Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Wannabegiants tibial lengthening in Moscow, Dr. Bagirov  (Read 163898 times)

Wannabegiant

Re: Wannabegiants tibial lengthening in Moscow, Dr. Bagirov
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 05:26:10 AM »

Yeah Im kind of scared of going home during distraction, but most people report problems either in the very beginning, or at the end for those who lengthen a lot.

So i think if i can avoid the early problems i should be fine since im only lengthening 4 cms.

I dont think i can extend my visa, since i would have to apply again, and i dont know where i would go to do that when im in Russia. I would need the updated insurance cerfitifate as well, and it works kind of like a subscription, so we wouldnt be able to update it until it ends (we get a bill to renew it once it ends in the first of April)

if something goes very wrong, its a 2 hour flight away. Also i think an ortopedic in Sweden should be able to help me with most of the smaller problems at least.

Its a risk for sure to lengthen at home, but i dont think i have a choice. Also it would be quite expensive to stay a month in this hospital. I think its like 80 euro on average per day..

Disobedient

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »

its a 2 hour flight away
well since you're paying so much attention to the cost, I don't think you'll go for this option

apply for tourist visa now that one shouldn't be so complicated to get.. 80 euro is not so expensive if it include the meals and nursing..
per in mind it's not just the surgery that it must be done in a good way... treating the complication that may occur is challenging and need experience dr, otherwise I  think any dr could do LL operation very well it's not a big deal, but you cant choose any dr to deal with complications.. it just my opinion ....

Today is your surgery, right?

Wannabegiant

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »

Update:

i had the surgery about 1 hour ago, everything went smoothly, I was awake during the procedure with local anesthesia. It was over in about 30 mins i think but i couldnt keep track of time that accurately.

Right now i have mixed feelings, I know that i HAD to do this, but I feel a bit down since I can barely move my legs now.

Also the information i recieved so far was a bit bothersome. Apparantly I had a quite substantial angle discrepancy on my tibias (I always had this apparantly, never had any problems because of it that im aware of), its easily fixable acccording to the doctor but because of this i have to stay for minimum 2 weeks so he can adjust the rotation of it. Then i can make the decision when i go home and continue lengthen.

The other bothersome information i recieved is that they believe the distraction phase will take about 8 weeks to complete, thats 56 days, with lengthening 1 mm a day I thought it would take about 40 days? I dont know yet but i think while fixing the angle problem i should be able to lengthen at the same time, if not that might explain why there is about 2 extra weeks for distraction. I will have to ask for clarification here.

Also the last bothersome thing was that they believe that i will have the frames for 6 months, but I guess that is including the time i will spend distracting, in that case it makes sense. Hopefully i can shorten this time somehow.

Thank god that the personell is so good here though, they are all very nice and friendly (not anything like the russian stereotype) and there is a quite young girl named Anna who works here who is a blessing, she can speak decent english and she is cute and so nice and caring. Also Dr. Bagirov himself while he barely knows any english, is a friendly guy who smiles a lot and seems caring. Also he seems to be very skilled and he answered all the questions i could think of at the moment without any problems.

I guess I was to optimistic about the time schedule.. I was hoping to get this done relatively fast, doesnt seem likely at this point. I wont be able to wear shorts for the entire summer it seems.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:28:11 PM by Wannabegiant »

jerry

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »

30 minutes, that's kind of fast.  Are the frames smaller and are you feeling any pain?   Congrats on a smooth surgery.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »

30 minutes, that's kind of fast.  Are the frames smaller and are you feeling any pain?   Congrats on a smooth surgery.

Yeah it felt really fast, they gave me earpieces so i could listen to music while they did the surgery. I got anesthesia through a spine injection, was slightly painful but mostly scary.

I feel a little bit of pain in my legs, but i would mostly call it discomfort rather than pain, they feel tense and swollen. I can move my toes pretty easily which the doctor said is a good sign. I dont really feel tired either, but i slept very well last night afterall.

But i must say it feels really scary and bad just thinking about the fact that your bones are cut off, im afraid to even move because of this even though they assure me that i will be walking by tomorrow with aid.

Also I had a Q&A a few minutes ago with Dr Bagirov and another surgeon who could translate. Its good to write it down what they said here so i remember the answers.

They told me that the whole process could be over in 6 months, that is including the whole distraction phase. so that feels kind of what i expected. Distraction is slower than i expected, but apparantly it is because i wont start distracting until 5 days.. this makes me worried about premature consolidation but at least they will be here to notice it if it happens. Then i will distract for 5 more days and on day 10 Dr Bagirov will start to correct the angle problem, he told me that he already fixed half of the angle discrepancy during the surgery, and the rest he will start to fix on day 10, and that will take about 4 days i think.

Then i can fly home, and Dr. Bagirov is very certain that i wont run into any big complications, only small problems might appear and he told me that he will be able to instruct me through email about how i can fix these problems while im home. After 2 months i will fly back and he can make any final adjustments if needed, also if i have any cosmetic concerns he will fix them as well without charging.

Then i go back home again and just wait for the bones to harden.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Also:

The frames are definitely smaller than the average externals i have seen. They can be hidden pretty easily under soft pants and probably some slightly wider type of jeans. But they are honestly a little bigger than i expected them to be, not sure why i expected that.

Also I will get everything including instructions to lengthen, what supplements are recommended, physical therapy exercises etc, written down soon. Makes me feel better.

The whole feeling of, "whoa cant believe im doing this" has pretty much gone away now. The sensation of excitement and being nervous has changed to me feeling restless and impatient..At least im happy that im not wasting any more time from now on, im actually working to make my life better every day from now on, and that is what keeps me positive right now.

Taller

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Congratulations Wannabegiant! It sounds like you really found a fantastic doctor and I wish you all the luck in the world.

If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could post some pics of your frames?

Thanks,
Tall

Wannabegiant

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

Congratulations Wannabegiant! It sounds like you really found a fantastic doctor and I wish you all the luck in the world.

If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could post some pics of your frames?

Thanks,
Tall

Thank you! Yeah he seems very intelligent, caring and experienced. And since the surgery went so smoothly and he doesnt dodge any question i feel relatively safe.

Im currently not in condition to take any pics, i cant move out of bed on my own (at least i dont dare to try, and probably shouldnt) and im under the bedsheet. I will take pics whenever i can, but depending on how i feel tomorrow, i might wait to upload pictures until i get home, so in 14 days.  :P

Taller

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »

Yikes. I didn't realize how immobile you are at the moment. Sorry about that.

You take it easy and don't worry about the pics. I must say though, that I do envy your privilege of staying in bed all day  ;) Look at the bright side. At least you don't have to go to work for a few days!

Good luck,
Tall

Wannabegiant

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »

Yikes. I didn't realize how immobile you are at the moment. Sorry about that.

You take it easy and don't worry about the pics. I must say though, that I do envy your privilege of staying in bed all day  ;) Look at the bright side. At least you don't have to go to work for a few days!

Good luck,
Tall

No worries man, it feels good to have people to talk to while im here. The pics will come eventually  :)

also i must tell you.. for most of 2014 i didnt do much other than stay in my room preparing and waiting for this surgery to happen, i decided to postpone my final school term in my university program to do this surgery so i havent been studying or doing anything this year other than in january to finish classes from last term.

I will finish the last term at the end of this year instead, i figured my results would be better if i can study while being happy with myself, so it was the obvious choice for me.

I also avoided meeting with most friends and acquaintances this year, the more time spent before they see me, the less likely they will notice that i changed during this trip. (i lied about going to another country where i have relatives to get work there, since i wouldnt finish school this term, and they bought it)

So its actually less depressing here than i have been the last 2 months in my home kind of  :P

just4cm

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »

Congratulations! I wish u all the best.

When u'll have time could u please write those excercises dr told u to do? :-) Thank you!  :)

mediocre

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »

Have you pre-arranged an orthopod in Sweden to follow you up once you get home?

No worries man, it feels good to have people to talk to while im here. The pics will come eventually  :)

also i must tell you.. for most of 2014 i didnt do much other than stay in my room preparing and waiting for this surgery to happen, i decided to postpone my final school term in my university program to do this surgery so i havent been studying or doing anything this year other than in january to finish classes from last term.

I will finish the last term at the end of this year instead, i figured my results would be better if i can study while being happy with myself, so it was the obvious choice for me.

I also avoided meeting with most friends and acquaintances this year, the more time spent before they see me, the less likely they will notice that i changed during this trip. (i lied about going to another country where i have relatives to get work there, since i wouldnt finish school this term, and they bought it)

So its actually less depressing here than i have been the last 2 months in my home kind of  :P

Wannabegiant

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »

I will post all the info here that will be of help for future patients including the exercises for sure.

And now that you mention it I probably should think ahead and make contact with an orthopedic sooner than later..I have lots of time and i dont think it takes very long to get a meeting but still.

i appreciate all the advice :D

Gonna finish watching a movie, then its sleepy time. I have barely had any pain today, they gave me an automatic pain killer supplier, its dripping 6 ml every hour into my spine, works wonderful.

paco

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »

good luck wannabegiants.

I am considering doctor salameh, but this doctor it looks like very good. do you know how many patients he has made for cosmetic lengthening?

i am from spain.

cheers

Wannabegiant

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »

good luck wannabegiants.

I am considering doctor salameh, but this doctor it looks like very good. do you know how many patients he has made for cosmetic lengthening?

i am from spain.

cheers

Thank you!

Yeah Dr Salameh is also a very good option i think. The main differences between them imo is that Salameh is considerably more expensive (in Germany) but his external device seems smaller and easier to hide compared to the ones Bagirov uses (I have them, and while they are smaller than average, only a few types of trousers would be able to reliably hide them imo, but i havent tried yet.

In terms of how talented they are as surgeons i dont think there is any easy way to compare, both seem very talented. Dr Bagirov told me not to worry about complications as he has done "many, many surgeries", this he told me straight up with the limited english he knows  :) I didnt want to question his skills as it seemed rude, so i didnt ask specifically how many though.

thetallerman

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »

I've been enjoying reading your diary but I really must ask and I'm sure you've thought about it: "Why only 4cm?" This surgery, lengthening, and consolidation process will be a pretty traumatic part of your life and cost you money and time as well as the fact you won't be able to do many everyday, physical things and will be an invalid for months. 4cm is only 1.57inches which is a nice little gain but in my opinion if you target at least 2 to 2.5 inches, you'll notice a much stronger gain after the surgery and probably look back without regret. It's really your decision but for such an endeavor as limb lengthing, this is something I'd recommend you take time to think deeply about.
Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »

I've been enjoying reading your diary but I really must ask and I'm sure you've thought about it: "Why only 4cm?" This surgery, lengthening, and consolidation process will be a pretty traumatic part of your life and cost you money and time as well as the fact you won't be able to do many everyday, physical things and will be an invalid for months. 4cm is only 1.57inches which is a nice little gain but in my opinion if you target at least 2 to 2.5 inches, you'll notice a much stronger gain after the surgery and probably look back without regret. It's really your decision but for such an endeavor as limb lengthing, this is something I'd recommend you take time to think deeply about.

Ive been asked that a lot. The main reasons is that i know i will be satisfied with myself at that height (178 cm), it will be much easier to hide the truth from my friends with a smaller height gain, and also because i wont have to be hide from them for as long. I dont want to risk getting weird proportions either, and i want to have a higher chance of achieving full recovery.

But i can understand why people think one should get as much as possible from such a huge sacrifice of time, money and effort that is LL.

But from my point of view, with gaining 4 cms, i already will have to wear the frames for a minimun 5 months in total (including lengthening phase) and that means no partying, no sex etc for the entire period. summer will be ruined since i cant swim and wear shorts among other things, and i will always have to be cautious when outside and meeting friends because they might notice the frames under my trousers, or they might bump into me and find out.

I wouldnt want to increase that period with even one month or more just to be maybe 1 cm taller than the 4 cm i planned on.

I also intend to intensively try out taking glucosamine sulphate once i enter the consolidation phase, and probably permanently after im healed. I have heard of people getting as much as 3 cms of height after some months of taking the pills every day. How much you can gain from this probably varies from individuals but it has been confirmed to give some height at least, also it is gained in the spine so it will counter balance the proportions i get from this surgery a bit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:33:01 PM by Wannabegiant »

mediocre

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »

You just got to improvise..

no sex etc for the entire period...

thetallerman

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:50 AM »

Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

Taller

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »

I've heard of situations where two people wearing Ilizarov frames make love. That metal on metal action must really make the sparks fly  ;)

mediocre

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 05:38:13 AM »

Not a problem. Just like to lovers kissing with dental braces on.

I've heard of situations where two people wearing Ilizarov frames make love. That metal on metal action must really make the sparks fly  ;)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »

Haha you guys are pretty funny.. ;)

Right now i feel a bit down, I was off pain medication for most of the day and even tried to walk for a bit(they removed the spine tube and the urine tube), but after only walking a little, i felt dizzy and had to lay down again, they said this is normal. After standing up the pain in my legs got progressively worse and eventually it become to much so I called them to give me pain killers, i got injection into my leg and the pain slowly was reduced but not completely. It wasnt super painful to begin with but constant and the feeling was strong enough to make you unable to focus on anything else. now it is minor.

Anna really is fantastic, she had the day off but still came to check how i was doing, we where talking about some casual things and laughing, really made me feel better. It helps that she is beautiful too and caring, looks especially good in her casual clothes. She knows decent english but I used google translate and she had some ipad app that worked even better at translating russian into english.

Overall i must say that this is definitely the hardest challenge of my life so far, having to lie to friends and being gone for so long losing precious time, spending a lot of money on a thing which many people in my country has naturally.., the pain and the inability to move and being bored and frustrated etc, and it has only just begun.. although i feel this will definitely become more manageable after the first weeks, the pain lessens, and i will fly home in 12 days and when at home time will pass faster and i wont feel as lonely.

Smallguy

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 12:15:44 AM »

Aren't you staying there for lengthening like other patients? Or you are going to lengthen at home?

Anyway, you should offer to teach Anna some English or ask to learn some Russian *wink* *wink* maybe something might happen.

Yes, it's the hardest part of your life. But once you get through with this, you won't regret it. It's a drag that we have to go through this for something that other people have naturally. However, once you are done, the paradigm shift will be incredible. You will be 5'10 but have the experience of life of someone who was 5'8.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

jerry

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »

Have you started lengthening and has Doctor Bagirov  follow up on you?   

Best wishes.

RGKEY

• just take it day by day
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2014, 03:33:55 AM »

hello giant!! well done, the most painful part is over, there will be many more types of pain but if you want 4cms, it shouldn't be that crazy difficult!! keep calm and take it day by day my friend)) I really wouldnt recommend you to go back home but hey thats your choice))) I hope you dont find your self flying back and fort because of complications, like broken pins, infections etc. Just make sure the screws are tight all the time and the rods have space enough for 4cms!!! Im curious to see how things work with this type of Ilizarov frame)) Make sure to walk a lot! stretch and use your foot holders at all times if you are not standing!! this is very important! You must keep your feet at 90degress and your knee completely straight. If you wanna finish fast you should walk minimum 5 hours a day, eat meets, carbs, and vegetables, extra proteing powder, calcium with vitamin D of course)) but you must walk a lot!! Your most important PT should be stretching your calf muscles while your knees are straight and walking. You dont really need anything else.

If 4cms makes you feel like the man then 4 centimeters it is!!!! the most important thing is that you feel good! that is the whole reason of this op right?)))

oh, avoid coffee and sugar, this also slows the bone heeling process.
RGKEY 2.0
Original height. 163.5cms. Current height 172.5cms
Operation on 6/4/13 Tibias 9 centimeters

almost_tom_cruise

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »

Dear Wannabegiants,

I've been reading your diary.

I wouldn't like you to feel bad for what you've done. There is no point after something is decidedly done, allowing the past to yank at your pants. There is a new wannabegiants now.

I stand 168 cm. I'm considering Dr. Bagirov, too, due to my financial powers :P. I realize his last name is Turkish if you don't count in the last Russian/Bulgarian suffix -ov.

I was wondering, Could you confirm if he can speak Turkey's Turkish? (Since you had mentioned they hang a bit low on the English side).

I am really curios to follow your diary, I've already added a shortcut to my destop :) . Your diary is very important to me to make my final decision with the doctor. Hope all is going well with you. Hope to hear from you soon with the updates.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:13:45 PM by almost_tom_cruise »

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »

"Bagir" means "Shout" in Turkish, though "Bagirov" sounds Azerbaijani. Most people I know from Azerbaijan can grasp Turkish, but I can't exactly grasp Azerbaijani, I have to listen very carefully, it's a different dialect. Most people from Azerbaijan also speak Russian.

almost_tom_cruise

• Visitor
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »

Hi Chris,

I've been reading your diary, too, :), There is one language, Turkish language based on Turkish grammar. Azerbaijan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Kazakistan, Ozbekistan, Kirgizistan, they all speak the same language with their own dialects.  "Bagir" is asian-dialect of "bekir" in Turkey. It's not about "bagir" :) or shouting. -ov in bulgarian for -son in English, like Jack-son, Bagir-ov. In Turkey, it is bekiroglu.

I support your decision going with Istanbul. Highly advanced city in health. A lot of Turkish doctors are trained in either europe or the states and they come back with the latest skill-sets.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »

I went to Istanbul because I'm Turkish.. It's basically where I live anyway  :D
That "Bekiroglu" explanation for mind blowing. Thanks for the linguistics lesson!
And thanks for supporting my decision.. It's ironic that we're so terrible with social and human rights, yet so advanced in the medical sector (on par with the US and arguably better than Europe)

@Wannabegiant:

Sorry for crowding up your diary man. Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:52:42 PM by ChrisIsaak »

almost_tom_cruise

• Visitor
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »

Chris, we look alike in some ways, though I am older at 32 (but I show very young like 25 :), hope that's a good thing :p ). I'm Turkish, too. From the city of Izmir originally. And about to become a US citizen after a year, living in NY as you are a US citizen, too, if I'm not wrong. I like the entertaining way of yours telling things in your diary :) It's fun to read. Wish you a sound recovery.

@Wannabegiants: Sorry about the clutter :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:30:23 PM by almost_tom_cruise »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Dear Wannabegiants,

I've been reading your diary.

I wouldn't like you to feel bad for what you've done. There is no point after something is decidedly done, allowing the past to yank at your pants. There is a new wannabegiants now.

I stand 168 cm. I'm considering Dr. Bagirov, too, due to my financial powers :P. I realize his last name is Turkish if you don't count in the last Russian/Bulgarian suffix -ov.

I was wondering, Could you confirm if he can speak Turkey's Turkish? (Since you had mentioned they hang a bit low on the English side).

I am really curios to follow your diary, I've already added a shortcut to my destop :) . Your diary is very important to me to make my final decision with the doctor. Hope all is going well with you. Hope to hear from you soon with the updates.

Hello guys sorry for my inactivity, ive been tired because of lack of sleep my last nights, i will post some updates today to let everyone know how it is going. So far everything has been pretty managable.

Dr. Bagirov, im almost certain that he is Azeri (from Azerbadjan) same with his assistant, Dr. Fahkri. They both have very limited English, but speak perfect Russian and i assume the native language of their home country. Im not sure if people from Azerbadjan are turkic or iranian but if his name is Turkish i guess that is your answer. But i dont know if all turkic people from different countries  speak the same language, i wouls assume their would be some differences but im not sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up