Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiting Factor in Recovery - External Tibias  (Read 6808 times)

Russianblues

Limiting Factor in Recovery - External Tibias
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »

I am curious what the limiting factor in people's recovery was in returning to normal function? Everyone seems to harp on about flexibility and strength(balance) so throughout my recovery I have stretched like crazy and attempted to gain back as much strength as possible.

I think finally I have gotten to a point where my flexibility and strength whilst nowhere near my pre-LL level are at a point where they should not hinder my walking or jogging. The thing that's stopping me from being recovered now is just pain as if I just suck it up then I can walk normally. Walking is really painful in my ankles/achilles especially which actually prevents me from walking and also hurts my knees but is bearable (in the knees). It doesn't seem to be getting better either. I have been walking to a landmark pretty far away (Approx 600m away) everyday for the past week and before when it was my ballerina holding me back I would make improvements everyday. Now the walk hurts just as much as the day before, having to wince going down gutters etc. What really made me realize physiologically my body was able to deal with walking normally and jogging was when I effectively took a strong painkiller. I was able to walk normally, stand for hours, play pool, jump up and down gutters with no issues and generally have a nice fluid motion. Talked to multiple people throughout the night and no one ever mentioned something was wrong as usually I get asked "what happened?" by anyone who walks with me for longer than 10 mins, even talking with a girl at the end of the night who I had walked around with heaps she was extremely surprised when I told her I spent the last 3 months in bed recovering from two broken legs.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Did you go through a similar thing or was it simply a case of you got rid of your ballerina then you could walk normally?

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Re: Limiting Factor in Recovery - External Tibias
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »

I reckon you still have the rods inside you?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Russianblues

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »

Yes I had the surgery October 10th 2013. I am fkED if it's going to be like this for the next 2 years.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »

4 months after my surgery I was nowhere near where I am now.  I think you just hit a temporary plateau.

Russianblues

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

4 months after my surgery I was nowhere near where I am now.  I think you just hit a temporary plateau.

Did you have a period after your surgery where you thought your flexibility and strength were satisfactory to facilitate normal walking but you still struggled to walk normally for decent distances due to pain/uncomfortable sensations?

Also, how long after you could walk normally was it before you could go down steps normally without a bannister? Going down steps is probably the last day to day task I still am awful at.

Cheers

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »

I never really had a problem with distances.  I could keep walking until I got tired.  That's not to say I didn't have pain, but it wasn't bad enough that I had to quit because of it.

It'll definitely take more than a few months to walk down stairs normally.  I didn't get there until the internal nails were removed.

crimsontide

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »

it seems recovery is easier with external only.... you have to wear frames for longer, but seems safer in the end..

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »

Hey man,

How have you found the extra height to be? Do you feel definitively taller than before or does it not seem much? As you know, I'm opting for 5-6cm as well so... Just want to know if you think it was worth it, lol.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Russianblues

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »

It'll definitely take more than a few months to walk down stairs normally.  I didn't get there until the internal nails were removed.

Jesus

Russianblues

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

Hey man,

How have you found the extra height to be? Do you feel definitively taller than before or does it not seem much? As you know, I'm opting for 5-6cm as well so... Just want to know if you think it was worth it, lol.

I didn't feel at all taller in the guesthouse, but, I do now. Whether or not it was worth it is another story although you shouldn't worry about that man it's already too late for you haha.

Russianblues

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

it seems recovery is easier with external only.... you have to wear frames for longer, but seems safer in the end..

I think I've recovered relatively quickly. Going off the diaries I planned to recover till August. Of the day to day things I just need to go down stairs ok then I can function relatively normally.

Russianblues

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »

When I said external in the title I meant LON, my mistake.

hand_sanitizer

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »

Yo Russianblue, how u doing bro!? I personally believe ankle is the most limiting factor to recovery. I'm pretty much in the same boat as u, the only way i can walk normally is when I'm on painkillers, lol. That being said, i think our recovery is pretty decent considering the time frame. I'm at the 5th month now so I'm positive that my condition will improve tremendously by the 6th month.

Russianblues

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »

Yo Russianblue, how u doing bro!? I personally believe ankle is the most limiting factor to recovery. I'm pretty much in the same boat as u, the only way i can walk normally is when I'm on painkillers, lol. That being said, i think our recovery is pretty decent considering the time frame. I'm at the 5th month now so I'm positive that my condition will improve tremendously by the 6th month.

Sup man!

You're at home now right? Must feel good :). I agree I think all things considered we've had quite quick recovery.

Funnily enough, my walking is perfect when I've smoked. No pain in the ankles and completely fluid motion. Still can't go down stairs though. I've got university in exactly one month so I really hope I can continue to progress in the following month as well. If I can go down stairs comfortably I will be very happy.

When I left we were both improving so much everyday. Do you still make such big progress each day or like me have you stalled a bit? Really sucks being in the same condition for like over a week after making massive gains everyday up until that point.

hand_sanitizer

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »

We're in the same boat, I'm at a stall for now. Funny thing is that there are days when I'm fine and there are days I'm struggling to walk (like today). I actually feel the same coming back home and it appears that i lost a CM or so and my calf gone sooo much bigger! I think i may experience hyper growth which to me, isn't a pleasant sight.
I can't do stairs yet, can't run and can't jump, weird thing is that my right ankle (which is the good foot) is performing worse than my left one (the one with ballerina) that's so bizzare.
Anyway, good to hear u're doing well! ur recovery rate is astounding mate! I never heard anyone walk with 3.5 months so congrats to u!

Smallguy

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 12:34:52 AM »

Russianblue,

Just got home from the gym and read your thread.

Try riding the bicycle for the first few weeks you're home, follow by the steps. Then move on to more extraneous machines like the treadmill and try lifting weights standing up. This will strengthen your balance.

You're still early in your recovery phase but eventually will get there.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up