Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaks during Lengthening  (Read 552 times)

Precise2.2

• Visitor
Breaks during Lengthening
« on: November 24, 2023, 01:36:28 AM »

If during femur lengthening with the precise2.2 the pain becomes hard to deal with and you have average consolation can you take a break for a day from lengthening? I read some people saying going into the 40mm+ getting severe nerve and muscle pain and I was wondering if anyone takes a break to let the soft tissue adapt for a day.

Bagga

Re: Breaks during Lengthening
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 02:59:39 AM »

If during femur lengthening with the precise2.2 the pain becomes hard to deal with and you have average consolation can you take a break for a day from lengthening? I read some people saying going into the 40mm+ getting severe nerve and muscle pain and I was wondering if anyone takes a break to let the soft tissue adapt for a day.
I think you can to take a break for one or two days.

CLLvet

Re: Breaks during Lengthening
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »

Yes, you can take breaks. Your surgeon can also slow down the rate of lengthening (i.e. have you only go 0.5mm/day or .75 mm/day instead of the 1 mm/day that is the normal rate for femurs).

The main risk of taking a break or slowing down the lengthening rate is that you will begin to get premature consolidation in your femurs. However, premature consolidation does not normally occur if you only stop lengthening for just a few days.

Either way, it is important for your surgeon to monitor your x-rays. He will be able to tell how rapid of a bone healer you are. This will determine the risk/ benefit analysis of slowing down, increasing, or stopping the lengthening rate for a small interval. 
174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)
Pages: [1]   Go Up