Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A With Dr Franz Birkholtz  (Read 43389 times)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
Re: Q & A With Dr Franz Birkholtz
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »

First, thank you for your answer.
  Secondly, when you say without issues, do you mean that after the process is over the people can walk normally (As if they never had an operation)?
This was covered in earlier posts I believe. No amount of lengthening will leave you completely normal. There is always an effect. The longer the lengthening the more the effect. Other factors like quality of surgery, rehab as well as complications play a role. The reason why the surgeon needs to be chosen carefully.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »

Dr. Birkholtz, which do you prefer LON or LATN? Is there any way to avoid the knee pain or damage, and how much time does using these nails save. Are they worth it or do you prefer straight EXFIX?
It is a very individual choice. For example LON is easier if the bones are straight and LATN probably better if there is an existing deformity.
For a 5cm lengthening the exfix time for exfix only lengthening is around 7-8 months.
With LON or LATN, exfix time is around 2.5 months. Quite a difference.
Knee pain is minimized using special nailing techniques.
Bear in mind that the incidence of knee pain will also be present with the lengthening nails like Precice etc.

stanmarsh

• Visitor
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2016, 07:03:50 AM »

Hello Dr franz

Can you tell us how to choose a doctor? The obvious criteria are what method he offers and how fluent and honest he is at explaining stuff.

Other than this we are all medical laymen who just can't tell the difference between very basic things. It becomes hard to decide especially if we don't have 150k dollars for this surgery and recovery.

Is there a set of important things to consider?

Also many docs have little cosmetic LL experience but have good correctional experience. Is this a factor to consider?

We sincerely appreciate your presence here. Than you.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2016, 09:34:13 PM »

Hello Dr franz

Can you tell us how to choose a doctor? The obvious criteria are what method he offers and how fluent and honest he is at explaining stuff.

Other than this we are all medical laymen who just can't tell the difference between very basic things. It becomes hard to decide especially if we don't have 150k dollars for this surgery and recovery.

Is there a set of important things to consider?

Also many docs have little cosmetic LL experience but have good correctional experience. Is this a factor to consider?

We sincerely appreciate your presence here. Than you.

This is a good question. Please bear in mind that my answer is not intended in any way to try and gain more patients. I have enough work as it is.

If I choose a surgeon I look for honesty, integrity, skill and the ability to form a relationship of trust. Pretty much in that order. Price should be the least important consideration. Also, do not choose a surgeon based on the technique yo want. If your limb lengthening surgeon is not comfortable performing individualised surgery (ie different types / techniques) I would look elsewhere.

Although CLL experience is reasonably important, bear in mind that generally CLL is technically a lot easier than correction of deformity, restoration of leg length discrepancy or restoration of non-unions of bone defects. I would much rather choose someone with a lot of experience in different techniques and who is comfortable preventing and managing complications in difficult cases. He or she should then be much more comfortable in performing 'simple' lengthenings.

I can not choose your surgeon, but be careful because you need to trust this person implicitly. The wrong choice can ruin your life and give you bigger problems than height dysphoria.

Deads

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »

This is a good question. Please bear in mind that my answer is not intended in any way to try and gain more patients. I have enough work as it is.

If I choose a surgeon I look for honesty, integrity, skill and the ability to form a relationship of trust. Pretty much in that order. Price should be the least important consideration. Also, do not choose a surgeon based on the technique yo want. If your limb lengthening surgeon is not comfortable performing individualised surgery (ie different types / techniques) I would look elsewhere.

Although CLL experience is reasonably important, bear in mind that generally CLL is technically a lot easier than correction of deformity, restoration of leg length discrepancy or restoration of non-unions of bone defects. I would much rather choose someone with a lot of experience in different techniques and who is comfortable preventing and managing complications in difficult cases. He or she should then be much more comfortable in performing 'simple' lengthenings.

I can not choose your surgeon, but be careful because you need to trust this person implicitly. The wrong choice can ruin your life and give you bigger problems than height dysphoria.

Hi Dr Franz,

I'm wanting to lengthen only 5cm, but concerned with contracture.. Would I lengthen 5.5cm to account for possible contracture or is there a way to guarentee that we can avoid bone compression altogether?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up