Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Information about arm lenghtening (3 studies focused on recovery)  (Read 4510 times)

Uppland

I have found three studies concerning complications when lenghtening the humerus. None of them include cosmetic operations and all of the subjects had some kind ailment that stopped their arm(s) from growing properly. Overall the results are ranging from positive to very positive with only temporary complications being reported. In one of the study the average follow up was 8,7 years yet there was no long term damage.

Another study concludes that 0-2CM is preferable to avoid any risk of neurological impairment however the average lenghtening in the other two studies were 6,2CM (going as high as 10,5) and 5CM respectively, It's worth mentioning that the more conservative study is made under special circumstances (after reverse shoulder arthroplasty) that I don't understand, though I only read through the abstracts.

I think this is good news for anyone considering lenghtening their arms but one question that remains is wether or not these subjects differ from us "normal" patients in any way that might affect the recovery process. Perhaps their soft tissue is beter fitted for longer bones for example? I need to ask a doctor about this. Anyway thought I'd share and hopefully help some unsure members to decide if the surgery is for them.

Here are the studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323419/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16199941

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24271331

ReadRothbard

Re: Information about arm lenghtening (3 studies focused on recovery)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »

Nice collection of studies. I was possibly thinking about arm-lengthening to go from a 68.5 inch wingspan to a 71.5 inch one after doing ll to 6'1. 1.5 inches (a little less than 4 cm) on each humerus should be relatively moderate (that would be about 15% of original bone length). Luckily, I already have a wingspan greater than my height.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Uppland

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »

Yes thank you I'll see what else I can find tomorrow.

Even though I've heard both ptients and doctors say that humerus is comparatibly easier than femur/tibia I assume the risks/damage are the same -perhaps more mild. It is common to disturbe the nerve that runs along the bone but that is allegedly a minor and ,most importantly, temporary complication. Still fine motor function is more important in arms rather than legs so I'd say play it safe and stay below 3CM It'll also go faster according to one study each centimeter translated to about 33 days (I think) of physical therapy and bone consolidation.

There is also the issue of the lack of casestudies on cosmetic patients -perhaps they differ from medical ones. All in all 2-3CM should be a realistic goal from what I've gathered so far but it's possible (if there is no added difficulties for us "normal" patients) that 5-6CM could be safe as well.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:25 AM »

Uppland,

You seem pretty determined to have this done on top of LL. I think that may be a little overzealous. If you take the LL plunge, do a responsible amount of lengthening and then revalue after that. It sucks that your wingspan is already shorter, but even if you do end up statistical anomaly, do you think the extra 2/3cm on each arm would be worth the risk? I'm curious as to whether it would be noticeable or not. I honestly don't know. I've never encountered someone in life that blatantly stood out as having short arms at any height, and wingspan varies so much per individual I'd have to seriously question if that amount would be discernible to an unsuspecting eye.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:54:12 AM »

I would rather go through arm lenghtening than live the rest of my life with (too) short arms, however it will be my very last resort. My plan is to lenghten to 186CM (7,5CM) as that is the minimum height I'd be satisfied with if I find my arms too short (and unfortunately it looks like they will be) I will go through with a conservative amount of arm lengtening.

A few centimeters make a big difference my dad is 8CM taller than me and has only 3CM longer arms -I measured them precisely.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:01 AM »

i intend for this surgery probably too..... but maybe next time..

has anyone ever done this in this forum?

problem is my armspan is only 169-170 and I want to go from 174 to 182 with tibia lengthening.

yes short arms are not noticeable in general but i've been told once i've a short arm from my girlfriend... :O

others dont comment tho.. and she was brought to attention to it cos i told her about my worry of disproportion

microman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

were these studies done with external device, or was it internal, at least with external we know it would be affordable.

looks like a monorail to me, maybe like what mitkovic offers, apparently they were still able to use there arms dusing the lengthening.

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 02:21:08 PM »

were these studies done with external device, or was it internal, at least with external we know it would be affordable.

looks like a monorail to me, maybe like what mitkovic offers, apparently they were still able to use there arms dusing the lengthening.

It should say in the studies.

Emef

• Newbi
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »

Hell with the studies.a guy on old forum did about 5cm of humerus lengthening and he seemed to have a pretty good recovery
Mod Note: Was originally banned temporarily for clone account "YEMEF" on Oct 15 and informed of the reason with ban message ""banned for clone account: Emef:Yemf".  Return only to lie  that " this forum does that without giving an explanation without doing anything wrong".  Banned again on Feb 16.
Pages: [1]   Go Up