Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early signs of a stress fracture  (Read 8785 times)

programdude

Early signs of a stress fracture
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »

Seeing as my left leg snapped in half, I wanted to share some of the early signs that could possibly save unlucky members in the (unlikely) event of a stress fracture after rod removal.

For me it came on suddenly during a normal, short lengthed walk. It was very much like muscular pain- feeling sore at first.

The pain was constant, especially bad while lying down to sleep or when lifting off from a step while walking.

Pain is deep and ambiguous somewhat. The reason I initially didn't believe it was a bone problem was because it spanned all the way from above the fracture area, to just above my kneecap- areas which weren't touched by the surgeries.

The most obvious- and what in retrospect really should have been a giveaway- were the cracking sounds my leg made- when I was lying down on my back- I bent my knee up, and dropped my leg to the side- at the time desperate to resolve my "muscle" pain with stretching. Many crackles would happen any and every time I did this particular notion.

Some people seem to report feeling a slight dull and deep pain before the sharper serious ones come on. My initial experience has made me paranoid about my right leg which has done lots of walking recently. Anytime my legs get sore I get worried unfortunately to the point I am considering mostly using crutches for a few weeks to remove any concern.

Hope this all helps people. It is always better to catch a stress fracture before it snaps. Trust me, being out and about and having it shatter on you is not a good time
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

alps

Re: Early signs of a stress fracture
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »

thanks for the info programdude!

Just wanted to add that I read somewhere about this new "3d" xray kind of thing where you can see how well your bone has filled which a normal x-ray wouldn't show.

I think emanuel put a picture of it?

I guess if you hold off on rod-removal until this new x-ray affirmatively says you're fine, it will be safer.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely keep this useful info for the next two years until I fully consolidate. You were not the first to get a stress fracture, though. Someone else who did a lot of hiking got a stress fracture. Was there ever a sharp pain? I sometimes get that when I put weight on my legs in certain positions like bending down on my knees.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

programdude

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »

There were three days or so from the initial pain to the break. It started off as an ambiguous ache, but there were sharper pangs of pain randomly. And around a day or two in a limp developed from the pain.

You can do a fulcrum or hopping test also to determine if you have a fracture in most cases- though if the pain is massive, this risks a break, since doing a fulcrum test like motion is how I actually snapped it the first time.

Another thing I noticed was that the pain didn't subside from oxycodone noticeably. I had some left over from my surgery and took some since the pain had become so serious and it didn't help with anything but making me more tired.

I should note that most people according to dr. R will have a stress fracture or fracture closer to the surgery. Dr. R was bewildered that not only did a fracture occurred, but months after. It is also weird since I didn't do much walking and certainly no running before it happened- so even if you haven't been exerting yourself be wary.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

alps

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

do you know the name of that 3d imaging which shows the bone cloud more clearly?

goldenegg

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »

really helpful info thanks PD 

definitely know what you mean about paranoia...  reading about your experience has made me really aware and careful whenever I feel any pain now.  none of my pain has been constant so far, but I can't help but think about the worst sometimes

programdude

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »

I understand... This forum sometimes helps, but it also contributes a lot to create collective paranoia.
I think its better to be cautious with something like this than not. If I had read a post about a snapped leg I would have gotten mine checked out when the pain started, and saved myself some money and an awful, painful experience.

Just don't be ridiculous with it. If your leg pain is mild and goes away, its not serious. If pain is very consistent and lingering and deep just get it checked out and if its good, then push it from your mind. Don't obsess over non issues- and for most this will be a non issue.

If pain is super severe- play it safe- don't run, be conservative with walking, and DONT stretch it or apply pressure to the sides, where the bone is weaker- And get it checked out ASAP. Once severe pain starts is where you are in the danger zone. If it is mild, although you might escalate to a severe stress fracture shortly after, from over use, it is probably not going to abruptly snap unless it got smashed by a hammer etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up