Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going home for consolidation with external frames??  (Read 2198 times)

secondclasscitizen

• Visitor
Going home for consolidation with external frames??
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »

Is going home for the consolidation process with external frames a logical way to go? I know it would be best to stay close to the physician while consolidating but if one were to go home and follow the physical therapy as needed would that be a viable option?  I have seen that in Beijing the stay provided for the cost is 4 month, but typically the bones take longer to consolidate than that, so Im curious as to where the patients go for the remainder of the process.

Of course I take into account that I would be at the airport with giant frames on my legs, but I would prefer to be in my own country while my bones heal if possible.

I am both a US and Canadian Citizen so I would even consider going to Canada while my bones heal since health care is much cheaper and I could possibly get check rehabilitated there for substantially lower than I could in the US. I'm not sure if this is legal I don't plan on committing any sort of fraud so if that isn't a legal option it isn't something I would do.

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
Re: Going home for consolidation with external frames??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »

I remember reading one of the Russian diaries where someone did that. I'm considering externals myself and going home is something I thought about, but I would be terrified if my friends called to the house and I live in a housing estate where the houses are separated by a 3 - 6 foot gap, so many people would see me during the day, especially during Summer because it doesn't get dark until 10 - 11 PM.

I've been looking into renting apartments and it's very cheap compared hotel, guesthouse and hospital prices, but you'd need someone to feed you.

I also don't see how it would be illegal for you to get healthcare in Canada. It's not as if the US government can force you to pay for their healthcare.

crimsontide

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:04 AM »

giant frames???   some of the frames are really quite small, and easily concealed by pants, or even jeans... im doing external very soon, and will go home during consolidation. i plan on having a normal life during consolidation, except i wont be wearing shorts

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:43 AM »

Is going home for the consolidation process with external frames a logical way to go? I know it would be best to stay close to the physician while consolidating but if one were to go home and follow the physical therapy as needed would that be a viable option?  I have seen that in Beijing the stay provided for the cost is 4 month, but typically the bones take longer to consolidate than that, so Im curious as to where the patients go for the remainder of the process.

Of course I take into account that I would be at the airport with giant frames on my legs, but I would prefer to be in my own country while my bones heal if possible.

I am both a US and Canadian Citizen so I would even consider going to Canada while my bones heal since health care is much cheaper and I could possibly get check rehabilitated there for substantially lower than I could in the US. I'm not sure if this is legal I don't plan on committing any sort of fraud so if that isn't a legal option it isn't something I would do.

In Beijing they put fixed internal nails in the legs and remove the frames when you're done lengthening.  You go home with just the internal nail for the consolidation phase.

If you're thinking of doing external-only and leaving the frames on during consolidation, I think that would be fine also.  You wouldn't really need special care as long as the frames don't get damaged or your legs don't get injured.

secondclasscitizen

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »

Thanks a lot for the responses!
Pages: [1]   Go Up