Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral femurs with PRECICE 2. Dr Franz BIRKHOLTZ. South Africa. Feb 2016  (Read 32097 times)

yagen

Another update. Pain just came back, and it came badly. My left leg is super painful now, my ITB burns like crazy and is limiting my knee flexion all of a sudden (paired with my harmstrings). My mobility and strentght is really good, but this ITB/hamstrings/nerve pain... is draining me again. At least I have no problems sleeping yet

Anyone with experience with this ITB pain can give me any advice?

Thanks!

Toafrica keep pushing foward !!!

I think the pain is different with fitbone and precise, but soft tissues are the same, now you are in a milestone between 1,5 to 3 cms its the worst part, but I have just done 5 cm. I dont know how is the pain beyond.

Can you sleep well? what are you taking??

Cheers

toafrica

Thank you all for the answers.

Ouroboros. Dr B hasn't said anything yet. I sent Ann email but he's aout of the country this week, so he didn't answer. I'll see him next Tuesday (monday is public holiday here). I don't know if it's normal, that's why I ask here. I would expect an ITB release to make easier the lengthening of that structure, not the opposite. I emailed dr Delange, his partner, and he told me that there's nothing we can do besides stretching.

TRS. Thanks, I see I'm not alone, the pain is exactly as you described it. I didn't suffer this before, but it just started with the second month. As for dictraction, I'm doing 1.33mm per day and 1mm every other day, in 0.33 intervals. I'll ask Franz when he comes back what he thinks. He also knows about the nerve pain, he didn't think it was important at this stage, so he gave me Lyrica and a muscle relaxant. Pain then stopped completely for about 5days and then came back this week.

Yagen. Thanks buddy, I hope after 3 gets better, I'll be there by the end of the week I think. I can sleep perfectly, just waking up every 3 hours to take my medication (I set an alarm), but sometimes they just knock me out for 6-7h . I would actually say that I'm sleeping now better than before surgery, when I woke up 5-6 times per night. Might me the tiredness or the medication, I don't know. I'm not taking any medication for my sleeping.

TIBIKE200

1.33mm?! That's too much!
I learned some stuff during this time

Nightwish

Have you been doing 1.33/1 the whole way?
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

toafrica

They've suddenly stopped my oxycodone and they gave me a patch instead. It's been like hell the withdrawal of that drug, I never thought I could reach a pain 10/10, but a couple of days ago I did. I couldn't even move at all because of pain. Dr B told me to reduce to 4x0.25mm and it's like heaven and hell. I still have pain, but I can at least live with it.

I'll reach 3cm on Monday. My flexibility is being reduced dramatically, specially because this nerve pain. I hope with this new relaxed rate I can get back on track

TIBIKE200

They've suddenly stopped my oxycodone and they gave me a patch instead. It's been like hell the withdrawal of that drug, I never thought I could reach a pain 10/10, but a couple of days ago I did. I couldn't even move at all because of pain. Dr B told me to reduce to 4x0.25mm and it's like heaven and hell. I still have pain, but I can at least live with it.

I'll reach 3cm on Monday. My flexibility is being reduced dramatically, specially because this nerve pain. I hope with this new relaxed rate I can get back on track

So you have done 1.33mm un until now?! No wonder you are in such a suffering.. Is this doctor for real? I hope you didnt damaged your muscles too much already...
  Idiot doc

toafrica

It's been 1,33/1mm alternating, but just for 2 weeks. I just can't do it without painkillers, I may be too weak, idk. However I don't think the dr is an idiot. But all opinion is respected. I know it may sounds too fast (even for me it sounds)

TIBIKE200

It's been 1,33/1mm alternating, but just for 2 weeks. I just can't do it without painkillers, I may be too weak, idk. However I don't think the dr is an idiot. But all opinion is respected. I know it may sounds too fast (even for me it sounds)

"just two weeks". 14 days of tearing up your soft tissue non stop. 1.33 is basically 33% more than what other docs usually reccomend as safe max... I hope you didnt get irriversable damage.

TRS

Has Dr.B prescribed Synaleve tablets to you? That worked for me during LL.

toafrica

Hi TRS, yes I have the patch, and synaleve, and the muscle relaxant, and Lyrica. They just stopped oxynorm, which was what caused me the huge withdrawal I had the other day.

However for some reason in my family we have this weird immunity to paracetamol, which means it does absolutely no effect on us normally. So 800mg of paracetamol that are in the synaleve pills are just for nothing I believe. I take them because of the other ingredients.

I'm about 5 weeks after surgery and still have lots of pain, I wish I could say like other LLers that I have no pain after the 1st month until reaching something like 6-7cm. It looks like it's gonna be painful all the way long. So either it's not true that between 3 and 6cm you have no pain, or I just have bad luck. The new rate of 4x0,25mm is much more bearable though.

And TIBIKE2000, I hope the same.

toafrica

I had muy consultation with dr B today. The xrays show an increment of about 3,1cm. The good news is that my bone consolidation seems to be extremely fast, which is really good for long term recovery. The bad news is that my muscles are having a hard time catching up with the lengthening rate and I've lost a lot of flexibility.

Because bone growth is so fast dr B explained me that we may need to increase again the distraction rate, otherwise the bone will consolidate too soon. The problem is that I will need to recover muy flexibility extremely fast, otherwise we may need to stop lengthening because it's too much for my muscles (or too fast).

For now I'm stopping taking the calcium and we keep 0.25x4. I've been stretching literally the whole day. I hope I don't have too finish this before I expected. Even with +8cm I would still be short, but going through all this to still being super short... That's another thing. I hope muy body can handle a reasonable amount before stopping.

It's not a happy day, but I wanted to share it for future LLers, so you can know that this   happens

Oh and regarding the thing of saying that dr B is exposing me to unnecessary damage because of the lengthening rate (as TIBIKE200 said). It's not actually him but my bone growth that dictates this. He is actually super concerned about safety and told me straight away we might need to stop before (which I'll do whatever is on my hands to avoid)

TIBIKE200

I had muy consultation with dr B today. The xrays show an increment of about 3,1cm. The good news is that my bone consolidation seems to be extremely fast, which is really good for long term recovery. The bad news is that my muscles are having a hard time catching up with the lengthening rate and I've lost a lot of flexibility.

Because bone growth is so fast dr B explained me that we may need to increase again the distraction rate, otherwise the bone will consolidate too soon. The problem is that I will need to recover muy flexibility extremely fast, otherwise we may need to stop lengthening because it's too much for my muscles (or too fast).

For now I'm stopping taking the calcium and we keep 0.25x4. I've been stretching literally the whole day. I hope I don't have too finish this before I expected. Even with +8cm I would still be short, but going through all this to still being super short... That's another thing. I hope muy body can handle a reasonable amount before stopping.

It's not a happy day, but I wanted to share it for future LLers, so you can know that this crap happens

Oh and regarding the thing of saying that dr B is exposing me to unnecessary damage because of the lengthening rate (as TIBIKE200 said). It's not actually him but my bone growth that dictates this. He is actually super concerned about safety and told me straight away we might need to stop before (which I'll do whatever is on my hands to avoid)

Isnt there a way to slow the consolidation? Like even smoking?

toafrica

Well... I could try smoking, I didn't propose it to the dr, I have history of asthma though. But no, so far I don't know of any way. I'll see him next week and let's see what's up

Peaceout

Sorry to hear your troubles.This is kinda intresting actually,if you try faster lengthening rate it may cause some problems later and if you slow it down you are consolidating super fast..I hope you can achieve your goal.
Great diary btw.Keep us updated:)

ouroboros

Well... I could try smoking, I didn't propose it to the dr, I have history of asthma though. But no, so far I don't know of any way. I'll see him next week and let's see what's up

Is it possible to do another osteotomy in the event that your bones consolidate early?   Guichet suggested it in the past, and IamReady said that if his tibias would consolidate with precise, he would come back a year later to "re-break" his legs to max out his nails.....  just wondering

goldenegg

do as much PT as you possibly can. like hours of stretching and as much stationary bike your dr says is safe per day.  hopefully that will help.

sorry to hear about the pre-consolidation issues, but like you said it'll be much better for your long term recovery and it's an infinitely better problem to have than the opposite (delayed or non-unions)

Nightwish

How's everything going?

toafrica

Hi there, thanks for the interest. I update again, we have 4 non smirking days in a row here so I'll be at home during the whole time without physio or anything. Nothing we can do so I'll try to do my best on my own.

Pain has almost disappear. You feel the typical soreness here and there depending on how you move or what muscles work. Could be because of the pain medication, although I'm not taking much, much less than before. The only time you can really say is too painful is at physio and in the morning after the whole night without moving (yes, now I can sleep 6-8h without waking up to take painkillers). The pain is like if someone hit your legs with a bat the whole night and then you wake up. Fortunately it lasts just 1 or 2h.

Regarding my flexibility, I've recovered quite a lot this week. Physio it's been super intense and now I feel much more flexible. I also stretch by myself a lot, but normally after physio my muscles are so sore (like if you workout one muscle for 3h), that I can't stretch intensely. But I try to stop gentle stretchings most of the time to keep it going. The only thing that bothers me is a sharp pain like a knife in my right knee that completely blocks it to go to full extension. I can do it after warming up and going slowly, but when it gets cold again it comes back. Looks like some muscle tearing due to overstretching ot something like that, it's going better, but it's pretty annoying.

One thing that's been awesome, following dr B recommendations, it's been a warm bath. I took one today for about 1h doing nothing, just relaxing, and my muscles got relaxed to a point I haven't seen in a long time. Right after I could stretch them a lot more. Although later o.k. they came back to the normal tightness, I think that if I do that regularly it can help a lot (although going in and out the bath it's deeper complicated in this condition).

Peaceout. Thanks for the wishes, dr B told me he would see me next week. I believe he wants to speed up again to avoid consolidation. I'll keep you posted

Ouroboros. I guess so. Last consultation dr B seemed pretty busy, it was by far the day when he's been the least talkative. I think he was pretty stressed. So his answers were basically there's nothing to do, we spped up or it will stop before we wanted. I'll ask him next time of I have the chance. He didn't really give me alternative options that day, let's see

Goldenegg. Thanks for your words. Yes it's definitely better to have a strong bone for the long term that the opposite. I just hope we can lengthen faster than it heals. As you said I'm doing as much PT as I can (although now we have lots of holidays). I do bike but I try to don't do much, because my muscles get quite tight after that exercise and it's more difficult to lengthen afterwards. We have to be careful to no overstretch or damage the muscles, at the same time that we stretch them as much as possible. If you get muscle tearing or contracture cause you went too fast, you'll lose a lot of time recovering it.

Nightwish. I hope the update answers your question :)

Btw I'm having a lot of problems with my laptop since last week (all related to windows). If there's an IT guy around here, please comment or send me a PM, I just don't know how to fix this thing before it breaks completely

Nightwish

Glad the flexibility is returning. Wouldn't say I'm a computer whiz!, but what's the problem with your laptop?

yagen

How do you feel??  :) :) :)

toafrica

I'll update soon when I have a moment. I downloaded tinder for the 1st time ever, and it uses any time I have when I'm not stretching. I don't know how you guys do, but when you get to more than 10 active conversations... For me it gets hectic!! Anyways, I'll update soon

TIBIKE200

I'll update soon when I have a moment. I downloaded tinder for the 1st time ever, and it uses any time I have when I'm not stretching. I don't know how you guys do, but when you get to more than 10 active conversations... For me it gets hectic!! Anyways, I'll update soon

You naughty you hihi ;)

hyong

Hi there

Congratulations you are 50% done  8)
Great to know that pain have subsided and you are enjoying the company as well ::)

toafrica

Hi there

Congratulations you are 50% done  8)
Great to know that pain have subsided and you are enjoying the company as well ::)

Thank you hyong. South African girls are the best I've met so far.

Yesterday I saw drB and had xrays. Lengthening is about 4,5cm now, so 3-3,5 more to go. My right leg is healing super fast, so we are speeding up to 1,25 per day in order to prevent the bone healing. My flexibility is not too bad, although much worse than before. But is expected that it'll drop faster at this new rate. Thankfully I should be done in about 1 month or so.

Nightwish

I thought Dr B had a fairly rigid limit with lengthening. What's the deal with that? How have you found Dr B and his staff. I'm presuming you can write whatever you want in your diary etc?

toafrica

Update.

I should be just over 6cm today. I'll see Franz next week. I hope to be able to do anywhere between 1-2cm more

alps

Update.

I should be just over 6cm today. I'll see Franz next week. I hope to be able to do anywhere between 1-2cm more

that's awesome man!

6 cm is a solid gain. how does it feel?

toafrica

I had yesterday a pretty serious side effect from Lyrica, so we reduced the dose and today pain was absolutely awful. Starting to feel a bit better now.

Overall, my flexibility has been decreased a lot with this super speed and I have a lot of tightness everywhere. Weird numbness and needle feelings started a few days ago.

I will just take it all and finish this last days, I don't think it's good to right when you're down.

Regarding my height, I don't know yet. I've being hanging around with different females between 1.67 and 1,70 ( girls are quite tall here) and I feel around the same height. I should be just under 1,70 now. So let's see with time, but I can't say I feel tall at all (I started really short tho)

axelf

Hey,

which side effect were you talking about? Stay tough though!

toafrica

Hey,

which side effect were you talking about? Stay tough though!

Hi axelf, the side effect that worried me the most was speech impairment. It started after increasing Lyrica to 300mg per day. It disappeared right after going back to 150.

I have officially finished muy lengthening today with 7,5cm of total gain. I saw Franz on Thursday and took the xrays. At that time I was supposed to be slightly over 7,1, as the xray confirmed. So I continued 4 more days to get 7,5.

I've been lengthening a total of 70 days with no complications regarding the nails or lengthening itself, just weird side effects of some meds. Idk if it would be tagged as complication, but the last xray showed a slight bending of the nails. Franz said that it won't have almost effect on the total gain, but I'll try to speak with him about it next week. I'm quite worried of walking or weight bearing, even with the walker, I don't want to increase this bending.

In a few days I'll leave the country and go back home. I have to say that I'll miss some friends and girls I've meet in here, but life continues. Now I start the longest part of recovery. I'll try to keep you posted, although I don't expect major changes in a while.

Regarding pain, I have no pain of I'm lying on bed, just in the inside of my right knee since a couple of weeks ago. I have numbness that comes and goes in both tibias randomly during the night. I'm taking no meds or painkillers except for the calcium, it's been 2 days already.

My athletic ability is obviously non-existent at this point. I can walk with the walker, although it's difficult due to tightness. I'm mostly in my wheelchair. My flexibility is horrible, it's really difficult to straighten my knees. I can bend around 120-130°

alps

Congrats man!

How hard was it from 6cm to 7.5cm? Did you get significantly worse?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up