Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How much should I go for [5'9]  (Read 4521 times)

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
How much should I go for [5'9]
« on: April 29, 2019, 06:21:44 PM »

I come from a tall Montenegrin family (males pretty much average 6'3 in my extended family) and I must have done something so terrible in my past life to end up 5'9 evening height so LLS is something I'm considering more and more.

Here are my proportions: https://imgur.com/B12YRW3

How much height should I get? How much athletic abilities will I lose? How (un)proportional will I look after?

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
Re: How much should I go for [5'9]
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »

Dude you're already at a decent height. I guarantee you don't suffer from extreme discrimination like the rest of us other than small jabs to the ego from your family. Which if that's the case why do you feel the need to compete with your family anyway?

Visit a physiatrist to fix you're height neurotism you'll save your money and time, but most importantly you won't have to suffer extreme pain.

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »

For my current generation I am definitely 3 inches below average. No I don't suffer from extreme discrimination thankfully, but I'll gladly increase my legs and put up with the unbearable legs to at least average height.

YungGud

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »

Daamn, your legs does look kind of short
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:40:27 PM »

I understand what it's like to be shorter than your siblings but because your of average male height already it maybe easier for you to simply adress your BDD first just to see if it improves your mental state.

If it still persists then, yeah, surgery may be something you should consider more seriously.

Knik

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »

Long torso and long arms
That’s a good beginning
Looking for Pili

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:17:30 PM »

I understand what it's like to be shorter than your siblings but because your of average male height already it maybe easier for you to simply adress your BDD first just to see if it improves your mental state.

If it still persists then, yeah, surgery may be something you should consider more seriously.
I think there was some misunderstanding - national average height is close to 6ft, and is most likely more than that observing my current generation. I'm considering LLS a little short of a decade from now - late 20s. I'm just asking how much height could I go for. what's safe? whats less safe but reasonable?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:44:29 PM by howdidthishappen »

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:18:39 PM »

Long torso and long arms
That’s a good beginning

Could I squeeze 4,5 inches then?

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »

I think max is typically around 4 inchs with two seperate surgeries. Although you have the proportions lengthening too much will become extremely debilitating from  reading many of the diaries on this forum.

Fortunately you'll be above your nations average. With the correct shoes you'll be a lot taller.

Also yeah you are short for a male in Montenegro I've just realised from looking at the national averages, my apologies. So yeah I think this surgery would be really beneficial to your mental state

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »

I think max is typically around 4 inchs with two seperate surgeries. Although you have the proportions lengthening too much will become extremely debilitating from  reading many of the diaries on this forum.

Fortunately you'll be above your nations average. With the correct shoes you'll be a lot taller.

Also yeah you are short for a male in Montenegro I've just realised from looking at the national averages, my apologies. So yeah I think this surgery would be really beneficial to your mental state

thanks. So separate as in splitting the height between the femur and tibia?

also are there any possible safer lengthening methods available in around a decade from now?

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »

Yeah split the height between tibias and femurd. Usually 6-7cm is recommended on femurs and 4-5cm on tibias.
It's definitely best to pick the lowest values of the range to ensure you retain most athletic ability when it's over.

Nah the safest method on femurs at the moment is stryde. Since it is full weight bearing and remote controlled so lengthening is extremely precise, I don't know how this could be improved anymore.

I think in the future stem cells should be able to be used to dramatically increase the speed of consolidation. Of course this would be seperate to the surgery itself so you'd probably have to purchase that treatment seperately

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »

Yeah split the height between tibias and femurd. Usually 6-7cm is recommended on femurs and 4-5cm on tibias.
It's definitely best to pick the lowest values of the range to ensure you retain most athletic ability when it's over.

Nah the safest method on femurs at the moment is stryde. Since it is full weight bearing and remote controlled so lengthening is extremely precise, I don't know how this could be improved anymore.

I think in the future stem cells should be able to be used to dramatically increase the speed of consolidation. Of course this would be seperate to the surgery itself so you'd probably have to purchase that treatment seperately

I see.

Last question, how much athleticism will you guess I'll lose (6cm on femur and 4cm on tibia)? If anything genetics have given me a lot of fast twitch muscle fibers so i'm fairly athletic/great sprinter despite subpar training and nutrition.

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »

People typically regain back 80-90% of their athelitiscm from what I've read , but I'm guessing if you do two surgeries then it will be less. But good nutrition etc does seem to help a lot.

Also for internal methods in every case it causes varying levels of permanent knee pain but going to a good doctor and not getting greedy with how much you lengthen will definitely reduce the chances of it being really bad.

Which doctor do you plan on going with?

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »

People typically regain back 80-90% of their athelitiscm from what I've read , but I'm guessing if you do two surgeries then it will be less. But good nutrition etc does seem to help a lot.

Also for internal methods in every case it causes varying levels of permanent knee pain but going to a good doctor and not getting greedy with how much you lengthen will definitely reduce the chances of it being really bad.

I'm still in the research stages and looking to do it in 6,7 years time, but most likely here where I live in Serbia with dr Milorad Mitkovic. I have a place in Nis too.

zlRadamanthys

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »

What is your wingspan?
Morning height: 170-171 cm
Night height: 169cm - 168cm
Inseam: 80 cm
Winspan: 178 cm
My objetive is: 6,5 or 7 cm

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »

I have sent dr Mitkovic an email

“For 10 cm necessary to do LL of both tibias and after 4 months on both femurs. Price for both tibia is 11300 EUR and price for femurs the same with discount od 10%. I do not recommend clavicle LL.”

“I use original external fixation comfortable method and device and Precice 2 internal method.

Should I avoid internal method?

Knik

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »

I have sent dr Mitkovic an email

“For 10 cm necessary to do LL of both tibias and after 4 months on both femurs. Price for both tibia is 11300 EUR and price for femurs the same with discount od 10%. I do not recommend clavicle LL.”

“I use original external fixation comfortable method and device and Precice 2 internal method.

Should I avoid internal method?

He uses monorails I wouldn’t recommand externals
But there is no diaries about internal method with him so I’m curious if he is good
Looking for Pili

myloginacc

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »

If you're from Montenegro and don't mind me asking, how tall are the women in Montenegro right now?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »

If you're from Montenegro and don't mind me asking, how tall are the women in Montenegro right now?
Average height for women is around 5’7-5’8.

myloginacc

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 01:56:18 AM »

How tall are your parents?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »

How tall are your parents?

6’3 and 5’7

177cmm

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »

Feel so sad for you.
I'm 5'11 at evening having 5'6 and 5'0 parents. My 14 yo brother is 5'7.5 already.

In your case something really went wrong. I would expect u to grow 6'2 at least.

howdidthishappen

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »

Feel so sad for you.
I'm 5'11 at evening having 5'6 and 5'0 parents. My 14 yo brother is 5'7.5 already.

In your case something really went wrong. I would expect u to grow 6'2 at least.
it's unbelievable, it really makes me sad whenever I see my family towering over me.

He uses monorails I wouldn’t recommand externals
But there is no diaries about internal method with him so I’m curious if he is good
from this study

http://oaji.net/articles/2017/1874-1533622982.pdf

it says,
"Average duration of application was 8.8months in patients of Ilizarov compared to 8.3months in rail
fixator group. Lengthening achieved in 2 patients of compression distraction was of the average 2.33cm average gain in 3 patients in Ilizarov group compared to 2.5 cm in Rail fixator group. Only 1 patient required split skin grafting as secondary procedure in Rail fixator group compared to 2 patients in Ilizarov group"

"Only 1 patient required split skin grafting as secondary procedure in Rail fixator group compared to 2 patients in Ilizarov group. Further 1 patient in latter group (Ilizarov) required bone grafting."

"According to ASAMI criteria for bone results we had 8 excellent, 5 good, 0 fair and 2 poor results in Ilizarov group, and 9 excellent, 4 good, 1 fair and 1 poor results in Rail fixator group."

I'm not sure if should I get to 2,3 inch lengthening first on the tibia and then asses if I should go for another 2 inches on the femur a few years later.

shortasiandude

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »

Sorry if I come off as rude, but 5'9 isn't short?

Iron_Man

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »

It is shorter than average, I think

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »

The knee pain is definitely not permanent for everyone... you need understand that everyone is built differently.. !!!

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 02:42:29 AM »

The knee pain is definitely not permanent for everyone... you need understand that everyone is built differently.. !!!

Yes I understand,but your stretching your body from it's natural capacity- you'll never fully recover from this surgery . It's the same as how the body isn't able to fully repair from a minor cut, there's almost always scarring no matter how unnoticeable.

But yeah you're correct most people only experience very minor knee pain after the surgery from what I've seen from studies and some say they've recovered completely but it's best to keep in mind you will most likely lose some atheltisiscm from this surgery.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 05:13:00 AM »

Don't go beyond 6cm if you do tibial lengthening. For femurs, 8cm seems to be the accepted maximum for internal methods.

With just one surgery, nobody will look at you and think your proportions are weird, so of all things to be worried about with this surgery, proportions after one segment are the least of the potential problems.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Activatedx

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 06:08:11 AM »

Average height for men in montenegro is 186cm which is aprx 6’1. They are some of the tallest people on the planet. Being 5’9 in montenegro is like being 5’5 in the US.

You have to understand different perspectives, 5’9 is very tall in places like Indonesia and short in countries like the Netherlands where the average height is 6ft or more for men.

Average height for Women in these countries are about his height or maybe one inch less so it’s completely understandable where he’s from

Activatedx

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 06:17:58 AM »

Could I squeeze 4,5 inches then?

5 inches seems to be the max safe limit, but not everyone can achieve it depends on your body. Fortunately for you, the taller you are the more you can lengthen, so you probably could do 5cm on Tibias and 7-8cm on femurs. However in my opinion if you don’t go to the worlds top ten best doctors or a very credible and experienced doctor you are an idiot. If you don’t have the funds save up or don’t do it at all. You will end up crippled or with permanent damage to your legs. Top doctors are paley,  donghoon lee, mahboubian. They all have good and successful diaries, however are 100-200k USD. If you’re looking for a 70-90k for both segments consider giotikas however he is nowhere near the skill set of these doctors but does have good experience. This is a huge amount of money but if you cannot afford that much don’t go with the surgery

My recommendation would be to just do 3 inches on femurs and be happy at 6ft. You’ll end up paying 50-70k

Some other doctors that have an okay reputation - Parihar, catagni, Rozbruch (excellent reputation but most expensive price in world, might as well go to paley who is best in world)

Do not use anything except stryde for femurs. It is not much more than Precice 2 and will alleviate you from tons of pain and speed up healing/reduce complications  due to weight bearing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up