Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking Normally  (Read 3100 times)

Will

• Visitor
Walking Normally
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »

I know that people have mentioned permanent issues with knee pain and stretched soft tissue, but I was wondering how long it would take for someone to be able to walk completely normally after LL 5" with something like the giuchet nail. I know these values will be estimates I'm just trying to ball park it while I save for the consultation and the procedure. Thanks in advance!

ChrisIsaak

Re: Walking Normally
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

My Surgery Date - Early January.
Surgery Method - Internal Femur (Fitbone)
Lengthening Amount - 8 cm (80 days), finish lengthening in late March/early April
Walking Again -

Under NORMAL conditions, wait for 1-1,5 more months (up to mid-May) for sufficient bone consolidation, then walk with a walker. Some additional time needed to walk without walkers. Simple formula for consolidation is "One month for one centimeter". 8 cm = 8 months post-op = August (predicted month for full bone consolidation). However, walking before August without walkers is definitely possible.

These are predicted dates. I will give the exact recovery stage dates once I'm complete with the whole journey. I'm not the average patient, I'm young (22) and I expect a much earlier recovery.

HOWEVER, I will opt for one extra surgery in early April for installation of titanium sheets in my bones for extra support. Therefore, I will be able to walk immediately with walkers after completing the lengthening stage. This will be better for me, since weightbearing makes the bone consolidate faster.

I want to be walking normally in May. There's someone that I want to beat the   out of, he's coming to Istanbul on May. I'll either beat him with bare hands or with crutches.. We'll see.

PrettyTall

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

You will do 8cm in nearlly 3month ?
My Surgery Date - Early January.
Surgery Method - Internal Femur (Fitbone)
Lengthening Amount - 8 cm (80 days), finish lengthening in late March/early April
Walking Again -

Under NORMAL conditions, wait for 1-1,5 more months (up to mid-May) for sufficient bone consolidation, then walk with a walker. Some additional time needed to walk without walkers. Simple formula for consolidation is "One month for one centimeter". 8 cm = 8 months post-op = August (predicted month for full bone consolidation). However, walking before August without walkers is definitely possible.

These are predicted dates. I will give the exact recovery stage dates once I'm complete with the whole journey. I'm not the average patient, I'm young (22) and I expect a much earlier recovery.

HOWEVER, I will opt for one extra surgery in early April for installation of titanium sheets in my bones for extra support. Therefore, I will be able to walk immediately with walkers after completing the lengthening stage. This will be better for me, since weightbearing makes the bone consolidate faster.

I want to be walking normally in May. There's someone that I want to beat the s**t out of, he's coming to Istanbul on May. I'll either beat him with bare hands or with crutches.. We'll see.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »

80 days, yes. Nearly 3 months.

Will

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:46:09 AM »

And would you be walking 'normally' like you did before the procedure? Without a noticeable change in gait?

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »

And would you be walking 'normally' like you did before the procedure? Without a noticeable change in gait?

Eventually, yes.

Watch the videos posted by Dr. Donghoon Lee on Youtube, showing his patients' walking/gait at different amounts of lengthening, and different timelines. Even 5 months post-op and 6 months post-op display a huge difference in how the walking appears, the recovery process is swift for the average patient.

Some people claim that you'll never be back at 100% again, I don't agree with them. One of them is Sweden though, and he used to be a pro athlete. So  his understanding of 100% and my understanding of it might be different. We both like to push ourselves hard, but I don't have an athletic past to regret losing. I also sincerely believe that Sweden, OBG, and all the other guys out there will eventually get back to 100%, even though it might take a longer time for some individuals and less for others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up