepage presentation, they show the bone graft being naturally accepted and adapting to the body. I wonder if that's just illustrative, or if it could solve all the associated problems with bone graft limb lengthening (as opposed to distraction-osteogenesis limb lengthening).

For a time, limb lengthening was done like that, leading to terrible complications. If the biotechnology of companies like Epibone and Bonus Biogroup are really different from typical bone grafting, this could lead to a resurgence in that method of limb lengthening. The thing is, autologous bone grafting has already existed for a long time. This means a piece of bone from the own patient is used in the bone grafting. Unless the MSCs are doing something new in the process there, the advantages of technologies like Epibone seem to be its precision with the engineered grafts, and the same results as a successful autologous graft, but without the need for a piece of bone from the patient. This doesn't mean much as alternative to distraction osteogenesis LL, but it is indeed huge for everyone who's in need of bone grafting.

So while it doesn't seem much to me (in regards to its potential to replace DO LL) - with my layman's understanding of the processes involved -, companies like Epibone are certainly going to make the lives of tens of thousands easier every year. The technology will inevitably expand to the whole world too, at some point.

EpiBone's bone grafts are made from the patient's own stem cells, so foreign body complications are eliminated. Two of the most common types of bone grafts used today are allografts, grafts made from a deceased donor's bone, and autografts, grafts made of bone from another part of the patient's body. According to the Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, there are more than nine hundred thousand allograft transplants each year in the United States. EpiBone will be able to decrease that number all while providing a solution without having to cut out bone from any other human.

I'll be trying to keep an eye on Epibone, Bonus Biogroup, Teplyashin, and Eben Albersg 's advances.

Speaking of which: Dr. Nimrod Rozen / Rosen, one of three doctors on Bonus Bigroup's scientific advisory board, claimed this, according to machine translation and an article posted at the end of 2017.

The person who performed the operation yesterday is Prof. Nimrod Rosen, director of orthopedics at Ha'emek Hospital. "Our patient came with a deficiency in the Tibia bone, which the body can not complete alone," explains Prof. Rosen.

"Yesterday I surgically implanted the cells we drew from two weeks ago, and within six weeks the bone will complete itself and the Tibia will return to being the same as before," he says.

The surgery is suitable for the elderly with osteoporosis and also for cancer patients undergoing bone marrow removal, and Prof. Rosen believes that in the future this operation will be possible even for short stature patients, to transplant their bones and raise them by tens of centimeters. "In every operation I can add 10 centimeters, Sometimes it can change the self-image of a lot of people."

This is why, as of right now, I'm most interested in the follow-up of Bonus Biogroup's experimental human patients. Not optimistic about it, but curious to see where it ends.

myloginacc

Kotiki

Research is also conducted to regenerate growth plates:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/regrowing-growth-plates-a-fix-for-kids-injuries/

While the primary indication is injuries in kids resulting in prematuraly closed growth plates, I don't see why it couldn't be applied to adults.

The researcher from the article says  that the method  will "make it possible for the first time to replace growth plates that have been irreversibly damaged — not only by injuries but also by infection or radiation.”  How about by age? What do you guys think?

Juiceslikewine

• Limb lengthening forums own lab rat :)

Am i the only one that sees the other side of the story?If anyone can be 6 foot plus then height no longer means anything,kinda like if everyone could achieve the perfect physique,there's no superiority and as fked as it sounds that's a huge part of what makes us human,survival of the fittest etc.
Height:5'10 or 178cms
Ethnicity:white irish
Realistic height goal:5'11 or 180.5cm(Would be very content with this.

myloginacc

Am i the only one that sees the other side of the story?If anyone can be 6 foot plus then height no longer means anything,kinda like if everyone could achieve the perfect physique,there's no superiority and as fked as it sounds that's a huge part of what makes us human,survival of the fittest etc.

This has been discussed extensively in the forums. Most of us are not double digit IQ fitbros with megalomaniac desires to tower over all men (a true display of "alpha" security). Not saying you are, though (evidence still pending). Most of us just want to reach a height we feel is not a disadvantage to us, and to lead comfortable lives.

Most women also wouldn't be getting this, except the more narcissistic ones who think they only need bigger legs to become models. Still, they'd stop at around 5'10/5'11 (178~180cm), and constitute a small minority.

So yes, the "worst" case scenario is the elimination of heightism due to most humans being close in height, which is already a good scenario. It's also not like these procedures would be cheap, and there would still be diversity in height. Lots of shortish men truly don't give a single fk about their height. Likewise, most of my taller friends don't want to be any taller. Hopefully, the tall guys who are still insecure enough about their height to get it done at over 6'1+ would really do such treatment. They'd stand out very much, and not in a good way.

kinda like if everyone could achieve the perfect physique

Perfection is a human concept. It is subjective. Testosterone, for example, has been synthesized since the 1930s, and its anabolic effects are well-known and demonstrated since then.

Whether you want to see a bunch of roided men as the equivalent to cheating nature and obtaining a "perfect" physique is up to you.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:37:40 AM by myloginacc »

myloginacc

Either way, science and scientific knowledge will keep advancing regardless of how anyone feels about anything, so those days where everyone can mostly look however they want will come at some point - even if not in our lifetimes.

Everyone who won't like that will just have to deal with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up