Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Knee Issues  (Read 16047 times)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
My Knee Issues
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

I got a private message about this and wanted to share it with the rest of the forum.

Here's the Universal Pain Assessment Tool:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25724858/UNIVERSAL-PAIN-ASSESSMENT-TOOL

When walking it's 0.5 to 1.  I notice it but can ignore it and just keep walking, for hours if necessary.  After using the knees a lot I barely notice it at all.  If my knees were metal, I'd say they get rusty easily and that using them lubricates them.

When kneeling it's 1 to 3.  I always notice it, and sometimes I can ignore it.  But other times it interferes with tasks.  The worst situation would be walking on my knees on a hard surface.  I'd definitely feel it and it would interfere with how I walked.  Working out doesn't help this at all.  I guess I'd better behave myself since apologizing on my knees would hurt.  :P
Gained 3 inches on tibias (Ilizarov LON) in 2007 at the Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology with Prof. Hetao Xia and Dr. Aiming Peng.

If you have any questions, ask them here rather than by Private Message:
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64544

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: My Knee Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »

Thanks for this. I have to risk the possible permanent knee pain of LON/LATN since I just don't have the time to do external. It's nice to have an idea of what sort of permanent pain I risk getting a rod put in.
Surgery performed by Dr Mangal Parihar at Mangal Anand Center for Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction. http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=634.0
Pre-surgery height:  164 cm (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Post-surgery height: 170 cm (Frames removed 6/29/2015)

Sweden

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

I can't sit on my knees either on a hard surface. It hurts too much.

I'm just home from Taekwondo class and my knees feel sore on the inside bc I jumped a lot.
My ankles hurt on the inside too.
It's terrible.
I think I ruined my life. I can't do   actually.

I'm going to try and do a video this Thursday or tomorrow. Then I'll show you how fast I am and how explosive I can be.

I was the greatest in my town and I ruined it for ~6cm of height. What the hell did I do to myself?
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »

I can't sit on my knees either on a hard surface. It hurts too much.

I'm just home from Taekwondo class and my knees feel sore on the inside bc I jumped a lot.
My ankles hurt on the inside too.
It's terrible.
I think I ruined my life. I can't do s**t actually.

I'm going to try and do a video this Thursday or tomorrow. Then I'll show you how fast I am and how explosive I can be.

I was the greatest in my town and I ruined it for ~6cm of height. What the hell did I do to myself?

Sweden think about it this way if you can:

You are in your mid thirties right? then your athletic prime would soon be over, you have already accomplished more than most people do in terms of sports. So when you eventually stop doing taekwondo those 6 cm will benefit you more than they hurt hopefully. Of course this is assuming the pain issues keep improving.

I know many people who have problems with their knees and legs without having done any LL, their problems come from small injuries and because they are lazy. Its pretty normal. They cannot play sports at a high level because of this but they are happy with their life anyway.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:25:44 AM »

I almost view this as a positive influence on my life (the knee pain).  Whenever I don't feel like working out I remember the knees and the LL and being short.  I already made this tradeoff, I already got my new height, so now I have to pay for it every day with a workout.  There is no going back on the deal.
Gained 3 inches on tibias (Ilizarov LON) in 2007 at the Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology with Prof. Hetao Xia and Dr. Aiming Peng.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:39 AM »

I almost view this as a positive influence on my life (the knee pain).  Whenever I don't feel like working out I remember the knees and the LL and being short.  I already made this tradeoff, I already got my new height, so now I have to pay for it every day with a workout.  There is no going back on the deal.

Thats probably the best way to handle a problem like that, im impressed  :D

The View

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »

Do you workout everyday because your ll? I am sorry I don't understand what you mean are you still recovering?

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:22:54 PM »

My knees are much better. I barely feel them at all.
I can even sit on them on a hard surface but I prefer not to.

Sitting still for an hour or so makes them sore and it takes a while to get them going again, like 5-6 strides.

Running is no problem either for the knees.

Some days they can ache a little and others it's nothing at all.
If I'm up and going I don't feel any ache at all.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »

Just wanted to update everyone on this.  My knees have been progressively getting better since I started this thread.  I don't feel any pain at all when I walk now, and the sensitivity upon kneeling is maybe a 1 on this scale now.

I'm not as anti-internal nail as I once was in light of these developments.

TRS

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:54:12 PM »

Just wanted to update everyone on this.  My knees have been progressively getting better since I started this thread.  I don't feel any pain at all when I walk now, and the sensitivity upon kneeling is maybe a 1 on this scale now.

Very interesting!
Thanks for the update.

TRS

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »

BTW Are you receiving any treatment or have you started any activity that could potentially decrease the knee pain?
If not, then would you have any idea why the pain has subsided? And are there times when your knee pain temporarily rises?

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »

Congratulations, these are very very good news.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »

BTW Are you receiving any treatment or have you started any activity that could potentially decrease the knee pain?
If not, then would you have any idea why the pain has subsided? And are there times when your knee pain temporarily rises?

Hmm...

Three years ago I weighed 160 lbs, and that was when my knee issues were at their worst.  Now I'm down to 135 lbs.  Maybe less stress on my joints is the reason.  My diet has also been a bit healthier in the past couple of years, so maybe improved nutrition also plays a part.

But that could very well be an illusory correlation.  160 lbs isn't all that heavy.

theuprising

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »

With the studies mentioning permanent knee pain I would be curious to see if the percentage of complications was still over 70% after 10 years for example. Glad to hear your pain has decreased mdow however I'll still be steering clear of tibial nailing.  :P

crimsontide

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 12:37:55 AM »

glad to see this!!!

btw, when people say they are against tiabial nailing,

internal tibias always requires tibial nailing, correct??

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 01:38:03 AM »

glad to see this!!!

btw, when people say they are against tiabial nailing,

internal tibias always requires tibial nailing, correct??

By definition.

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »

I got a private message about this and wanted to share it with the rest of the forum.

Here's the Universal Pain Assessment Tool:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25724858/UNIVERSAL-PAIN-ASSESSMENT-TOOL

When walking it's 0.5 to 1.  I notice it but can ignore it and just keep walking, for hours if necessary.  After using the knees a lot I barely notice it at all.  If my knees were metal, I'd say they get rusty easily and that using them lubricates them.

When kneeling it's 1 to 3.  I always notice it, and sometimes I can ignore it.  But other times it interferes with tasks.  The worst situation would be walking on my knees on a hard surface.  I'd definitely feel it and it would interfere with how I walked.  Working out doesn't help this at all.  I guess I'd better behave myself since apologizing on my knees would hurt.  :P

Not trying to sound smart but I'm going to assume that kneeling down on concrete would hurt anyone and not just former LL patients.

6'2_dream

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »

Hello Friend
I would like to know how it is now, the pains are better, are you training enough?
height: 5'10 - 1.78m
wingspan: 6'1-1.85m
dream : 6'1 - 6'2 - 1.85m-1.88m

Sweden

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 10:30:21 PM »

I can update my pain level as well. I almost feel no pain at all in my knees anymore and I run, jump, do martial arts and all there is to it today and I feel barely anything.

I got used to the pain so nowadays I’m surprised I don’t feel it anymore.

There is still a little bit of stiffness in the mornings but it’s nothing really. I mean, who isn’t stiff in the morning? :)

I was just out for a long run and there is no sensitivity or any pain in the knees.

I’ve been actively trying to fix my Xlegs with many exercises and have special made insoles I use when I walk.
Maybe it has helped, don’t know - but life without pain is better!! :)

And no, I won’t remove my rods in my legs. I will die with them in there.

6'2_dream

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »

Hello Friend Sweden
How nice that you can jump and run.
congratulations for the dedication, no doubt you had evolution and few pains today because you were very dedicated in training.
how interesting I did not know there was surgery that did not remove the internal rods.
height: 5'10 - 1.78m
wingspan: 6'1-1.85m
dream : 6'1 - 6'2 - 1.85m-1.88m

myloginacc

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 12:44:47 AM »

Interesting.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Movie

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 09:33:16 AM »

how come? what's the point of leaving them in?
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

KrP1

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »

I can update my pain level as well. I almost feel no pain at all in my knees anymore and I run, jump, do martial arts and all there is to it today and I feel barely anything.

I got used to the pain so nowadays I’m surprised I don’t feel it anymore.

There is still a little bit of stiffness in the mornings but it’s nothing really. I mean, who isn’t stiff in the morning? :)

I was just out for a long run and there is no sensitivity or any pain in the knees.

I’ve been actively trying to fix my Xlegs with many exercises and have special made insoles I use when I walk.
Maybe it has helped, don’t know - but life without pain is better!! :)

you will have more athletic hability with them out, i feel that way after removal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up