Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Mahboubian  (Read 16577 times)

theuprising

Dr Mahboubian
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »

What are the opinions off this doctor on this forum? He has gotten glowing reviews on old forum
however from what i've read there appears to be some shady dealings over there and I want
unbiased opinions.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Dr Mahboubian
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

It's hard for me to say as I've never met the guy and am not considering him for surgery. He's gotten some mixed reaction on old forum  though. There were multiple arguments discussing Mahboubian's credentials to the point where the doc himself came on the forum to defend himself.  I don't know if the thread is still there but there was a point where someone (I think Stadiometer?) said the price Tall was quoting for Mahboubian was far lower than what one would pay to have surgery under him. There was another thread where someone described a really bad consultation with him and said he overheard Mahboubian say some nasty things about him from outside the room he was in after he had brought up having part of his surgery paid for by insurance since he wanted some correction done as well. Tall seems to swear the guy is a good doc though, as well as someone there who went to him after getting messed up in Vietnam.

I only live an hour away from Mahboubian's practice location but I decided not to consider him because I think the way he advertises lengthening and promotes his business is pretty insulting. I get more of a salesman vibe than a doctor from him.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Doflamingo

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

I would say if you can afford him, go with him.
As he lives in USA I am sure he isn't corrupted like doctors in India.

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »

ok this is my opinion of the mainstream ll-surgeons. remember its an opinion!

top:
1.guichet - pioneer. Strongest nail in market and good athletic recovery for patients.
2. paley - expensive but also a pioneer. has enormous experiece. If I ever do tibs, i'd do it with him.
3. betz - shady dealings with old forum . crappy nail that bends and breaks so u need to pay 25k extra for titanium. but as a surgeon i trust him 100%

4.donghoon - not that exp. has experiece. up and coming.
5.dr.mahboubian - shady exepnsive prices.shady dealing with tall and sysop. he uses precice but makes basic mistakes with fibular fixing and nail angles which makes me think he is not as good as those 4 above him.

-------------- surgeons i never would even consider. even if there were no other surgeons in the world. i rather remain short.
sarin, sringari and any india doc in future- fking   and will fk up your life.
dr. jamal - N/A - dont know about him and have no opinion.
dr-salameh - medival fixtator and dodgy looking guy.
dr.xia - has thousands of patients and have perfected the art of ilizarov LL'ing. Becoming expensive. 1 price for local, 1 for foreigners.

My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Arche

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »

top:
1.guichet - pioneer. Strongest nail in market and good athletic recovery for patients.
2. paley - expensive but also a pioneer. has enormous experiece. If I ever do tibs, i'd do it with him.
3. betz - shady dealings with old forum . crappy nail that bends and breaks so u need to pay 25k extra for titanium. but as a surgeon i trust him 100%

5.dr.mahboubian - shady exepnsive prices.shady dealing with tall and sysop. he uses precice but makes basic mistakes with fibular fixing and nail angles which makes me think he is not as good as those 4 above him.

-------------- surgeons i never would even consider. even if there were no other surgeons in the world. i rather remain short.
sarin, sringari and any india doc in future- f**king s**t and will f**k up your life.
dr.xia - has thousands of patients and have perfected the art of ilizarov LL'ing. Becoming expensive. 1 price for local, 1 for foreigners.

I was reading one of the diaries on old forum  of a patient who got LON in Korea with Dr. Donghoon and supposedly he also charged international patients more than his domestic patients. I find it really odd, and perhaps even unfair, not to take anything away from his qualities strictly as a surgeon.

rickybobby

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »

1. Dr Rozbruk in NY then all others

Doflamingo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »

Hey, I think doing LL in China is a great choice.
I'm pretty sure they'll take good care of you.

I'm confident to say that Dr. Donghoon is a viable doctor to be compared with Dr. Paley, Dr. Guichet, ...

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »

as I said please dont ask me why this and why that. These are my opinions reading various diaries on old forum  and here combined with my knowledge about certain country and their people.
Germans are perfectionists (Heard of the term 'german engineering'). I trust them.
Americans are expensive but they f**king get it done.
French have a history of good medical inventions.

Indians.. *sigh* i am from asia myself...
South Koreans are influenced by americans and there are traits that says they get the job done too. Their country and system is setup like the western world, meaning they have institution that protects patients from being butchered. Something you cant find in fake 'democratic' country's like India, full of corruption and crap.

Same goes to china.. i dont trust them simply. These are my beliefs which have been formed over 20-25 years and I dont want to get into details.

Simply put, as you can see. Any country that resembles the country I grew up in (which is in Europe), I trust 100%. The more deviation, the less trust.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »

LMAO at the top review of Dr. M on Vitals.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Shahab_Mahboubian/reviews

Metanoia

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »

Hi Kilokahn, the review from Tall in your link is quite surprising. I don't know whether it's genuine or not, but from what i have seen until now i can say for sure that internals for Tibias are definitely not to be recommended.

Hi Kusop, the problem with Germany is that it doesn't have a legal system like western countries. In Germany you have no chance in a lawsuit against a doctor. The doctor doesn't have any obligations in Germany. That's the reason why Dr. Betz is able to do what he is doing. In the US he would have been sued into bankruptcy long time ago.
This has nothing to do with engineering. And Dr. Betz is no engineer.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

I'm sure it's not the real Tall who wrote that. I remember there were a bunch of people posting on Vitals and giving Dr. M one star reviews while posting with the username Sysop or Apotheosis or Tall. There was a battle where the negative reviews kept getting removed and people kept putting up new ones. Looks like someone put up another bad one lol

Generic

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »

I would prefer Dr. G. but dont fancy the clicking business with the G-Nail, so want to go with the Precice. I was leaning towards doing femurs with Dr. M. - Guess I need to get over there and do a consult with him but the West coast it's a hell of a trip from the UK, would be better to do the consult then go for the surgery in the same week if all was good and I was comfortable.

Anyone have any further opinions or experience with Dr. M. to share please?

Thanks,
Please note I'm not the real Slim Shady or Sysop!

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »

top:

sarin, sringari and any india doc in future- f**king s**t and will f**k up your life.

Kusop, I agreed with most of your opinions but, there is always a but  :)

1/ You mention India as being a corrupt country yet you forgot to add in the US, one of the most corrupted countries in the world. Heck just take a look at the US government... Been well documented regarding corruption
2/ Dr Donghoon and some Russian doctors also offer 2 prices, 1 for local and 1 for foreigners. Completely agree that China is becoming really expensive but they seem to have a good track record and have done tibias a lot.

Infact I would put Dr Xia or who ever is there now over Dr Mahboubian

Everyone has a right to voice their opinions though I dont think its fair to stereotype a doctor based on his country of origin or his place of work. Perfect example of this is on the early pages of Dr Birkholtz thread when everyone stereotyped South Africa as this dangerous, third world place and everyone should stay away paying no attention to the Dr's credentials up to the point where the good doctor had to come on and defend his country. I think thats just wrong. His current patients all seem to be doing fine, not butchered.

programdude

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

After what I heard yesterday I think you'd have to be crazy to go with M.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Carter

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »

After what I heard yesterday I think you'd have to be crazy to go with M.

as in Dr M?  Why?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:04:53 AM by Carter »

YellowSpike

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »

as in Dr M?  Why?

Yeah man, I'd be very curious to know what you heard.

I think that Dr. M is a pretty good doctor. Sort of like a budget version of Dr. Rozbruch/Dr. Paley for the USA. I don't think he's bad.

However, after seeing his disgusting billboards, I would never go to him. Solely for that reason. That's like preying on a man's worst fears. F#ck that sh#t.

Honestly, Dr. Paley and Dr. Rozbruch need a weight-bearing solution. Maybe Precice 3 will be weight bearing. But in the meantime, as much as I hate to leave my country, I'm most likely doing with Dr. Guichet. His patients seem to lengthen and recovery faster than Precice patients.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »

those bill boards are basically like conditioning women to publically think it is acceptable to s**t on short men.

it is basically like saying : hello women short men are there to be laughed at. they are not worth your time if you are taller.

it changes it from a subconscious response to an open public accepted humiliation. (I know it already happens but it will become more prevalent)

I don't agree with advertising openly that women who are taller can laugh at men who are shorter and think of them as worthless.

but that is just my opinion. hell we live in a world where we cant even advertise cigarettes but we are allowed to openly advertise humiliation. 

programdude

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »

Yeah man, I'd be very curious to know what you heard.

I think that Dr. M is a pretty good doctor. Sort of like a budget version of Dr. Rozbruch/Dr. Paley for the USA. I don't think he's bad.

However, after seeing his disgusting billboards, I would never go to him. Solely for that reason. That's like preying on a man's worst fears. F#ck that sh#t.

Honestly, Dr. Paley and Dr. Rozbruch need a weight-bearing solution. Maybe Precice 3 will be weight bearing. But in the meantime, as much as I hate to leave my country, I'm most likely doing with Dr. Guichet. His patients seem to lengthen and recovery faster than Precice patients.

I don't think I should comment on specifics, but someone had a very costly and significant complication.

As for precice, I don't think the weight bearing issue is that bad. With proper PT and exercise I've stayed very strong with it. Of course better weight bearing is always superior, and it sounds like precice 3 will be four times stronger.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Taller

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »

This may sound like a stupid question, but, if Precise 3 is going to be four times stronger, does that mean that it will be able to bear four times more weight?

YellowSpike

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

More importantly, when is Precice 3 coming out? That's honestly a big reason why I'm considering Guichet. If the US doctors had a (truly) weight bearing solution, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

I just really don't want to be in a wheelchair...

programdude

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »

You can use a walker or crutches if you are a reasonable weight

ReadRothbard

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »

You can use a walker or crutches if you are a reasonable weight

I just have too much muscle. I'm 8% bodyfat at 175 lbs.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

programdude

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »

I was similar body fat at 185. I stopped working out for a month and dropped ten pounds, then lost 30 pounds post op. You have to be willing to sacrifice your muscle for the process and build it up after.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

Can't you do leg presses to maintain some of your lower-body muscle mass?
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

programdude

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »

No, they have a flatter version of it at the institute, but for some reason they recently stopped allowing use. Once you are past trauma you can build your leg strength back with other exercises though. I feel quite strong now, like I could walk/jog if it were ok to.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »

Not even with weight bearing nails?

Future space tycoon

programdude

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »

I can't offer first hand experience about that

ReadRothbard

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:15 AM »

I'll talk to Guichet about it; I'm sure he's got some experience with this.

Future space tycoon

afonso

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 11:40:32 PM »

I'm a current LL patient with Dr. Mahboubian and speaking from my personal experience so far it has been positive.  From all the research I did before and comments I've heard since he is a competent surgeon.  On a personality note he is very approachable and has an easy bed side manner.  The one thing I think he should add is a formal PT program.   Not all patients understand how important PT is and without a formal program I thing some opt out of doing it. 

programdude

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »

I'm a current LL patient with Dr. Mahboubian and speaking from my personal experience so far it has been positive.  From all the research I did before and comments I've heard since he is a competent surgeon.  On a personality note he is very approachable and has an easy bed side manner.  The one thing I think he should add is a formal PT program.   Not all patients understand how important PT is and without a formal program I thing some opt out of doing it.
Yeah, the latter seems to be a problem with several dr.'s

TRS

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »

I'd say that PT is the most important factor to successful LL after surgery. Without PT, people will struggle after 4cm and most likely end up with severe contractures at 5cm especially with femoral LL.
What I really like about Dr.B's price is that PT is included for 75 days so you will end up going to the physiotherapist every weekdays.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up